Three Players Are All the Dodgers Need

Just Three

With Crawford in LF, Kemp in CF, Ethier in RF, Ramirez at SS, Adrian Gonzalez at 1B and AJ Ellis behind the plate, the Dodgers are very set at six positions.  Even though Hanley Ramirez is listed as a 3B – HE IS NOT PLAYING 3B in the DWL.  In fact, he is not playing the field.  He is DH’ing.

So, with the Dodgers set at six positions, they still need three (count ‘em 3) players.  Here they are:

1. Even Ray Charles can see that first on the list is a Top-of-the-Rotation Starter, like… Zach Greinke.    OK, done deal!
  2. The Dodgers need a 3B who can hit for power or be a top-of-the-lineup hitter.  Do you really think Luis Cruz is the answer?
  3. The Dodgers need a 2B who can hit for power or be a top-of-the-lineup hitter.  I love Mark Ellis, but…

After Greinke (or a bonafide #2), where do the Dodgers find a 2B and 3B?

I still like Mike Olt, David Wright, Chase Headley and others at 3B and at 2B I like Kelly Johnson, Daniel Murphy and Ian Kinsler.  I don’t know how you get any of those guys and maybe all the Dodgers need is to fill the gap at 3B.

How about Zach Lee, Dee Gordon, Chris Reed, Matt Magill and Joc Pederson for Chase Headley?  I know that’s a lot but Headley is a nice player.

Lineup:  (I like Ramirez at leadoff)

1. Ramirez  SS
  2. Crawford  LF
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Headley  3B
  6. Ethier  RF
  7. Ellis  2B
  8. Ellis  C

Maybe Castellanos and Gwynn, Jr. could be the extra outfielders.  I wonder if Big Mac could be the key to these guys.

Ideas?

Stuff

• Russell Martin signs with the Pirates.  I get that.  He was really into the night-life in Pittsburgh when he was with the Dodgers.  I saw that first hand.
  • Ramirez is not playing 3B in the DWL.  Did I mention that?
  • A deal will not be reached with FOX anytime soon.  $10 Billion I say!
  • Did Monte Kiffin just realize that his son is an A-Hole?  What took hm so long?

72 Responses to “Three Players Are All the Dodgers Need”

I don’t think San Diego would want to deal with us regarding Chase Headley.

But, I also think they would be crazy not to take that deal. All three of those pitchers WILL pitch in the Major Leagues, Gordon is already a starting Major League shortstop capable of stealing 70 bases and scoring 100 runs and Joc Pederson can hit.

Headley is the kind of player San Diego needs to keep as the face if their franchise. He is arb eligible for two more years. They would be nuts to not extend him.

But… if some team comes along and offers a ridiculous package like Mark just did…. they would have to consider it.

2. AnewBlueDay says:

On my calendar, the Baseball winter meetings begin December 3 in Nashville.

That means the Dodgers WILL SIGN Greinke by Midnight Dec 2, at the latest.

Gee, that is only — ah, this Sunday night.

As I said the other day — the Dodger brain-trust will not want to chase Greinke and his agent all over the hotel to make “another” or “better” offer than another team.

3. Idahoal says:

I certainly agree with you on the three positions. I like Chase Headley a lot. I think you are giving up too much for one guy. I still like Dee Gordon. If Ramirez would just move to third and let Gordon develop at shortstop, the Dodgers would be very strong. Then you would only need a 2nd baseman and a starting pitcher. I think Greinke will be a Dodger. They will pay too much for him, but he will be a Dodger. With that line up, you could let Gordon grow into the position. I am not sure Cruz is the answer, but I would certainly keep him. If he does not start somewhere, he will make a great utility player. Can Castellanos play second base because he can hit in my opinion. I like Gwynn as an extra outfielder. I think the Dodgers have options within their own organization.

4. ken says:

Small ad YEA!

SD needs starting pitchers who are ready to start on 4/1/13 so throw in one of the dodger healthy leftover starters plus cash instead of Magill. They want to onload big contracts so they will probably require any trading partner to take Street in exchange for a quality reliever. Keep Gordon and platoon him at 2B with Ellis and throw in Pederson instead. The Padres only have 1 OF in their top 20 prospects list, albeit he is #1.

