Close Encounters of the Third (Base) Kind

Ready, set, go!  The Winter Meetings are officially on.  If you have never been to Opryland Hotel in Nashville, you need to put that on your bucket list.  If it’s not the largest hotel in the world, then it has to be in the TOP 2. It is awesome.  Just hanging out there could result in seeing any number of celebrities or baseball personnel.

That said, I believe that the Dodgers would like to obtain a 3B, whether it be at the Winter Meetings or before Spring Training.  With David Wright officially off the market, the pickings for 3B are slim, but interesting.

Chase Haedley – Headley is my choice, but San Diego would be loathe to trade with the Dodgers and even if they were to trade him, they would want way too much …. although I would consider it.

Eric Chavez – He might be perfect in a platoon with Luis Cruz, especially if Cruz can continue what he started.  Who knows?

Kevin Youkilis – I would be tempted to give him a 3 year/$27 mil deal.  Can he get more somewhere else?  Something tells me Youk will be back and have a good year.  He’s a pro.

Other Stuff to Chew on:

• It’s interesting that Major League Trade Rumors has listed their TOP 50 Free Agents and predictions of where they will sign.  How do that do?  Let me just say that if they were batting, their average would be below .100!
  • Here’s an idea for a 4th outfielder – Ichiro!!!  He can play all 3 positions, is a good runner, skilled hitter and may be willing to take a secondary role at 40 to win a championship.
  • Rich Harden and Brandon Webb plan comebacks in 2013 – Any interest?
  • It won’t be this year, but the Dodgers will be the first team to exceed $300 million in payroll.
  • Now the 49′ers have a real QB controversy!
  • With the worst record in football last year, the Colts now have an 8-4 record.  A lot of people claim that it is just Luck.  OK…
  • Notre Dame and Alabama for the National Championship.  One team will win by 3 points or less.

23 Responses to “Close Encounters of the Third (Base) Kind”

1. ken says:

Headley – Cost too high, he might just wait for FA to come to LA on his own
    Chavez – .298 against LHP = Yes, 1 year $1.5 mil should do it
    Youk – No – Way fatter than Crawford!
    Ichiro (40 during 2103 WS)- He will want to play full-time, still has the chance for 3,000 hits in MLB by age 42
    Harden or Webb? – Hire a new trainer first.

2. ken says:

Crawford, Harang, and Gordon for Upton :)

You didn’t get that $300 million idea from Peter Gammons, did you? But actually, I have thought about that too, and believe it’s a distinct possibility. And if the Dodgers new TV deal is as large as being reported (or larger), you can bet the house that other teams have noticed, and that much larger TV/Media deals will begin to pop up elsewhere. In fact, all teams will be receiving about 25 million additional dollars this year from MLB media. Rest assured that agents have noticed. As revenues rise, so will payrolls.

Good stuff about Greinke/Kershaw in the piece linked above.

4. Pete M. says:

Now your talking. I’m lovin it!!! Eric Chavez in Chavez Ravine…(I recall he wanted to come to the Doders in his earlier A’s days…
    Just not convinced on Youk..Alot of $$ also..
    Ichiro, interesting…. I think he could be an Asian version of Manny Mota or Dave Hansen as a pinch hitter….
    How do I keep Castellanos around???
    N.D. – Bama seperated by 3… Sweet music to my ears, but I’m thinking not…
    I’m still thinking Zack G. not in the picture.

5. Pete M. says:

On paper I slotted R.A. Dickey after Clayton and followed him with him a question mark, Beckett, Bills and another question mark. Where in the hell am I going with this???
    Would opposing teams hitters be mumbling or what with Dickey after C.K.???
    Just doodling till thingd heat up……..

And the Dodgers are shopping shortstop Dee Gordon. Please send him to the other league.

Chavez is interesting. And I would always take a flyer on a guy like Webb, though I wouldn’t expect much. If he actually wants a serious guaranteed contract, then no, let somebody else take that chance.

Not sure where you are seeing -3 Pete, but if it were out there I would jump all over that. I see -9, which tells me the Domers are already dumping their money into the pool. I expected that. Toward the end of December, I expect that line to be double digits. If it doesn’t get there, I predict a ton of money coming in on ‘bama in the last few days.

