Carl Crawford

I have a few quick observations:

• Carl is a stand up guy – he made no excuses for what had happened in Boston – he took responsibility and is ready to move on.  “If somebody wants to trade you, to get rid of you, it’s time to move on,” Crawford said of accepting the trade to the Dodgers. “Things didn’t go as planned in Boston. I’m happy for a new start. I just didn’t play well enough there, for whatever reason. It just didn’t work. I didn’t do my part.”   I like that a lot!
  • His left wrist is going to be a big issue the rest of his career.  I doubt that he can play more than 140-150 games.  Steve Dilbeck of The LA Times wrote this:

There remains reason for concern. Crawford said wrist pain still flares up from hitting.

“The wrist is OK, it’s just one of those things that flares up from time to time,” he said. “It’s just something I’m probably going to have to watch for the rest of my career.”

The sore wrist and elbow might tempt the Dodgers to give him regular rest this season, particularly given their fondness for right-hander Jerry Hairston Jr. However, Crawford has designs on being a regular.

• Crawford looks to be 20-30 pounds heavy, just like I have been saying.   Look at his belly and face and then look at it in the video at the end from  Boston.  He’s overweight, but I guess it’s understandable with the surgery.
  • I still have serious reservations whether he can be an impact player for the Dodgers.  I hope that he can, but I am not overly optimistic.

48 Responses to “Carl Crawford”

1. Bobbie17 says:

A hitter with a tender wrist? Things that Champions are made of? Expensive, at that!
    What a deal! I wouldn’t put too many of our hopes on Crawford. Will his presence, whatever that is, block the way for someone that CAN play. And I don’t mean Hairston. Van Slyke has to be given a shot at starting in LF. Crawford is the Vernon Wells of the Dodgers. The Angels had the guts to sit him. Will the Dodgers?

• Bobby says:

Actually B17, if the worst case scenario does happen, then you’re 100% accurate; Crawford will be our Vernon Wells

God I hope worst case scenario doesn’t happen though!!

Glad you can tell he’s 20-30 pounds overweight. I imagine he’s not at optimum playing weight, but as you said, that’s understandable given the surgery. Got a feeling that about now Matt Kemp also isn’t at optimum playing weight. But I’m not going to make judgments about playing weight in October. Actually, come to think of it, Pablo Sandoval doesn’t look to be at optimum playing weight either. And for him, 20-30 pounds overweight would probably be an understatement.

Actually Crawford was moving his arms around OK, so I imagine that the rehab really is going well. I’m not optimistic, I’m not pessimistic. I’ll just wait to see what we get when the season starts. I’ll give him a month or two into the season, at least, before I start making judgments.

3. ken says:

Crawford looks 15 pounds overwieght to me. How is the perception of a person’s weight modified when a big guy wears a vest just like a fat guy never was suppossed to wear a tie clip back in the 80s? I have no problem with a position player starting spring training with 10 extra pounds.

In determining weight I look at a person’s gut and neck (not face). In my opinion the neck can tell you alot about a person’s history of weight and endurance issues. Ned should plan on platooning Crawford and Ethier part of the time until they prove that they are able to excel against LHP.

Maybe not an impact player but his 2012 stats still reflect an above average player.

4. the truth hurts says:

a bum wrist is like a soccer player having a bum ankle on his kicking foot….

THIS IS NOT GOOD

5. gionfriddo says:

“Crawford looks to be 20-30 lbs overweight”… really?? I know that fits your ongoing narrative of Crawford being fat and out of shape but once again you are reaching so the story will fit. If Crawford (6’2, 215) was carrying an extra 20-30 lbs it would be painfully obvious for all to see who watched the video @ his introductory presser.

“I’m pretty sure once I start playing, I won’t be forgotten for too long”-Crawford…. Crawford feels like the 3rd wheel of this mega deal and from the looks of it wants to prove that he still has superstar qualities. Time will tell if he’s overweight, if he can’t play 150 games due to a chronic wrist problem, etc.. Once again, I’ll wait (and let the results dictate the narrative) in the hopes that Crawford will prove all the naysayers wrong..

6. Jae says:

He looks to be a good 235 to 240 to me. His face is much fatter tan the video in Boston.

So sorry it doesn’t fit your belief.

Some of you guys crack me up. You can tell a guy is 20-30 pounds overweight when he is wearing three, maybe even four layers of clothing.

I’ll tell you what is painfully obvious to me – Mark, and others, already have their minds made up about this guy. A man chooses to believe what he chooses to be true. You guys choose to believe what you want to believe. Be my guest. It’s impossible to change a mind that is already set in cement.

• Jae says:

You don’t think he looks pretty heavy? Wait, you said he was too much of a fitness guy to be that. It sounds like you have your mind set in cement.

• Max says:

Agreed. We know nothing about Crawford, he looks to be out of shape but has been injured for an epoch. The responsible judgement will be made in spring training and the beginning of the season.