I have not read anywhere that the Padres are offering Headley. He is one of the few things that is “right” with that organization and they control him for a few more years. He won’t be that expensive for them. Not compared to the free agent bats out there.

6. Pete M. says:

Hasn’t Dee G. all of a sudden become the elephant in the room??? As I’ve stated in the past I truly wish he would somehow be in our lineup, but for now I don’t see it. It has been painful to see him at the dish and with the glove. Hanley stays at SS and Dee starts in AAA.. Castle!! Now there is a guy I want a hard look at in. Back up Ellis and be able to play a little OF.
    Cruzzzz at 3B!?!? Gotta love the guy and hope he can beat the sophomore jinx….In the mean time pray for a amazing maturation process for Cory Seager… It’s darn near Christmas, a guy can hope, can’t he???

Gordon needed all 650 at bats at the ML level last year and he got derailed. That screwed everything up. I still have hopes he wins the starting job in Spring Training, but would not be surprised to see him start the season leading off at AAA. He needs OJT. And the Dodgers need Ramirez at third, or, something……… Cruz is a pipe dream. I’d rather have Mark Reynolds and his 300 K’s. At least he provides entertainment. And, I think I could guarantee some interesting posts in here if we signed him.

Corey Saeger is still 18 years old and in the Pioneer League. Unless he is Robin Yount, we won’t be seeing him for another 4 years.

Who’s Castle? Are you talking about Calico Joe Castle?

Just read the Kiffin comment. I must say, I can’t remember any coach doing less with more than did Lane Kiffin. And Haden seems to love the guy. At least, that what he is indicating. That job is one of the best in the country, they deserve better. And it wasn’t just the defense, though they were bad. Lane has shown he is lame when it comes to calling plays. With the type of offenses now being shown in the Pac 12, a different type of defense is needed to match up. I think it’s possible to win in that conference with an NFL offense like USC’s, because they get the athletes to do it. But, you need to be better at play calling and you need better schemes on defense.

8. Gonzo says:

You know what type of player the Dodgers need at 3B in my opinion? A stop back like Casey Blake or Scott Brosius. Seager has that “it” factor and seems to be advancing at all his stops. A 3B that can hit .270ish with 10-15 HR’s 55-65 RBI with an average glove to keep the seat warm for Seager; who I believe will be a lot better than his brother and he’s pretty good.

As for 2B let Ellis, Cruz and Castellanos battle it out. Kinsler would be sweet, but the only knock on him is that he went to ASU.

9. voldomer says:

Any thoughts on the A.J. Pierzynski rumors? I kind of like the idea if catcher becomes an even split for the two A. J.’s. Pierzynski could bring some edge to a locker room of what seem to be nice pleasant guys. Of course, that could be good or bad . . .

• gionfriddo says:

Pierzynski rumors are unfounded.. Jon Heyman came out with that rumor yesterday and today said it was “speculation” on his part. He just posted on twitter that he was told Pierzynski to LA is not happening. Nice journalism, Heyman….

Saeger has made one stop, 175 at bats in the Rookie League. He did well with them, and should move on to A ball this year. I don’t see him in AA until 2014. But, what do I really know?

Casey Blake does not bring up good memories for me, but I see your point. As long as the stop gap doesn’t cost us a top prospect, then, by all means. The move that still makes the most sense to me is Ramirez at third, Gordon at short. But, my vision on that subject remains linear.

Pierzynksi would be fine by me. I doubt Ellis would approve of the move.

11. Pete M. says:

Sorry Badger!! Castle = Castellanos…I think it’s time to see what he can do and I personally hope he heads to L.A. after ST as one of our bench players or???
    Based on A.J. P’s last year stats I don’t think he’ll go with a part time deal. I really like the A.J. Ellis Fed Ex combo and as much as I like A.J. Ellis, Fed Ex could be our future…
    I still wear my ‘In Beard We Trust’ T…Blake was one of my favs.
    Damn, why did we ever let Adrian Beltre get away???

