Dodgers TV Deal is Worth $10 Billion to Fox

The Dodgers hold all the cards in the negotiations with FOX:

• If they don’t reach an agreement by next Friday (and I really doubt they will.  I mean why would they?), the Dodgers then can present FOX with a final DEMAND.
  • FOX then has 30 days to accept or reject the offer.  The final demand should be for 25 years/$10 Billion.  Take it or leave it.
  • If they reject it, the Dodgers can negotiate with anyone (like Time Warner) or start their own network (that would be the ticket).
  • Fox would like to add the Dodgers to their purchase of half of the YES (Yankees) network, which they will eventually own totally.
  • If the Dodgers leave FOX, all FOX would have is the Ducks, Kings, Angels and Clippers.  Yeah, that’s not a position they want to be in.
  • FOX will be forced to pay $10 Billion – It’s not worth that to TMC.

On the other hand, why not just hire an experienced Network Executive and build your own channel and keep all the money?

Here’s how to negotiate that:  “$10 Billion or we are your competitors, chumps!”

36 Responses to “Dodgers TV Deal is Worth $10 Billion to Fox”

1. joseph o. says:

NO THEY ARE WORKING ON A DEAL CLOSER TO 7BILLION AND ITS ALMOST DONE! THE DODGERS HAVE TO MAKE THIS DEAL BECAUSE IF THEY DONT THEY WILL NOT HAVE LEVERAGE BECAUSE FOX IS CLAMING THEY WILL BACK OUT IF A DEAL IS NOT REACHED!

• Miguel says:

If Fox “walks away” from the deal they lose ALOT. Its a bluff, and something that is always said in these types of negotiations. Everyone knows it, the writing is on the wall for Fox and everyone sees it.

Mark “may” be right, and I thought that I read somewhere a month or so ago someone else saying that if the Dodgers build their own RSN then the revenues would be estimated at 400MM/yr. Which is Mark’s number here!

I doubt that the Dodgers will sign with Fox before the deadline to negotiate is over. They’ll test the waters, eat up all the lovely press coverage that they’ll get, and after that I’m 50/50 on whether or not they build their own RSN or they sell the rights.

Either way I have supreme confidence and Kasten and crew to make the right decisions. They have so far in my eyes and I’ve never felt more confidence in the Dodgers executive team and management ever.

2. ken says:

If we have to read an add everytime we want to post, then can we have an edit function? :)

What ken said.

That’s a rather large ad. I don’t have a problem with you promoting your business here, it’s your site, but, Black Friday (a ridiculous concept by the way) is thankfully over.

10 billion? Man, that’s a lot of cheddar. I would like to see them with their own DTV network and Fox would be remiss to let this one slip away. The deal I read was $6, maybe $7 billion, or 20 times what the current deal is worth. Isn’t that enough?

I’ll admit, I don’t have a clue what the deal is worth to Fox, and where the Dodgers should draw a line in the sand. As Badger says, $6 or $7 billion is a lot of cheddar. But so did it seem that the $3 billion that McCourt negotiated was also considerable cheddar (at least, to some). In essence, how ever much cheddar it is, the Dodgers are now truly a large market team, that will have a large market budget. And I’m guessing that a DTV network is worth whatever the Dodgers can make of it. If the team wins, the sponsorship money could be off the charts. I suspect the people negotiating on both sides are all pretty smart, so I’ll just leave it the Dodgers to determine what they can get, and what they believe to be in their best interests, long term.

Meanwhile, the Winter Meetings are next week, and I’m guessing that things should start happening then, or thereabouts.

Black Friday is over, but we’re still in the midst of Cyber Monday. I too have no problem with Mark promoting his business on his site. Seems like the logical thing to do. But that ad up there does seem a bit busy. Everybody better hurry up, because the sale ends tonight just before the stroke of midnight.

Hopefully Mark gets a spot on DTV.

If I was the agent for Greinke I would say to the dodgers that I want $22.5 mil per year the number of years being the number of billions in the new tv deal. :) I predict no more than $7 billion.

Lovin those NRI signings. The many special assistants at work behind the scenes as Ned works on 1B Greinke, an extention for 1A Kershaw, and a #2 to place in the #3 slot.

If we click on the advertisement above, then does Mark have to pay himself? :)

8. the truth hurts says:

Talk about Stanton possibly being traded by the Marlins, that would be the greatest Christmas present ever.

9. AnewBlueDay says:

Something tells me that the Dodgers do not want to go into the up and coming meeting without a first class pitcher either signed or traded for.

Because when those meetings start, FA signings and trades shake up the house — I believe the Dodgers was to control their own destiny, not reach to other teams and their dealings.

And by the looks of it, Grienke is getting expensive to sign.

I think it’s generally accepted that Greinke will get much more than he is worth. With that in mind I also think that is why the Dodgers are favored to sign him.

Anybody hear what Kornheiser said about Notre Dame Alabama today?

And for the record, I hope every SEC team loses their bowl games. I am tired of them. Go Irish!

• Gionfriddo says:

Enlighten me, what did Kornheiser say about Bama-ND ?

