I’m glad Kuroda is off the radar

I know some people think I don’t like Hiroki Kuroda, but in reality I like him a lot.  Some people just don’t know a joke if it bit them on the ass.  Well, it won’t happen anyway, because he resigned with the Yankees.

I just think it was wrong to sign him for the following reasons:

1. He’s old and his arm is apt to fall off at any time; and
  2. The Dodgers would lose a first round pick and why do that?

My choice remains as follows:

1. Zach Greinke  – 5 years/ $150 mil.  Just do it and then sign Clayton to 10 years/ $300 million (hey, it’s not my money)
  2. Trade for James Sheilds (Gordon, Puig or Pederson, Lee and Capuano or Harang and $5 million in cash).

That’s it!  Dempster is no better than Harang or Capuano.  Sanchez wants way too much.

Some things to think about:

• The Dodgers added Matt Magill and Steve Ames to the 40-man roster today.  I would have added Ynoa too.  They will lose him in Rule 5.  I guarantee it.
  • Re-Sign Russell Martin – let Big Mac fix him!  Extreme – I know!  Interesting….
  • Kevin Youkilis at 3B!
  • Victorino or Ross as 4th OF.

Lineup:

1. Kershaw
  2. Greinke
  3. Shields
  4. Billingsley
  5. Capuano or Harang
  6. Lilly

22 Responses to “I’m glad Kuroda is off the radar”

1. The Bunny Rabbit inside Broxton's Soul says:

I agree that I like Kuroda but not at the expense of a first round draft pick. A lot of people just thought your Kuroda joke wasn’t funny and was very offensive. I know I did. It doesn’t mean I don’t know what’s funny. It’s just that what you think is funny and what other people think is funny in that case is different. No one is right or wrong here. Just a difference of opinion. If you make a joke like that, you have to accept that some people wouldn’t think it was funny and voice their displeasure in a loud manner. Doesn’t make you or the people voicing it right or wrong. Just makes us free to say what we want.

2. Gionfriddo says:

I’m in full agreement on Kuroda.. If Greinke wants to be a Dodger then it will happen– Guggs won’t be outbid for him… Is he content in Anaheim?

Only protect Ames & McGill ?? No Ynoa– even after he was successful in the AFL? perplexing to say the least…

Russell Martin? Much like Kuroda, we have been there, done that.. How about AJ Pierzynski?? 2 yrs/12 mill? He had his best year offensively last yr, power wise.. He can play vs most RH while the other AJ plays vs lefties.. Ned offered Pierzynski a deal 2 yrs ago before he resigned w/ChiSox (then Ned turned to Barajas).. Just a thought

I don’t remember you not liking Kuroda. Maybe I missed that. Anyway, I agree (as I stated in the last thread) that the Dodgers should not have signed Kuroda, pretty much for the same reasons as you.

I’d like to sign Greinke. But I won’t put a number on it. I prefer the Dodgers do that.

I’m sure the Dodgers will get around to signing Kershaw to an extension. I’ll let them decide on the price and length of contract.

I’d like James Shields, but I wouldn’t include some of the players you do. Definitely not Gordon and probably not Puig. The others, yes. Maybe Sanchez wants way too much, but that doesn’t mean he’ll get what he wants. The Dodgers should probably be in on him, and I’ll trust them to make the decision on how much he’s worth, and how much they can afford. By the way, what about Hellickson in a trade? Not sure he’s available, but I have heard his name bandied about.

Not sure I want Russell Martin back. But if he became the backup, it would have to be for a lot less than he’s been making lately. He’d have to agree to a large pay cut, and even then, I’m not sure the Dodgers would want him. Besides, I thought you loved Fedex.

If Victorino or Ross don’t mind being a 4th outfielder, it’s OK with me. My preference would be Victorino.

Agree about Dempster. Besides, he’ll be 36.

I’m sure the Dodgers have their reasons for not including Ynoa on the 40 man roster. I’m sure they made their decision based on what they’ve seen over his career, not just the breakout he had in the AFL. Here’s his stats. Probably would have a chance to make it with a losing team. Given the alternatives, his chances of making it as a utility infielder with the Dodgers are probably slim and none. He’s probably earned an opportunity to make it somewhere else. Looks to me as if the Dodgers are just doing the right thing in the best interests of the Kevin Youkilis, yes. But as a backup at first and third, and good righthanded bat off the bench, and DH in inter-league games.

Correct the following above.

