48 Hours

The significance of the last 48 hours should not be lost on us.  The Dodgers agreed to terms with Zach Greinke and then signed Hyun-Jin Ryu which was followed by the trade of James Shields and Wade Davis for Wil Myers and three other players.  There is likely a connection.  We will probably never know what exactly happened, but I believe the Dodgers Plan A was Greinke and Ryu with Sheilds being the player they would have traded for should either one of those deals not got done.

I believe that Greinke had until Sunday to make his decision and of course, that was the deadline for Ryu.  If Greinke or Ryu was not signed by Sunday, I believe that James Sheilds was coming to LA.  The Doidgers didn’t have Wil Myers, but they could have sent Gordon, Lee, Pederson, Reed and others to get the deal they needed.  The fact that the Shields/Myers deal came down right after the signing of Ryu should tell you something.  If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and smells like a duck… it’s probably a duck!

I think Sanchez is off the radar now, unless his value plummets.

What is on the radar is that the Dodgers have a plethora of starting pitchers, but I don’t think Lilly or Billingsley are tradable until they have demonstrated they are healthy, which could be May.  So, do the Dodgers trade Harang and Capuano, who would both be very tradable to teams looking for pitching depth? What if Lilly and Billingsley are hurt?  One or both could be needed.  I would think it’s a lock that Capuano would be traded as he is a hot commodity as a lefty starter.

What else do the Dodgers need? In order of importance, I think it is a player who can play 2B or 3B and hit leadoff.  Who is that guy?  They also need a 4th outfielder and I would love it if it was Cody Ross.  Schumaker is still on the radar, but I don’t like Ellis and Schumaker leading off.  The Dodgers need a leadoff hitter.

Come on – put on your thinking hats – who is it?

60 Responses to “48 Hours”

“What if Lilly and Billingsley are hurt?”

Yeah, what if. I don’t see a trade of any SP just yet.

“I believe that Greinke had until Sunday to make his decision and of course, that was the deadline for Ryu.”

I believe you are right about that. But you will get some resistance around here on that one.

“I think Sanchez is off the radar now, unless his value plummets.”

I agree. Though I don’t know why his value would plummet. The only caveat on that is, and roid is going to love this one, we don’t know what is being talked about in the front offices. For all we know, Billingsley is being sent to Cincinnati and Lilly is going back to Chicago.

“The Dodgers need a leadoff hitter.

Come on – put on your thinking hats – who is it?”

We already figured that out yesterday. It’s Bourn. Or was it Ramirez? Ellis? Matt Kemp. no… it’s Nick Punto’s younger brother Juan. Juan Punto, which translated means Johnny on the Dot. Or does it mean John is a pussy? No, I think that’s punta. How about his father… Hombre? Hombre Punto… Point Man. Perfect fit at the top of our lineup.

OK, maybe I don’t have it figured out.

2. Rob says:

After all was said and done plan A was accomplished. Now lets sign Ross and a lefty for the pen.

3. emerson-Lake says:

Don’t we already have a great leadoff guy in Crawford?

From the last thread. Badger I would take Bourn, throw him in the leadoff, and trade Ethier. With the power this lineup has, Ethier gets lost — if the result is Bourn in center leading off, Kemp in right, and Crawford in left (when ready). So your sum-up was right. Go for Bourn.

Ethier will bring back some nice talent for a team needing a guy like him in their lineup. Lots of time between now and Feb/Mar.

I continue to want Dee Gordon at 2nd and as backup at SS (assuming Hanley is able to deal with SS in 2013). And the platoon within Ellis is fine. And that just might be not just one game for one and one game for the other — but situations in games were one comes in when their skills are needed. Milking those two all season.

Baseball has just made a major change in how it operates. I think some really rich guys will say, “Hey, I can buy a team, and throw my money around like the Dodgers and make it fun.”

I believe other teams will sell out, those with family ownership and limited funds. Or, new investors will come on board with present owners, and they have a bit of unlimited funds. It will be interesting.

So… signing Bourn and trading Ethier looks like the way to get us a lead-off guy.

If only Gordon could become THAT guy. I have no problem with him at second base. Yeah, he is fast, and yeah, he has a strong arm, but those skills are needed at second base too. He just needs to be able to get on base.

Crawford hits in the two hole. That is where he earned that ridonkulous contract. Leave him there.

