It is Time to Get Bourn and Beltre

OK, in a perfect world the Dodgers need a Power-Hitting Third Baseman and a Leadoff Hitter.  Who wants to go into 2013 without a leadoff hitter and Luis Cruz at 3B?  These are not the Dodgers of old.  Their payroll currently sits at $220 million and climbing.  Money is not an issue with this bunch.  We know that the Dodgers can pay more for Michael Bourn than any other team.  I’m sure that Ned Colletti has an idea of what kind of money Bourn would jump at, so make it happen , Ned.  Now, the Dodgers have a leadoff hitter and a CF who will take the defensive stress off of Matt Kemp.

That leaves Andre Ethier as a trade chip for a 3B.  When a team like the Dodgers has plenty of money and a plan to rebuild the farm as well as a window to win NOW they need to act decisively.   If you could choose any 3B in all of baseball, who would it be?  David Wright is off the market, Kyle Seager “might” be nice, but we don’t know for sure.  Aramis Ramirez ?  Not me.  Mike Olt?  I would take him, but he’s not a sure thing.  I want a sure thing and that is Adrian Beltre. Mike Olt waits in the wings and the Rangers are very high on him.

In order to get him, the Dodgers will have to overpay, but let’s start with…

• Andre Ethier – the Rangers need to replace Josh Hamilton’s bat and Ethier will help that cause, but that may not be enough…
  • So, throw in Dee Gordon (the Rangers can trade him or groom him for CF.  Still not enough?
  • How about the Dodgers throw in Tony Gwynn and Ronald Belisario and Chris Capuano or Aaron Harang or Josh Beckett and pay their salaries?
  • Try Joc Pederson or Zach Lee if that doesn’t work.

Here’s the point:  Pay the price, get Beltre, win the World Series.  Build the farm by 2016.  The clock is ticking.  It’s only money.  It’s Guggs and Company!

Again, here’s the lineup:

Bench:

• Cruz
  • Hairston
  • Castellanos
  • Fed-Ex
  • Punto

26 Responses to “It is Time to Get Bourn and Beltre”

1. Bball says:

Wow. Love it. Beltre would be a dream of mine. My heart has been broken ever since he left. By far my favorite player of all time. I would definitely overpay for him. It Polly wont happen but I love your thinking Mark

I have my Beltre jersey from the first time he was here.

Plus, I used to watch him play in AA ball. Many many many games.

But Texas needs his bat and HR power. They have lost so much. Not sure that Ethier can match that.

But would love to see Beltre as a Dodger again. He should never have left.

Works for me.

Texas is looking to compete, not rebuild.

It sounds nice, but Texas needs to add an Ethier type with Beltre, not in place of Beltre.

Love Beltre, and maybe he has some more productive years in him. But at this stage I’m not sure I want to take on a 34 year old for Ethier and prospects. Much rather look for someone younger, or look to make improvements elsewhere, be it additional pitching, premium prospects or a top grade second baseman. Don’t have any specific suggestions, but I’d be hesitant to give away too much for Beltre, especially since trading Ethier could fortify other areas.

All in on Bourn, since he only costs money.

6. ken says:

Beltre at 3B – Really? The dodgers would be lucky to get Wilson Betemit in a trade to platoon at 3B, or even trading an excess starting pitcher to rockies for one of their young 3B who have played .5-2 years in the MLB. Look again at the dodger minor league prospects.

8 of the top 52 minor league prospects are 3B. There are not many great nor many average 3B in MLB so should the dodgers trade for a prospect or an average 3B to platoon with Cruz. I vote for the later.

I know that we are having fun with our creative GM role playing but there is a limit to how much the dodgers will spend.

Payroll at $226 mil plus arbitration increases for Ellis and Belisario.

Trading Either before Crawford is proved to be healthy is not wise.
    Why not sign Bourne and then trade Crawford and pay half of his salary for the next 5 years?