12. MJRod55 says:

First timer, I enjoy your posts read them everyday. Thought you should know, Wright resigned with the Mets… I wanted him too! Maybe Youkilis should be looked at again?

13. Bobbie17 says:

Two starting pitchers, a 2 and 4. That’s it. The rest is a pipe dream. The need for 3d and 2d is real, but BE real. The guys you want can’t be had. Let’s patch those 2 positions together, and focus on a healthy, effective LF. Don’t count on Crawford. I hope I am wrong, but recent history is clear with him. By the way, we still have a farm system that supposedly smart scouts and coaches drafted, signed and have developed to this point. Once again–an open ST camp. 2 starting pitchers, please, and let the rest fall into place.

14. AnewBlueDay says:

Catching. All Dodger fans were basically happy with the development of Ellis behind the plate. He did much more than one would have thought just a year and a half ago.

But I think the new ownership wants more out of that position and what Ellis might provide in 2013. So I think they will make a key move to get a new catcher.

If they want to get A.J. Pierzynski – they will get him. Money and this teams lineup will attract most players.

• Kevin says:

Pierzynski is a bad idea and I think our owners are perfectly happy with Ellis behind the plate. A.J. is much better defensively and a perfect 8 hole hitter for this team. I mean someone has to hit there right? Not to mention Ellis is great in the clubhouse and has already cemented himself as a leader on this team. I don’t think Pierzynski happens. Far fetched rumors are thrown around like crazy this time of year.

15. ken says:

Headley’s agent seen drooling at the La Jolla Starbucks as he reads newspaper story regarding Wright’s new contract. Picks up phone and tells Chase to plan on a big contract in 2 years from a rich team. :)

Got it Pete. Would love to see Castle make this team.

Welcome aboard MRod.

Yeah, thanks Heyman.

Headley has another year like last year and SD won’t hang on to him.

You really like Kelly Johnson?

I don’t.

Maybe Chase Headley turned a corner in 2012, or maybe it was just a career year.

I’m wouldn’t trade that package suggested above for a player who hasn’t done it consistently year after year. Depending on what the Padres think of Headley privately, they may or may not do that deal. And just like some people think of Dee Gordon, there are probably some who not too long ago would not have thought too highly of Headley.

For now, I’ll go along with Badger. Ramirez at 3B (which I think is his long term home), and Gordon at short. My thinking too is “linear”. I could see a scenario where Gordon shifts to 2B, but only if he continues to have throwing problems at short. His range is valuable at both short and 2B. Castellanos still needs to prove himself, and I doubt if the Dodgers want to put his inexperience at 2B on a daily basis. Might just be Mark Ellis again at 2B.

I guess there’s a good chance the Dodgers sign Greinke. But I can also see a scenario where they trade for a frontline pitcher (e.g., Shields, Cliff Lee, or whoever), sign another frontline to mid-rotation pitcher, and use their money to go after a big bat (e.g., Josh Hamilton). And, of course, in that scenario Ethier gets traded. Of course, I may be hallucinating, but I’ve done that before. The point is, don’t be surprised if the Dodgers do something completely unexpected. Which is not to say that they won’t do what’s completely expected.

Should be an interesting week, or more.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Ken Gurnick who is employed by MLB and the Dodgers and travels with the team said this today: “With Ramirez wanting to stay at short, there’s no place for Gordon to play.”

I know Ken well enough to know that he can’t write what he really thinks (knows) which is: “If Hanley moves to 3B he will be a head case.”

I guarantee that is the reason he will not play 3B for at least 2-3 years… if ever!

If that is how Ramirez feels, then he is putting himself above the team. How long do the Dodgers (and the fans) put up with that kind of personality? Ramirez is not a good SS. He is in the ML because he can hit. He is not even playing the field in winter league. If he was really serious about earning his money and improving his game, he would be working on that position every chance he gets. Evidently he is not. And it would appear to those of us who don’t really know, that he doesn’t give a damn about improving his defense.