What kind of numbers are being talked about with Bourn? With Bora$$ as his agent, you know he wants to be overpaid for many years, but the guy does have $15 million a year numbers (+ d and o WARs). Where does he end up? Chatter had him in Cincinnati or Texas, maybe Seattle, thought that doesn’t look like a fit to me. Maybe where he goes depends first on where Hamilton goes.

He would score 100 runs on this team. Ethier would bring back 3 good prospects. Just sayin’………….

• ken says:

Why do so many people have a problem with Gordon platooning at 2B in 2013, starting full-time at 2B in 2014, and starting at SS in 2015? If he can’t play 2B then he must not be much of an athlete. As I said months ago he has got to be as athletic as Biggio (C, 2B, CF).

What Badger said. What Mark said, except the “duck” quote is wrong!

Demand for a CF is dwindling and the price for Bourn is probably a $ mil less than it was a month ago. The Ryu contact is for less than I anticipated. Maybe Borass did blink, not wanting two failures in one year.

Reynolds to Indians 1yr $6 mil WOW. Youk still available?

Youk available. For about $10 millyun times 3. He’s an AL guy.

I don’t know why peeps have a problem with Gordon playing 2b. Maybe because his value on the open market is as a 60 stolen base 100 run scoring shortstop. His value to us is as a lead off hitter, since we don’t have one. Ellis is no lead-off hitter. He can hit 8th. Ramirez is an RBI guy. He can hit 5th. Bourn, with a 5 WAR, is going to want at least $15 mil a year for at least 3 years. Is he worth that as a replacement for Ethier? Could be. Though I don’t see the Dodgers mentioned anywhere linked to the Dodgers.

Could it be quiet until Spring Training?

What does a duck smell like? Never mind. Don’t answer that.

Another sunny day in Northern Arizona. Think I’ll go for a walk outside…… I gotta get up, gotta get out, gotta get away. I gotta get away, get away, get away, get away -

Last season, I drove to Houston to the two games in the Dodger / Houston series.

Bourn led off with a line drive HR, and just stunned the crowd.

7. ken says:

I would like to trade for Dickey and make Greinke the #3 starter. Pitching after a knucklehead could give Greinke the real opportunity to have an ERA under 2.80. Capuano, Lee, Pederson, and $$ or another prospect for Dickey?

Kershaw
    Dickey
    Greinke
    Beckett
    Bills/Ryu

Bills or Ryu in bullpen
    Harang in Bullpen until Bills can pitch for 2 months
    Rehab Lilly and trade at summer deadline

• Roger Dodger says:

At the money Greinke will be making — his ERA should be below 2.00.

Good plan ken, though I don’t want to include Lee in that trade. Cap, cash, an A prospect and Pederson.

I wonder if Ryu, Bills and Harang will be ok with bullpen work? That’s a lot of money sitting on their ass down there.

All I want out of Greinke is a 5 WAR. I don’t care what his ERA is. Well that’s not true. I would like to see it below 3 though I doubt it will be. 34 starts 226 innings of 1.2 WHIP ought to do it. Then do it again 5 more times.

• ken says:

I agree but TV $$ has made a new reality, unfortunately.

I believe Lee has his breakout year in ’13. It is time. He started 13 games at AA last year. By ’14 I expect the Dodgers to have an all out Zach attack. Z squared. He jumped to #62 on the prospect list last year. This year he breaks into the top 50 with a call up.

Or not.

Our best prospect remains Gordon followed by Puig in my book.

8. SomethingHappenAlready says:

I hate the Yankees. Never wanted to become the Yankees. Arrogant. BUT WE ARE THE WEST COAST YANKEES NOW. So what am I to do? Become a Giants fan? Be pretty easy for me, being close to SF. HELL NO.

• Roger Dodger says:

Something . . . We have talked about this $$$ development.

It seems that the new ownership has and will continue to spend (as George use to say) “what ever it takes” to make a winner.

I would not be surprised to see other super rich guys (maybe some gals) start to line up and buy teams. And pour money and more money into their new teams.

With TV contracts, fan gear, tickets, etc. — there is money and fame to be made.

9. Pete M. says:

Wow I gotta slow down or get off this ride…
    I consider Bills and Lilly unable to compete. We may not know until mid ST… I would if healthy, consider Lilly an adequate arm out of the pen to support Easy E Elbert and long man…
    That leaves 2 pitchers we could dangle now..Harang and Cap…
    Im like Badger, I keep Gordon unti he becomes a Uribe-like embarassment which would be damn near impossible. I want him to find that machine Tom Hanks did in “Big’ and wish for an adequate OBP. Next morning Hallelujah lead off settled.
    Seriously as long as half the team is in the running, why not Hanley at lead off????