7. Pete M. says:

Makes me happy…One of my all time favs at 3B… He’s staying at Arlington though. He wouldnt like come back to the heavy air of the Ravine. Arlington lends to his march to the HOF.
    Just one more time, Beltre in a Dodger uniform charging down the line, the barehand p/u and the rocket to first. Did anyone do it better??? I can hear Vinny now. OK snap out of it Pete…
    Any late stuff on Bills or Lilly??? Throwing??? flat ground, mound or otherwise???
    Badger, didn’t Bills use the plasma rich platelet approach to his arm problem???

the middle of February can come none too soon. We, Dodger fans, will start talking about the Ballboys and Ballgirls down each line — and who should get those jobs.

If ownership wants to spend more money to add to the roster – they will. Otherwise, it is on to Spring Training, medical reports on suspects within the roster, signing maybe some more international talent — and calling it a year now.

We would be trading Ethier’s salary so there would be no increase in salary. We csnt have both players, nobody but us wants anything to do with Crawford. We are all in on him. But I think Bobby is right, Texas needs Beltre.

As I was falling asleep last night I thought of this one – Ethier for Archie Bradley and Matt Davidson. Then we sign Bourn.

10. Bobbie17 says:

I agree with Bobby. Rangers need an extra bat, not a substitute one. Any reserve catchers, shortstops out there who can play 3d? That will probably be the best Blue can do. It might be better to leave well enough alone. Beltre is 10 times the hitter he was before. He is truly great and may be a HOFer, if he plays at this level 5 more years. One of the best 3bmen of the last 15 years. But…… Bourne is overrated and we could do just as well with what we have. Or do we still have a farm system?

11. Mike Dixon says:

Is Bourne that great of a lead off hitter…..a career .270 hitter who struck out 155 times last year…..I bet Dee can come close to that if he played an entire year…..

12. Josh says:

Why not go with Cruz until the midseason. when teams start giving up hope on the season, there will be teams looking to off load and save money

• Bobby says:

Agree with this. Just cuz we have the crazy money now, we don’t need all stars at every position.

We also need gamers, grinders, hard workers, et. Guys that are willing to give up the out to sacrifice the runner and guys that are willing to dive to make the play, despite not looking pretty.

Cruz proved he’s that guy, he at least deserves a chance to begin the year.

13. ken says:

Hypothetically? possible future for dodger owners.

Guggenheim Insurance bought part of the LA Dodgers LLC so that the Guggenheim executives could buy the LAD without any debt and therefore could create a new team without any intervention from Bud. However, Guggenheim Insurance has a secret buy-sell agreement with the Guggenheim executives that they must buy the portion of the LAD LLC that Guggenheim Ins. owns either by 2015, the time that Guggenheim Insurances/Other Guggenheim company has their subsidiary Dick Clark productions create a new Cable TV station for the LAD, or the appropriate insurance commissioners declare the investment in LAD LLC a nonperforming asset that needs to be sold. At that time the Guggenheim execs purchase the LAD LLC member interests from Guggenheim Ins for debt and then Bud has the right to monitor the LAD operations once again just like when McShart was around.

At the same time the new TV contract or Cable channel is kicking off $million per year which does not go to salaries but goes to pay off the debt to Guggenheim Insurance, or whomever is the real strawman owner for the Guggenheim executives.

So lets not run the payroll too high just in case my hypothetical is true. We will know in a few years :)

Not sure what all that means ken.

Bourn gets on around .344. That ain’t great but its good enough. He is a positive WAR player who is a center fielder. He is what we need. What an outfield that would be. Will it happen? I haven’t heard anyone else talking about it. Ethier is a good player, but not a great one yet. Seems to me he hits well in Arizona, if they do get rid of Kubel, ‘dre would fit nicely there. He could also take Hamilton’s spot in Texas. But again, we seem to be the only ones talking about it. Maybe the brass is fine going into ST the way things are. There are always moves made there too.