• Mark_Timmons says:

Whatever he says is most likely wrong. Tony Kornheiser says some crazy things. Sometimes he says them just to get attention. He makes outlandish and brash predictions. He waves a Canadian flag at the close of one of his shows from time to time. His short-lived stint on Monday Night Football was so painful it had viewers wishing for a return of Dennis Miller to the broadcast booth.

He said Notre Dame doesn’t have to beat anybody because they are not in a conference. Put them in a conference and maybe things would be different. Makes sense to me. Conference games are really testy. He also said Alabama will be about a ten point favorite and will probably win the game.

Go Irish.

btw, I think they should be part of the Big 10, where the so called “rivalries” that do exist (Michigan, Purdue, Northwestern, MSU) would actually mean something.

Why is Nebraska in that conference? Get them out, get Notre Dame in.

Won’t happen. Notre Dame won’t do it. It’s about the money they would have to split, and the recruiting footprints they would lose.

I liked Kornheiser in the booth. Couldn’t stand Dennis Miller. Don’t like anything he does anymore. I think he is a washed up vulgar former comic.

What have you got against Canada?

11. ken says:

Boston releases IDJ. Another NRI?
    Broxton to receive 3 year deal and big bucks as closer for Reds.

I would rather overpay for Greinke than overpay for any of Borass’ clients.

“How do the Angels, who are paying Weaver $17 mil per year, justify paying anything close to what the dodgers will pay for Greinke?” ken

They don’t.

or, they just have Weaver read this:

85% of those who voted say he is not worth the money. But then, he is going to get it. Might as well be the Dodgers, and hopefully Greinke pitches 200 per for the next 6 years. In Dodger Stadium he should pitch well and with the sticks we will stack up, he should win.

13. Bobbie17 says:

Weaver took a home town discount when he signed and was happy with it. He’s one of the few good guys in the game. Can we get him? Just kidding.

14. Gionfriddo says:

Per Jon Heyman: Angels are telling industry sources they are OUT on running for Greinke..

WOW- wonder who might get that guy for 6 yrs @ 145 mill?? ANY IDEAS?

Been super busy lately, I bet no one even missed me. Greinke would be the big catch of the winter if we can pull it off. As Badger mentioned I think the Rangers are the only other team that would be willing to put up a fight if the Angels are saying they’re out. I’m not sure if I believe the Angels are out however.

As for the advertizing at the top of the page, I suggest a mouse with the roller in the middle to just scroll down quickly and everyone will be happy. We need Mark around with his pocket full of cash just in case the current owners go bankrupt. :-)

16. Gionfriddo says:

Great guess, Badger… Jon Daniel & Texas are squeamish about going over 100 mill for Hamilton. Greinke will be too rich for their blood ..

Ok, take one shot @ it…

GO IRISH

17. Gionfriddo says:

Jon Daniels

18. Gionfriddo says:

Hell, at this point we should just try to pin down the date in which the “Greinke signs with the Dodgers” becomes an official announcement …. I’ll say Dec. 5

19. Gionfriddo says:

Badger, I’m with u on Georgia @ #2.. they have NO business being there and here’s the reasons why:
    They scheduled the following– U of Buffalo, Georgia Southern, Florida Atlantic..

NOW, combine that with the fact that due to SEC scheduling they MISSED out on playing LSU, Texas A&M, & Bama this year.. Their one loss –S. Carolina waxed their a.. all over the field..

Why are they @2?? Why are they in top 5 is the better question..

You are on the money. And that is EXACTLY why I say the BCS computers don’t work.

And if it don’t work – FIX IT!

• Voldomer says:

Who has Georgia ranked #2?

They are obviously ranked #3 playing for an opportunity to be ranked #3. friddo knew what I was talking about. In case you haven’t noticed boldly, we have no edit capability here.

“Voldy”

Edit please.

Georgia had a pancake schedule. Don’t read what I just wrote, as typing from an iphone with my arthritic fingers just doesn’t work. Add the fact we have no way to edit, and things can get confusing around here.

There are articles all over the internet regarding why Notre Dame and Georgia may not should be there, and Oregon and Alabam should. Everyone has an opinion based on where your biases lie. Mine lie in the West. friddo’s lie with Notre Dame. The thing is, the BCS computer system is just not an acceptable way to determine who plays. It never has been and it never will be. Like every other sport on the planet, some kind of play-off is needed.

20. AnewBlueDay says:

As reality sets in on just WHAT the Dodgers are doing, no telling the new concerns there will be in the wind.

I heard a few weeks ago, that ownership wants to have an All-Star at every position within two years. That means signing or trading for the best out there.

Nice, but hugh payroll. Other teams and other fans really out to razzzzz the Dodgers, as destroying baseball. Especially small team market places will really get angry.

1. [...] Dodgers TV Deal is Worth $10 Billion to Fox Forget what you have heard.  I think the Dodgers TV deal will be a lot more than a quarter of a billion a year.  I think $400 million is just about right and if it is, I fully understand why Guggs and Company paid $2.1 Billion for the team. The Dodgers hold all the cards [...]… [...]

2. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]