Dodgers Trade John Ely

Today the Dodgers traded RHP John Ely to the Houston Astros in exchange for minor league LHP Rob Rasmussen.

Rasmussen, 23, is a native of Arcadia and played collegiately at UCLA after starring at Polytechnic High School in Pasadena. In 2007, the Dodgers selected him in the 27th round of the amateur draft, but he decided to attend UCLA instead.

Rasmussen was selected by the Marlins in the second round of the 2010 amateur draft and then traded to the Houston organization on July 4, 2012 as part of the deal that sent Carlos Lee to Miami.

In three minor league seasons, Rasmussen is 20-21 with a 3.88 ERA in 60 games (53 starts), including 4-4 with a 4.80 ERA in 11 games (10 starts) at Double-A Corpus Christi in 2012.

Ely, 26, was acquired in a December 2009 trade with the White Sox and went 4-13 with a 5.70 ERA in 25 games (19 starts) over three seasons in Los Angeles.

The Dodgers now have 39 players on their 40-man roster, leading me to believe there is another deal or signing coming.

28 Responses to “Dodgers Trade John Ely”

The key here (like Mark says) there is an open spot in the 40 man roster. Who will it be? A backup 1B? Or a bigger move? Hmm?

Goodbye and good luck, John. That 1 month of Ely-mania a couple years ago was a lot of fun to watch!

• DRomo says:

Agreed! Ely was a lot of fun and I always wished he would have gotten one more shot. Even as a 4th or 5th starter. I hope he does well in Houston and in the AL West.

Clearing the roster spot was important. But Rasmussen looks to have some potential. Will be 24 in April, and was rated in the 2012 Baseball America Prospect Handbook as the Marlins #7 prospect. Described as having “four solid average pitches with a 90-93 mph fastball, a slider, a curveball and a changeup.” They also stated that “some Marlins officials see his future as a situational lefty….”

Ely has no apparent future with the Dodgers, and maybe this kid finds a home in the bullpen. Nice move. Nothing to lose, and perhaps something to gain.

Should be close to the 10 days that the Dodgers have to deal SVS since he was DFA’d. Maybe something coming soon.

Steve Sax was just announced as the 1B coach of the DBacks. It’s a shame he couldn’t have stayed with the Dodgers orginization somehow. He was my favorite Dodger growing up and I got to meet him a few years back. Good dude.

On the brightside that throw to 1B will be much easier now…. just sayin’

5. ken says:

Very good trade today. Move the new guy to the bullpen as a long reliever please.

Open spot on roster. Feeling Giddy now!

SVS move reported on 12/12? Trade him for more minor league depth or include in a trade to Seattle?

Seattle to trade #2 pitcher to LAA? Can we trade at least one of the spare starting pitchers, SVS and a prospect to Seattle for Seager?

Speaking of 3B, have the dodgers convinced Beaz to become a relief pitcher yet?

New guy, is short, light, and left handed. Not many of them in the bigs these days.

So what will Santa put in the Dodgers stocking this Christmas ???

7. RoidRage says:

A water filter ad

With all the talk of the Dodgers seeking to sign Joel Hanrahan, or Chris Perez, or Bobby Parnell, I wonder if they perhaps acquired Rasmussen as a piece that could be packaged in a deal for one of those guys, or something else. Or he adds depth that enables them to package someone else. Or it is as it seems, an additional lefty to compete for a bullpen job this spring.

Of course, that may be total fantasy on my part.
    Could it also be the Dodgers are worried about Ronald Belisario?

And finally, if the Mayan calendar is correct, no need to wonder if Ethier will be traded and Bourn signed. Then again, maybe this world ends and we’re all transported into a Dodger blue parallel universe where Clayton Kershaw, Sandy Koufax and Zack Greinke head up our rotation, Billingsley’s arm adds 10 mph and is completely healed, and we find out that Cole Hamels actually signed with the Dodgers.

9. ken says:

Salary arbitration proceedings should be affected by a player’s off field behavior during the off season. Certain players should be required to report in person to the arbitrator prior to his/her ruling.

10. Pete M. says:

Good takes on John Ely…I was always a Ely guy and hoped in the middle of hot run last year, he would have been given a shot, if not for anyrthing, showcase for a trade….He did have a great year in AAA…
    It must be my age, but every year I seem to silently root on a couple AA or AAA guys in hopes of seeing them hit the bigs… Last year it was Josh. Of course there was John Lindsey and his appearence with the the Blue after years. Jay Gibbons was a favorite also…
    I cant forget (I’d like to) Tony G. Jr. is not on the 40 and he could fill that vacated spot.
    Hell, they could be worrying about Kenley’s spot as well Javy Guerra… Dodger pen is definetely hurry up and wait. I say give Paco the nod out of ST to go Scott ‘Easy E’ Elbert….
    Just heard Franklin Guitierrez’s name brought up. Now there was a kid that I hated to give up on…

11. Pete M. says:

That was Josh Fields….