8. RogerCraig says:

AT LEAST 20 pounds. Forget those grumpy old men Mark. I’ m an old man – just not grumpy!
    ;)

OK, I just emailed Ken Gurnick and asked him this:

Ken,

\”Hope all is well with you. Crawford looked pretty heavy on video. It\’s understandable considering surgery but he doesn\’t have the body of a speedster. How heavy does he look in person?\”

Here is his response:

\”Not quite Andruw jones, but I agree he was bigger than I expected.\”

Some of you just feel compelled to disagree. I have no agenda. I am a Dodger fan, but Crawford looks fat. You argued with me two weeks ago about it and now it has been confirmed.

POUND SAND!

If he’s 30 lbs heavier than playing weight, that’s a LOT.

If he’s 15 lbs heavier, thats quite doable for an athlete to fix by April.

More importantly, I”m guessing he’s lost some upper body muscle because of his wrist/elbow surgeries, and he will have to work hard to gain that muscle back, plus lose his fat.

If he really does want to prove he’s not Vernon Wells, then he will be working his butt off for the next 4-5 months, and we’ll know how what kind of player/person he is next year.

For now, it’s all fun to discuss, but let’s discuss this in April when the season starts

Carl Crawford is a guy who will hit .270 with 8 hr, 30 doubles and 22 stolen bases. Not bad, but not close to what he once was.

Jae, I just got through saying I’ll wait until ST to make a judgment on Crawford. To look at a guy in October and determine he is 30 pounds overweight just sounds silly to me. He had surgery and probably isn’t doing his regular routine, which I posted a while back and am sure most ignored. He will be fine come April. Most of you are going to take a lot longer than that.

• Jas says:

Can you say backpedal?

Can you say 1st grade reading level?

“I’ll wait until Spring Training, go down the Glendale myself, and then I’ll know what kind of shape Crawford is in.” Badger – just a few hours ago.

It ain’t that difficult if you know how to read. Maybe that’s asking too much of you Jae.

Nobody knows what kind of shape the guy is in. To look at him standing at a podium and say he is 20-30 pounds overweight just makes whoever says it look like an idiot.

13. gionfriddo says:

Mark, It’s a simple difference of opinion, period. I just talked to my friend in the front office. He spoke to Crawford before and after the presser. He said he’s surprised at how big of a man he is for someone who has that kind of speed. I asked if he appeared overweight up close and he said absolutely not— keep in mind, this is coming from a person who was once a professional athlete and is honest to a fault.. I’ll trust in what he says on the subject and won’t discount Gurnick’s opinion, however like I said, the proof will show only after Crawford is on the field for the Blue in ’13.. pound sand? nah, I’ll wait to see how the Crawford situation unfolds.

That’s what I have been trying to say friddo.

But those who are convinced Crawford “looks fat” will not believe anything else.

And we do have Mark with his “inside” information. And how accurate has that been over the years?

In the past several months I have lost about 20 – 25 pounds. So I now know where it went — to Crawford.

Well, at least the pounds are in the Dodger family.

15. Bobbie17 says:

It’s nice to talk about, but Crawford will be only a small piece of a really big puzzle. Looks who’s playing now. Do you see any “Crawfords” in either starting lineup? Come on! Crawford is a distraction to finding someone who is young, healthy and can play.
    I’ll repeat. He is our Vernon Wells. Do we have a Trumbo or a Trout? Let’s go find him.

16. gionfriddo says:

Nobody has a Trout— the last time ANYBODY had a Trout was when the Yanks had a young stud from Commerce, Oklahoma…

I did not follow the Angels lineup every day during the season — but with Trumbo, Trout, Pujols, and Weaver, Wilson, Haren, Santana, and Greinke for awhile — they did not even make the post season.

But the Dodger will really be under the scope next season with: Kemp, Gonzales, Ethier, Ramirez to start with (so far).

18. Dodgerdog says:

I’ve only seen a picture of Crawford at the press conference so I could be wrong, but I’ve always thought he had a chubby face and I don’t know that we can go by that. Now if his body, which was hidden by his jersey in the photo, looks like Uribe’s that would be bad.

I have been 30 pounds overweight in the past and he looks nothing like I did. Most baseball players are out of shape compared to athletes in other sports so I expect a 34-36 inch waist to be normal for a baseball player who is 6’2″ tall and 31 years old (except for the Gordons of the world). Most of the time you add 1 inch to the waist for every 5 pounds. If Crawford is 30 pounds over playing weight then his waist would be 40-42 inches. Unless he is wearing a girdle under that vest he is not 30 pounds over “playing” weight. I still say he is 15 pounds overweight and has a waist of about 38 inches.

“Fat” is a vague descriptive word and therefore relative to a person’s definition based upon their past body type remembered within their inner self. Therefore everyone looks fat to me and Gordon. :)

I remember reading about a PE teacher in Calif during the early 70′s who was fat at 5-6 and 200 lbs. After she was fired she challenged all of the school board to a race and beat all of them while running a mile in 6 minutes flat.