10. ken says:

Another reason to trade Ethier or Crawford and sign Bourn is that Puig currently will have only one year on his contract after Crawford’s contract is over. So either trade Crawford, Ethier or Puig for more starting pitching, or 2B & 3B. Or does dodger management think that Crawford has only 2-3 years left in his body and Puig will replace Crawford when he crashes?

Crawford 2017
    Either 2017 plus option year
    Kemp 2019
    Puig 2018

11. Miguel says:

The answer is easy as far as who we go after for outfield depth. Must murder lefties as this person will spell Crawford or Ethier against lefties.

Drew Stubbs. He’s young, we can probably get him for a steal from the Reds, he has speed, and can hit for power.

Grab Schumaker too while we’re at it.

12. BLUEFAN says:

If we are talking about trading Ethier and Capuano and needing a leadoff man in return.. Why not package them both to Boston for Ellsbury and a prospect?

This would solve the leadoff spot, tighten the defense, and we would not lose a draft pick.

And since Ellsbury is only signed through 2013 … we would be leaving an OF spot open for either Puig or Pederson (whoever is ready first) for 2014 and pick up a Supplemental pick in the ’14 draft as well, after we make JE a qualifying offer.

13. Roger Dodger / AnewBlueDay says:

Bluefan, are you “our” old Bluefan from years ago?? If so, great to hear from you. If not, welcome anyway.

• Ivan says:

I usually don’t papricitate on blogs/chat rooms but had to this time .you are a class act and I admire your decision to make a big change in your life. I have done the same thing and it was the best thing I ever did. It surely isn’t easy but it life goes to quickly and you don’t want to look back and have regrets. Best of luck to you!! We will all miss you.

14. Jake says:

If ur looking for a lead off man,here r some choices

Bourn:Speedy,but 2 much money
    Suzuki:Na,2 old and gonna sign with Yanks
    Crawford:Dodgers have him,and he would fit
    Andrus:Young talent in a trade
    Sanchez:2 old,injured
    Profar:Same as Andrus
    Posednik:5 point player MY CHOICE

15. Jake says:

People behind “THE BIG TWO”:

Lohse
    Sanchez(Anibal)
    Jackson
    Dempster
    Sanchez(Johnathan)
    Dickey
    Liriano
    J.Sanchez,Liriano,Jackson best choices,no money

16. BLUEFAN says:

I doubt it … I post here every so often, but mostly just read.

I hang out most of the time at Big Blue Wrecking Crew and LA Dugout/FoxSportsNext, but frequent MSTI, TrueBlueLA, etc .., as well as, here.

On those sites, I am either Bluefan or DAS1410 when I post.

It’s highly unlikely that Ryu is used out of the pen. He has a clause in his contract that allows him to become a free agent after 5 years if he pitches 750 innings during those first 5 years. Don’t think he or Boras would be pleased with him coming out of the pen.

Given the uncertainty over their health, I am pretty certain that Lilly and Bills are untradeable at the present time. Harang and Capuano are the most likely pitchers that would be traded, and probably either one of them could also have some value in the bullpen. I wouldn’t even begin to speculate on what the Dodgers might do. It’s a long time until opening day, and almost anything is possible. If something becomes available that will make this a better team, these Dodgers have the flexibility to act on a moment’s notice.

I think Gordon remains infield depth if he isn’t traded. He probably opens the season at ALBQ, where he could play his way back into the Dodgers plans. If Ramirez remains at short, perhaps Gordon could become a factor at 2B. A strong arm and range are important there too, and maybe the shorter throws would promote less errors. I still think, barring a trade, that he could become an important factor in 2013.

I see the staff the same way Brooklyn. Ryu is too strong to use out of the pen. We don’t really need him there either. With Bills and Lilly both being “ifs”, and with the amount of money Ryu is being paid, I would think he was signed as a starter. In his career, he has started 181 ganes and completed 27. It looks like he should be able to pitch around 190-200 innings. Put him at the back end of the rotation and he could win 16 games easy.

Gordon’s value to this team is as a lead-off, base stealing, run scoring shortstop. Now that doesn’t mean he can’t, or won’t, play second base. But if the team is marketing him, a starting shortstop capable of 60 stolen bases and 100 runs is far more valuable. Those are Jimmy Rollins like numbers. (btw, Rollins only had a .328 career OBP) I am still hoping Dee earns his way on this team in ST. Who knows, maybe the trade happens then. I am also fine with him opening at AAA, though I really don’t want him there. If the Dodgers have no room for a guy like that, then I say trade him to a team that does. (Or, maybe they just keep him in the pipeline until Ramirez plays his way out of the ss position. And I think he will.)