And the idea that there is no room for a guy like Gordon just sounds ridiculous to me. Sure, if he continues to get on base below .300, then the team has the right to dump him. But to already assume, after only 560 plate appearances there is no room? And to hear it’s because of ego issues? No position for arguably the fastest man in the Major Leagues? If that is the case (and I really don’t know that is the case) then do that player a favor and send him somewhere that ego does not get in the way of opportunity. Send him to San Diego and watch him score 30 runs against the Dodgers every year for the next decade.

Now the Natnals are said to be competitors in the Greinke sweepstakes? Sounds like agent-speak to me. The first team to offer this guy 6 at $25 gets him. If anybody offers more than that, they should be allowed to have him, as I am quite certain the 5th and 6th year of that contract will probably be hard to swallow. The highest paid contract for a pitcher who won’t even be the best pitcher on his own team? Come on man… stop the chatter and sign the damn contract. You’re a begonia if you don’t.

19. Gonzo says:

Badger, I’d be more excited about Gordon if he was 3-4 years younger. At this age a player has to be the player he’s going to be or on the cusp. Right now I think Dee’s worst enemy is time.

Yeah, I hear ya Gonzo. But this kid didn’t start playing baseball until last year.

ok, that’s an exaggeration, but he will only be 25 next year. And there are plenty of examples of late bloomers. One of the best was Maury Wills. Jose Bautista was traded for a PTBNL in 2008. Joe Nathan didn’t pitch in the ML until he was 28. Randy Johnson was 28 when he discovered his control. Hell, even Sandy Koufax wasn’t a hit immediately. His first 6 seasons were mediocre, then at age 27 he became unhittable. As great as Koufax was, and he was the best I ever saw, he only had about a 6 year run before he was gone. The thing about Gordon that I keep mentioning is his lack of experience. He doesn’t even have the equivalent of ONE YEAR at the Major League level. He has been great at every level at which he has played. The Dodgers need to give him a legit chance before throwing him overboard. What that kid brings to the table in natural ability cannot be taught. You are born with that speed or you are not. By all accounts he has his head on straight, (straighter than Ramirez I would be willing to say) so I figure what he needs is to be coached up. Heck, maybe McGwire will be the guy that teaches him how to hit line drives. As soon as he learns how to get on base, he is going to turn a lot of heads.

Who leads off?

Something other than Greinke will happen I think. Hmmm?

21. Joseph Olivas says:

Hey mark Im Joseph Olivas and I’ve been a fan of your site for almost four years now. I really enjoy talking and reading about the L.A Dodgers. But the reason I’m writing this right now is because you have inspired me to make my own website and i was wondering if you have any advice for me? as well if i can mention your site on my site? thank you check out my site sometime! http://andrewking07.wix.com/letstalkbusiness

22. Joseph Olivas says:

“Badger” Thanx I really appreciate it. feel free to stop by anytime!

23. Joseph Olivas says:

Andrew is my middle name

I will stop by. Gotta support anyone who supports the Dodgers.

Anyone else?

Greinke a Dodger yet?

Gearing up for the PAC 12 Championship. Kinda partial to the Bruins.

I still have ‘bama tomorrow nite.

Gordon might be considered a mini-Matt Kemp. Primarily a basketball player who didn’t start playing baseball regularly until he turned pro. As I recall, Kemp had a few ups and downs before establishing himself. Gordon is no sure thing, but his athletic gifts are obvious. And everything about the kid tells me that he has a great, cheery attitude, and a strong work ethic, which was likely largely inspired by his father.

And I’ll second what Badger said about Ramirez, because I have said pretty much the same thing in the past. If he can’t get his head around playing where he is needed most, then I don’t want him on this team. There is no doubt that he is no longer best suited to play shortstop. If he’s in denial about that, then he’s in need of an attitude adjustment. Do they have rehab for that? Maybe a twelve step program for wannabe shortstops who fail to face up to their faded skills.

Even if Gordon wasn’t in the picture, Ramirez would best serve the Dodgers by playing 3B, where he could probably become exceptional with regular work, and a commitment to excel at the position. And the Dodgers need to encourage behavior that works for the name on the front of the jersey, not the one on the back.

