My way

Now that Jon Weisman has went on waivers and somewhat suspended his blog, I believe that this blog may be the longest running LA Dodger Blog on the Web.  Jon and I were very similar in writing styles… well, we both wrote in English, but the similarity ended there.  Jon was (IS) a real writer – I’m a hack.  Jon was Duke Snider and Sandy Koufax.  I was Ron Fairley and Claude Osteen.  Jon pitched a gem every time out.  I got lucky now and then.  I’ll miss Jon (he’s as great in person as he is in his writing), but I could feel his pain as he tried to write his blog this year.  It’s the same pain I have felt for a while.

I have decided that I am not going to have additional writers on this blog.  This blog is an extension of me.  David Caldwell and Justin Gunsaulus did a good job and I appreciate their help, but this is on me.  Like Jon, I am tired.  I have other things to do.  I tried to quit a couple of times before, but didn’t, out of a sense of obligation or gross stupidity.  I’m not sure which…

Here’s the problem – I love the Dodgers – It’s a 50-year habit that I can’t kick.

But, I am not going on waivers.  However, I’m going to become a pinch hitter.  I won’t be in there every game, but I’ll show up every now and again, as the spirit moves me.  I make no promises as to how much I will post, but the comment threads will be open and you all can have at it.  We have a diverse and interesting community here with readers that number 500 times the ones that post.

I’ll be back… maybe tomorrow or next week.  Carry on…

10 Responses to “My way”

1. Bball says:

Stop it mark. Are you saying this just cause your disappointed in this team. You’ll be back when they are winning. Who knows when that will be

Bball,

I\’ll admit that this team really makes me ill, but it\’s deeper than that. I\’ve done it a long time. Got up early and posted every day. I\’m just tired.

I\’m not quitting, but you are probably right – if they do good, I\’ll post more.

I already have another post planned to talk about the prospects of winning.

Here\’s the thing. If I only post a few times, the content will improve. That hard drive between my ears only holds so much.

4. Bball says:

Ya you make sense. I’ll ask this though. DONT STOP. It feels so liberating talking to dodgers fans. And not just the ones who say oh ya I like the dodgers. You no what I mean. No matter how bad things are we’re all still here. Great dodgers fans in this site. My wife gets mad at me cause I’m always on this site. I tell her babe these are my kind of people. Keep it goin mark even of its twice a week. Appreciate what you do

Looking at the Dodger lineup now, only three of the eight fielding players were there last year: Ethier, Kemp, and A.J Ellis (and he is really a new starter).

But the other additions: A-Gonz, Ellis, Hanley, Curz, and Victorino — were the speed, power, gold gloves, veterans that would lead this team to the promised land.

But some quick-sand got in the way. And the 2nd wild card is slip, slip, slipping away.

Dodger starting pitching is a nightmare. Lilly – out for the season, Billingsley out for the season, Kershaw out for the season or should be, Harang just average, and Capuano has an about even record now on his way to Mark’s 20 wins.

Coffey, out. Hawkswroth, out. Guerra, out, Withrow, out, Elbert, out.

Matt Kemp was great, stopped for half the season on the DL, and now is a shadow of himself.

So if this is what is in store for next season — a major overhall needs to be done.

Not just a new hitting coach. Heck, Gonzalez, Ramiez, Ethier, Kemp, Victorino all know how to play baseball. They either have it or day do not.

So the key guy next season is Carl Crawford??? He can pull it all together!

This is not negative talk here. In August they were .500, 14 & 14.

In July they were .500 again at 13 & 13.

So far in August they are 7 & 9 up till game time tonight.

So for two-and-one-half-months — that kind of play does not deserve post season play.

And 12 games to go . . . with being most likely 3 down to the Cards for the last slot.

But hey, on paper and in the salary column, the Dodgers are looking great!!!

By the by, where is Badger? Or did I miss something being away for 17 days . . .

7. Bball says:

He went on vaca rodger

8. ken says:

Congrats to the Nationals on finally making the playoffs.

dodgers lose the series by losing to the Nats’ #2 & #3 starters
    and bearly beating a combination of their #6, #7 & #9 starters.

You know the season is over when the dodgers fall behind the Brewers, who traded away Greinke for a 22 yr old SS and who have only 6 starting position players hitting over .300 during the last month. :)

Time for a new batting coach. How about signing Cruz’s dad as a special assistant?

9. jerry says:

i dont believe in the 3 4 5 6 hitting order..that is the problem they are all the long ball hitter.s. so we need some small ball inbetween, cruz should be hitting in the 5 spot. ellis is doing ok in the lead off spot..but no one hits him in..fly ball to left..fly ball to center..no base hits.other team get a hit ..they move them over ..and they score a run.. we have to many high paid play who dont give a shit.it a team game..if they had to earn a pay chech bye how they preformed..it would be a different story

10. JOSEPH OLIVAS says:

VERY VERY SAD IM VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THESE DODGERS OUR SEASON IS OVER AND THE PLAYERS NEVER CAME TOGETHER AS ONE…I FEEL I WASTED SO MUCH TIME WATCHING AND EXCITED AND ALWAYS BRAGGING ABOUT MY DODGERS TO JUST LEAVE BIG LOSERS. I WOULD STAY UP LATE TO FINISH MY COLLEGE WORK BECAUSE I WOULD WATCH THE DODGERS, I WOULD PUT OFF IMPORTANT THINGS BECAUSE I WAS OFF CHECKING DODGER SCORES READING DODGER BLOGS OR CHECKING WHAT WAS GOING ON WITH THEM OR EVEN WATCHING GAMES, IT WAS ALL FOR NOTHING I SPENT PROBABLY $5000 THIS YEAR ON GAMES AND MERCHANDISE ONE THING THAT WAS GREAT WAS THE BOBBLE HEADS I GOT TWO OF EVERYONE OF THEM! BUT I AM NOW LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT SEASON & ITS TIME 2 START CHEERING FOR THE LAKERS! AT LEAST I CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON THE LAKERS TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS & EVEN WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP! #SF STILL SUCKS!