I like Ethier too. But if we could trade him for a 5 win lead off guy I would do it

Cruz was a 2.2 win player last year for less than half a year. Will he do it for a full year? I doubt it but I don’t know. If management really trusts him, then I will too.

I’m not totally uncomfortable going into the season with Cruz at 3B, but I’m not comfortable either. Maybe Cruz did figure it out, or maybe it was all a mirage, and he’ll come back down to earth. But one thing is for sure. If Cruz is going to have success he’s going to have to learn to get on base a lot more than he did last year.

Other than Hanley, there is no one presently in the Dodgers organization that I know of who is a legitimate candidate to play 3B. If Cory Saeger is the answer, that won’t be for several years. Maybe the Dodgers found a future stud at 3B among all the international players they signed. If they did, it’s probably a kid that’s 16-18 years old, and lots of years away from Dodger Stadium. Trade candidates? Not sure who’s available, and what the price would be. And in seeking a long term solution the Dodgers are likely to consider if there will be any third baseman of note who might be free agents next year.

If Bourn gets on around .344, then I’d be happy to have him leading off. And maybe in a strong Dodgers lineup, he could improve on that number. And he’s the kind of hitter who could probably take advantage of the spacious ballparks in the NL West. And the improvement in defense in both CF and RF would be huge. Throw in Carl Crawford in LF, and that outfield covers an awful lot of ground.

• Josh says:

Cruz batted 7th last season. No one was pitching around him. They were throwing strikes. Cruz didn’t strike out much: 34 times in 283 AB (12%). Compare that to Kemp who struck out 25% of his AB. Cruz wasn’t getting balls to take a walk on. So contact was his game, and he did alright with it. Cruz also played excellent defense.

15. jerry says:

i still like either…yes he cant hit left handers..but he still has decent power and hit tons of doubles., his ave..is about 284. and to me he is a great out fielder., my be two erors all yr.., you get new player ..and sometime that dont do good at a new park..so you never no what your going to get…so let not get to picky,

If we were presented with the current Dodger lineup at the beginning of last season, everyone would be saying “Lets print the playoff tickets now”. We have owners with money and it seems like we want every free agent that will even help a little bit dispite the cost. My what a difference a year makes. I think Cruz and Either will be fine until we can make some better deals at the trade deadline. I would rather see the Dodgers building a foundation with some younger guys now like the 3rd baseman in Seattle (Saeger). If not him, players like that. I’m glad we didn’t take the bait and over pay for Josh Hamilton. That deal will go bad within a year or two. I’m just looking forward to ST with a team that has a great chance of winning this year. Any news on Billingsley or Lilly? Kershaw, Grenkie, Ryu, Becket and ? Harang, Cap or one of the two mentioned first. I don’t know anything about Ryu, but if he’s a projected #3 then that’s not bad. Peace in Dodgerland

17. Beckett_rockett says:

I think Luis Cruz would be good enough at 3B. Beltre is too old.
    and Bourn is down-grade version of Carl Crawford’s prime. we don’t need another CC.
    with trading Capuano, dodgers need to get solid prospect. if the partner is Pirates, Heredia is my favorite.

I am counting in CC proving all the haters wrong.

19. Pete M. says:

Ditto on Carl Crawford. I see him as a fan favorite this year.. Carl I beleive is on borrowed time, albeit expensive. The hopeful battle with Castellanos, Puig and Pederson will be expedite his trade in the next couple years… I see Castellanos winning a job out of ST and doing some good things…

Yeah, we all know Crawford is overpaid, but he can still be a valuable piece in the run for the play-offs. Please just stay on the field Carl.

1. [...] It is Time to Get Bourn and Beltre OK, in a perfect world the Dodgers need a Power-Hitting Third Baseman and a Leadoff Hitter.  Who wants to go into 2013 without a leadoff hitter and Luis Cruz at 3B?  These are not the Dodgers of old.  Their payroll currently sits at $220 million and climbing.  Money is not an issue with this bunch.  [...]… [...]