Ethier Way – It Makes Sense

Of course, the Dodgers will deny that they want to trade Andre Ethier.  They say that they are not, but can’t stop offers from coming in.  The Dodgers don’t want to alienate Andre, but you can bet your sweet bippy that they are trying to trade him.  I can’t see the Dodgers really being interested in Nick Swisher, but I can see them interesting Michael Bourn.  As I have already written, Michael Bourne would solve two problems:

1. The Dodgers get a leadoff hitter; and
  2. Matt Kemp can move to RF where his body will be less stressed.

Those are both good things. Getting Michael Bourn while losing Andre Ethier, would not automatically make the Dodgers better, but it would, if they got value back in trade for Ethier.  Oh, and they could up the ante and include a mix of  players, like below:

A power hitting  3B or 2B would be on the short list.  With the right package:

• Could the Dodgers get Adrian Beltre or Mike Olt?  I know they could get Olt for Ethier even up!
  • Could the Dodgers get Kevin Will Middlebrooks for a package of Ethier (re-united with his buddy, Dustin), Gordon, Capuano, Cruz and Belisario?
  • Could the Dodgers get Kyle Seager for Ethier, Capuano, Lee and Cruz?
  • Could the Dodgers get David Freese for Ethier, Capuano, Lee, Gordon, Cruz and Pederson?
  • Could the Dodgers get Chase Headley for prospects that are acquired from a third team for  Ethier, Gordon,  Capuano, Lee, Pederson, Tolleston?
  • Could the Dodgers get Ryan Zimmerman (the Nats Top Prospect is a 3B) for Ethier, Capuano, Gordon, Belisario and Lee?

I know one of those trades could be made.

Would the Dodgers be a better team with this lineup?

1. Bourn  CF
  2. Ellis/Schumaker  2B
  3. Kemp  RF
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Ramirez  SS
  6. Zimmerman  3B
  7. Crawford LF
  8. Ellis  C

UPDATE:  I do not mean that the Dodgers would trade ALL of those players for a 3B.  I am merely suggesting that a package of 2 or 3 players, depending upon the trade partners needs.  For instance, if Ryan Zimmerman were the target, teh Nats might want Ethier, Beliasrio and Capuano while a team like the Padres might want Lee, Gordon, Pederson or others.  Also, these are just trade suggestions, so don’t get your panties in a bunch.  I did make a mistake in calling Will  Middlebrooks “Kevin.”  Then some moron says “If a so-called blogger doesn’t know the name of a pro baseball player like Will Middlebrooks and calls him Kevin. Then I just cannot respect what he has to say.”  It must be nice to be perfect and never make mistakes.  That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.  I guarantee EVERY blogger and writer makes those kinds of mistakes.  I don’t respect morons.

32 Responses to “Ethier Way – It Makes Sense”

Mark, Mark, Mark — you keep throwing out 4, 5, 6 players with Ethier as one — one case above, 6 players for Freese. Now if you are wanting to clean out the 40 man roster, fine. Or, if you are wanting to over-whelm them with 6 to 1, fine.

But I just would not do that. Freese will be 30 years old next season. He has a total of 1,105 major league ABs. A total of 35 HRs. A lifetime average of .296.

2. the truth hurts says:

We need Bourne and a 3B badly.

Let Cruz play 2nd.

I know someone who is a Red Sox fan, so I’ve heard about Middlebrooks numerous times. So I can tell you it’s “Will” not “Kevin” Middlebrooks. But that’s OK, you have a long way to go before you catch up to me in total errors.

I’m all in on trading Ethier if it brings back value in the deal, and then the Dodgers further fortify themselves by signing a player like Michael Bourn. I too don’t have any real interest in Nick Swisher. In fact, I wonder what his power numbers would be once he got out of the HR haven that is the new Yankee Stadium. Although, what do I know? Being a switch hitter who can hit both right and lefthanders, and having demonstrated the ability to get on base with regularity, maybe Swisher is better than I envision. I’d simply have to see him on a regular basis to come to any firm conclusions. I’ve also seen Michael Morse’s name bandied about. Might have some interest there if something could be worked out.

Some of those names above would be nice to have. Just depends on the price.

Olt for Ethier straight up? Well of course they could do that! But that would be really, really dumb.

