Does Josh Beckett Have Anything Left?

Does he have anything left in his golden arm?  It would seem to me that since he can’t “throw back as many beers” in the Dodger Clubhouse as he did in Boston (allegedly), his arm may benefit.

Josh used to throw 97-98 MPH, now it’s 92-93 on a good day.

By his own admission, Josh was not… well let’s say… at his best, in Boston the past couple of years.

Clearly, Josh Beckett knows how to pitch.  I have a friend who had a  son who pitched in the minors with Beckett and was just amazed by his ability.  He called him “unreal.”

Josh Beckett is not the pitcher he once was, but his stuff is still pretty damn good.  If he takes this off-season seriously, works out and comes to Spring Training in the best shape of his life, he could be a worthy number 2 behind Clayton.

Time will tell.  I said that Chris Capuano could win 20 games in 2012 and  how did that work out?

Josh Beckett is capable of winning 20 games.

He makes almost $16 million. He should win 20 games.

Can he do it?

That is the question.

P.S. What will Chad Billingsley do in 2013?  I haven’t a clue….

50 Responses to “Does Josh Beckett Have Anything Left?”

Good question. We are all just going to be guessing, but, I think he pitched well for the Dodgers this year. He got 170 total IP, and only has 1892 IP for his career. That’s 3,000 less than Clemens and 4,000 less than Ryan.

I think he can be very helpful to a staff. 30 or so starts, 180 IP, and if he can do again next year what he did this year, 2.93 ERA, yeah, he can help.

The bigger question for me is, who might they pick up in case Bills and Lilly are done. Shields? Guthrie? McCarthy? Lohse? Floyd? Peavy? Grienke?

Sign League right away.

2. Gionfriddo says:

Good question– Beckett is not going back to where he was in his prime and that is when he sat at 93-95 & could reach back for 96-97 when he had the count in his favor. What we will get from a healthy Beckett (much like the 7 starts as a Dodger) is a guy who will battle with good control and a lot of grit.. 2-3, 2.93, 6 QS in 7 starts for us down the stretch showed what he has left..

Will the fastball get back up to mid 90′s without the beer in the clubhouse?? who knows– for me, I say no. Clemens and N Ryan were anomalies– 1,900 innings is still a lot of wear and tear on the shoulder and elbow. Does he win 20? I doubt it.. will we all be happy with 14-15 wins and 200 innings??

Billingsley has a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament– has anybody ever tried rehabbing this sort of injury through strength exercises and been successful?? Bottom line, he will go under the knife IMO and be lost for ’13.. the better question might be why is the Dodger brass putting off the inevitable?

I fear you are right about Bills. Just do it and come back stronger.

The Dodgers need more starters. They will get them.

And I was joking about Ryan and Clemens.

Beckett doesn’t need a 97 mph heater. As Mark suggests, he is a pitcher and his stuff is good enough. I like him. I hope he finds a real home in Los Angeles. But, he won’t win 20 games. 19 maybe, but not 20.

4. Gonzo says:

Beckett needs to work out over the off season wher have I heard that before?

5. Colin Farrell says:

Wow. I there could have had 8.

Take a look at Beckett’s charts for 2012 and tell me what you see:

• Gionfriddo says:

Relying a lot on the cutter (20%) as opposed to the heater (48%) — that was the one glaring thing I saw, Badger.. In his heyday, Beckett relied on the fastball 2/3 of the time… Could be the advancement of the cutter since Rivera “invented” it or simply Beckett has gone away from the heater because of his drop in mph..

He still throws low to mid 90′s but you will see a lot more cutters sliders and change ups next year. What I noticed was the heat maps – there were way too many balls over the heart of the plate. He needs to find the edges with those pitches and keep the 92 mph fastball at the knees or under the hands. I wouldn’t expect him to step in as the #2, even though he is getting that kind of money, but as a 4-5 starter, again, with about 180 innings of sub 4 ERA, I would be happy.

Not sure about his shoulder issues, but he still started 27 games and averaged 6 IP per start. And, there was that sub 3 ERA in 7 starts for L.A..

I hope he is ok. If can go the Greg Maddux route – sliders, change-ups, cutters, he could do very well here. Of course, it would help to get the Maddux strike zone, which had about a 24″ plate.