18. RoidRage says:

I still say, the addition of our new hitting coach must be considered before making desperation moves to acquire a lead-off bat or another big bat. Good coaching can go a long ways in creating a team. I believe, unless a gift is made available to us, the Dodgers will go to ST, then take a few weeks to evaluate if there is going to be a serious upgrade in our hitters after working with McGwire. If nothing promising is forthcoming, then the Dodgers use some of the abundance of their Starting Pitchers to make a deal with a team desperate for pitching (never a shortage of those teams) days before the beginning of the season. This also allows the Dodgers time to evaluate Billingsley and Lilly to really see if they got anything left and to showcase their talents for a number of weeks. Always been a good formula for success, build up a surplus of arms then deal from that strength.

19. Pete M. says:

RR – Good take…Patience, patience, patience…1/2 thru ST…injuries to players and trading heats up again.

Blue did not sign Ryu to have him in the pen. I feel real good about this kid. Hoping for some Cespedes like success for him. Badger is spot on with around 16 W…

Detroit can’t ignore K.C. anymore. If there offense picks up, they will be a pain in the ass in the A.L. Central…

Now is the time to extend Clayton Kershaw…

• Joanna says:

Here is a comment from Kevin T. Doyle (non-member)Am trnyig to locate current owner of my Tartan 34C Midwatch Hull No. 215 Last known location was @ your LYC and owners were Carol Cassidy & Jack Waddell. I was the owner for the first 23/years & have much info on its journey & many pictures etc to share with the current owners e.g. an orig copy of the christening invitation for 125 people @ Plymouth Rock, Plymouth, Massachusetts. Also, pictures of the construction phase at Tartan Marine, Grand River, OH. Many of these items should accompany the vessel.Sincerely, Kevin T. Doyle (781) 826 3712 (Owner: Select Grahics)Kevin T. Doyle (Orig owner of VIXEN )0

Also agree with RR. And I also think that Gordon can learn how to steal 1B. Well, sort of. If Gordon gets proficient at bunting he could lay down quite a few base hits. In his case, the bunt doesn’t really have to be perfect. As it is now, Gordon’s game should be to mostly drive the ball on the ground through the infield. The more proficient he gets at bunting, the closer in the infielders have to play, and we all know the rest.

And despite his smallish stature, Gordon will likely put on some weight and strength naturally as he matures. And I imagine that the Dodgers have suggested a modified diet, and a training program to enhance his strength while maintaining his speed. Ultimately I believe Gordon will reach somewhere between 160-170 without any loss of speed. Maybe not all at once, but gradually over time. I remember when Jose Reyes joined the Mets. He added weight and strength over the years w/o a loss of speed. Gordon is likely to do the same.

21. ken says:

I said good things about KC the other day but now they have signed Sherrill. What are they thinking?

Looking for a trade by Christmas.

48 hours. Is that the amount of time between posts by Mark?

22. ken says:

Posible leadoff hitter

Jose Altuve 2B from Houston for Cappy, $$$, and Valentin.

23. ken says:

Dickey for Cappy, Harang, $$, and Garcia
    Extend Dickey for 2 yrs @ $12.5 per year, no option

Obviously the LAD have no debt so the owners can do whatever they want. Plus when the new TV contract is in place there really will effectively be no Excise tax on excess salaries due to the limit on revenue sharing imposed by the BK Court.

How about a $50 mil dividend to the shareholders in 2015?

Mark is busy building his business ken.
      His goal is to join the 1%.

Good stuff in here today. You guys are on top of your game.

Like I said last year . . . I really really think about signing Jim Thome for the bench, pinch hitter, and DH against American League teams.

If he still has that hand to eye coordination, and has any bat speed at all, I sign him.

Who did the Dodgers sign today . . .

Don’t know exactly what’s going on at MSTI, but the following message appeared when I tried to log on.

“This web page at http://www.mikesciosciastragicillness.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.”

Guessing the site been hacked into.

Roger, you wanted to know who the Dodgers signed today? Answer: Skip Schumaker (see MLB Trade Rumors above). No details yet on who or what the Dodgers sent to the Cardinals. Probably will fill-in at 2B (maybe a platoon) and in the outfield.

Good player. Guessing McGuire might have had something to do with this.

