My Apology to AJ Ellis

I grudgingly accepted AJ Ellis as the Dodgers catcher this year.  I hoped that he could hit .240 but thought that was highly optimistic.  I was not a true believer in AJ Ellis.  I was stupid!

Flashback

In 2004, even though he was 23, he was the backup catcher at Vero Beach (A-Ball), and the starting catcher was 21.   That catcher was one Russell Martin who went on to become the Rookie of the Year in 2006 and an All-Star for the next two years.   However in 2009, Russell Martin started an inexplicable decent into the abyss of hitting, and in consecutive years hit .250, .248, , 237 and finally is hitting .195 this season.

My, how the mighty have fallen!  AJ Ellis Kept on playing… and learning.  That part is obvious.  AJ Ellis got a little better every year.  He started in the Sally league where he failed to get a hit in 7 AB’s in 2003.  In 2004, he hit .219 at Vero Beach.  The next year he only played 57 games and hit .256 at Vero.  In 2006, he moved to AA Jacksonville and hit.250, so he was back again in 2007 and he hit .269.  In 2008 and 2009, he hit .321 and .314 in the PCL and was back there in 2010 where he only hit .262.  In 2011, he hit .304 with a .467 OB%, but in 9 minor league seasons he only hit 19 HR in 2119 AB’s.  That’s a HR every 112 AB’s!

He had a cup of coffee in every year since 2008 with the Dodgers.  In 4 years he accumulated a little over 40o Ab’s.  So, when it became apparent that he would become the starting catcher this season, I YAWNED!  After all, he was 31 and obviously a career backup.  Here’s the deal:  we don’t all learn the same way or at the same rate.  However, AJ Ellis has learned.  Has he ever?  I like to think it’s not how you start out – it’s how you end up.

AJ Ellis is hitting .281 with a .384 OB% and hs 11 HR in 349 AB’s.  That’s a HR every 31 AB’s compared to a HR every 112 AB’s in the minors.  He is also throwing out over 36% of runners attempting to steal.  AJ Ellis has learned.    Boy, has he learned.  If anyone ever says anything bad about AJ Ellis, I will personally hit them in the mouth.

After all, you could still have Russell Martin.

I am sorry for doubting you, AJ.  Your work ethic is legendary and you are one of the genuine good guys.  Good luck to you.

AJ Ellis hit another walkoff hit to win the game last night.

AJ Ellis is my favorite player because he Never, Never, Never Quit!

The Dodgers are unbowed and unbeaten in September.  These may be Destiny’s Dodgers.

Are They?

51 Responses to “My Apology to AJ Ellis”

1. Pandra says:

I remember that cover very well. Still have it in my collectable sports magazines.

Very well could destiny. If we get a wild card, so be it. I’ll take it. We play better on the road lately, so who knows.

Great blog Mark. I’ve been reading it since opening day. Always a good read with lots of good observations and predictions.

After the last two McCourt years, the baseball gods may remember us and give us the breaks we need. What a year, so many ups and downs…..

2. mica says:

Matt Kemp with risp? He is not the same player as he was in April, quite frankly. Is he pouting? I swear he looks like he’s pouting. Tonight, during the celebration for AJ, Either, Hanley and Punto were the first on the scene to congratulate AJ. Kemp was one of last and gave him a small hug. Usually, kemp is a god dam maniac tackling people to the ground. Maybe he feels like he isn’t the “star” anymore. I don’t know. He just isn’t the same. Long live the “shredder punto”

Destiny’s Dodgers. What some of you may not realize is, when Mark uses that term, history says their destiny is to go home early.

I sure hope history does not repeat itself.

So far, AJ is way ahead of my predictions for him.

What about Softie. Got any love for him?

I think maybe some character is being developed here.

Hear you about Kemp mica. Something just doesn’t look quite right.

4. Rob says:

I hope we can see what this team can do when every stud on the team finds their groove. We are winning with only 2 or three players having good games. I would be perfect if that started in SF.

5. the truth hurts says:

Kemp is no longer the star of the team and he is playing like it.

I really hope it’s his pride that’s hurt and not something else…..because he can get over that….some other things, you can’t

This new collection of players has yet to catch fire. They are just squeeking bye the last three games. I still have hope that they will all start clicking at the same time. We should get 4 in a row today with Kershaw on the bump going against our old pal Stults. Go Blue

San Diego has been playing well of late. They are 6-4 in their last 10 and that’s after losing three in a row. These division teams certainly are not going to lay down for the Dodgers. In fact, beating L.A. seems to be a theme everywhere. Kinda makes their day.