And really, I don’t know what Ken Gurnick thinks. Maybe he also looked into Jonathan Broxton’s eyes and decided that he can’t close. Whether Gurnick says it or not, if Ramirez is a head case, the Dodgers should rid themselves of his services at the first opportunity.

• RogerCraig says:

So Gordon is a better SS than Ramirez? On what level? I don’t see it.

Could it be you don’t see it because you lack the vision?

Hanley Ramirez has had a negative dWAR for 4 straight years. I don’t see that happening to Gordon. In fact, I see Gordon with the skills to not only be better at SS than Ramirez, but WAY better on defense than Ramirez.

• Mark_Timmons says:

“And I’ll second what Badger said about Ramirez, because I have said pretty much the same thing in the past. If he can’t get his head around playing where he is needed most, then I don’t want him on this team.”

Primma Donna Players? Well, I never…

Gordon is a good SS? HA!

“And really, I don’t know what Ken Gurnick thinks. Maybe he also looked into Jonathan Broxton’s eyes and decided that he can’t close.”

No that was Logan White who said that!

“…if Ramirez is a head case, the Dodgers should rid themselves of his services at the first opportunity.”

This is not mamby pamby land!

25. DodgerDude says:

I used to be a Gordon fan, but his time is growing thin. Quit makinmg excuses for him.

Brandon Wood was a can’t miss SS for the Angels.

How did that work out?

You used to be a Gordon fan? What happened? In his first 500 at bats he didn’t get enough accomplished for you?

Lack of experience is not an excuse, it’s a fact. If after a few years in the bigs he shows no progress, then by all means dump him. But to throw him out before giving him a real opportunity is just goofy.

• ken says:

Throwing out Gumby is Goofy. Ok it is almost time for the Saturday morning cartoons. I think that I will call him Olive Oil until he can hit .300:)

Then you will likely be calling him Olive Oil for some time.

There are not that many .300 hitters around MLB anymore. (26 total, none were Dodgers) I don’t expect Gordon to be one of them. But, I do expect him to get on base at .333 or better. If he does that, he can be a huge addition to this lineup.

As for his defense, that will come with time – and a lot of work. By all accounts, he is a hard worker.

Just for the sake of argument, let me throw this out there……I would have a long talk with Brian Wilson if I were Jed. Who knows, there have been many a pitcher that comes back from TJ surgery even better than they was. You can never have too much pitching. But…. I would have to insist that 3/4 of that beard be left in San Francisco. That thing is way overdone.

Oh, same with Jurgens. Somebody else said it first, but that is an arm worth looking at. Something happened last year, maybe the Braves know what it is and figure it’s permanent. But the guy is only 27 (in January) Maybe he can be resurrected.

Off to PHX. Got family coming in for the week-end. Will prolly miss the Big 10 and SEC games. Bummer.

“If you got rid of all the head cases, the Dodgers couldn’t field a team… and neither could most teams.”

I’m sure there are plenty of egos in MLB, but I wouldn’t go so far as to characterize most players as “head cases”.

And by the way, it’s spelled “namby pamby” (it’s in the dictionary).

For my money, if the Dodgers were unwilling to convince Ramirez to move to 3B for the good of the team, then I would question their resolve to build a winner, and then it would be the Dodgers who were residing in namby pamby land.

If the Dodgers determine that Dee Gordon can be an asset in the starting lineup, then that’s where he should be. That could mean Ramirez moving to 3B, or it could mean Gordon moving to 2B. Whatever the team deems best should rule the day. And if that means Ramirez has to move to 3B, then he needs to swallow hard and understand that the Dodgers are NOT namby pamby land. Or do we prefer a spineless management that gives in to the whims of maladjusted players.

28. SpokaneBob says:

I am a fan of Dee Gordon. I believe that if he hits 1st or 8th he adds a powerful demention to our offense. His defense will improve and his range and arm will improve the defense. Will he be our shortstop or be traded, we will just have to wait and see.

