We don’t know what we don’t know…

We all have a tendency to think we have it all figured out… that we know it all.  That is all well and good, but the bottom line is:  We Don’t Know What We Don’t Know!  I might add that there is no way we can know what we don’t know.  What don’t we know?   Here are but a few things:

1. Will Billingsley and Lilly be relevant in 2013 or injured? – These are the BIG Questions.
  2. Uribe?What? – Could Big Mac help him?
  3. Will Kenley Jansen recover 100%.  He has closers stuff.
  4. Will Javy Guerra ever return to the pitcher he once was?  Almost closers stuff…
  5. Will Adrian Gonzalez again put up MVP numbers?  Adrian is the reason the Dodgers took Crawford and Beckett.
  6. Can Mark Ellis ever hit a right-hander?  If he could hit .260 against RH and .280 against LH pitching, he would be a stud.
  7. Is Dee Gordon a gifted offensive player?  We know he has no glove, but can he make a difference offensively?
  8. Will the Dodgers trade for a 3B or sign a free agent?  Wright, Headley, Olt or Youkilis?
  9. Will the Dodgers sign two free agent pitchers?  Odds are Greinke and Kuroda will be Dodgers.
  10. How much difference will Mark McGwire make with the Dodger hitters?  I think it might be a whole lot!
  11. Will the 4th OF really be a starter-type player?  B.J. Upton, Cody Ross, Shane Victorino – one of them will be the one.
  12. Will some pheonem make the team?  – Puig, Pederson, Ames, Withrow, Lee or someone else?   Who knows?
  13. Is Ryu really Mark Buehrle?  – Will Boras guarantee that?  If so, I’m all in.  I suspect he’s not… not yet anyway!
  14. Could Andre Ethier really be traded?  On one hand, I think not – on the other hand, I think so.

There you go.  We don’t know what we don’t know… at least I don’t… and I won’t even mention Carl Crawford in fear of starting a war of words!

P.S.

• I have been busy all week – Boca Raton. Florida for two days (landed a big account). http://brooklynwaterbagels.com/
  • My son’s high school played the Semi-State in Evansville, Indiana (4 hours from Indy) and won 49-14 (they are 14-0 going into the championship at Lucas Oil Stadium on Friday) ) and we were there.  http://www.cardinalritter.org/
  • Had lunch with my daughter yesterday afternoon.  She lives 3 hours away.
  • A good friend died last night at 50.
  • Notre Dame and Indiana are both #1 in their respective sports.
  • The Colts play the Patriots today.
  • The family is taking me to my favorite restaurant tonight for my birthday. http://bluebeardindy.com/
  • Life is busy and very good!!!  I’d like to post more, but there’s no time….

31 Responses to “We don’t know what we don’t know…”

1. Pete M. says:

“Ignorance is Bliss”, but this is going too far. With a Grieke or a Kuroda, a lil luck and health, I’m going all in…
    P.S. Carl Crawford will become a fan favorite…

What I do know:

the Dodgers are better now than they have been in years.

What I don’t know:

how much better they are going to get under new ownership.

3. ken says:

“… there is no way we can know what we don’t know.” Actually that is exactly my definition of wisdom. On the rare occasions when you know what you do not know you can make some great decisions.

Your list is a partial list of what we all know that we do not know. :)

Hopefully some year the players will decide that Borass is over the hill and has become less relevant because teams know that he has moved from objective to subjective presentations. If this day happens, then the game will be better off.

Congrats to Pierre for a new deal.

The dodgers should win the Wild Card with their current roster. Hoping for a couple more roster moves.

Curious who the dodgers will protect from the Rule 5 draft on Tuesday, and surprised that issue is not part of the discussion yet.

Pierre had a 1.9 WAR last year. I don’t think I have even to look at our left field situation and say that we didn’t come close to that. Yeah, good for Juan.

Is this still it?