Franklin Guiterez is an interesting name. I rememeber seeing this kid as a low A ball guy. At that time he and James Loney were young and impressive. They could both hit and field. They showed promise.

So remember we moved him for Milton Bradley, who eventually got cashed in for Andre Ethier. Wouldn’t it be funny if we sent Ethier to Seattle for Guiterez? Then signed Bourn. Fanklin could be a nice 4th OF.

One name I saw out there yesterday was Mark DeRosa. He is an older guy but he can play 3B and 1B off the bench. From all reports he is a leader and is a great clubhouse guy. I think a solid veteran leader would do wonders for this club. DeRosa isn’t a guy I’m crazy about BUT the idea of a clubhouse leader/veteran off the bench guy is something I think we need. Plus a backup 1B!!

Gutierrez (Death to All Flying Things) had a good year… in 2009. Career .692 OPS. Meh. I suppose he would be a better fourth than Gwynn, but, really, it’s a slow day when we are getting excited about that. If we send Ethier to Seattle we better get a whole lot more than Franklin Gutierrez back. How about adding Seager and Taijuan Walker to the deal.

Gutierrez is making $7 million in 2013. A bit rich I think for a 4th outfielder.

Don’t we already have enough off the bench utility guys? I don’t see how Mark DeRosa would fit.

We have more than one utility guy. We have a utility guy starting. What we need is thunder off the bench. We need somebody opposing managers have to account for in late innings. As of now, there is nobody coming off our bench a bullpen would fear.

Gutierrez is making $7 million? Why? Because of 2009? That’s ridiculous. Forget him.

I’m gonna go rake leaves.

16. Pete M. says:

I’m just throwing stuff out there to see what sticks. I would be happy to see Castellanos as our 4th. OF and Jim Thome off the bench and b/u 1B every couple weeks. I like Schu and Hairston. Damn I miss baseball….ST can’t start soon enough…
    I officially stopped enjoying winter several years ago. I love visiting cold, but would rather have 365 days of summer.

I grew up in Seal Beach and a few years ago spent 7 years in NW Wisconsin. It was beautiful there about 5 months out of the year. The rest of the time it was winter. Hated it. At my age, can’t handle cold anymore. We are at 4500′ now and the weather here is perfect.

If Thome is the only guy available, I would go with him. He has lost quite a bit in his swing, but he could still put up an .800 OPS on this team. I think he would be a good guy to have around too.

You know there are always Spring Training moves being made. Back-up guys, and pinch hitters might be more available then.

17. roger dodger says:

Cubs signing Edwin Jackson, former Dodger.

This guy has a good luck charm or something.

He can throw the ball over the plate and keep a team in the game. Dodgers had him up in 2003, 2004, and 2005 – then gave him away to Tampa Bay with Chuck Tiffany for Danys Baez and Lance Carter.

So far, Jackson has played for 7 different major league teams and had 10 different numbers or team jerseys in that time.

He has made OVER 27 million dollars to date and is now signing a $52,000,000 contract to add that that total. That is over 80 million total, and he is not done yet.

In these 10 season, he is 70-71, with a combined ERA of 4.40. The most games he has ever won in a season is 14 (was 14-11) with TB in 2008.

He is very lucky indeed.

Back in the Dodger pitching era with Sandy Koufax . . . Sandy made tops = $125,000 has last season in 1966. Gee, what would Sandy make in today’s game !!!

18. ken says:

Does the signing of starting pitchers extinquish the demand for starting pitchers more than raise the price for the dodgers extras?

19. RoidRage says:

Amen on anti-cold weather comments. I hate cold, I won’t vacation in cold weather, unless it’s Ireland and then I usually go when it is at it’s warmest times. I used to ski all the time usually twice a week when I was growing up, I now hate the cold so much, I don’t even miss skiing one bit. Give me warm 365 days a year.

My brother had a condo in Mammoth and I was
    up there on the slopes several times a year. Not anymore. I will still surf if given the chance but forget playing in snow. My joints won’t take it.

ken, to answer your question – I have no idea. I would think every free agent, or soon to be a free agent, regardless of talent level, is telling his agent “call the Dodgers!”

21. Pete M. says:

Ireland!! Be still O Heart of Mine… Seems like I just got back from there… In Dublin for Notre Dame – U.S.N. Academy game….Two weeks with a visit to Belfast…Magical country……..
    52 Million to Jackson…There aint no stinking Fiscal Cliff.