Greinke may not be worth the money he will get but adding him as our number 2 is critical. We cannot count on Billingly being healthy and we cannot get through the post season without a strong number 2. Maybe they go the trade route if he goes to Washington, but weve got the money and I would like Greinke AND another quality starter.

29. Gonzo says:

Dee is no mini Matt Kemp. Kemp played baseball as a hobby before and during high school. That’s why he got drafted he had that game experience that Dee who started playing in high school lacks. I don’t doubt that he can be serviceable but the Dodgers don’t have to wait anymore. I’m sure they’ll find some young kid soon that will make us forget Dee.

Badger, dee is fast but what good is that speed when he can’t get on base? If it was me I’d give him a 2-3 year window to shape up in AAA.

I have had a man crush on jurrjens since he broke in. Dude is FILTHY. A 1-2 year deal to right the ship.

30. ken says:

Wilson $2 mil plus $1 mil for each 10 games above 40. Trim beard and change the color to BLUE! Trade Guerra for #4 OF?

Sign Greinke both to get better and to screw with the Angels.

Gwynn seems to be still being considered to open the season with the LAD if Crawford is not ready and then traded by May 1st.

Ideas re: recent non-tender players to be considered

Jurrgens yes on first impression, but he is a Borass client so sadly he will not accept what he is worth.

Andres Torres is switch hitting low cost #4/5 CF/OF alternative

Ian Stewart platoon candidate at 3B and 2B bats L

Wil Nievens a better backup C than FedEX?

31. Idahoal says:

I agree with anyone who says Ramirez is not a good shortstop. He is a much better 3rd baseman and that is where he should play. He is playing baseball because he can hit. If he will not play third,he is placing himself above the team. Gordon needs time to develop and I am a firm believer he will. The Dodgers have many options for 2nd base. I hate to see Gordon even mentioned in a trade. I think we will regret it, if he is traded.

32. Pete M. says:

Maybe we can back off HanRam for awhile…Alot of speculating and vitriol going down!!!
    Wilson!! I’m a lil tired of Gigante used stuff…Lets give Paco and Tolleson a chance to sink or swim…We got a couple in the minors that may impress in ST… Red Patterson or maybe Yimi Garcia…Who knows, could pull a Paco (love that handle) on us.
    Sign Ryu and get another SP…
    Jair J. intrigues me, but why does the ATL let him go or what do they know. The kid is filthy……..

33. Gionfriddo says:

Good point on HanRam, Pete.. Are we all surprised that Hanley has a me-first mentality? This is not a revelation. The brass knew going in when they pulled the trigger on that deal that there were issues with his attitude. The situation will play itself out in due time.

The Beard? two time TJ surgery pitchers who come back and are successful are rare. Capuano has come back and been successful after two TJ’s. However, Capuano and Wilson are night and day in pitching styles. Can Wilson get back to 95+ on the gun with close the door stuff? He says he will get back– at this point in time I believe it comes down to Hanrahan or Wilson for the brass. The obvious choice for me is Hanrahan; he is younger and has had no arm issues to date. Belisario, Jansen, League, Hanrahan= mid 90′s heat in the 7th,8th, and 9th..How they are slotted in those innings is up to competition and Mattingly.

Jair Jurrjens was a stud SP prior to ’12. Scouts are privately saying Jurrjens troubles stem from a chronic right knee injury that might not go away.. the guy is only 27, so the knee issue (especially the drive leg for a RH pitcher) sounds legit .. somebody will take a chance on him in hopes that he rights the ship but this is not mechanical IMO but physical..

You have to be an ESPN Insider to read the entire Buster Olney article linked above. Dodgers probably don’t have the minor league talent to pull off a deal for Price, but as remote as it might be, it is intriguing.

I don’t know Jurrjens’ condition to know how he projects going forward. He’d certainly be worth signing as a NRI. Anything more would have to be based on more information than I have. Guess it depends on what teams are willing to offer. I’m sure the Dodgers are interested, but how much they’re willing to offer vs. what other teams will offer in another matter.

