Money doesn’t matter? Are you a joker?

Eric Eulau of TheSportsBlitz.com explains “Why you don’t understand the Dodgers, Red Sox deal.

So, money doesn’t matter?  OK, I get it!  Money doesn’t matter.

If you believe that, I have a bridge I’d like to show you.

Money does matter – it just may not matter right now, but it will matter at some point, which is why crazy spending is never a good idea.

Maybe Josh Beckett will come back and win 18 games next year.  Maybe Carl Crawford will hit .320 and steal 50 bases, but at some point, the money will matter.

Mark Walter does not operate in a vacuum – investors are owners of Guggenheim & Company too.  Lots of things can cause investors to become disgruntled.

Money doesn’t matter RIGHT NOW, but it will – this ain’t my first rodeo.

18 Responses to “Money doesn’t matter? Are you a joker?”

Are the Dodger players doing everything they can to win? :)

According to a recent report from Football Italia, Napoli’s club doctor claims a sex ban keeps players out of harm’s way.

“Avoiding sexual activity for two days before a game is fundamental to prevent muscular strains, contractions or inflammations,” Professor Alfonso De Nicola told Corriere del Mezzogiorno.

7 Day Free Fall
    Yea, really playing well during the stretch run

Casty .000 1 AB
    Punto .000 3 AB
    Abreu .000 3 AB
    Kemp .053
    Rameriz .200 11 Ks
    Ether .208
    Victorina .227
    Kennedy .250

Guerrier 27.00
    Ely 13.50
    Beckett 5.68
    Blanton 5.25
    Tolleson 4.50
    Choate 4.50

Sometimes its hard to be a fan
    Giving all your support to just one team
    They’ll have bad times
    And they’ll have good times
    Doing things that you don’t understand
    But if you support them you’ll forgive then
    Even though they’re hard to understand
    And if you support then
    Oh be proud of them
    ‘Cause after all they’re just a baseball team

Stand by your Dodgers
    Give them your wallet to take from
    And three hours a night to tempt you
    When nights are sad and scoreless
    Stand by your team
    And tell the world you support them
    Keep giving all the support you can
    Stand by your team
    Stand by your team
    And show the world you support them
    Keep giving all the support you can
    Stand by your Dodgers

3. Rob says:

I will always be a huge fan of the dodgers but I need a break. I will not watch a single game of the Arizona series and will be ready to start fresh with the cards. I have tickets for the first two cards games and will be reenergized with new hope, I think.

I have tickets for the first game of the Cards series. I understand Rob’s comments from above and feel the same pain. We are only 1 1/2 games out of the wild card even after all the crap that’s gone wrong. Doesn’t the Law of Averages have to even out at some point? Guy’s will begin to get timely hits. I still like what the ownership has done and eventually these players will make a run. It’s gonna happen and it begins in Arizona tomorrow. Now if they go into Arizona and lay some eggs then Does anyone want to buy my tickets for Thursday night? There’s still hope………..

5. DodgerDude says:

Of course money matters. No one with any sense buys that, but right now, it evidently doesn’t matter. Guggs wants us to think that they will spend forever – they won’t and can’t!

Remember, they also want to make you think that Magic Johnson is really more than a figurehead. Do you buy that too?

6. Gonzo says:

The only infinite thing in this world is time and numbers. I still don’t see why guggs is being chastized for spending. Will this trend continue of course not but Walter didn’t get to where he’s at by not having a plan of action. Walter’s Dodgers are just a seedling at this point and time and in order for him have strong organization he’s willing to pay more upfront now. I envision the dodgers to be like Kasten’s Braves teams that had about a decade and a half of success from the top down. These first five years are just a shot in the arm for the organization as a whole while Kasten and White revert the minors to being a productive MLB producing system.

7. RogerCraig says:

These are the same guys who:

1. Said Frank McCourt wouldn’t get parking revenues (lie).
    2. Said that Magic Johnson would be there everyday and actively involved.
    3. Said that money is no object.

Take it all with a grain of salt.

8. Reggie says:

There is just nothing to say. This team sucks. I have never been so disappointed as I am right now and I have been a fan since 1980.

This sucks.

What could possibly be more enjoyable than seeing the gNats blowing this after everybody has given us up for dead. They’ll be dancing in the streets.
    THINK BLUE

No doubt money matters. And I have a lot more confidence that Mark Walter and Stan Kasten better understand how to use their resources than anyone on this site. Not only will re-building this team bring more fans into the park (maybe over 4 million), but it will be worth a fortune in sponsorship dollars and merchandise sales. And then there’s the TV contract or a regional network. That’s likely worth BILLIONS over the coming years.

And while I expect the Dodgers to be big spenders again this coming winter, I don’t expect that they’ll be adding this kind of payroll year in and year out. That’s why they’re investing in our currently depleted farm system, which had been neglected by McCourt over the past several years. How is it, that the team which was the leading pioneer on the international market, sunk so low that they were at the bottom of the barrel in international spending last year. That’s now over with, and I expect over the coming years we’re going to be hearing the names of young players we don’t yet know.

Yes, they spent a lot of money. But they didn’t do so blindly. There’s a plan in place, and they’ve pretty much told us what it is. Spend big now to re-build the big league team, and make it a contender not just this year, but next year and for several years after. And simultaneously invest in signing and developing young players for the future, so it will be unnecessary to load up on pricey established talent five years from now. They’ll always invest in some of that, but will not need to do so to the extent necessary now, once they have a productive young talent pipeline in place.

And as Badger pointed out the other day, the Yankees haven’t won a world championship every year, but they do go to the postseason just about every year. And with all the money they spend, they’re still probably making money hand over foot. And perhaps someone will come along and tell us that the Yankees are losing money. That may be so if you looked just at the team. But it’s not likely the case if you looked at the bottom line of the Yankees and the YES network combined.

By the way Half Full, I feel your pain. I went to my first game at Ebbets Field in 1956.

11. Rob says:

It was a good day, the midgets lost, the cards lost, and the dodgers didn’t lose.

12. SpokaneBob says:

My first was 1958.

I have enjoyed the highs and endured the lows. Thats what being a fan is all about. I am not giving up at this point, but it is what it is. We can only hang in there and hope for the best. But we are in a new position for Dodger Fans. We can honestly look forward to next year and the years after that, knowing that our team has been dramaticly improved (where would we be if Kemp had been healthy all year) and will likly be futher improved over the winter. Thats the silver linning regardless of what happens this year.

Baseball is a wonderful game where the unlikly often happens and the impossible is possible until the Fat Lady sings. She hasn’t sung yet.

We are only one game back in the wild card race and we play the Cards starting Thursday night. The Giants, Braves and Cards all lost yesterday. If we could have more days off we might pick up some valvable ground.

That day off was the most productive day we’ve had in a while!!

15. Eric Eulau says:

Money matters, until you own a 125 billion dollar hedgefund. Did Adrian Gonzalez just disappear off this article? He’s a damn good ballplayers and was the centerpiece of the trade

1. [...] plus great photos, stats and video highlights. Triple threat : B.J. Upton hit t more… Money doesn’t matter? Are you a joker? – ladodgertalk.com 09/10/2012 Eric Eulau of TheSportsBlitz.com explains “Why you [...]