5. Gionfriddo says:

The only “lock” I see for Tuesday is Matt Magill. He led the organization in K’s and has a high ceiling.. After Magill, it will be a crap shoot IMO.. From my seat, I say Ames & Ynoa should be protected as well.. 4 spots are open on 40 man @ present but do they DFA Sellers before tues?? How bout doing the same with Uribe?? Are they willing to expose an Ames, Blake Smith, Aaron Miller, Ynoa, etc while holding a spot for Sellers or Uribe? Should be interesting..

6. SpokaneBob says:

Brooklyn referenced this from MLB Trade Rumors:

Dodgers GM Ned Colletti is working under orders to make the team better regardless of cost. “Cost is no object for them,” said a GM. “They are playing a different game than the rest of us right now.”

We don’t know what they will do, But we DO know that they will do more. How much and what remains to be seen. This is GREAT! I certainly could see them cutting Uribe lose, I hope they do. They are looking long term and Juan is not part of that.

Why couldn’t Mark Ellis and Dee Gordon platoon for a year?

7. SpokaneBob says:

This also from Trade Rumors

•The Dodgers are the favorite to sign Zack Greinke according to an insider. Both the Angels and Rangers are said to be “on the outside looking in.”

8. ken says:

Several other blogs have articles today regarding the 40 man roster. Here is my take.

36 on 40-man Roster

DFA 4
    Sellers, Herrera, Uribe, and Ely. = 32 on roster

Add 3-8, depending upon whether the CBA allows any of them to be be traded before 12/10/12

Ames RHP (24)
    Magill RHP (23)
    Miller LHP (25)
    Ynoa 2B (25)
    Santiago RHP (23)
    Erickson C (24)
    Solano RHP (22)
    Dominquez RHP (22)

Make some trades in order to create an improved bench and bullpen and include in the trades 4-5 of these additions, if allowed under the CBA.

Sign Greinke and Ryu

Consider adding back Gwynn and Uribe temporarily?, if room, and continue to upgrade the team through additional trades and FA signings.

I am watching football and am not going to research any of this now so I am going to agree that this is a good plan but reserve my right to pull a Mitt and completely reverse my position at a later date. I trust no one has a problem with my agreeing to possibly disagree with my own take.

Words of wisdom from Badger:

“What I do know:

the Dodgers are better now than they have been in years.

What I don’t know:

how much better they are going to get under new ownership.”

I concur.

And this from MLB Trade Rumors above:

Of course, rumors are just that, rumors. They’re part of what we don’t know. So I take what I read with a grain of salt. However, unlike in prior years, I have some hope that it might become something that I know. Am I making any sense? Probably not. In any case, it’s nice to read that (at least in the eyes of one writer) we’re the favorites to sign Greinke.

And if the Dodgers sign Greinke, I doubt if it ends there.

If the Dodgers needed a roster spot or two to protect a player(s), I have little doubt that they would let loose of Uribe and/or Sellers. With 36 on the current roster, and Uribe and Sellers available to make more room available, it seems to me that the Dodgers have plenty of flexibility to sign free agents, or add via trade.

10. Gonzo says:

Happy Birthday Mark. Wish you many years of happiness and success. Your son is in hgh school now? I’m feeling old. Although I’ve never met him I remember you mentioning him back in the LA times/worldcrossing days. Also congrats on the new contract. If you ever open a store in AZ I’ll quit my day job and work for you.

To answer you 2nd question I DO know that Big Mac can help Uribe just like a trainer can help his horse that broke his leg in a race.

11. the truth hurts says:

Mark, Happy Birthday!

12. SpokaneBob says:

Badger, If Gordon and Ellis were in a platoon, wouldn’t Dee get the lions share of the playing time? The are more right handers and the one that does not start may be used late in the game. Gordon becomes the full time secondbaseman in 2014. Makes sense to me.

Makes sense to me too.

But again, if Gordon is to become the full time… whatever… he needs to face the tough left handers in our division. And there’s a bunch of them.

13. SpokaneBob says:

Mark, many happy returns!

Spokane, it does make sense, and perhaps it could work. In fact, if Gordon did really well, he could ultimately take the job full-time, assuming that he can handle lefthanded pitching. However, we don’t know if the Dodgers see Gordon as a second baseman, or if they want to keep him at short. I definitely can see where his range could be an asset at 2B, and remembering Manny Trillo, I know that a strong arm can be a real asset at 2B, both on plays up the middle and on the DP.

