Categorized | Press Releases

DODGERS SIGN BRANDON LEAGUE TO THREE-YEAR CONTRACT

Right-hander returns to Los Angeles after being acquired at the 2012 trade deadline

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today announced the signing of free-agent right-handed reliever Brandon League to a three-year contract. The announcement was made by Dodger General Manager Ned Colletti.

“We’re excited to bring back a key member of our bullpen, which was a team strength last season,” said Colletti. “”We were very pleased with what Brandon provided us after we acquired him. He pitched in a couple of different roles including the closer role most of the last month where he was very effective.”

“He gives the club someone who has saved more than 50 games the last two seasons and fortifies our bullpen in a number of ways. It’s imperative that to compete in the NL West teams need a strong bullpen with power arms, experience and depth.”

League has saved 52 games (T-11th, MLB), finished 99 games (9th, MLB) and posted a 2.97 ERA in 139 games in the last two seasons, while compiling a 19-28 record, 60 saves and a 3.60 ERA in 377 appearances in his nine-year Major League career with Toronto (2004-09), Seattle (2010-12) and Los Angeles (2012). Since his first big league season in 2004, League ranks eighth among qualifying Major League relievers with a 74.5 ground ball percentage and has limited opponents to a .248 batting average in his career, including a .222 mark against right-handed hitters

The 29-year-old was originally acquired by the Dodgers at the 2012 trade deadline and proved to be one of the league’s most reliable relievers down the stretch, going 2-1 with six saves and a 2.30 ERA in 28 appearances. League finished the season by tossing scoreless relief in 20 of his last 21 appearances starting Aug. 21 and posted a 0.55 ERA (1 ER/16.1 IP) in 15 appearances in September and October, the sixth-lowest mark in the National League in that span. Overall, he went 2-6 with 15 saves and a 3.13 ERA in 74 games and allowed just one home run in 72.0 combined innings last season with Los Angeles and Seattle.

The Sacramento native was selected as an American League All-Star in 2011, when he posted a 2.79 ERA and ranked third in the AL and tied for fourth on the Mariners’ all-time single-season list with 37 saves. League recorded 14 consecutive saves from May 18-July 4, 2011 and his 88.1 save percentage in 2011 was the sixth highest in Mariners’ history. In his first season with Seattle in 2010, League led AL relievers with a career-high nine wins and ranked among the circuit’s leaders in relief innings pitched (79.0, 2nd) and appearances (70, T-10th).

League attended St. Louis High School in Honolulu, HI, where he was named 2001 Gatorade Hawaii Player of the Year, and was originally selected by the Toronto Blue Jays in the second round (59th overall) of the 2001 First-Year Draft. He resides in Encinitas, CA, with his wife, Sasha, and three children, Skylar, Lexi and Cali.

28 Responses to “DODGERS SIGN BRANDON LEAGUE TO THREE-YEAR CONTRACT”

1. Gonzo says:

3 years 21 million. That sounds about right for this day and age.

If Jansen returns healthy, and Belisario can give us much the same as he did this past year, then the Dodgers should be very strong in the last few innings of games. And I wonder if they will pursue the Japanese Mariano Rivera (can’t remember his name at the moment–but I’m NOT thinking of Otani). Throw in a healthy Elbert, and perhaps Paco Rodriguez and/or Onelki Garcia (all lefthanders), and maybe the Dodgers could wind up with a shutdown bullpen. But there’s a long way to go, and lots can happen. At least I’m encouraged. And I’m sure it doesn’t take much to notice that my plans don’t include Choate and/or Jamie Wright. Of course, I don’t expect the Dodgers to follow my plans, at least not to start the season.

Now let’s add some starting pitching, and hope that the offense delivers.

Other than maybe the third year, no surprise with this signing.

Who will be the starter they target?

4. ken says:

Rumors are that there is a 4th year option for completing 55 games in 2015. Wow, too much money but he really was the #1 priority in my book and solves a potential problem. You would think that a player who lives within 150 miles of the stadium would sign for a little less money with a littel better negotiating from Ned. Ken Howell better be League’s personal pitching coach for the next 3-4 years. What a bullpen the LAD could have next year. Now find a long reliever who can start a few games in case of an injury. Fife? Forget Choate and Wright.

Yes, a #2 starting pitcher is the next obvious quest.

5. Gionfriddo says:

League’s signing is of little surprise.. He was lights out down the stretch.

Peavy’s 2 yr deal with ChiSox (29 mill) bummed me out– he was the one guy (outside of Greinke, Shields, or Price) I was hoping Ned would target..

I’m guessing they go all in for Greinke at the outset of free agency and if rebuffed, they will explore a deal with Tampa.. Billingsley ratcheted it up to 94 mph in his 2 inning simulated game– should ALL pitchers get 2 platelet rich injections in their elbows?? Assuming Bills is a full go for ’13, do they deal Capuano or Harang or both?? Going to be very interesting the next 2 months to watch this unfold..

I think I would keep all the starters around as long as I could. Bills and Lilly don’t fill me with confidence.

Peavy signed? I hadn’t read that – it doesn’t show up on my iPhone. Yeah, he was one I wanted – along with Greinke, Haren, Santana. Can’t have too much pitching.

Anybody see this months S.I.? There is an article about Cabrera and several pictures of him. He looks as fat as Crawford, even fatter. Round face and jowelly. Maybe someone can post it? No wonder he stood there and looked at strike three down the middle. He was exhausted from carrying all that weight around all year.

Using that rationale, Crawford will win the triple crown.

A couple of days ago, I said that League would get $24 to $28 mil over 3 years – I believe he could have gotten that on the open market, so the Dodgers offered $22.5 mil over 3 years and added a 4th at $7.5 to $9 mil if he finishes 55 games in the year before (and a $500,000 bonus possibility each year), so it could really be a 4 year/$34 mil deal.