Being fat is not always an relevant issue.

Fat is measured in body fat content and is very easy to determine – it’s total fat divided by total weight and anyone can have it done at a number of places. The average 30-35 year old male falls between about 12 and 23%. The average athlete falls between 6 and 13%. The average Major League infielder has a body fat content of 9.33%. The average Major League outfielder has a body fat content of 8.36. I would bet that Carl Crawford, because of his intense work-outs, falls below the average outfielder. I have not read what his body fat content is, but I would guess during the season it’s somewhere between 7-8%. Right now, after surgery, it’s no doubt higher than that, but he sure as hell isn’t 30 pounds overweight.

He is not 30 pounds overweight. He might be a few pounds over, but he will have plenty of time to get in playing shape. And yes he does have a round face. Always has.

I agree that we should find studs on their way up. At least now we are bringing in a few who are in their prime. That’s a step in the right direction.

Tigers look like overfed, lazy house cats.

Bad time to go into a team slump.

Football season is in full swing and it’s almost Laker time!

23. gionfriddo says:

Badger, they are a bunch of chokes in my book.. or are the Gigantes clutch? hell, I’m so damn distraught watching this crap I’ve lost track of which end is up..

WAKE UP THE ECHOES

I am proud of the fact I don’t like the gints.

That doesn’t make much sense.

Eh, I think most people outside of Deetroyt and Fan Sancrisco were hoping for a good series. This had been a real snoozer. Who knows, maybe now they are poised for an historical comeback. Or maybe they stay asleep for one more game. Who cares.

Well, a historical comeback would be nice. But really, “who cares”. A short World Series does have one benefit (except for the Tigers), and that’s a faster start to the offseason.

Immediately After World Series – Eligible players become free agents

6th Day After Completion of World Series – First day that Major and Minor League free agents may sign contracts with teams other than their former clubs

12th Day After Completion of World Series – Midnight ET, last date for a player to accept arbitration from former club

25. ken says:

3 years for Leaque? If so, then Ned’s discussion about resigning Choate and Wright had better be leverage and not reality.

Ned should sign League and then not talk about signing any more relievers for 2 months, or at least until a real #2 starter is signed.

Multi years for relievers is risky. Especially ones Jed signs.

Agree with Ken’s sentiment that the re-signing of both “Choate and Wright had better be leverage and not reality.”

That’s more the case if the Dodgers intend to become serious bidders for Kyuji Fujikawa, who I’ve seen described as the Japanese Mariano Rivera.

Also, with Elbert hopefully coming back healthy, and with encouraging reports on Onelki Garcia, and with Paco Rodriguez also in the wings, I wonder why the Dodgers would even consider Choate. And if they were to sign Fujikawa, it would seem that Wright would become superfluous.

The Dodgers had exactly one pitcher throw more than 200 innings last year. If they don’t find a quality starter to go along with Kershaw, they may have the same number with 200 innings next year.

Guys like Wright are extremely valuable to a pitching staff. If not him, then someone like him had better be on this staff.

I say again, give me who we got now healthy all year and we should be fine. Not gonna happen I know, but there are plenty of good arms in our bullpen if they can actually get out there and pitch. If not, then like every other team out there, we will be scrambling to fill those spots.

Colletti has no doubt that Crawford is ready to regain his old form. “He’s still a dynamic player,” Colletti said. “A couple of years ago, he was one of the most sought-after free agents in the game for good reason. People in Tampa saw it a lot. People in the AL East saw it a lot — a combination of abilities not many players have. In this league, the ability to hit and steal, doubles and triples — this is a tough park for home runs sometimes — his ability to create things offensively with speed and ability to hit.”

Guess Jed hasn’t noticed that Crawford has put on 30 pounds of gelatinous charging rhino towers of tapioca.

OK, here is the deal for Crawford:

Think like Badger & Mark . . . take the best of their advice . . .

But eat like Badger . . . I have had a lot of meals with Mark over the years and he eats cows for dinner.

30. Bobbie17 says:

I can’t wait for the start of the off season. Is that the same thing as saying I can’t wait for this season to be over? The Orange and Black up here in the Bay Area is sickening. It will take about a month for it to die down to a livable level. I can’t move. What’s a Bay Area native to do? I guess go on ladodgertalk. Could be worse.

I refuse to answer phone calls from the 415 Area Code. I walk down the street with a bag on my face and I told my brother-in-law that if he says anything I will burn his house down, but I am proud of the Giants… just don\’t come up to me in a dark alley and tell me you are a Giants fan.

1. [...] Carl Crawford In case you missed it, there is a video on the Dodgers site of Carl Crawford talking to the media.  The video is here: http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=la&content_id=25452627 I have a few quick observations: Carl is a stand up guy – he made no excuses for what had happened in Boston – he took responsibility and is ready [...]… [...]