Make a new plan, Stan!

When the Dodgers were considering Manny Ramirez, I said that “I’d rather lose without him than win with him.”  I took a lot of flack for that, but I believe that a lack of character will always rear it’s ugly head… and it did.  But, I digress.

Let me clarify one thing:  I am down with all of the trades made by the Dodgers this year.  Giving up all of the prospects they did certainly gives me pause… but …. (after a long…. pause)………… I would still do it.

However, money alone does not buy championships.  It takes a lot more than money.  It takes heart and soul.  It takes commitment.  It takes a family to win a championship (yes, some families are dysfunctional – witness the old Oakland A’s), but it’s still a family.

Currently, the 2012 version of the LA Dodgers does not have any heart, let alone any soul.  They aren’t really committed and they certainly are not a family.  That doesn’t mean that they can’t or won’t win- they just don’t have it now.

Here’s something I know will ruffle your feathers, but I’ll say it anyway:  If the trades had not been made, the Dodgers might be in 1st place.

<Uproar, cursing, shouting, arguing, loud voices, jeering, lynching>

You can argue that all you want, but look at the past success of the 2012 Dodgers (i.e.. the first half of 2012, last half of 2011) and you would be hard-pressed to argue otherwise.  Since the trade, this team has been doo-doo.  There’s no way of knowing, but that group was one of the best teams in baseball for a year (All-Star Break to All-Star Break).

Money can’t buy championships – it take a family of players, committed to winning with a lot of heart and soul.  That’s nothing that money can provide.  The Dodgers need leadership on the field.  Is the present leadership capable of providing that level of leadership?   We will find out in the next 3 weeks.

Eovaldi, Martin, RDLR and Webster all have a shot at being very good pitchers.  History says other-wise.  One, maybe two, will end up being a Number 3 or better, so the risk was probably worth the reward.  Zach Lee is at least a year away – and unless he can come up with a better “out”pitch, he’s a Number 3… AT BEST!  With an out-pitch he’s a Number #2,  He’s young enough to do that, but he got shelled Friday night in his first playoff start.

I think the future is bright.  It’s a good time to be a Dodger fan… especially starting next season.  These boys may have a run left, but injuries have decimated the team, especially the pitching staff.  At least we now know why Matt Kemp was not hitting.  It’s possible he will need minor surgery over the winter and I would bet that Chad Billingsley misses all of 2013. I also would not be one bit surprised if Josh Beckett suffers the same fate.  He has lots of innings on that arm.

The only way Dee Gordon is a Dodger next season is if no GM in baseball thinks highly of him.  If someone is willing to give up some value, he is gone, gone, gone!  On the other hand, if no one covets him the way some of you do, he will be a utility man or back at AAA next season.  I once had high hopes for him, but  as he approaches 25 I am losing some of my confidence in him.  I see flashes, but he is what his stats say he is.  So far….  Watch and see!

Chris Capuano pitched seven-solid innings against a team that is hard on left-handers.  Again, he didn’t get the win, but the Dodgers have won 16 of his starts the year and with 4 or 5 more starts likely, the team could end up winning 20 of his starts, even if he doesn’t win 20 games (how do you like that spin?).  Mark Ellis continues to do a journeyman’s job at 2B – he’s hitting .274 with a .355 OB% and playing exceptional defense.

What is clear is that the Dodgers need to add a starter next year.  Is that Zach Greinke?  He has been merely OK since moving to the Angels with a 4.36 ERA and 1.36 WHIP.  Some think the big stage in LA is too much for him.  I have no clue, but it would be fun to snatch him from the Angels.

Maybe Stan’s plan is just fine… for next year, even if there is now a dearth of starters that are near major league ready.

Here’s a list of Starting Pitchers who will be free agents next season (the * denotes a team option):

Scott Baker *
Carlos Villanueva
Chien-Ming Wang
Kip Wells
Randy Wolf
Chris Young
Carlos Zambrano

See anyone you want other than Greinke?