For now Gordon is still having throwing problems at short. And although he will turn 25 in 2013, he is still very inexperienced baseball-wise. Throwing is a problem that can be fixed, and I think it’s something we’ve all seen happen. And before I judge what Gordon has done this winter, I want to know whether or not his throwing was hampered by the right thumb he injured in July. That was only 4 months ago, and I have to believe that given the extent of the injury, the thumb may still be a problem with respect to his throwing.

Wherever Gordon plays (if he plays at all), I think he would be a huge asset to the lineup. He’s hit just about everywhere he’s been, and even did so with the Dodgers in 2011. If he’s not traded, I believe that ST will play a big role in where Gordon starts the season in April. It could be in the infield for the Dodgers, or it could be at ALBQ. I hope it’s the former, but I’d be satisfied if he got some time in the minors, and came up in May or June. Could be by that time he will be that much more ready, and perhaps that much more needed. Things happen that we don’t anticipate, and as Mark says, very correctly, “we don’t know what we don’t know”.

“Wherever Gordon plays (if he plays at all), I think he would be a huge asset to the lineup. He’s hit just about everywhere he’s been”

And for me THAT is the point. He has been extremely successful at every stop on his way up. But then, so was Andy LaRoche. Gordon needs at bats against Major League pitching. The only way anyone is going to know if he can hit at this level is if he is given an every day opportunity to do so. Maybe a platoon is a way to start that adventure. But if he is going to be an every day player, he has to hit every day, including those days left handers are on the mound.

I sure hope he earns the staring spot in Spring Training. I love the look of a lineup with that much speed in it. Gordon, Crawford, Kemp, Ramirez – even Ethier runs well. What a lineup. But only if Gordon gets on over .333.

“We know he has no glove, but can he make a difference offensively?”

Aren’t MOST of Dee’s errors throwing errors? How does one find the numbers on that? I think is glove is actually ok, and his range is All World. What to do about that throwing arm?

Can he make a difference offensively? Not if he doesn’t get on base over a third of the time. If he can, then the answer is “oh hell yes!”.

Unless it’s mental, throwing is a correctable problem. In fact, even if it’s mental (think Steve Sax) it can be corrected. In Dee’s case, it’s probably all mechanical, and likely over time a very correctable problem, especially given the fact that Gordon is a talented athlete.

From what I’ve seen, I have no reason to believe that he won’t hit, especially if he gets the bunting thing corrected. And since being a good bunter is probably a product of hard work and repeated repetition (is that redundant?), I suspect that’s something that he will master, maybe very quickly, but definitely over time.

18. AnewBlueDay says:

Gordon. With his speed, coverage in the field, and arm — he can continue to mature and will be fine.

Many a SS started with low major league batting averages . . . and then some years later. Looking at a few:

Robin Yount, .250, .267, .252 then went up.

Ozzie Smith, .258, .211, ..230, .222, .248, .243, .257 then when up

Maury Wills did not even hit the major until he was 26

Mark Belanger averaged only .228 over his 18 years in the majors. And he struck out more than he walked: 839 to 576.

We have seen Gordon make some great relay throws from the outfield to home to catch runners.

Just put him at SS or 2b and go with it.

We still can’t go a year in here without the mention of Andy LaRoche. He gets more mentions then Duke Snyder or Don Drysdale on this site.

I feel a hell of a lot better about the team this year then under the McCourt years, even with all the question marks. Is it time for Camelback yet? Lakers are finally getting their mojo going.

Duke Snyder?

LaRoche is more current. He was one of the few A prospects this organization has seen in the last several years and I still wonder wtf happened to him. He is still hanging on but…..

Lakers will roll once Nash gets back. Too much talent not to.

I agree with Roger. Just put Gordon at one of those positions and go with it.

1. [...] team. View full post on Yahoo! Sports – MLB – Los Angeles Dodgers News more… We don’t know what we don’t know… – ladodgertalk.com 11/18/2012 We all have a tendency to think we have it all figured [...]