Matt Kemp is still not right. I wonder if there are some lingering leg issues that hinder his swing. Running full speed face first into a wall couldn’t have helped his nueromuscalar connective axon terminals at the basal lamina. I hate it when those get shorted out. Last time that happened to me I was peeing all over the walls in the bathroom.

• the truth hurts says:

badger, lol, really???

“nueromuscalar connective axon terminals at the basal lamina”

dummy down for me just a tad!

7. SpokaneBob says:

TMI Badger.

8. SpokaneBob says:

Every team has their runs, both good and bad. Let hope we are on the edge of a good one and that the giants September is less than great. They are due for some bad luck.

As far as the Hanley to third debate goes, I think Mark may be selling Hanley short. I think there is a chance that when Hanley gets to know Dee and how he can play, Hanley may suggest the move himself. I think Hanley likes it here and wants to win. I love Cruz and think he would make an excellent utility guy, but we will be a better team with Gordon and Crawford in the same line up. Just my take.

You make a good point, but I don’t know how accurate it might be. Hanley Ramirez, by most accounts, likes himself very very much. He is still young enough to look in the mirror and say “you’re good enough, you’re fast enough and doggone it, people LIKE you as a shortstop! This kid … what’s his name Gee Dordon? He’s small time, minor league stuff. He can wait.”

“but we will be a better team with Gordon and Crawford in the same line up. Just my take.”

Good take Bob. MOST in here agree with that. I know I do.

When you talk about Dee Gordon, are you talking about the Dee that is hitting .220something or the guy you think can hit .300? Are you talking about the Dee who has 27 errors in the equivalent of 2/3 of a major league season or a potential gold glover?

Which one are you referring to?

Two Dee Gordons? Methinks you over analyze. There is only one Dee Gordon. Well, there may be another Dee Gordon somewhere out there, and I suspect there likely is, but the one we are talking about was the starting shortstop for the Los Angeles Dodgers at the beginning of the yea. ‘emember him? or does that go too far back?

10. Bobbie17 says:

Dee Gordon is a non-issue at this point. There is no place to put him, not even the bench. Next Spring he can try to make the team. If he makes the team in any way, the team is pretty bad. He is fast–that’s it.

I was very glad to hear last off season that he had been named the starting catcher. Ellis is usually great!

The Dodgers are too streaky a team to make predictions or make a $5 bet. They could finish anywhere from out of the playoffs to winning the World Series. The coaches and players need to identify when each person’s streak is happening (7 days :)), what is causing the streak (good or bad), and how to stay in (Respect The Zone) a good streak.

During a different celebration, than the one that Mica speaks about, Kemp was seen clapping but his eyes did not have a celebratory look in them. Something is wrong. How bad does his body hurt? Is something going on in his head? Before the delusional object to my analysis please explain to me the training that you have had in micro-expressions.

My impression of Gonzalez’ reaction to his game winning hit was that he did not like the celebration. My observation of his reaction last night was one of joyful participation. Even League was going wild. So maybe some “chemistry” needs to continue to develop and some personalities need to change. After those changes maybe they will all relax and start hitting. Changes need to be made but I am unsure whether the present coaches know what to do.

Great point Mark! The only current relevant facts are the current season stats after an extended off season to forget everything. Loney sure forgets everything every off season! As the income tax people say “Each year stands on its own”. A player can continue to develop like Cruz, Blake, Delgado or go down to the abysss like Martin. There are no certainties in this game, thus the stupidity of 10 year contracts.

Badger – Try a differrent biochemical cascade

Ken…..

“The only current relevant facts” -

really? You know all the relevant facts because of what you read on a stat sheet? The only relevant facts are what you think you see looking at this year’s stat sheet? Glad you are not the manager, or GM, of this organization.

“As the income tax people say “Each year stands on its own”.

And you know this how? While the premise may be true, the IRS strings years together. Believe me, I KNOW this fact. With that in mind, why aren’t you willing to allow Gordon to string a few years together? Tell you what, more on that later.

I am still old enough to use my eyes, but young enough to read the stats.