Dodgers LF ranked 13th in the NL in OPS.

Dodgers 3B ranked 12th in the NL in OPS.

Dodgers SS ranked 11th in the NL in OPS.

Dodgers 1B ranked 14th in the NL in OPS.

Chokers… or just not very good hitters?

LF, SS and 1B have had HUGE upgrades.

3B?

Some one like Shohei Otani should become the Curt Flood of international players. They could do the following to create “standing” to sue:
    1. Have a press conference and announce that he will never play baseball in Japan
    2. Enroll in a University in the United States and play college baseball
    3. If a single Japan baseball team drafts him and prevents him from being drafted during college, then sue MLB and NBP

On June 12, 2012 Beckett had right shoulder inflamation and was placed on the 15 Day DL

Start pushed back twice in August 2012

July ERA 6.08
    August ERA 8.59
    September ERA 2.65

Maybe his shoulder is better, or maybe he really hated Boston, who just fired their manager, or maybe both.

Whether or not his shoulder has some type of minor injury I think that he is past his prime, he will try harder in LA, he will not regain his arm strength, and he will eventually attempt to succeed in the same manner as Greg Maddux.

Re: Bills, I hope that the current treatment will be successful. However, the wear and tear on a starter’s arm and reliever’s arm may be different enough to have Bills arm appear to be healthy to start the 2013 season but become injured again part of the way through the 2013 season. Bills should receive his treatment longer and not throw for a period of time much longer than Saito.

“During the 2008 season, Saito partially tore the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow. Team trainers gave him a mere 20% chance of returning that season. To improve his odds, Saito agreed to a procedure that until that time, was believed to have never been performed on a MLB pitcher, PRP Therapy. This form of treatment allowed him to forgo Tommy John surgery, the conventional treatment for this type of injury, which would have required nine months to a year of rehabilitation.”

Minority interest in Red Sox for Sale?

Reds lose 3 in a row, can’t say anything good about the giants, so “Reds Choke”.

10. Gonzo says:

Beckett will not have the upper 90s speed he had back in the day, but if he gets serious he could touch the mid 90s at a consistent level. I think he’ll surprise people next year.

To me, pitchers have to run run run. When I coached HS ball my pitchers ran an avg of 10-15 miles a week. They hated it at first but when they pitched longer into games and felt they threw harder they began doing it on their own.

11. Bobbie17 says:

The team can’t rely on injured pitchers, especially old ones. It needs at least 2 more capable starters, not just inning eaters. The bullpen is ok. A closer will appear at some point. I’ve seen Brandon McCarthy pitch a few times. He is good. I don’t think the head injury will affect him. Can he pitch in the spotlight that is LA? Who knows? It has beaten quite a few other players. Small market to big market is a tough deal unless the team is good enough to take the pressure off. This one is not.

The Dodgers will get somebody. There is a list of strong #2-4 types out there.

I agree with the conditioning aspect Gonzo. Pitchers need to run, run hard and run often. I think Beckett will like it in L.A. and do his best to resurrect his stellar career. Boston was a zoo. He is smart and knows what he needs to do – locate his pitches. He has all 4 of them, and does not need to throw the FB over the plate. His cutter, slider (more depth) circle change, and 2 seamer on the corners will get people out.

30 starts. 180+ innings. ERA 3.5. 3 WAR. Those are my projections for him.

But then, my glass is half full. We will need to hear from others who don’t think as much of him.

Probably not necessary for the Dodgers to make a decision on Billingsley until a little later. He’s already gone past the window that will allow him to pitch next year after surgery. If he had the surgery now, or two months from now, he wouldn’t be back until 2014. But, if he’s going to have it, then the sooner the better.

Beckett looked good this year, and probably slots well in any of the 3-4-5 slots. I expect he will work hard this winter to regain some of the luster he’s lost. At age 33 next year, he’s probably not yet primed for an old age home. No reason he can’t win 12-15 next year. 20 is a bit high, especially in this age of the five man rotation. 20 was a lot more likely in the days of the 4 man rotation.