Colts were not as bad as their record last year. If Manning had been healthy, the Rams would have easily been the worst team in the league. And had they been, Luck would be wearing horns. Bradford is still a an All World Wide Receiver, a couple offensive linemen and a younger Steven Jackson away from being a decent qb. Luck has the ability to make those players around him better. I don’t see that in Bradford.

Greinke is still going to be a Dodger, unless there is something cooking we don’t know about.

I think I would do that trade ken, but the dbacks would not. Their GM is not the kind of guy who takes on a Crawford contract.

I would also take Youk. He is just my kind of player. Fat? Yeah, stand in front of him and tell him that. At 34, I think he still has a few years in him.

• ken says:

Just throw in some crazy money!

Youk – just too much money.

Loney gets $2 mil. Maybe he will succeed as an average platoon player with TB.

7. MJRod55 says:

About taking on Youkilis, if I remember right, Casey Blake wasn’t exactly a spring chicken when the Dodgers traded their best catching prospect for him. Blake gave the Dodgers a few good years and Youkilis is younger than Blake was I believe. If not, they were close in age.

The thing about Youkilis is he can hit only .250 and still post a 3 WAR.
    Look at his career stats. He has done it before. He isn’t that old, he knows what it takes to win and could be a great clubhouse influence. I’d take him.

9. the truth hurts says:

Last time I checked, Luis Cruz did pretty good last year…

I am completely onboard with Cruz control at third.

Headley would be nice, but not going to happen this year.

Youkilis, stay away.

CRUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZ

10. Bobbie17 says:

Cruz Control. I love it. It might sell tshirts too.

11. Gonzo says:

Sign Mark Reynolds to keep the seat warm for Seager for 3 years and 1 option and plug him in the 7 hole. Cruz will be the super sub.

I’ve got no problems with Luis Cruz, but looking at his career, I just wouldn’t hang my hat on him. Maybe he turned a corner last year. It’s happened before, so it’s not totally inconceivable. However, we’ve also seen players with pedestrian careers come up and set the world on fire for a season, and then ultimately revert back to what they’ve mostly been in the past.

Mark Reynolds??? Too questionable for me to be interested. Loads of power, but much too little contact. For me, the third baseman is Hanley, and shortstop is between Gordon and Cruz. I simply do not buy into the good/bad Hanley thing, simply because I think he’s happy in LA, and happy to play on a team with a lineup that will provide him with protection. I heard a lot of crap about Matt Kemp in the past, and never bought it. In his case my opinion was based on the player I had seen interacting with people in spring training. With Hanley, it’s just a feeling that he’s happy being where he is, and with his teammates, and is probably not interested in upsetting the applecart. And perhaps, even Hanley understands that he can be a productive player at 3B. Even knuckleheads sometimes grow up, or act differently in changed circumstances.

But that’s my opinion. Others think differently. Maybe I’m right, maybe they’re right, maybe we’re all wrong.

The problem is: Reynolds has become horrible at 3B. He played1B very well for Baltimore be is not considered a 3B anymore.

No only can\’t he hit, but he can\’t field either.

14. Pete M. says:

Badger I was sorta working Mark’s numbers and assumed ND -3. Thats not going to happen…
    The thought of Mark Renolds makes my mood ring dark. Cruzzzzz & Chavez would be sweet. We all love Cruz and what he did last year. But do we really think he can maintain this in his sophomore year. I personally need some insurance…
    With the announcement of another hip procedure for A-Rod I think that Eric C. stays in pinstripes…

15. Pete M. says:

You get the feeling everyone is monitoring MLB TV or MLBTRADERcom???
    The next couple days is baseball’s version of Black Friday…

16. Joseph Olivas says:

I say we give cruz a shot at 3b come check out my site as well guys!

17. AnewBlueDay says:

Well, I was WRONG. I really thought last week that the Dodgers would have signed Grienke by Sunday midnight, and not have to chase him down the hallways in Nashville.

I expect some big moves by the Dodgers.

Note: I would not get Dee away for a song. By the end of the Season, they will need him on this team.

All teams can use speed. But he has to get on to be able to use it. Sell high if possible. If not, let McGwire work some magic with him.

Cruz ha a good couple of months. The rest of his career is pedestrian. Reynolds is not the answer. He’s just fun to watch.

‘Bama still 9 Pete. Not touching that yet, but if forced I would lay the points.

Greinke a Dodger yet?

19. ken says:

Maybe the NYY would take Uribe for $1.00 :)