This from February of this year:

Number One Prospect

Fastest Baserunner, Best hitter for average, Best athlete, and Best defensive infielder

Gordon has only been in the Dodger system for 2 1/2 years but he has already garnered many awards:

2009 All-Star SS in the MidWest League
    2009 MidWest League Prospect of the Year
    2009 Co-MVP in the MidWest League
    2009 Topps MWL player of the year
    2010 All-Star SS in the Southern League

(also hit .333 with a .373 OBP @ AAA, 51 runs, 30 SB in 70 games)

Then of course there is this:

Baseball HQ has two scouts, the one who wrote up the Dodgers made him the number one prospect. However, the other scout had this to say about Dee Gordon:

“To be blunt, I think he’s one of the most overhyped prospects of recent memory. I don’t see him hitting for BA or power and I also am not a fan of his defense. Outside of speed/athleticism, I’m not impressed.”

That’s one scout. TrueBlue LA don’t think a whole lot of either, but what does he know? Another nerd with access to writing a blog.

I chose this particular article because it tells both his negative and his positive characteristics. I still contend that a player of his potential needs a whole lot more than 500 at bats to see what he can do. And I contend that 70 runs, 54 steals and a .261 avg. at the big league level, for a kid than hasn’t played organized ball very long, is impressive. You say throw him out. I say give him a chance. Maybe that’s just another example of how we look at things. I lean forward. You….. not so much.

As for your suggestion, I am sure there must be a connection between a biochemical cascade and neuro-muscular function, but I can’t make it. Maybe you can post the abstract.

I say give the young man a chance to prove his worth. Send him to winter league, send him to fielding boot camp, get him some one on one with other ML talents that had similar skills. Why not? You already have 4 1/2 years with the guy. He put up some impressive minor league numbers. You named him starting SS at the beginning of the year.

But Ken says…. there is this one year. There are this year’s 300 at bats. You want to get rid of him because of these 300 at bats. I think that would be a really dumb move.

I agree with Badger 100%. Dee is too good to give up on, UNLESS we get an impact pitcher or 3b back.

However, for the rest of the year, you go with Cruz at 3b. Dee can be a pinch runner. We’ll see if he’s valuable enough to make a potential playoff roster as the pinch hitter/runner i.e. Dave roberts.

Either way, any Dee discussion should be tabled until this season is over (Hopefully not for another 60 days or so!!)

p.s. did any of you see the story that next season, both the Yanks and Bosox come to town???

“Agree; let’s discuss Dee in 2 months, not now.” Bobby

Good plan. And let’s give him a winter to work on his game, a full Spring Training next year, then discuss him again.

He brings too much to the table to not use him down the stretch. You need a run late innings? Who better to pinch run than him?

Badger – I am glad that you are not a Judge because you do not know how to read what I write. Nothing above says throw him out. Maybe you are part of the Left that thinks I must be a bigot because I want him to learn a new position IF IF IF IF platooning at 2B with Ellis is the best approach for the team to win in 2013. Maybe Cruz will crash in 2013 and Hanley will have to move to 3B and Gordon to SS. Maybe Gordon will never have the discipline or arm to play SS. MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE Maybe Gordon learning how to play 2B will make him a better SS especially when it comes to double plays. Should catchers know how to pitch? I think so, and I have made catchers take pitching lessons so that they can be a second pitching coach on the diamond even at 11-14 years old.

Gordon is hitting .267 at AAA :(. He IS IS IS IS starting to get his swing back and would make a GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD callup if Ned can DFA his beloved Angle. He will not replace anyone in the lineup during 2012 and he will be in a fierce battle for a spot on the 25 man roster in 2013 IF IF IF IF there are no injuries, trades, or Andruw Jones type collapses. Jansen learned how to pitch in a year, Gordon should learn how to be a utility man at 2-3 positions during winter ball SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD he hit a glass ceiling. He found a Hall of Fame SS to teach him how to field at SS (To NO NO NO avail- on pace for 35 errors) and maybe Lopes can teach him how to play 2B during the winter.

In less than one year I went from “never played volleyball before” to a non-scholarship college level walk on starting volleyball middle blocker with major prescription glasses and a build smaller than Gordon. If HE is such a good athlete then he CAN CAN CAN learn to play 2B in the winter and be ready to do whatever his employer legally and ethically can ask of him in exchange for $465,000.

Congrats to ALBA for making the playoffs (playing until 9/10?)