Now to a matter from the previous thread. In that thread Badger dismissed Ken’s characterization of him as having “cult like delusions” as being “pretty weak”. I don’t pretend to speak for Badger, but I felt that he was either being nice, or just didn’t think it was worth the effort to take it any further. So at the risk of perhaps getting Badger annoyed, I’ll just offer my thoughts on the matter.

Sounded as if Ken was endeavoring to label Badger as being some sort of fringe crackpot. Because if Ken understands anything, it’s extremes. And it’s from that self-righteous vantage point that Ken describes Badger as being “self-centered” and unable to comprehend the issue at hand.

And Ken, feel free to lambast me as much as you please, and I’ll continue to just skim through your posts, since my busy schedule doesn’t afford me the time to give them any serious thought. Being busy does have its benefits. Less verbiage to pore over. So I’ll make it my business not to get into any dialogue with you, and do my best to ignore you, as you “spew out your cult type delusions”.

13. SpokaneBob says:

Brooklyn Dodger aka Mr. Kotter.

I want to be an honery sweathog.

14. SpokaneBob says:

I ment honerary

I hate typing on my cell phone

I think you actually mean ornery Bob. And that is said with a smiley face :)

Thanks for having my back Brooklyn. I appreciate it. I am not sure exactly what is going on with ken, thin skin maybe. A lot of people are on the edge these days. I’ll join you in ignoring the insults.

I didn’t predict wins for Beckett. Maybe I should add that to my projections. I’ll go with 13. That should be safe. If he is our number 4, I’ll go with 13 wins, that will put him just past this year’s Capuano and Harang, at least one of whom I expect back. Heck, maybe both will be back. They weren’t that bad. If Cap does next year what he did this year, 198 IP with a 1.2 WHIP, he could get 16 wins with our improved lineup.

15. Gonzo says:

I think Beckett can win 16 games. He is a stopper. Sounds like Gonzo has a chip on his shoulder. Watch out NL West!

Well, the first step toward a new hitting coach was just taken:

The Dodgers announced earlier today that hitting coach Dave Hansen will not return in 2013. However, Hansen has been offered another position in the club, tweets Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times.

17. ken says:

6 batting instructors in 7 years. Are the batting instructors the problem or the approach required by Ned and Donnie?

Everyone should know that answer. Some can\’t stand the truth.

What is the truth?

Maybe the question should be.. what is your idea of the truth. The truth seems to take different forms. Illusion abounds.

I get the feeling the Natnals are snake bit.

And now the gints have home field in the NLCS and I have to root for the Cardinals?

I think baseball season is over for me.

Oregon. USC. Stanford. Oregon State. Washington. Pac 12 looking stacked this year.

Badger,

Don’t you know that the truth will set you free? And, like beauty, truth is in the eye of the beholder.

If Onelki Garcia is as good as described in the above article, then he could definitely help bolster the left side of the Dodger bullpen. And if Scott Elbert returns healthy, and can pick up where he left off, the Dodger bullpen with Jansen, League, Belisario, Elbert, and Garcia could be quite formidable. Throw in two from Guerrier, Guerra, Rodriguez, Tolleson and Wall, and I think the Dodgers could easily be seven deep. And if the Dodgers can put runs on the board to support their pitching, a long man per se, may be less of a necessity.

Badger, you really don’t have to root for the Cardinals. As far as I’m concerned, it doesn’t matter if the Giants win. If the Dodgers do what they’re capable of, they will ultimately make the Giants irrelevant.

Actually I have no problem rooting for the Cardinals. I’ll watch some of it. Though your point is valid, I always have a problem with watching the midgets. I don’t like them. I want them gone.

And of course the Yankees are there. They are always there. Every year. There they are. Damn Yankees. Why are they there every year? Because they have the players. Right through the lineup, good hitters in every slot in the order. It ain’t about the coaching, lame excuse. It’s about the players. And their pitching is good too. 5th in the league this year and so far, 1st in the post season.

You think Washington could have used Strasburg?