Just Wait Until Next Year

Let’s think about next year again – Kennedy will be gone, maybe Sellers, Victorino will be gone, Blanton will be gone, Wright will be gone, Treanor will be gone, Rivera will be gone, Hawksworth will be gone, Todd Coffey will be gone, but Juan Uribe will be given a chance to make the team because he is owed $8 million – it’s only logical to give him that chance.  He should hire a personal trainer and dietician and show up in the best shape of his life.  Nick Punto and Jerry Hariston, Jr. will be the backup infielders – I’m down with that.  I wouldn’t mind seeing Bobby Abreu as a LH pinch-Hitter, but I’m not sure the Dodgers can afford to carry someone who can’t play the OF.

That means that players like FedEx, Gwynn, Jr., Castellanos, Herrera and Van Slyke all have a shot at making the team.  The Dodgers have not been successful at stretching out Chris Reed into a starter (just like Lindblom).  I look for him to be back in the pen next season.  Red Patterson, Steve Ames, John Ely, Josh Wall, Steven Rodriguez, aka/Paco Rodriguez and Javier Solano are in the mix too.

If I had to guess what the Dodgers starting lineup will look like next year, this would be it:

1. Crawford  LF
  2. Ellis  2B
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Ramirez  SS
  6. Ethier  RF
  7. Cruz  3B
  8. Ellis  C

Mark Ellis is a great #2 hitter – he does all the little things necessary to advance runners including taking pitches to allow them to steal, hit the opposite way and get a flyball when needed.  The Dodgers have him for one more year.  Don’t look for offensive firepower to be added.  They have to sign Clayton and Greinke and the payroll will be around $200 million anyway.

Tonight

It’s the big stage tonight for Clayton Kershaw.  America will be switching back-and-forth between the Peyton Manning’ Broncos and the Dodgers – Giants game.  For the Dodgers to have any hope left, they have to win.  It would be a nice time to bring out the big bats.

51 Responses to “Make a new plan, Stan!”

I am on the Bus, Gus

The Dodgers have 6 starting pitchers signed through 2013, but with one on the DL for 2013, two that need shoulder surgery and 2 other #4 starters, they need to make some trades in the off season. The Rays have about 10 players who will be FAs and so you can bet on the Rays having an active off season. The Dodgers should consider trading for Shields, who happens to be the Rays highest paid player. Or if the Rays are really strapped for cash Shields’ options may not get picked up and the Dodgers may be able to work out a deal with his agent.

Since game 10 the Doodgers have been a .500 club.

I still say that IF IF IF Dee Dee wants to play in the MLB next year he transforms himself into a 2B, trys to convince management to platoon him with Ellis, and waits for Cruz to implode and Hanley to agree to playing 3B.

Bring Jackson HOME!

So.. what exactly did you say up there? That you are down with the trades that were made (taking on enormous salary) but you are not down with spending money? You say the team needs heart, but have no suggestion how to go about finding it, developing it, or revealing it. You say “money can’t buy championships” like it’s something we have never heard before. You state the obvious, but you don’t give us the reasons why spending money is actually a good thing. (Brooklyn has stated why repeatedly) I already posted the bottom teams in payroll, and asked if you wanted their model and you ignored the question. If we were the Rays, we would be dealing the young stars that Ken refers to in the above post.

Which Dee Gordon stats are you referring to? The first 525 at bats in the Major Leagues where he stole 54 bases and scored 70 runs, or are you talking about the stats that exist only in your head?

You give up too easily.

From what I have heard, Dee Gordon is a hard worker. If that is true, he can improve on his 90 runs and 70 stolen bases per a full year of at bats and he will get better in the field. You say “Watch and see!” I intend to.

“If the trades had not been made, the Dodgers might be in 1st place.”

Horsesh*t.

It’s good to be a Dodger fan.

I agree with that.

You want to talk about next year? OK. Talk about it.

I’m not done with this year.

This team still has a run in it.

Hide and watch.

3. Gionfriddo says:

“If the trades had not been made, the Dodgers might be in 1st place”??
    At times, IF is such a peculiar word — IF the dog hadn’t stopped to take a s…, he would have caught the rabbit, etc etc.. Seriously, how do you respond to that? I suppose had it not been done, Loney might have turned it around and made himself into a modern day, LH version of Jimmie Foxx down the stretch, thus providing ALL the offensive support needed to propel us the NL west title.. Guess will never know huh..

What I do know is that we are a 1/2 game out of the wild card with 3 weeks and change left– Badger, I’m with you, this team has a run left in it and I believe they will show it when it counts the most..

Everything Badger just said.

