Categorized | David Caldwell

The spark that lit the flame

Hold on tight boys!

This is going to be one fun ride!

Did any of you think the bums would acquire Agon, Hanley, Victorino and Beckett without a major speed bump?  It HAD to happen.

The overly optimistic David Caldwell is back!

Listen, September is here, we are currently undefeated in this month….these guys know what is at stake.  The walk off WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER is going to spark a rotting Dodger ball club.  I GAURANTEE IT!!!!!!

The fact that Victorino scored the winning run intensifies the walk off.  I completely agree with Mark:

“I believe that Shane Victorino is a leader and the team senses his disappointment.  “If it happens to him, it can happen to me” some might think.”  At any rate, it is messing with their heads.  They just need to know that we are here, right now and we have a chance to win it all.  Forget the future – let’s win now!  Easy for me to say.  Hard for them to do.  You say “but they are professionals.”  I say “but they are humans.”

Maybe this changes Shane’s mentality.  He needs to know he is “involved” and “wanted”.

• Also, Agon breaks his slump with the walk off hit, this is HUGE!

By the way, Matt Kemp went yard.  Is he back on PED’s?  Come on guys!

My argument is way out of line right now considering how we have been playing lately, BUT to see the moves this team made without expecting a huge stumble is idiotic!

Many of us realize that baseball is a game of highs and lows. All it takes is a “spark” to get the ball rolling.

Blanton gets the nod tomorrow coming off his first win as a Dodger, make it two my friend!

I can’t even think about next year because I am so caught up in THIS year.  I want the World Series ring and I want it right now.

On the Dee Gordon situation- I am not sold on him and think the value for his potential can be a great bargaining chip. Maybe a package deal for David Wright and RA Dickey?

Do you believe?

11 Responses to “The spark that lit the flame”

And the midgets just keep on winning. They don’t seem to care that we have a better lineup on paper than they do.

OK, one in a row. It’s a good win streak. Let’s keep it going.

Glad that Abreu is back but is Withrow really hurt?

9 guys on the 60 day DL. Bad job by Ned signing players, bad trainers, or bad luck?

Was it Kemp’s right knee that is hurt? If so he will not have much power for a while.

There is no place for Victorino in LA after Memorial Day 2013.

Will the Dodger scouts do their job scouting Padre pitchers or will no-names shutout the Dodgers again?

You mean no-names like Clayton Richard and Edinson Volquez?

They do have some new guys there, and you don’t have to be a scout to know that San Diego has some pretty good pitching. And they had been playing very well up til the last two games. Hopefully they have cooled off. And, hopefully, Arizona can win the series in San Francisco.

Bad luck. I don’t blame Jed for things like what happened to Bills, Jansen and Gordon. I do blame him for signing Jason Schmidt. That was just dumb.

3. Rob says:

We wil thrive with all of the new members in the lineup. We just needed that one moment where every player feels like they are part of the big picture and not the part of the big picture. The pressure should subside and the bats will fly free with power. No more pressing just solid at bats. This game can make you shake your head sometimes with all of the talent under performing but this is the trigger this team needed!

“Gordon is hitting .143 at Albu. He only has 2 strike-outs (and one BB) in 23 at bats, so, he is putting the ball in play. With that speed, if he is putting the ball in play, he should hit .250 easy. Something is just not right with that kid. I don’t know what it is, but if he can’t get on base he is of no use to the Dodgers.”

Gordon had 3 hits yesterday. Hitting .240. What a difference a day can make. And it’s true, something wasn’t right with the kid. He dislocated his thumb, something you hold the bat with. I also believe it involved a fracture as well. I can guarantee you that it’s probably still sore, and not 100%. It’ll probably take the winter, and continued rehab to get it completely right, with full range of motion. And it’s the reason why I said earlier that I agreed with Mattingly that he should not reclaim his starting job now. That’s needs to be put off until the spring and the beginning of next season.

