When THE TRADE was announced, it was assumed by most of baseball that the Dodgers would become Yankees West and buy their way to a title.
- The Giants lost the leading hitter in the NL to suspension.
- Their Cy Young winning pitcher was horrible all season.
- The Dodgers got Hanley Ramirez, Shane Victorino, Adrian Gonzales, Randy Choate, Brandon League and Josh Beckett.
- The Giants got Marco Scutaro and Hunter Pence.
- It looked like the Dodgers got the gold mine and the Giants got the shaft.
I hear people say that the trade wasn’t made to win this year. That’s total BS. Of course it was made to win this year and the next as a well. The Giants pulled together and played as a team, picking each other up and getting the job done in the clutch. The pretty boy Dodgers didn’t. I used the Cardinals as an example of a team that has a “culture of winning” but boy, oh boy does that apply just as much or more to the Giants.
It turns out the Dodgers weren’t the Junk Yard Dogs – the Giants were (and I mean that as a compliment).
For some reason, the Baseball Gods shined on the Giants this year…
This is why I worry about next year. What makes us think the rich boys will get the job done next year when they couldn’t get it done this year?
I have the least amount of confidence in the 2013 Dodger team as I have had in over 15 years. Boy, I hope I am really, really wrong.
Congratulations to the Giants. They deserve it and I am proud of them.
Not enough to not root for the Tigers, however!
- Dave Hansen goes to Seattle as hitting coach – maybe the Dodgers will sign Chris Chambliss (former Seattle batting coach)?
- How about signing Mike Napoli and let him catch 60 games and play 60 games in RF backing up Ethier (Joe Ferguson)?
- Dee Gordon is up to .320 with a .393 OB%.
- Otani will be signed by the Dodgers. Book it!