With regard to Ynoa, “Looks to me as if the Dodgers are just doing the right thing in the best interests of the player.” That Kevin Youkilis stuff in that paragraph is the result of my deciding to put it at the end, and botching my cut and paste.

Hey thanks Mark. I really got on you when you dissed BRuss upon his departure but I know your greatest pleasure comes from inciting infuriation from the masses who think it’s true.

Just wanted to say that the best thing about Indiana is, BUTLER!

Like you say , it’s not my money but Zach could use a little “Bulldog” in him before I would sign that check

Goodbye Kuroda – $15 mil plus a draft pick plus possibly not always telling the truth.

Ynoa – Rather have him on the roster than Sellers and Herrera and Uribe. 2 more hours to change Ned’s mind. There are 10 IF on the 40 man roster but how many pure infielders on the 40 man roster will play in the minors next year? ONE? Guess Ned prefer Evans to Ynoa.

Sign Grienke and forget about Ryu (a #4 starter) and his agent Borass.
    Either sign Sanchez or trade for Shields.

Cubs DFA LaHair. Who wanted him on the dodgers last year?

How about Chone Figgins for 2B?

Under MaGwire he might really bounce back?

Maybe Steve Cohen is completely innocent, and maybe not. In any case, let’s be thankful he didn’t win the bid.

Wall Street!

Completely Innocent?

No Way!

Not Guilty?

Maybe!

Completely Innocent?

Hell no!

P.S. I predicted he would be the winning bidder.

11. Bball says:

5 at 30 for greinke. Wow is that really what he wants. I don’t think he’s worth 20 mil a year

Even more reason to hate the Spankees.

I must have missed the Kuroda “joke”.

I don’t understand the 40 man moves either, but frankly I am not that close to moves that deep. Just hope the Jed knows what he is doing. I agree Ynoa might get picked off. That wouldn’t happen with Sellers or Uribe. Of course Sellers, and just about the same age as Ynoa, has accomplished considerably more.

$30 mil for Grienke? Really? I agree with Bball. He isn’t worth $20MM, but he will get it.

Interesting rotation you got up there Mark. And I don’t trade Puig, unless he proves to be a head case. I think he may be the legit bat this organization hasn’t had in a while. Pederson might be too, but, I think he has a way to go. All I have to go by is the scouting reports, and from those I think Puig has more potential to be a power threat. He also might have the potential to be a mental midget too, not real sure about that.

Interesting article at BR regarding how many wins Greinke could mean for the Dodgers. If they sign him, and everyone is healthy, it could be enough to catch, and pass, the gints. Greinke has never won more than 15 games, and for the $25MM he is asking, the Dodgers would expect him to pass that mark. And he could do it if all the position players stay on the field.

6 at $25 and he is a Dodger. Nobody else will offer that. Not for a guy coming off 2 straight years of a sub 3 WAR. Again, I don’t believe he is worth it, but it isn’t my money. As long as Bills and Lilly check out, I would go after Shields and figure we will outscore the midgets by enough to beat ‘em. But, counting on Bills and Lilly my be folly. If Jed wants Grienke, just go sign him.

13. AnewBlueDay says:

I am not sure of all the pitchers available right now to sign (free agents) or the possible trade names — but I feel in my bones — that the Dodgers will now sign the biggest or best possibility without question.

Ownership has spent too much money, signed too many front office folks, world development, etc. to settle on Billingsley, Capuano, Harang, and Lilly as 3 or 4 of the Dodger starters this coming season. Many only one from that list will be on the team.

14. Pete M. says:

I like the Figgins idea. Still trying to figure out what went wrong. I don’t like it now, but every time there is a scenario like this I think about PED’s…Did he or didn’t he???
    I’m still not buying Youk @ 3B. What about Eric Chavez???
    We need to give Puig and Joc P every opportunity in the future that we didn’t give Sands.
    Greinke and Sheilds would make me a very happy camper…
    Hiroki my Warrior give em hell in the NY…..

15. Bobbie17 says:

Don’t dismiss Dempster. None of the other Dodger starters, exccept Kershaw, has had the career he has had and are not in the same league with him as far as pure pitching talent goes. He is old, however. For the right price I wouldn’t hesitate to put him in the #2 slot and move everyone else back–or off. We cant’ give him years, though. Someone else might.

16. ken says:

1. Kershaw – 5 years $125 mil
    2. Greinke – 5 years $117.5 mil, with year 6 option based upon yr 5 innings
    3A. Shields – 4 years $80 mil after Trading Capuano, Lilly, $10 mil, Lee and Reed or
    3B. Sanchez – 4 years $85 mil