If Joel Hanrahan is on the market, he’s definitely worth considering. He’d look good at the back end of the Dodger bullpen along with League, Belisario and Jansen. The deeper the bullpen, the better. Not sure how Hanrahan would feel about having to share work with the other three.

Whatever is out there, I’m sure the Dodgers are in on everything. What they choose to do is something else.

Finally, I wonder how Chris Capuano would feel about being the second lefty on the pen. If the Dodgers sign/trade for enough pitching to push him out of the rotation, I’m guessing he would prefer to be traded. However, I think he could slot very well into the pen, especially given his history of bad second halves as a starter.

36. ken says:

Cappy should consider being LHP out of the pen as Loogy/long reliever/#6 starter/trade bait.

What is the price for Price? I would give up the #s 1,3-6,& 10 dodger prospects plus Harang and $10 mil.

Lest us all forget, it was Luis Cruz who kept Dee the odd man out last season. Perhaps the new owners don’t want to wait for Dee to acquire the seasoning and confidence to be what he could be.
    I don’t understand why we would use an up and coming K-Fed as a back-up. Somethings wrong here, don’t you want these types to be playing everyday in the minors instead? Yeah I think a backstop is in on Neds list.

Back up catchers are everywhere but few if them provide much offense. If FedX and AJ can split the duty and keep consistent offense going I am fine with that arrangement.

Gordon at the top of our lineup, in theory, makes it lethal. Speed kills. Gordon and Crawford followed by Kemp, Gonzalez, Ethier, Ramirez looks like a lot of runs to me. But Dee has to learn how to find his way to first base. Once he does, getting around the rest of the way will be easy.

38. dave says:

Price is available! I say go get him. If Gordon must be part of the package to make the trade then I am all in. Otherwise keep him. I still think he can pan out in long range plans. Our rich owners csn afford to wait to see if he does or doesn’t work out. If he doesn’t, so be it.

Agree with Dave. Why not get Price, and sign Greinke? I can dream, can’t I?

To quote mover:

“How about Zach Lee, Dee Gordon, Chris Reed, Matt Magill and Joc Pederson for David Price? I know that’s a lot but David Price is a nice player.”

Georgia gave Alabama more than I thought they would. Now the stage is set. Alabama opens as 10 point favorites. Any takers?

41. Pete M. says:

Badger I watched the Bama-Georgia game and sweated profusely. The line work on both sides of the ball was sick. Kelly has his job cut out for him. I will be in Vegas day after Christmas and its the only time I really gamble. A little here and a little there on my beloved Domers and a few other bowl games. Of course I hope they will have MLB odds up and I can anti up a little on the Blue.
    P.S. speaking of L.V., Albuquerque will roll thru Vegas for a 5 game stint May 11-14…

10 points seems about right in my mind Pete. I am on the fence on that one. If that line moves, I might be interested.

This is interesting:

Maybe somebody already talked about this… I have been busy with guests. If those projections are right, we got one helluva middle lineup… and it looks to me like Ramirez does lead off. Nobody else on that stat sheet shows numbers that would earn that spot.

I would take Gordon hitting .265, but sure would like to see that OBP a little higher than .307.

P.S. – Gordon 4 for his last 32 in Dominican Beisbol. Not exactly filling me with confidence down there Dee. Hanley was 1 for 6, HR and 3 ribbies. He is hitting .333.

• AnewBlueDay says:

Sometimes I wonder if players are playing full out in winter leagues, or, like Spring Training — working on some things.

Like hitting to the opposite field, or trying more bunts (like in Gordon’s case) or . . . whatever.

The key thing is that he is getting in work. And woking on fielding in practice. Maybe extra bunting and slapping the ball practice.

I think also, I would rather have Gordon at 2b than Ellis. Ellis might hit more, even 30 points higher, but Gordon just might do more with his 30 less points — for the team.

I think you are right about that Roger. And I think that whatever Dee is working on needs a lot more work. And that league can’t be any higher than AA. He will have another 100 or so at bats in the Spring to figure it out and if he doesn’t he is going back to Albuquerque or getting traded.