Correct me if I’m wrong. I’ve been very busy over the past several months, and I still am. So maybe my timeline is a bit askew. But would I be wrong in saying that the Dodgers were already out of first place when at least some of those trades were made? And even if they weren’t out of first, weren’t they already trending in that direction?

Money is not everything. However, it does BUY everything. But buying is not all there is about building a successful franchise. Choosing what you buy wisely is part of it; often an indispensable part. And I can tell you from personal experience (and I’m sure others can do the same) that there are far more important things than money. In fact, there are far more important things than baseball and the Los Angeles Dodgers. However, in the world that the Dodgers operate in, money is important. Not only to bring in expensive players, but also to develop a player development system that brings in the expensive players of the future. And having the kind of money that the Dodgers apparently have, gives them room to make some mistakes without having them be fatal mistakes (a la the Andruw Jones/Juan Pierre/Jason Schmidt/Manny Ramirez).

And why are the Dodgers spending money? Think TV deal. Think sponsorship. Think 4 million in attendance. Think merchandising. And think about anything that has the potential to bring big dollars back to the Dodgers. The spending we’re seeing is an INVESTMENT in the team’s future. The new owners obviously see the potential for large revenue streams if they put a championship caliber team on the field. And they’re also making the Dodgers a desirable place for free agents, etc. to consider. And at the same time they’re INVESTING big time into re-building the minor league talent pipeline to the Dodgers, which will also provide trade chips if there are any immediate needs in the future. In fact, I believe they will INVESTING big time to renovate Dodger Stadium to make it a money-making machine.

Personally, I still see Dee Gordon in the Dodgers’ future, and very likely at shortstop. I read a piece the other day that indicates to me that Hanley Ramirez is very happy to be in LA, very happy to be with what he perceives to be a winner, and will be very happy to do whatever is necessary to make the team a winner. So really, I do not see that he would have any problem moving over to 3B if that’s what is best for the team. And really, if he’s not that type of player, I don’t want him. But that’s just me saying that money isn’t everything. Mind you, if the Dodgers could find another solution at 3B with Gordon moving to 2B, I would have no problem with it. But don’t think you’re going to get David Wright or his ilk without giving up a bunch of talent in return. Certainly more than I’ve seen suggested on this site. And furthermore, I think the Dodgers already have their third baseman in Hanley, and that, in fact, he’s probably more suited to 3B in the years going forward. And all he needs to grow increasingly comfortable at 3B is repetition. The more he plays it, the more he’s likely to begin feeling at home.

And I wouldn’t even begin to predict what the Dodgers will look like next year. There may well be a lot of changes over the winter. Just hold your breath, and let it play out.

And by the way, reminding us how well the Dodgers played at the end of last season brings this to mind. Wasn’t Dee Gordon part of that?

• Mark_Timmons says:

Dee had a really good month. He has had four pretty poor months since.

Today, they are 4.5 games behind the Giants, 8 games over .500.

And I disagree that “money does buy everything.”

I think that is absolutely false. Money buys a lot of things. Money bought Andy Jones and Jason Schmidt but it didn’t make them play. Money buys players, but money doesn’t make them play. The good ones play for more than money, although money was what got them.

Money is only PART of the equation. The Yankees have won one World Series in the past 12 years, despite outspending every team in baseball by at least double. The St. Louis Cardinals have won 2 World Series in that same time by spending a fraction of what the Yanks did and with excellent player development.

So, while money is a THING, it’s not the ONLY thing and it doesn’t buy everything. Otherwise, the Yanks would have 12 Championships in the last 12 years.

Funny thing is, if we win tonight, we’ll have done exactly what we had to do: we won the series up in SF (of course a sweep would’ve been perfect, but me looking like LL Cool J would have been perfect too)

I think we have tons of talent. I don’t think losing Loney and Lindblom from the MLB roster broke our chemistry. I don’t think losing RDLR, who was here for 3 days, hurt our chemistry. I don’t think losing a bunch of minor leaguers hurt our chemistry. I can’t imagine that in September, a bunch of big leaguers can’t get up for a playoff push because of “chemistry”

I think we’re seeing a bad run, and hopefully we see a good run coming up now. We’re really set up for next season, but for now, we’re in the thick of things, and men need to man up. We need the ace to be the ace tonight, and we need all stars to beat up on Barry Zito.

