Categorized | David Caldwell

The Truth Hurts

I don’t even know whether to laugh or cry.  Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse:

Victorino-     0-3

Gonzalez-      0-4

Kemp-            0-5

Ramirez-        0-4

Ethier-             0-4

The biggest game of the year and this is our performance?

Not going to win many of these games.  The “offensive juggernaut” went 0-20 tonight.

The players that are SUPPOSED to produce are not producing and the players who are NOT SUPPOSED to produce are sort of producing.

Lincecum walked a batter every inning.  2 runs? 4 hits?

This team is offensively embarrassing.  They are painful to watch.  Agon is gone.  Kemp is not Kemp anymore (LVP-least valuable player).  Hanley is pressing and looks awful.  Ethier, well, I will give him a pass this time.  Victorino sucks.

I tried to be as optimistic as I could that this team would finally “get it”.  Boy was I wrong.  Reality is sinking in and we have been had.  We have been had by a team that does not care as much as we do.   Day in and day out they under perform.

Mark Ellis, AJ Ellis, Luis Cruz- thanks for being professional ball players.

Listen, I support our moves, this is not about that.

This is about the passion to play baseball and it looks like our team has none whatsoever.

Does this fall on Don Mattingly and the coaching staff?  I think so.

You can’t “teach” these guys to hit, BUT you can motivate and push them.  Push them to want to reach new heights and achieve something they have never achieved before.  Make them realize they are wearing Dodger blue and that they represent everything this great organization represents.  Where is the Dodger pride on this team?

I want Dodgers that show up to San Francisco when a pennant is on the line.  Not Dodgers that roll over and enjoy getting steamrolled.

This team deserved a kick in the ass and I am glad they got one.

Maybe next year.

39 Responses to “The Truth Hurts”

what a waste of time that was to watch.

thank god at least we have college football to watch tomorrow instead of this nationally televised nonsense

2. mica says:

Great write-up. This team is done. Put a fork in em. Kemp is now the groundball and called third-strike king. I’m tired of his thinly-veiled no excuse, excuses. The dude lost his mojo…his chi…his lifesource.

On the bright side, this is a great sports weekend and we can forget this pathetic, moribund, rotting carcass of a team. They are a bloated whale carcass floating and drifting aimlessly while being slowly devoured by any opportunistic parasite.

3. Note says:

You can’t help but get the feeling they don’t care, they do but the offense is downright embarrassing and middle relief is worse. Severely underachieving nicely written

4. Rob says:

I am truly depressed, I can’t wait for the season to end. I have spent countless hours watching this team, only missing a few games and I feel like I care more then they do. I don’t know the solution but it has to start at the top with Donnie boy. I couldn’t beleive timmy “let’s walk everyone” lincecum shut down our so called powerful line up. I need a drink but unfortunately I am at work. Here’s to next year and a new manager!!

I can’t add anything.

6. RogerCraig says:

Mark said that money doesn’t buy anything. I think I agree.

7. Bball says:

Wow everything in here today is deep and I second everyone especially rob. I live for this team and am too very depressed as I wake up this morning. I call for caps to throw at everyone of the giants hitters until there is a massive brawl. Who’s with me

8. Bball says:

That being said I just seen the cardinals lost so were still in a race for a wild card spot. I don’t no what to think. Do I stay optimistic, I don’t no. I can’t give up. I don’t like or watch any other sport. I have to hold onto hope. Please wake up dodgers I need u

• Rob says:

I’m with you bball, NEVER give up hope! Hopefully our message will find its way to the players because they appear to have lost that killer instinct.

9. Bobbie17 says:

To all you former optimists: I told you so. Money can’t buy squat.

It ain’t over til it’s over.

0 for 20 in one of the biggest games of the year. I hope those guys are looking at themselves in the mirror today. It’s gut check time. How they respond the rest of the way is going to tell us if they have any pride.

Of course I still have faith. It’s the Marine in me. You don’t quit. You keep hammering away until that which opposes you gives.

