Categorized | Press Releases

PAT CORRALES NAMED SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE GENERAL MANAGER

LOS ANGELES— Pat Corrales, a former Major League player, manager and bench coach and a veteran of 53 years in baseball, has joined the Los Angeles Dodgers as Special Assistant to the General Manager. The announcement was made today by Dodger General Manager Ned Colletti.

“We are very happy to have Pat join us,” Colletti said.  “His vast experience, especially from his years in Atlanta and Washington, will be a great strength to our organization. He will assist us in a variety of ways, including evaluating our player development system and helping us at the Major League level.  I have known Pat for a long time and some of my early mentors, whom I respect very much, have worked side by side with him.”

After his playing career, Corrales managed for nine years in the big leagues with the Texas Rangers (1978-80), Phillies (1982-83) and the Cleveland Indians (1983-87).   He was the first major league manager of Mexican-American descent and became only the fourth manager to manage in both leagues in the same season (Philadelphia and Cleveland in 1983).

When he was hired in 1990, former Atlanta Braves’ manager Bobby Cox tabbed Corrales to be his bench coach. Corrales coached alongside Cox for nine years, a period that was part of the Braves’ reign of 14 consecutive National League East titles.  The Los Angeles native joined the Washington Nationals as a bench coach in 2007 and 2008 and returned in mid-season in the same capacity for the Nationals in 2009 and 2011 while also spending time during those years evaluating their minor league system.

Corrales, 71, was a star at Fresno (Calif.) High School and had a nine-year Major League career as a catcher with the Philadelphia Phillies (1964-65), St. Louis Cardinals (1966), Cincinnati Reds (1968-72) and San Diego Padres (1972-73).

10 Responses to “PAT CORRALES NAMED SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE GENERAL MANAGER”

Wow, before you know it, Willy Mays, Cal Ripken Jr, will be advisors of some sort for the Dodgers.

Welcome Pat. Seems to be a great BB guy.

See, day by day, changes, additions, moving forward.

Yep Roger – another great baseball man in the organization.

You know who else should be here? Mike Scioscia. Trade even up – Mattingly for Scioscia.

Here’s another one – Mattingly, Ethier, Zach Lee and cash, for Kirk Gibson, Justin Upton and Archie Bradley. I didn’t give a lot of thought to that one, so, have had it.

2. SpokaneBob says:

I have a feeling that this will help to make Ned a stronger GM, especially in face to face negotiations like in the winter meetings.

3. Gionfriddo says:

Nice hire.. Yet another Central Valley product…

4. Gonzo says:

Good baseball men are flanking Ned, so if his head has to roll, their is a short list of possible interm GMs. Don’t get to comfy Ned or anyone in the organization. millions are being invested and results will be demanded.

5. Bobbie17 says:

Sounds like someone thinks Colletti needs help. Not a good sign for him. It’s a good thing he is old.

6. ken says:

Pat Corrales too, WOW!

I see some of these additional Special Assistants as a reflection of the Crazy Guggenhiem management style whereby they are not so McShartly arrogant to fire people on the whim but rather are slowly and systematically bringing in special assistants to “evaluate” certain departments, like Player Development (FINALLY), in order to improve the brand, system and team over the long term. This approach is a sign that a healthy environment is being created and one that the fans will hopefully have the patience to appreciate. I suspect that the players will also appreciate the patient approach to change while also understanding that total failure (Uribe) will not be tolerated.

I don’t know if any of this is a threat to Colletti. I’m also not sure that we know the sort of GM he is. Now that he has resources, both human and monetary, to work with, perhaps we will see a somewhat different GM. Not sure, just speculating. And I’m sure that everything that’s happening is part of a larger plan that’s been in the works for a while.

Actually Badger, I kind of like that deal you cooked up.

I like Mattingly, so I am not really pining for Gibson. But it could work for me. I have always loved Justin Upton, so I would have no problem having him replace Ethier. Better defender by far, much faster, same if not better power, younger, and I believe he would prosper in a lineup filled with stars to guide and protect him. Bit of a gamble, but at least he can hit lefties, and his upside is light years ahead of Ethier. And from stuff I’ve read, Archie Bradley is probably a better prospect than Zach Lee.

But like you, Badger, I haven’t given this a lot of thought, so anyone who desires can have at it. And obviously the money is to entice Arizona to take on Ethier’s contract, although I believe that Upton still has time left on his.

8. Voldomer says:

I’ve read that Kasten was shocked at how understaffed the front office was when he arrived. I interpret all these hirings as “catching up,” not hints that Colletti is in danger.

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]