And we need the Bears defense to welcome the rookie to the NFL with a few shots knocking him to the ground. DA BEARS!!!

7. Bball says:

Badger love it. He also said get greinke. Well you would have to buy him too.

• Mark_Timmons says:

You guys just don’t get it.

All I am saying is that money doesn’t buy Championships and if you think otherwise, you are delusional. That’s why I am not as giddy as you schoolgirls. I have seen money spent go right down the toilet.

Money absolutely does not bring happiness any more than it brings championships.

What is boils down to is HOW YOU SPEND IT!

What if Carl Crawford has complications and never plays again? What if next Spring, Josh Beckett has to have Tommy John? By the way, both are real possibilities. It means that the Dodgers have over $180 million gone. I hope this doesn’t happen, but it’s a risk.

I am completely down with Ramirez and Gonzalez, even if Hanley is a little bit of a nut job. Yes, he will go to 3B, but he won’t be happy and a unhappy Hanley is not so good. That’s why I leave him at SS and trade Dee. Someone needs a SS and Dee could net us a good reliever. Beckett and Crawford scare me due to injury.

8. Gonzo says:

I posted this last night on the old thread if you saw this already I apologize.

Talk about being fickle. Many here are now anointing Bills as the next great thing and the season is lost without him. It is also almost the same ones that wanted him gone a few months ago.

McCourt never spends money, I wish we had an owner tht would turn us into a juggernaut. Now that everybody got what was promised and Guggs is doing what we have been dreaming about for YEARS, they are being criticized for the trade and all the money that has been spent.

While it is fun to play GM and through around a trade or two as wacky as it may be, IT IS NOT YOUR MONEY. Give it a rest and be thankful that we are not KC, CLE,and yes I’ll say it Tampa. Everybody in tampa is a genius because they have a good scouting department some say. Well, I say that having a top ten pick for all but 4 or 5 years of their existence had a lot more to do with them being successful now. But what will happen in the next 3-5 years Marlins 2.0. They don’t have a strong fan base and probably never will.

Please people look at the bigger picture and if it helps any I apologize for the Dodgers making such a trade to try and compete this year, and become a powerhouse in the future. Enjoy the ride. Many fans wish they were in this position to root for a team with deep pockets and a very very successful baseball man like Kasten that history shows he knows when to pull the trigger on a trade and/or give out a big contract but most importantly, he knows how to build an organization from the minors to the major league team.

9. Bball says:

Hey mark like John lennon said All you need is love

By the way, Greike scares me too. I am not on his bandwagon. I\’ll take him because he\’s the best available.

11. Note says:

Great article but would be better written in december. This season is still to be determined still have wildcard shot and still have a shot at division. Wake up and see what’s in front of you all you !

Mark,

Reading is fundamental. I didn’t say money buys everything. That’s why I spelled “BUY” in uppercase, to give it emphasis. I followed that with this: “But buying is not all there is about building a successful franchise. Choosing what you buy wisely is part of it; often an indispensable part.” So, while money isn’t everything, it is everything when you “BUY” things. Get it?????

So “On the day THE TRADE was made, the Dodgers were 11 games over .500, 2 games behind the Giants. Two weeks BEFORE the trade was made, the Dodgers were 12 games over .500 and leading the Giants by a game.

Today, they are 4.5 games behind the Giants, 8 games over .500.”

If anything that falls in line with my comment concerning where the Dodgers were “trending”. And since the trade Billingsley has gone out, Jansen is out, and Kemp (likely due to his shoulder injury) is playing as if he was out. And yes, Adrian Gonzalez, who even you would admit is far superior to Loney, has been playing like Loney. And yes, maybe Beckett will need Tommy John. But the Dodgers acquired him because that was probably necessary in order to get Gonzalez. As for Crawford, I’m guessing that he will probably recover nicely from Tommy John. Pitchers do it all the time, so it shouldn’t be a huge problem for an outfielder. And he never had a strong arm anyway. Yes, he does present some risk, but from all accounts, he was playing well while on the field this year. So while there is risk in acquiring Crawford, there is also the potential of great reward. And like I said before, this ownership has the resources that will enable them to recover from mistakes. McCourt didn’t. And really the bottom line is this. The Dodgers need to spend money now to have any chance of winning now. And they need to spend money on their scouting and player development system to run an efficient organization in the future.