B17, cut out that “I told you so” stuff. It doesn’t fly among the adults in this forum, and is an indication that you’re just too full of yourself. Money doesn’t buy everything, but in major professional sports, it’s a large part of the equation. Top talent costs money. With McCourt we had no money, and where did that get us? But I guess we would be better with Loney at first, Rivera in left and Herrera at third. And it’s not just the new guys. Kemp has been absent (literally and figuratively) since getting hurt in May. And lost for the season are Billingsley and Jansen. And in the case of the latter, it’s cost the Dodgers a number of games because the bullpen is suddenly very thin.

Maybe it won’t kick in this year. But I feel better about next year knowing that we have Adrian Gonzalez, Hanley Ramirez and probably Carl Crawford in our lineup. And I look forward to the return of Dee Gordon (see, I like younger players also). I also look forward to a healed and healthy Matt Kemp, who I think will use the winter to not only recuperate, but to figure out where he went wrong in his approach after returning. And all those ground balls that Kemp is hitting, are probably the result of something I noticed a long time ago. When Matt Kemp starts to consciously pull the ball, he tends to swing too hard, and hit the top of the ball. It results in lots of ground balls to 3B and short. He needs to go back to the approach that is his strength, going up the middle and to right field. And he’s also over-anxious at the plate, and doing what used to get him in trouble in the past, i.e., chasing, fishing, or whatever you want to call it.

Hanley Ramirez is clearly pressing, and trying to do too much. He’s swinging at pitches out of zone and taking pitches in the zone. He’s a little mixed up right now, but that too shall pass (but maybe not soon enough). And Gonzalez has too strong a track record to think that he won’t find it. When I don’t know, but I am confident that he will.

And I don’t think any of this has anything to do about character. These guys are just in a funk, and no matter how hard they try, performance is not something they can just turn on and off at will. In fact, it may be about caring too much, and trying too hard to find answers, when what they probably need to do is just relax and go out and play.

This is certainly not a time to give up. It doesn’t look good, and it may not turn around in the little time that remains. But there are times when things like this turn on a dime. I still remember the 2006 Dodgers losing something like 15 of 16 before the All-Star break in 2006, and following it up by winning 18 of 19 after the break. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. You’re never as bad as you look when you’re at your worst, and never as good as you look when you’re at your best.

12. SpokaneBob says:

As usual your right Brooklyn….It’s just depressing to see us outplayed so badly. I never give up until the numbers say it is impossible. If and when that happens I will look forward to next year and seeing what the new owners will do over the winter to make us better.

13. SpokaneBob says:

Your right about the bridge Badger. It was the peoples money, not the governments.

• Ken says:

Don’t try to turn a Badger into a Honey Badger. :)

The government works FOR the people Bob. Always has. They are our “servants”. How do you think they get paid? It’s OUR money. From local, to regional, to national, it’s ALL the people’s money.

14. emerson-Lake says:

You go Dave!

Where is the discipline?
    Where is the intelligence?
    Where is the rhythm?
    Where is the patience?
    Where is the teamwork?
    Where is the bang for the buck?
    Where is the MLB caliber playing?

It takes more than money to buy a championship.

I’ll elaborate tomorrow.

Hint: I’m not saying I would not have made the same trades, but there’s more.

Money can’t buy anything of value… real value. It takes more than that.

“It takes more than money to buy a championship.

I’ll elaborate tomorrow”

I’ll elaborate today.

The money needs to be used wisely and with discipline. The money needs to be spent building a foundation as well as competitive balance on the field. The money needs to be spent on players in their prime, who are capable of putting up positive WAR’s in the NL West.

It takes money to do these things, especially re-do them, which is what the Dodgers are doing after the McCourt fiasco. It might take a while. The first thing you have to do when you find yourself in a hole is STOP DIGGING! I believe the Dodgers have done just that, and have actually already begun rebuilding the foundation. It’s going to take many months to get that job done. The ML team already looks CONSIDERABLY better. Now the guys just need to calm down, relax a bit, and do what it is they are paid to do.