In fact, every one of those deals is really really dumb. Roger is right, you want to give up a proven middle of the order ML hitter, an All Star with a Gold Glove, and all of our best prospects for one player?

Get real. There are many teams that would love to trade with you. How about we get Olt and Martin Perez? Or, Olt, Lewis Brinson and Luke Jackson? Or instead of Olt, we get the best power hitter in their organization, 3b Joey Gallo, their best atlete Lewis Brinson AND lhp Martin Perez. These guys are all nothing but prospects. Ethier steps right into that lineup and hits .290 with 25 dingers and 95 rbi’s.

Ethier is worth a whole lot more than you think he is.

• Jeff Alan says:

I totally agree. Ethier is a 2 time all star who has a .360 OBP with 20+ HR. Giving him away for a prospect who has never proven anything at the MLB level is crazy. If Texas is trying to trade Olt for anyone and everyone, then they dont see him as a valuable piece. That says alot.

“In a radio interview on WAAF’s Hill-Man Morning Show, Kevin Youkilis said that his ideal choice would’ve been to play on the west coast near his Bay Area home”

Are we to believe Youk is not a fit with the Dodgers?

6. Idahoal says:

Come on Mark. Look at what you are giving away. Yes, we could use a lead off hitter. Yes, we could use a third baseman. But, at what price. Our farm system is not very strong. We need to stock it with some good players. The only two third basemen I would take are Seager and Headley. I would give them only two players for either Seager or Headley, and one would not be Either. It would be nice to have an upgrade, but not necessary. It looks like you are dealing from weakness by giving up so many players. I agree with Badger, Either is worth a lot more and he’s worth a lot to the Dodgers. I am worried a lot more about Crawford. I hope I am wrong.

7. ken says:

Yes, Hot Stove is always fun!

Isn’t Swisher another one of those yankees that chokes in post season?

All teams know that the dodgers are desperate for a lead off hitter and a 3B so the price is very high and presumably not worth what is being talked about currently. The prices may change in June.

William Scott Middlebrooks certainly should be considered when the Red Soxs implode in 2013! With only 75 games in MLB, waiting until mid season would be a good idea.

Anthony Rendon 3B, the other #1 Nats prospect, is recovering from significant shoulder and ankle injuries. Wow nelly!

8. dodger fan says:

• ken says:

He works 80 hours a week so we tease him and then give him a break!

• Mark_Timmons says:

Some moron says \”If a so-called blogger doesn’t know the name of a pro baseball player like Will Middlebrooks and calls him Kevin. Then I just cannot respect what he has to say.\” It must be nice to be perfect and never make mistakes. That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. I guarantee EVERY blogger and writer makes those kinds of mistakes. I don\’t respect morons.

Mark, whatever you’re drinking, I sure all hope its 18 years or better!!!

And share with the rest of us

I think we are all in agreement about this one.

We had a take Mark. Did it suck? I don’t think so. If we trade Ethier, we had better get multiple top prospects in return, or equal (or better) ML WAR in return.

Brooklyn makes a good point about Swisher away from NY, but believe it or not, that park is very similar in yielding home runs as Chavez:

His sOPS+ was actually pretty good on the road – 137. (Ethier’s was 96) I don’t know. Maybe Swisher is better than I thought he was. We could do worse.

You know what might make sense, and would be a good deal for Seattle, Ethier for Seager straight up. Ethier had a 3 WAR last year, Seager a 2.6. I think Ethier is a better hitter, but, maybe that’s just me. It would suck if Kyle’s brother beat him out at his position in a couple of years, but, we could trade one of them. Ian Kinsler had an off year last year (95 OPS+) Maybe something could be worked out for him.

Still plenty of time. But I would think something will happen with Bourn before ST. His problem could be his agent. I wonder what he is asking?

If you listen to him, and I seldom do, sounds like another $100 million player.

Update above

12. RoidRage says:

DEal from strength not your weakness. Ethier is a Dodger Strength, so the Dodgers don’t need to deal as if he is a weakness, translation – you don’t have to give away the prospects and other veterans along with Ethier in order to get a good deal for a player you want. I have heard some say the best way to negotiate is “Take it or leave it” stance, in this instance that should be the stance with another team that wants Ethier, “Take Ethier and we want Player X, take it or leave it”. NOw that actually must be the Dodgers attitude when it comes to moving Ethier.