Stan’s plan is just what the Dodgers need. This is the same guy who was largely responsible for 12 straight Braves division titles, and the current success of the Washington Nationals. He’s spending money on established talent now, and signing young talent for the future. I can’t think of a better plan. But it will take time to play out, given the damage that McCourt’s tenure inflicted on the Dodgers.

13. Bobbie17 says:

It’s worse than all of this. The entire organization has no heart or soul. These guys learn this from the earliest stages of their careers. As Beckett recently said: “Who doesn’t want to play in Hollywood?” It’s Hollywood, boys. It’s New York, lite. Not everyone can do it. Not everyone wants to do it. We need some ballers. Period. Not actors, looking toward the end.

What Brooklyn, friddo, Bobby, Gonzo and Bball said.

The Dodgers, when everybody was healthy and half the team was playing over their heads, built a sizable lead. I don’t have time to go back right now (packing for trip) and check it, but we have been at or below .500 for some time now. This “over .500″ thing was done a while back. Now, as was mentioned, we have some key guys out. Even so, I am in this thing until we are mathematically eliminated.

And Mark, what you are missing is simply this – YES, the Yankees don’t win every year,(thankfully, I hate those guys) but they are in the play-offs damn near every year – 16 of the last 17 – including 5 World Championships. Those guys win, and that franchise, even with their payroll is making money ass over elbows. All Dodger fans, except you maybe, want some of that. If we can make the play-offs 16 out of then next 17 years, and win 5 World Championships, every Dodger fan, even YOU, would take that. Brooklyn has mentioned attendance, merchandizing, t.v. about a half dozen times now and he is absolutely right. The Dodgers are about to get real interesting and I hope eventually you get on board.

• Gionfriddo says:

Once again, Badger, I’m with you.. Mark, you call those who have a differing opinion schoolgirls and the meat of your argument is predicated on IF’S, followed up by MORE IF’S… trust me when I say this– Walter, Kasten DID NOT get where they are at because they bought stock in IF, MAYBE, or COULD HAVE BEEN’S.. they have rolled the dice in the only feasible way this franchise would be successful from August of this year and into the future (with the BoSox deal and the Ramirez deal)…

Don’t know if you watched Crawford before this year but he has always had a below average arm (on par with Pierre’s) and that is why he was put in LF in the minors.. that won’t change either and there’s a good chance it will be even worse after the TJ surgery.. however, the man has never been counted on to be a gold glove defender– he has made his living as a top notch base stealer who can hit .300 and score 100 runs..

Beckett= TJ surgery next spring?? ya, that could hit any MLB pitcher next spring as well–it is a part of the game nobody has control over..

The Yankees have only 1 WS title in the last 12 years.. Yes, that is a true statement. I’ve also had the MLB extra inn package since its inception and I’ve NEVER seen an empty seat at one of their home games (counting the old yankee stadium and the new one) and that includes games vs Boston or games vs KC.. Bottom line, the hated Yanks are what we all have aspired for our team to be since ’88 and that is RELEVANT…

• Bobby says:

Well said, but you should note that Crawford DID win a Gold Glove in 2010 for Tampa.

He’s an excellent defender, with an average LF arm. Plays LF very similar to how pre-roids Barry played LF; great defender without the cannon

15. Kris says:

Agree with most of the above. Blue should make the playoffs this year, But it will take some 1988 style lightning for them to go deep or all the way.

Before Bills went down I thought the Blue rotation was set for next year; I agree we need another starter. Before he got hit in the head by a line drive, I liked Brendan McCarthy from that list. Shields is another good choice.

I’ll stick with my prediction that the roster will be much the same as it is today once the trash is taken out. If Blue can sign League and Vic no changes.

Once a year I must recommend the following book to readers of this website

How To Read A Book
    by Mortimer J. Adler (Author), Charles Van Doren (Author)

Publication Date: August 15, 1972 | ISBN-10: 0671212095 | ISBN-13: 978-0671212094 | Edition: Revised

“Thats a good bark, Mark” now I need to go to i-tunes and download another song.
    I guess no news is good news. Assuming this means no bad news as far as Matts MRI went.