NY Yankee Post season BA while Donnie was Batting Coach

2004 – .177 – Wins 101 = Chokers
    2005 – .143 – Wins 95 = Maybe Chokers
    2006 – .138 – Wins 97 = Chokers

21. Anonymous says:

Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

I thought about Strasburg, and expect that his being shut down will be brought up in the wake of the Nationals’ loss. Maybe in their planning the Nationals should have spaced out his work during the season, and had him ready to pitch in the postseason. No doubt that he could have made a difference. But I’m second guessing, and don’t have the sort of inside information that would enable me to reach a firm conclusion. Who knows, maybe the Nationals management is second guessing themselves.

This from MSTI on Dave Hansen.

For me, the key line is this: “After all, it was only a year ago that everyone couldn’t stop singing his praises.”

And if I’m not mistaken, I believe there were some nice words about Hansen on this site last year after he took over as hitting coach. Coaches can help, but in the end, it’s mostly the players themselves.

Coaches can help, that is true. But you are absolutely right, in the end, a coach can only take a .250 hitter back to .250.

The Dodgers just need better hitters. A complete season of Kemp and Gonzramford (somebody should be able to come up with a better one than that – Crawgonzamirez?) and we will know more about these Dodgers. You can’t expect guys like Gwynn, Mark Ellis, Loney, the 4A players we tried, Treanor, Uribe, Gordon, the aging Rivera and Abreu – who among these guys would even be back-ups on the New York Yankees? None of them. I just looked, this team had over 2500 at bats from players hitting .258 or less. Is that Hansen’s fault? Is it the fault of the other 6 batting coaches the Dodgers have tried? Or could it possibly be Jed Collecti just didn’t find enough good hitters in the scrap heaps he was digging through?

It’s a simple formula really – better players = better record.

Things are about to change. (but ‘cept for Ken. He will talking choke for another several months. One track mind)

Let’s say that the Nationals choked and the Cardinals were clutch. But how can the Cardinals be clutch if they did it against a bunch of chokers? And how are the Nationals chokers if they were just unfortunate enough to be playing the clutch Cardinals? Just too confusing for my simple mind.

And let’s suppose that the hit by Descalso that was off the glove of Ian Desmond is just a tad bit further to the left (or Desmond is playing a step further to the left). Desmond probably makes the play and the chokers are clutch and the clutchers (new word) are chokers. Sounds logical to me.

It IS logical.

I didn’t see any choking. Both teams gave it all they had right to the end. That’s baseball – a bounce here, an error there, a bad call by an umpire – stuff happens in this game.

Neither of the teams I picked are left. Being the best team after 162 games doesn’t mean much does it.

25. Bobbie17 says:

More reliably healthy pitchers are needed. I don’t care where they come from. Beckett may have to learn a different style of pitching–or more pitches. He has the ability to do it—-IF HE WANTS TO. That may be the problem. You guys are right about talent vs. coaching. But at the minor league level, coaches are important, from rookie ball to the top. We need some one or something or some system to get these guys from the minors to the majors. Or draft better. The more you think about it, the more it is a mystery. The teams still playing have figured it out. Why can’t we?

Go Cardinals, Yankees and/or Tigers.

Been away on a 5-day cruise out of Galveston (5 hours from where we live) and there was NO sports news on the ship, nor any sports channels on TV. So I have been in the dark until we returned just a couple of hours ago. Read thought most of the posts . . . some nice discussion.

Great hitters kids not having their fathers gifts to make an impact on the major league level.

Remember Pete Rose’s son . . . Pete Jr. played in 1,918 minor league games and had 6,938 ABs. Average was .271; 158 HRs; 1,027 RBIs; stole 36 bases, caught 27 times.

To put it another way: he started in the minors at age 19 and retired in the minors at age 39, and the last 8 years he played in the Atlantic Independent league on bunches on teams. I think he even went to Vero Beach with the Dodgers one Spring, but I might be wrong here.

In the major leagues, he was in 11 games, with 14 ABs and a total of 2 hits. .143 average.

Next season the Dodgers best have 6 or 7 guys that could start.

So far we know of: Kershaw, Beckett, Capuano, and Harang. And Blanton if he stays. Then there is the medical stuff of Lilly and Billingsley. I would not count on all of them being healthy April 1st and starting some 30 games each. Lots of innings on those arms.

There needs to be a decent back up for Adrian Gonzalez at 1B. Maybe that is Juan Rivera or even Van Slyke (another great hitters son). Or, some new player.