Congrats to the Lookouts for winning the 2nd half aLee being the pitcher of the week!

Too bad the Quakes were eliminated but they did promote a lot of pitchers and a few other players to AA during the years and during the prior winter.

Great Lakes – Wait until the 2012 draft arrives.

Congrats to Ogden and AZL on winning their divisions. Great Lakes wants some of your players for next yeear!

Hey Ken, you seem to follow the minors pretty well. Any clue why Saeger didn’t play the last several games?

Learning second base after playing SS is not that difficult a task. I was actually told that by a scout. “If you can play shortstop,and YOU can, second base will be easy for you.” His words. I’ll never forget them. He was talking to me as I was going to be switched. So Gordon already can play 2b. Teaching the turn is easy. All three moves at the bag are left footed moves. I taught my 11 year old son those moves in one afternoon. And the question is not if he can’t hit .280 he must learn another position. The question is, can he get on base at .333 or better? Sounds like you already have him, at age 24, as a utility/platoon guy Ken. A guy that can score 100 and steal 60 is a guy that plays everyday. If it’s second base, I have no problem with that. But, I would rather have him at short, with Hanley at third. Cruz and Ellis can slug it out for the second base spot – next year. Both Cruz and Ellis have earned the right to be in the lineup this year. If we win it with those guys, it could create some interesting dynamics next year. But, I still see Gordon and Crawford at the top of our lineup next year.

Dee must be feeling better. He is 5 for his last 9 with 2 SB and 2 runs scored. Gonna be interesting when he comes back.

I have no idea if you are a bigot. Don’t really care. But I can say that the bigots I have known in my life, and I have known a few, were right wing nutballs. Yeah, I know, the commie bastards you have known in your life were left wing nutballs. Takes all kinds doesn’t it.

• Ken says:

Most of the bigots I know are left wing and try very hard to pretend that they are not bigots!

You have convinced me that that you do not understand contingency planning.

Try to read what I wrote one more time and try not to make your biased conclusions based upon erroneous assumptions interjected into what I wrote.

18. jerry says:

i dont like donny ..the press ask donny are you worried about the team and the way they are playing ..and he always say no i not worried..i think he sould be..it starts with him..he need more concern..and yes kemp is not the same fun guy he was..he staires out in to space..and that not him…doesnt look his mind is on the game..

The above isn’t definitive, but it gives me the impression that Hanley would have no problems playing 3B next year if it made the team better. I think he loves being in LA and around what would appear to be a collection of stars, with Crawford to be added next year. And maybe even Dee Gordon can begin his climb into that category. The Dodgers have power with Kemp, Gonzalez, Ethier and Hanley in the middle of the lineup. Adding the dimension of top of the line speed at the head of the lineup with Gordon/Crawford greatly enhances the power to follow. Yes, Gordon could probably play 2B, but so can Cruz/Ellis. And if Cruz is for real, then he even adds some power near the bottom of the lineup.

Like so many young, inexperienced shortstops before him, Dee Gordon will get steadier with the glove. That’s more a process of maturity than anything else. And his off the charts range is something that can’t be taught. He’ll even catch some line drives that others can’t touch, given his tremendous vertical leap. And not only has Gordon for the most part hit throughout his minor league career, but, if memory serves, I believe he tied for the Puerto Rican winter league batting title during the winter prior to the 2011 season. If I’ve noticed anything about Gordon, it’s that he gets better and better the longer he stays at a particular level. In other words, he makes adjustments.

But I’m all for leaving the Gordon discussion for the winter and next spring. And, as I’ve said before, as much a Gordon supporter that I am, I do not believe that he should be playing in front of Cruz/Ellis this late in the season after coming off a serious injury. He needs the winter to continue to heal, work on strengthening himself, continue to mature, and to work on the fundamentals like bunting, fielding and getting on base, and any other un-refined parts of his game.

And I too have known both right and left wing nutballs, and all kinds of other nutballs. Keeps life interesting.

Are the Dodgers better off now than they were 4 years ago?