It’s not a bad thing to have money. No matter what the boss here says (and he is at the top of the pyramid and you know how those guys like to dictate policy) don’t buy into it. What we need to do is watch how this money is being spent, and write letters to our……. team president….. when we see the money is being wasted.

So far, I don’t see that. We have a landed a veteran lead-off presence and have added a quality SP, a clean-up hitter, and All Stars at LF and SS (3B) I say, good on ya Jed. You gave up too much, but, we have learned to accept that about you.

It’s going to be ok folks. Just have patience. We have the right people in place now.

17. Rob says:

Here we go again, agon turned into ground ball loney.

more garbage swings by our all stars.

this is past embarrassing now.

19. Rob says:

I hope caps can pitch a complete game because I wouldn’t trust the pen.

20. Rob says:

So if kemp is hurt what is gonzalez’s excuse for looking like uribe?

21. Bball says:

Maybe he has the pujos syndrome.

Adrian comes through. Then Ramirez comes through. Then Ramirez makes a stupid play. Brilliant if you make it, bonehead if you don’t.

The Southern League has announced that Lookouts Head Groundskeeper Joe Fitzgerald has been named 2012 Southern League Groundskeeper of the Year, as selected by the league’s field managers and umpires. Fitzgerald graduated from the University of Minnesota-Crookston with a degree in Golf Facilities and Turf Systems Management. – BEST Dodger news that I have heard this week. :)

If Hanley continues to double clutch on almost every throw, then he will be forced to move to 3B

Ned sucks – Where is Gwynn and why is Angle still on the roster?

Why try to steal against an All-Star catcher if you do NOT have more than a 3 step lead?

About time that Kemp is benched. Too many physical and emotional? injuries. Bet he is really happy in the last month learning that Rihanna used him to TRY to get over Chris Brown and she still wants Brown.

Lyons says that Beckett admitted that his shoulder was shot and that if he had surgery he would be done. Another Schmidt in waiting?

RISP 1-5 needed the extra base hits today.

PS Winning!

I think I know the play you are referring to Ken. Panda’s double play ball. Why didn’t he throw it. The Tuba was about half way down the line when he got the ball.

Dodgers trying to run themselves into a loss today. But, fortunately, we get the W. That’s 1.

“Lyons said”…… I stopped reading after that. I don’t want to know.

24. Gonzo says:

Man, I’m sorry but talk about being fickle. Many here are now anointing Bills as the next great thing and the season is lost without him. It is also almost the same ones that wanted him gone a few months ago.

McCourt never spends money, I wish we had an owner tht would turn us into a juggernaut. Now that what everybody wished for came through many are griing that Guggs is doing what wehave been dreaming about for YEARS, they are being criticized for the trade and all the money that has been spent.

While it is fun to play GM and through around a trade or two as wacky as it may be, IT IS NOT YOUR MONEY. Give it a rest and be thankful that we are not KC, CLE,and yes I’ll say it Tampa. Everybody in tampa is a genius because they have a good scouting department some say. Well, I say that having a top ten pick for all but 4 or 5 years of their existence had a lot more to do with them being successful now. But what will happen in the next 3-5 years Marlins 2.0. They don’t have a strong fan base and probably never will.

Please people look at the bigger picture and if it helps any I apologize for the Dodgers making such a trade to try and compete this year, and become a powerhouse in the future. Enjoy the ride. Many fans wish they were in this position to root for a team with deep pockets and a very very successful baseball man like Kasten that history shows when to pull the trigger on a trade and/or give out a big contract but most importantly, he knows how to build an organization from the minors to the major league team.

Gonzo out

only half a game behind StL

amazing

26. Bball says:

Ya bobby it is and that just shows you that were not alone. If other teams have blogs like this one they are in the same boat we are and very frustrated. Imagine being a pirates fan. Now that’s tough. I’d like to see there posts

27. Rob says:

Looks like Kennedy is done for the season, here comes Gwynn.

1. [...] Rockie delivered a two-run single in the seventh inning to lead the Giants to more… The Truth Hurts – ladodgertalk.com 09/08/2012 I don’t even know whether to laugh or cry.  Just when you [...]

2. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]