I don’t want Planet X. That is the apocalypse come to visit. It means the end of the world as we know it…. poles shifting, volcanoes erupting, earthquakes, floods, the New Madrid split, South American roll…….

wait… what?…

nevermind……..

13. Gonzo says:

If Ethier goes, I hope it’s in the right deal. What worries me is a back up for Gonzalez. Berkman maybe? In a pinch he can play OF too.

14. Pete M. says:

RR – Well put on Dre…Patience is the key… We don’t need to trade him unless you make me a real good deal.
    Berkman…I’d love to have a guy like Berkman on my bench, but I think his heart is in Texas and being close to his family…What about Jim Thome again??? I think he could still pick em every couple weeks or so…We’re not talking Methuselah with A-Gon yet…
    It has been my mantra year after year with our bench, “Where’s the Pop???”
    When Ii stand in front of the tote board in Vegas, my $$$/heart will be on the Dodgers in 2013, but I still consider the Gigantes favorite in the NL West until otherwise proven wrong. I will gladly eat crow lightly sauteed though on that prediction.

i have been screaming to bring Thome in here for two years. We had him for a few weeks in 2009. Bring Jim in . . . Bring Jim in . . . Bring Jim in . . .

16. JDDlive says:

The Marlins would do this trade, perhaps with another prospect.

The Marlins would offset the bad press by getting the next Cuban star and fill 3 other holes. In fact in their division it would make them almost competitive.

Dodgers Trade:
    Yasiel Puig the Cuban prospect (image him in Florida)
    Carl Crawford (pay $10M of his 2012 salary)
    Chad Billingsley (doesn’t need surgery)
    Aaron Harang

Marlins Trade:
    Giancarlo Stanton

• ken says:

Probably not even going to happen if the dodgers pay $10 mil a year for the length of Crawford’s contract. Throw in the top 3 dodger pitching prospects and the Marlins might not laugh at the dodger’s offer.

17. Gonzo says:

People need to realize, that it wouldn’t matter if the Dodgers paid 99.9% of Crawford’s salary HE ISN’T going anywhere. I think we will be pl;pleasantly surprised with Crawford. If your looking for his TB ray days you will be disappointed, but a line of .280-.300 avg 13-18 HRs 55-75 RBI with 80-100 runs scored. To get Stanton it’d have to start with Puig, Pederson, Lee and prospects from dealing Ethier.

18. DodgerDude says:

I really think it is a good idea to trade Dre and Bourn could be a nice addition if the price is not outrageous. There are underlying reasons why many of the third basemen Mark mentioned could be available in the right deal. For instance Ryan Zimmerman could be available if they got a bat like Dre because their number one prospect is Anthony Rendon, who is a stud 3B prospect. To me, the trade proposals are interesting and could be realistic.

I remember Mark saying that he’d like Adrian Gonzalez a year or so ago and you all thought he was crazy. Some of you need to cool your jets and use a little imagination and the Dude that says he doesn’t respect Mark because he called Will Kevin is a true dumbass.

It’s Hot Stove………………….. Everyone should dream big. It’s the same feeling as hitting the lotto.

I agree with Gonzo on Crawford. We got him cuz we need him. Lets give him a chance.

I say again, nobody with any sense trades a middle of the order All Star Gold Glove winner for one prospect. That is just crazy talk, I don’t care who that prospect is. I still like my trade, Ethier for Matt Davidson and Archie Bradley. Davidson may be ready now and Bradley is a right handed Kershaw. Ethier is from Arizona and would love hitting there. Same division? So what? Ethier can’t hit left handers, remember?

Blockbuster trade!!!

The John Ely era is over. My number 48 jersey is now retired.

22. LFein says:

Consider this……Mark McGwire is the new hitting coach for the Dodgers. And I’m sure his main objective is improving Ethier’s performance against southpaws. He worked miracles in St. Louis. Ccncentration should be towards maybe Headley or Beltre….how about Longoria?

1. [...] caveats. View full post on Yahoo! Sports – MLB – Los Angeles Dodgers more… Ethier Way – It Makes Sense – ladodgertalk.com 12/19/2012 Of course, the Dodgers will deny that they want to trade Andre [...]