Then – 11 position players with BA above .250 with 100 or more ABs

Now – 9 position players with BA above .250 with 100 or more ABs; 1 traded and 1 on 60 Day DL

Team BA Then .264 – 14th; Now .252 – 18th

Team OBP Then .333 – 14th; Now .318 – 18th

Team SLG Then .399 – 24th; Now .371 – 28th

Team OPS Then .732 – 21st; Now .689 – 27th

Team ERA Then 3.68 – 2nd; Now 3.46 – 5th

Team WHIP Then 1.29 – 2nd; Now 1.26 8th

Record Then 84-79 – 14th in wins; Now 73-63 10th in wins

Place Then Won the NL West; Now 2nd Place Out of Wild Card

Then Won Division series and Lost Championship Series

Now ?????

Debt Then – Tons; Now – Rumored to be None

Debt to EBITDA Ratio Then – Over Limit; Now None of Bud’s Business :)

Control by MLB Then – beginning; Now None of Bud’s Business :)

Improvements Then – Cancelling; Now Rumored to be planned

International Scouting Then – Nil; Now – Max effort

Owners Then – Contemplating divorce; Now Harmonious

Opening Day Salaries Then $118 Mil; Now $105; 2013 ?? $194 milwith excise tax??

Prospects

Then Now

1. Kershaw – Star 1. Lee AA 4.25

2. LaRoche – Failed 2. Pederson A+ .313

3. Hu – Failed 3. Reed AA 4.84

4. Elbert – ?? 4. Sanchez A+ 6.58

5. DeWitt – Flop 5. Withrow AA 60 Day DL

6. Withrow – ??? 6. Baldwin A .209

7. McDonald – Traded 7. Gould A+ 5.75

8. Meloan – Flop 8. Rodriquez AZ Camp

9. Young – Flop 9. Casty AAA .328

10. Baez – Flop 10. FedEx AAA .294

Toss Up per the numbers?

Future looks good with new owners attempting to overcome the mess created by prior owners. Change creates Hope :)

• Kris says:

Are the Dodgers better now than four years ago? Oh hell yes. For the first time in my recent memory Blue is going into the off season without WTF questions (like who is the real Loney or which Furcal will show up or where are we going to find two more starters?) The rotation is set with 6 great to decent starters under contract, the Bullpen is solid, there are solid to star players signed for every position. The major off-season issues are IMHO what to do about LF until Crawford is ready and who will be coming off the bench. When was the last time Blue went into November with so few questions?

Thank God for deep pockets and Stan Kasten! I’m looking forward to stability and no more tired old castoffs and a return to greatness.

“Most of the bigots I know are left wing”

well of course they are.

“and try very hard to pretend that they are not bigots!”

makes no sense. You cannot pretend to not be a bigot. Once you open your mouth, the jig us up.

“Are the Dodgers better off now than they were 4 years ago?”

Oh hell yes. McCourt is gone. nuf said.

Agree Brooklyn. The Dee issue will work itself out. He’ll get his chance to become a productive Major League player. If it isn’t with Los Angeles, I just hope it’s in the other league. btw, do you know when he is scheduled to return to Los Angeles?

Just a little Family Feud between Cousin Fred and Uncle Bob…

There’s nothing to see here – move along, Folks!

Just a family spat.

Hanley WILL go to 3B if asked – he just won’t put up MVP-TYPE numbers. Nothing even close. You have to ask yourselves if you want a SS with no power and a mediocre 3B or do you want a SuperStar SS and trade Dee (and others) for a very good 3B or 2B.

That’s your choice. Think what you want. That’s the choice. You can make Hanley play 3B but you can’t make him be happy when all he has ever wanted to be was a shortstop.

I think the Dodgers already know the answer. We won’t be having this conversation next year, because Dee will be gone. Bet on it!

I love to stick my neck out there, but rest assured – I don’t do it in a vacuum! I’m not always right (Chris Capuano or Andy LaRoche, anyone), but I get my share!

• Kris says:

Mark, can’t agree with you about Dee. I think he’s a Dodger long term, maybe not immediately at SS. Between Hanley, Cruz, Dee, Punto & Ellis all under contract or club control next year the infield is set. Who plays where and how often TBD. I’d love to see David Wright at 3rd but not gonna happen, I think Blue has blown it’s wad for the time being.

Offseason moves – I think that one of the six starters (Harang?) becomes Jamie Wright. Say sayonara to the old and ineffective (Kennedy, Abreu, Rivera, Treanor) and finally FINALLY eat Uribe’s contract. Say hello to Fed-ex. After you’ve taken out the trash, and assuming all on the DL come back healthy, two slots are open – one RP and a 4th outfielder. I’d be happy keeping League (his stuff has been nasty lately), 2nd choice another lefty. I’d love Victorino taking a 1 year contract, but don’t think that’s going to happen. Please, no more Tony Gwynn.