Trading Gordon would be a huge mistake. The Dodgers would be selling low on a player who is going to be worth a whole lot more in the not too distant future. Again, his speed together with Crawford will give the Dodgers a huge weapon leading off games, and hitting in front of the power of Kemp, Gonzalez, Ramirez and Ethier. In fact, with Kemp following Gordon and Crawford, the speed at the top of the Dodgers lineup will be awesome. And a little deeper in the lineup will be Ramirez’s speed. Speed and power, a wonderful combination.

And we saw the value of speed yesterday. Anybody think that Juan Rivera would have scored from first on Gonzalez’s double? That’s another reason why the Dodgers should at least make an attempt to sign Victorino after this season. Victorino’s market is not likely to be huge after a down season, and though unlikely, he might be willing to return to LA with the knowledge that he’ll at least get regular playing time filling in at all three outfield spots. Maybe ownership would be willing to pay him more than the typical 4th outfielder as insurance against injury, etc. Maybe.

Good point Brooklyn. I had a thumb sprain that lasted a full season of football. Thumb injuries are problematic. And I agree about trading him. As you know, I don’t want to do it. .350 OBP. Just get on base kid.

Victorino is our own catch-22. We need him to play well the rest of the way, but if he does, he likely won’t be back. Crawford is our starting LFer next year. I really doubt Victorino would settle on a back-up role.

I think Rob is right. This lineup is a good one, and will thrive. It often takes a little time for teams to gel. Gonzalez is obviously a better hitter than he has shown, Kemp is a beast, Ethier will do what he always does and Ramirez looks like he is getting his mojo back. Add Crawford and Gordon at the top of that lineup, with the pitching we usually have – we have to be NL favorites. It’s not all together yet, but next year should be really exciting.

If Gordon can come back this year, what does Mattingly do with him? Is it fair to take Cruz or Ellis out of the lineup? Is it wise?

One other thing about signing Victorino. We really don’t know when Crawford will return. It could be April, it could be June. If it’s the latter, the Dodgers will need someone to play LF everyday until Crawford returns. I’d rather that be somebody like Victorino than, let’s say, Tony Gwynn. All the more reason to find a way to sign Victorino to a deal that he could accept, given that over the long term of the deal he would not be a regular, but perhaps a semi-regular. No doubt that Crawford, Kemp and Ethier would be a lot better off if they could take a day or so off every once in a while. Again, I don’t know if such a deal would sit well with Victorino. A lot will depend on what he is offered elsewhere. I just don’t think signing him is completely out of the question for the Dodgers.

Oh I agree, and have posed the question regarding this issue. But honestly, if you were him, what would you do? I hate to say it, but a great spot for him to land would be in San Francisco. Or, he may just go back home to Philadelphia. If it were me, I wouldn’t want to play second fiddle when first fiddle is available somewhere else. The back-up outfielder to Crawford, Kemp and Ethier isn’t going to play many games.

Crawford could be available for Opening Day, but more likely will miss only a few weeks.

Badger, if Gordon does come back this year (3 hits yesterday tell me that he will) I don’t think it would be wise for him to replace either Cruz or Ellis at this time. I still think he needs time to fully recover from his injury. However, I can see him as being a valuable piece off the bench given his game changing speed. And you never know, maybe he would surprise and get hot with the bat, and work his way into the lineup, at least on a semi-regular basis.

I don’t disagree with you that Victorino will go elsewhere next year if he finishes off this year strongly. However, I don’t rule out that he could still return, depending of course, on what his wider market value is this offseason. Maybe the Dodgers ownership is willing to pay a premium for a 4th outfielder if they think he can make a significant contribution. Just the possibility that he might be needed to fill-in for Crawford during the first few months next year might be reason enough for the Dodgers to pay that premium. It also depends on the alternatives available. Is there another worthwhile free agent outfielder available? Will Alfredo Silverio be healthy and ready for prime time next year? What other possibilities am I not thinking of at this time?

I agree. I don’t bench Ellis or Cruz. But I do get Gordon some innings. Hanley can play a few at third, Cruz can play anywhere and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gordon play a little second base. It’s a good problem for Donnie to have.

There will be some temporary outfield options that present themselves in Spring Training. I am not the least bit concerned about a couple of weeks of … whoever… out in left field. Gwynn can play there as far as I am concerned.