7 interceptions and counting in the Eagle/Brown game today

18. Win For Vin says:

I like the Edwin Jackson idea…and…there are a LOT of names on that free agent list…I did’t know. Anyway, I really like Victorino more than Crawford. We need a rah rah guy, who gets people fired up…who gets his uniform dirty (even when down 10-0)…everyone else is just blah…except Kemp, who is only fired up, though, when something great happens. I want to make the playoffs this year…but like “The Damn Yankees”…you got to have heart…and except for Victorino and a handful of others…I don’t see it. Unless, like the guy above…something “1988″ happens…and Gibson, Lasorda and Hatcher were “rah rah” guys.

19. Note says:

With everything being said, works series not out of reach for this year try to remain in the present rather than playing gm or fantasy baseball. Wake up guys!

Kershaw scratched from tonight’s game!!! Holy crap.
    Bad hip. Blanton will start and now I will start drinking.

Not good.

OK offense. This news means you need to score about 4 more runs than what you were going to need to win.

I sure hope this isn’t long term. Kind of hard to replace an ace.

Kershaw to Blanton is like Salma Hayek to Rosanne Barr.

At least our hero Luis Cruz is batting 5th today

What Bobby says

23. Gionfriddo says:

What DRomo says is the way to go…. We need to jump on Zito early and often…

24. Bball says:

Saddle up boys. Let’s go get us one

So how does the plantar fasciitis in Kershaw’s left foot effect how he pushes off the rubber, how he rotates his hips, and how he lands on his right foot? Cf. Dizzy Dean.

Another wasted at bat by Victorino.

This is how idiots play baseball. Ellis leads off with a double, and Victorino can’t even get him to 3b??? That Gonzo fly ball gets us an easy run.

Dumb teams give up chances like this. The Giants would have gotten the runner over.

Horrible start to the game already

• Rob says:

I agree, small ball wins games. This team needs to learn their roles quickly.

Victorino swinging at two pitches out of the strike zone, and Ramirez looks at strike three right over the plate. Weak first inning.

Then Ramirez bumbles a routine ground ball to his left. We need more speed and athleticism out there at short. Wonder where we can find it.

27. Rob says:

It would be fitting that the giants had to show them how to play small ball.

28. Rob says:

Here we go again leaving runners in scoring position.

This is too painful. I\’m watching the Denver Mannings.

The Dodgers look drugged.

Am leaving for California, Oregon, Washington and Nelson Canada tomorrow. I might check in now and then, but the phone will be turned off in Canada. I expect the team to be competing for a Wild Card berth by the time I get back. Maybe my leaving is just what they need to put together that streak for which we have been waiting.

I agree Mark. This is too painful now.

Thank the Lord football is back!!

31. Dave says:

Time to blow this offense up! Hit AJ Ellis lead off, followed by Mark Ellis, followed by Cruz, followed by Gonzalez… Tell the first three guys to emulate the Giants offense as best they can. Get on, move your guy over, sacrifice, SCORE! Quit waiting for HRs! They aint happening!

Victorino is a very poor fundamental player.

I am very unhappy with his acquisition

33. Win For Vin says:

I’m sick of watching Mattingly just watch the game with no emotion. Make Lopes the manager for the rest of the season…and get rid of everyone…including Dave Hansen and Honeybuns. I’m sick of this. No one wants to wake up.

Wasted days and wasted nights,
    You have left us Behind
    for you don’t belong to us,
    your heart belongs to yourself.

Why should I keep following you,
    when I know that you’re Not True Blue?
    And why should I support your game,
    when you’re to blame for making me Blue?

Don’t you remember the days
    that you tried and won games,
    I was so happy
    cheered for you only,
    my team.

Why should I keep following you,
    when I know that you’re Not True Blue?
    And why should I support your game,
    when you’re to blame for making me Blue?

Ther only place to find real baseball in La is to go to the new Clint Eastwood movie next week.

35. jerry says:

i gree with dave..our 3 4 5 6 ..hitter arent doing any thing..

36. Anonymous says:

LA, where hitters come to die

These guys need a phsyciatrist

37. Anonymous says:

The new owners said their first priority is the development but it’s the other way around. They don’t seem to care about their farm systems. There’s really no future for them unless they get traded. I salute to Diamondback Arizona they give the kids a chance. Hope the new owners should give the farm systems a chance as well.