Got Juice?

The Rumor Mill is spinning out of control.

Mark McGwire to be Dodgers hitting coach?

Roid up!

For the record, if it happens, I am down with it.

Good Choice!

20 Responses to “Got Juice?”

I read that too. I am not sure how I feel about it yet…

I think if you look at the Cards’ lineups since Big Mac was their hitting coach, they were very productive. Yes he had Pujols, but the other lesser guys always seemed to have good at bats.

They also had that “clutch” gene the past many years. Hopefully Mac can bring that to LA.

I’m for this move.

From article . . .

The controversial slugger went to Damien High School in La Verne, played at USC and still lives in Irvine. Geography is believed to be a key to his wanting to make the move.

The Dodgers’ recent hitting coach Dave Hansen was the only coach not invited to return in 2013. He has since signed up as the Mariners’ new hitting coach.

McGwire is credited with helping the Cardinals shape one of baseball’s most prolific offenses, helping to develop young hitters Allen Craig, David Freese, Matt Carpenter and others.

Neither the Dodgers nor Cardinals have yet to release an official statement.
    ——–

So, as a good Dodger fan, I suck it up, take it in — and he is my hitting coach.

I do have his rookie card (Topps) and other.

He does know something about hitting, and would probably be the first one to tell the younger guys . . . plan clean.

See, I said on the last file here — the Dodgers have something about every day, even every hour to make this team better.

Good choice. He knows a lot about hitting and obviously his students listen to him.

It just keeps getting better.

6. RoidRage says:

Bring it on, he may even be able to hook up some of our boys with his past connections, I mean associates.

Apparently you all missed the other story, Lance Armstrong has been hired by the Dodgers as Conditioning Coach.

This team is going to kick ass!

7. Gionfriddo says:

Good move… Allen Craig & David Freese both gave McGwire credit for their success— that says a lot…

8. ross says:

Lots of Hitters took ‘roids…how many of them hit 70 dingers?..The man had/has talent..don’t worry about the past..look to the future

Seriously it’s as if McGwire still takes roids as a coach, and because of those roids, the hitters become better!

Good hire

It’s OK with me. He got good results with the Cardinals, and hopefully will get the same results with the Dodgers. But no matter who the hitting coach is, the success of the Dodgers lineup will hinge mostly on the overall health of everyone in the lineup. But, if as friddo says (and I have no reason to think otherwise), both Allen Craig and David Freese endorse McGuire, it probably does say a lot.

I believe tomorrow (Saturday) is the first day that free agents can sign with teams other than their former clubs. Let the games begin!!!!!

11. ken says:

Too bad about Guerra’s shoulder surgery. Another LAD pitcher under the knife that hopefully will be ready by ST.

McGuire’s pupils have been Clutch much more often than they have been Chokers. Hopefully he can reverse the dodger experience.

Badger – My comment was about mccourt.

Stan the Man
    Is moving fast
    Now there is no way
    The dodgers finish last

Haren for Marmol? Really? I think the Cubs won that one.

McCourt? OK. I agree with the premise, just wasn’t sure where it came from. McCourt pulled a fast one on the people of L.A. (and his wife evidently). Good move if you can pull it off. Declare bankruptcy and walk away with a billion. “He loves L.A..!”

Ely to LAA for Vernon Wells and $35 mil :)

Kuroda gets 13.3 mil offer from NYY, oh well.

If it becomes official, it appears to me that Mark McGuire’s decision to come to the Dodgers stems not only from his desire to be closer to home, but is a testament to the relevance of the Dodgers, something that has been brought into question on this site.

Not only have the Dodgers attracted McGuire, but also experienced baseball executives such as Gerry Hunsicker and Bob Engle. Somebody tell me that any of these guys would have signed on if Frank McCourt was still at the helm. It would seem that the Dodgers have changed their persona, and are now a desired destination for players, coaches, and executives.

I’m sure there will be some bumps in the road going forward (there always are), but there is no doubt that the Dodgers are relevant again, and will remain increasingly so in the days, months and years ahead.

• RogerCraig says:

The same people would have signed on if McCourt were there, IF McCourt had the money to pay them and he did not. Don’t forget Frank got Torre and others. His pockets were just shallow – these guys have deep pockets.

15. Bobbie17 says:

Without placing too much importance on the position of hitting coach, this is a good choice. I think he brings a certain mentality that will be useful. I’m thinking he may help he young hitters like Van Slyke with confidence to stay with the big team. Some of these guys have to be good enough. I will not believe they are not.

1. [...] Got Juice? The Rumor Mill is spinning out of control. Mark McGwire to be Dodgers hitting coach? Roid up! He may be a great choice, but there will always be those digs by people like me. For the record, if it happens, I am down with it. Good Choice!  … [...]