The only bigots I have known were Democrats, Republicans, Independents and Morons. You and I are the only ones who are not bigots and sometimes I wonder about you.

;)

You’re a good man, Mark. Most of us have fun with the Capuano (and Blake DeWitt) thing, but it’s all in fun.

Naturally we wish you were right, as it means a better Dodger team!

bigot:

a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

Once you understand what the word means, it really isn’t that difficult where to find the largest collection of those that fit the definition.

If we trade Dee over the winter, and I am not necessarily saying we shouldn’t, we won’t get top dollar in return. Not yet. He has to develop with us, or he will get to develop with someone else.

Who do you have in mind for him? What recruit do you want in return for 100 runs and 60 stolen bases? And make no mistake, that is what you are trading away. What do you think we can get for him? Pedroia? Let’s hear one of those outrageous trade scenarios you are famous for….. Dee Gordon and ????? for Dustin Pedroia.

• Ken says:

“A man with a hump-backed uncle mustn’t make fun of another man’s cross-eyed aunt”. Mark Twain

Your definition of a bigot is bigotry because it specifically includes certain groups and therefore attempts to deceive people by pretending that the same behavior against other types of groups is not bigotry.

Who would you rather have Hanley or Headley?

Victorino .238 .299 .325 .625 (Ave;OBP;SLG;OPS) or
    Trayvon Robinson .250 .327 .325 .702

Do the Dodgers need another new training staff?
    25% of team on the DL with 20% on the 60-Day. 30% of the pitchers on the DL.

“Who would you rather have Hanley or Headley?”

One’s a third baseman and one’s a shortstop. Why can’t we have both?

Victorino or Robinson? Neither. We don’t need them. But if I had to choose, Robinson as a 4th. Victorino would never accept the role.

Dodgers got new trainers. Doesn’t seem to make a difference. Must be the cool air of Los Angeles nights. Or the hot air of Los Angeles night life.

• Mark_Timmons says:

\”“Years ago, I called Andre Ethier “soft.” I retracted it when he had a modicum of success in the clutch, but it seems that he reverts to being Mr. Softee year-after-year. The plain truth is that he cannot hit lefties and needs to be platooned in RH. End of discussion.” Mark Timmons

I know you “ended the discussion” but I would like to point out that Ethier’s last three home runs, including 2 in the last 3 games? …. against LH pitching. How about some love for Mr. Softee?\”

It was true when I wrote it. It ain\’t now.

• Kris says:

Plenty of love in this house for Dre. I was po’ed when I got to the game too late to get his tote (usher told me they ran out at noon). Wife can’t decide whether he or A.J. is the man.

27. RogerCraig says:

I am not a bigot and I tolerate anyone’s viewpoint, as long as it agrees with mine. ;)

I agree with Roger Craig tonight.

Casey Blake prior to becoming a full time player at age 29
    35 hits in 149 ABs = .235

Luis Cruz prior to becoming a full time player at age 28
    34 hits in 154 Abs = .221

Is it possible that Luis Cruz is the next Casey Blake? Will He be a good player for 7-8 years?

30. Bball says:

I have a couple questions. What is the limit before the dodgers have to pay luxury tax? And how much will the tax be? Thanks

31. Gionfriddo says:

This game is Mattingly’s to own … Is the pen taxed now?? Of course it’s taxed, every pen is taxed come August.. Mattingly don’t let Belisario start the 8th and opts for Guerrier?? Then, when Guerrier torches the mound and squashes Kershaw’s hard work, he brings Belisario in to attempt to stop the bleeding?? Last Tuesday Mattingly’s blunder cost this team as well– starting Kennedy over Cruz (kennedys DP ground ball killing our rally in the 4th; followed up by letting Capuano hit for himself in the same inning with runners on 1st & 3rd).. Theres no way Guerrier should have been handed the ball in the 8th… Clock is ticking for Donnie Baseball…

• Kris says:

Don’t know WTF Colletti gave Guerrier a 12M 3yr contract last year. I’m sure that i am wrong, but it seems to me for every hold he’s blown at least one.

Problem is he’s due 4.75m next year, unless we can find a sucker to pawn him off on.