Best to have 4 solid outfielders. None of those guys needs to play 162 as a starter; injuries seem to be a part of their game. Thus, a real centerfielder as a fourth guy (and this is not Ethier nor Crawford); Maybe Victorino can be talked into a contract with playing all three positions and rotating in and out —- and then one of the four being the DH when those games come on.

Right now I go with Ramirez at SS for say, the next two years, then a move to 3B. Put me down for the Dee Gordon fan club, because he needs to play somewhere, the Dodgers need that speed.

Good to be back, and will watch the game tonight.

27. el_che says:

nice piece over at bullpen banter on joc pederson .anyone know when we’ll find out if bills needs tj or not ??

28. gionfriddo says:

I’ll tell you who choked like no tomorrow and that was the Baltimore Orioles.. 93 Wins?? who cares!! how about those clutch hitters in the middle of their lineup who caved vs the Bronx Bombers:

Adam Jones– 32 HR, 82 RBI, 103 runs, .839 OPS in reg season
    .077, 2-26 in postseason with 0 rbi

Chris Davis- 33, 85, .827 OPS
    .208, 0 HR, 2 RBI in postseason

Matt Wieters- 23 HR, 83 RBI, .764 OPS
    .125, 0 HR, 0 RBI in postseason

Mark Reynolds- 23 HR, 69 RBI ( NINE HR in September)
    .136, 0 HR, 1 RBI in postseason

Hell, I think you have to start by canning batting coach, Jim Presley, and I don’t care that Showalter said that Presley was instrumental in their teams success.

Next, you have to bring in a slew of specialists– for starters, I believe a performance coach is needed; I’m going to suggest a breathing coach as well because these cats just could not get their breathing tuned in when the chips were down vs NY; lastly, their GM, Dan Duquette, has to realize these young bats need a really good yoga coach to help calm the youngsters nerves.

Well, I think I covered how to fix the choking in the Crab Cake capital of the world. If I missed anything feel free to add to the list…

For those of us who have been around awhile watching and following baseball — we hear (every now and then) of some “super scouts” who find the weakness of (some) hitters. Then, if a team is able to pitch to some of these hitters with the scouting information, and make it work, fans are shocked with a player goes 1 for 12 in the post season with 0 RBIs.

friddo,

In a word, BRILLIANT. Maybe they needed some of those crab cakes.

The reason that badgers are always sociopathically attacking is that they have thin skins. Just like a typical sociopath the best deffense is a good offense so keep on attacking when nobody is attacking you. Pitiful, just pitiful.

Now you are calling me a a sociopath? Do you even know the meaning of the word?

Pitiful is right.

You need some perspective man. I know what would help you – stick your head in the toilet and flush repeatedly. That will clean the crap out from between your ears.

Good bit friddo.

So….. is Pederson trade material or are the Dodgers going to show some patience with him?

Welcome back Roger. Did you catch up on all the choke talk?

Calling an innocent, dumb animal a sociopath. How low can a person sink? Simply defies rational thinking. Pitiful, pathetic.

I feel compelled to hug a badger.

Oh… I thought he was talking to me. Obviously he was talking about badgers. My bad.

Have any of you actually seen a badger do what a badger does? I lived in Wisconsin for 7 years. Saw a few of them. They can fight off bears and run about 20 mph. They are hardly sociopathic, being animals and all, but it does not surprise me that ken does not know that. Animals are instinctive. Human beings are the only ones capable of lacking social conscience.

33. Olga says:

kochuma banastexc, inch mtkin ekela arag arag grela, ba vor im bucatexnutysnner@ grem erevi im mot aveli lav kstacvi, vorhevetev mek mek aynpisi hogevichakum em haytnvum vor grum em heto kardum em zarmanum em, u ink@ der iravunk uni inchvor karcik haitnelu, aistex en asel, vaaaaay mamayis arev!

1. [...] Does Josh Beckett Have Anything Left? Once upon a time, Josh Beckett was one of the best pitchers in all of baseball.  Josh also allegedly likes to party and may also be one of the best  in baseball at it. Does he have anything left in his golden arm?  It would seem to me that since he can’t “throw back as [...]… [...]