• Gionfriddo says:

Jake Lemmerman, double A SS who hit .233 in Chattanooga this year was dealt for Schumaker… I like the deal… Schumaker is a career .288 hitter (.305 vs RH pitching).. Schumaker will be able to fill in @ 2B vs tough RH & spell all 3 OF’s as well.. Good job, Ned…

Is it just Lemmerman? Seems a cheap price to pay. Lemmerman hasn’t been all that much since jumping to AA.

By the way Roger, I was wrong. The Dodgers didn’t “sign” Schumaker, they “traded” for him. Same difference I guess.

Let me second the “Good job, Ned….”

29. Pete M. says:

Skip Schumaker move is damn good. 1 yr. and we’ll see basis…. Versatile.
    I like ‘Late night’ Lemmerman and as FKB said his upside was that of a poor man’s Mark Loretta.
    Make sure Adam Kennedy has left the house…

Well, a good utility man is important on any championship caliber team.

With Gwynn as the back-up outfielder, and Cruz at 3b, we actually have a full compliment of baseball players with which it head into Spring Training.

Anyone believe we are done?

With Youk signing in Gnu Yourk, there doesn’t appear to be an .800 OPS 3b on the surface. Where might Jed find one? I really don’t know, but I suspect he does.

Off to San Diego, Dana Point, Tustin for some visiting. The ‘rents live in a beautiful gated townhome complex in what used to be the El Toro Marine Air Station there in Tustin. I applied for duty there on my return from ‘nam, but ended up at Pendleton instead. The hangers are still there and they now use them for the blimps. My in-laws sit on their back porch and watch them take off and land. Kinda cool.

It has been a long time (has it not) since the Dodgers had a “Skip” on the teams. Maybe since Walt Alston.

I want Jim Thome as the pinch-hitter, DH against A.L. teams — or at least someone like him. Big bat off the bench. Then we are done with the roster.

32. Pete M. says:

Badger..We have no, zilch, nada pop off the bench!! Maybe staying inside and giving Van Slyke a shot!?!?
    I used to drop into El Toro occasionally with my anti-sub outfit out of Los Alamitos and then North Island.
    The El Toro complex when completed should be a beauty…
    What’s your take on a re-visit by Jim Thome???

So we have Schumaker, Punto, Hairston, and Luis Cruz? Kind of redundant I think?

Gwynn should be our 4th OF would think?

Something tells me we aren’t done here. Nothing major but some parts need to be moved around. Word is Capuano will be moved first. I wonder what he brings back? I would have to think a minor leaguer. You have to think we need to shuffle the 40 man roster soon

34. Pete M. says:

I’m afraid one of my favorites and Mattingly’s, Justin Sellers is heading off the 40 man roster. Justin knew and played the game the way it was intended. I would have him on my bench any day. That being said, it won’t happen here in L.A.

35. Pete M. says:

Tony Gwynn Jr. 4th. OF…
    I’ll probably be lambasted for this, but the need for Tony G. is over. He was a defensive replacement and a damn good one, but the kid cant hit and I’m afraid never will.
    Good Lord, if he could he’d be playing full time somewhere.
    Van Slyke, Castellanos or probably prematurally Puig!!!

Los Alamitos Pete? That is where I lived from Jr. High through ’72, with a 3 year break from ’66 to ’69.

Yeah, we need pop off the bench, and it would be nice to have it, but, right now don’t. With Gwynn/Hairston and Schumaker as our back-ups, we do have room for some PH depth. How about a nice veteran switch hitting thumper? Does Lance Berkman have a job? I’d go with him if he were available. He will be 37 next year.

Thome might have some pop left, and his three year splits are pretty good (.937 OPS vs. RH, .810 vs. LH) but the guy is going to be 43 next summer. When does that bat slow down? Even with those numbers he hit .179 vs. LH last year. He could be about done.

37. Pete M. says:

Yep, Los Alamitos Naval Air Station. Skidmarks in the sky…Commuted from Manhattan Beach before it became home of the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous…Mira Costa Class of 64…
    I dont know if Berkman would want a bech Job!!?? I’d grab him in a NY minute…
    Of course I wanted Ichiro in a bad way…Dude could pinch hit till he’s 50+…Of course my Yankees are ending those dreams…

1. [...] relief pitcher Josh Lindblom and minor league righty Lisalberto Bonilla. V more… 48 Hours – ladodgertalk.com 12/10/2012 The significance of the last 48 hours should not be lost on [...]