They ain’t afraid to spend. They aren’t afraid to overpay. The Dodgers motto is “It’s Only Money!”

Found this today:

\”One other piece of information is that I heard the Rays announcers saying they were very surprised to see how much weight/muscle Crawford had gained in the offseason. They thought this might help his power numbers, but wondered how it would impact his running game. Not sure how much weight he had gained but I had not heard anybody else comment on this, but one would have to imagine the Rays announcers are better positioned to make such a comparison. That said, he still looks fast to me and I have seen no evidence of an increase in power, but it\’s only ST.\”

Maybe it\’s not all fat.

He needs to pull a Kemp and slim down. He\’s not a power hitter.

• ken says:

Alpha Lipoic Acid

Lakers Choke. Its the approach stupid. The Lakers have a head coach who knows nothing about offense.

One game and we are already calling the Lakers chokers? What is with the choke fixation ken? The Lakers need some time to gel. And they might need a new coach.

“Mark_Timmons says:
        October 31, 2012 at 5:49 AM

Maybe it\’s not all fat.”

Duh.

btw…. what were we supposed to read in that chat room stuff you posted? Sons of Sam Horn? There were 46 posts from last summer in there. Was something in there that was supposed to be relevant to this conversation? Was there something in there about his injury? There was this: “I heard the Rays announcers saying they were very surprised to see how much weight/muscle Crawford had gained in the offseason.” and yeah, we have already talked about the muscle. But what about all this fat you keep referring to?

Everyone knows Crawford put on weight through that work-out program. Well, maybe not EVERYONE. But anyone who did any research on the subject knows he was a three sport star in high school and weighed 190 then. He is now listed at 215 and the only place anyone is talking about how fat he is is right here in Dodgertalk.

any of you want to try that work-out?

His bio……..

“He needs to pull a Kemp and slim down. He\’s not a power hitter.”

Pull a Kemp? what does that mean? I think we all know Crawford isn’t the slugger Kemp is, but he does have a .career .441 slugging % which isn’t bad. If you add in how many stolen bases he has each year, that slugging % actually goes up a bit doesn’t it.

I’ll ask again, why don’t we just wait and see what Crawford does when he actually gets on the field. I believe he will be anxious to get out there and wear the Dodger uniform. With his work-out routine, I can’t imagine him carrying around any extra weight.

11. Gonzo says:

My two cents about Crawford is that he got to thick from working out. I believe he tried to convert himself into a HR hitter. Some people just can’t develop that HR power regardless of how hard they work out. I also believe that Crawford has been humbled by the game(not that he did anything bad) and will go back to what made him successful in TB, hitting line drives.

I’m not worried about him. What I worry about is the starting rotation. The guy I’d like to be added is Jair Jurrjens. I’ve always been a fan and I know that what he has is a mechanical flaw. When he’s right he’s filthy.

12. Bobbie17 says:

Forget Crawford’s weight. How about his wrist, etc? That’s the real problem. We need a second #1 pitcher. The Giants have 3-4 of them. We need at least 2.

13. Gonzo says:

Rumor has it that the Braves are going to non tender Jurrjens. If he could be had pluck him in the 4th or 5th spot. He will right the ship in a different location.

14. Bball says:

I agree with Bobbie and gonzo. Crawford is not at the status of a Matt kemp. He will not make or break this team also seeing how victorino played I’d take crawfords unknowingness over victorino any day. And on jurrgens I’d would take him and if the starting role don’t work. Maybe turn him into the long reliever. Speaking of long relievers whatever happened to Jeff weaver. I loved him as a long reliever and didn’t think he was to old. I could be wronge though

I am willing to bet right now the Dodgers pitching and hitting stats will be better than the midgets. Will they be a better team?

Soon I will make a prediction about Crawford’s stats. I am pretty good with that. The only ones I really missed on were LaRoche and Choi, and I missed badly on both. Crawford will be a huge improvement in left field.

Going to the movies.

Later…….,

one more thing before I go…… Cloud Atlas…

I have decided that we are going to get James Shields. Or, at least, we are going to go hard after him. It was a sign and trade thing. I saw it in a vision. I have those you know.

17. Nedsucks says:

Trade for David Price. Forget Shields.

Carl Crawford is Andruw Jones. Speed and contact has turned into a wannabe fat power hitter. That doesn’t work. Slim down kemp did it an it worked.

Can speeDEE Gordon learn second?
    Or is he a trade bait for Price?

Kershaw
    Grienke
    Price
    Bills
    Capauno/Lilly

Maybe?

The Giants have 3-4 #1 starters? Really!!!!! Who, I wonder, are they?

I guess Matt Cain could be considered a #1 in some circles. Maybe a 1.5. Lincecum used to be a #1. Did a nice job out of the pen in the postseason. Maybe he’s a closer now. Bumgarner? Vogelsong did some nice work the last couple of years. Is he now a #1? Zito, maybe about a billion years ago. But he did pitch well in the postseason. So maybe he’s now a #1 again. I’m not sure there’s a single #1 in the lot. And the Dodgers certainly have one of those (i.e., a #1).

Cain is a #1. Vogelsong and Bumgarner are both good, but I don’t believe anyone would consider them anything other than 2′s.

The Dodgers have stated they want Shields, the Rsys cannot afford to give raises to all their young stars. Somebody gotta go. The Dodgers can give players and salary relief. If thru really want Shields, they can make it happen. If the Rays want to wait til mid-season, the Dodgers may settle for someone else.

20. voldomer says:

The Pirates declined their option for Rod Barajas. I could see him back in LA as the backup to Ellis, all the more if FedEx goes in a deal to the Rays for a pitcher. He brings some pop off the bench too.

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]