42. Pete M. says:

Anybody verify if Hanley had a seperated shoulder in DWL?? MRI scheduled.

• gionfriddo says:

I read that on Hanley and wondered if it was true because he homered the next game I believe.. the shoulder was hurt on a collision at the plate, correct?

43. gionfriddo says:

Badger, Pete is spot on– Brian Kelly and his staff have their work cut out for them. I was rooting for Georgia to be honest with you because Alabama is scary on the offensive line & RB. Warmack, Barrett Jones and Fluker just maul people up front for Bama and all 3 will be 1st to 2nd rd picks. What Bama’s O-line did to Georgia’s front 7 was a sight to see– especially when you take into account that the Bulldogs have THREE sure fire 1st rd picks in Jenkins, Ogletree, and Jarvis Jones (who will go top 10).

As if Bama’s line is not scary enough, you add in Lacy and the 2014 #1 pick overall in freshman T.J. Yeldon and you have a lethal road grading attack. Bottom line, it will come down to the front 7 of both teams in this game and how they are able to impose their will on the other side. Knowing that Georgia’s O-line was able to run block (Gurley had over 100 yds) is encouraging for the Irish because they will be able to move the ball on the ground with their veteran O-line and with Wood and Riddick.

Well, all the GM’s and front office staff are currently assembled in Nashville preparing for the winter meetings– what will be the first shoe to drop for the Blue? Does the Hanrahan for Capuano deal get done? Does the Greinke situation get resolved this week? Finally, will there be a trade by Ned and Stan that floors us (Price or Shields)? Going to be an interesting week as we hopefully get our first gifts of the holiday season.

Well, you can bet Kelly will have a game plan. I don’t know they match up physically with ‘bama on offense, but, they could hold up defensively if they out quick ‘em and tackle well. But you and Pete are right, both those ‘bama lines are scary. I think 10 points is fair, but not be surprised to see it go either way. I wouldn’t take Notre Dame until it got past 11, then I would be tempted but, this is one of those games I think I would just steer clear of.

Yep, going to be an interesting winter meeting. Jed will finally show up packing some heat. Can’t wait.

Here’s some more from TBLA.

I wouldn’t read too much into Gordon’s numbers. It may well be that the talent level is AA in the winter leagues, although I suspect it’s a bit higher. Also, the conditions down there are different, and that could play a role in a players performance. In Dee’s case I believe, like Roger, that we don’t know what he’s working on. I also believe that he’s still somewhat affected by the thumb injury, which while it’s probably mostly healed, might still be sore, stiff, or whatever. Let’s keep in mind that when Gordon played winter ball in Puerto Rico he tied for the league batting title. Is Puerto Rico that much easier? Did Gordon just get worse? Or are we just reading too much into his limited playing time in the DR? And maybe he’ll follow his recent 4 for 32 with a 16 for 32.

I’ll reserve judgment until I see what he does with the Dodgers, or with whatever team he’s traded to.

45. Pete M. says:

Ditto Gionfriddo…Winter Meetings…I can’t remember when I was this hyped…Great anticipation…As Steppenwolf would say Dodger fans may be on a ‘Magic Carpet Ride’….
    Everytime I’ve been worried about ND (I.E. on the road at Mich and Oklahoma)they seemed to pull it out… I’ll take what I can get, bet some and pray.

46. Bobbie17 says:

Any team that starts Dee Gordon and Tony Gwynn is doomed. Come on! We need some 600 at bat guys. Gordon can’t last 300. And Gwynn shouldn’t. Let them both compete with the farm in ST and see who wins out.

47. al says:

How do the Dodger Blue feel about having Ramon Castro as a catcher behind A.J. Ellis?

1. [...] Three Players Are All the Dodgers Need Just Three With Crawford in LF, Kemp in CF, Ethier in RF, Ramirez at SS, Adrian Gonzalez at 1B and AJ Ellis behind the plate, the Dodgers are very set at six positions.  Even though Hanley Ramirez is listed as a 3B – HE IS NOT PLAYING 3B in the DWL.  In fact, he is [...]… [...]