Just a little more time is all we’re askin’ for…

Just a little more time is all we’re askin’ for
‘Cause just a little more time could open closin’ doors
Just a little uncertainty can bring you down
And nobody wants to know you now
And nobody wants to show you how

So if you’re lost and on your own
You can never surrender
And if your path won’t lead you home
You can never surrender

And when the night is cold and dark
You can see, you can see light
‘Cause no one can take away your right
To fight and to never surrender

With a little perseverance you can get things done
Without the blind adherence that has conquered some
And nobody wants to know you now
And nobody wants to show you how

So if you’re lost and on your own
You can never surrender
And if your path won’t lead you home
You can never surrender

And when the night is cold and dark
You can see, you can see light
‘Cause no one can take away your right
To fight and to never surrender, to never surrender

And when the night is cold and dark
You can see, you can see light
And no one can take away your right
To fight and to never surrender, to never surrender

Oh, time is all we’re askin’ for to never surrender
Oh, you can never surrender
And time is all we’re askin’ for
Stand your ground, never surrender
Oh, I said, “You never surrender”

Four days, four games, four is the magic number.  The odds are long.  They can’t afford a single loss.  Never surrender.  Matt Kemp is back in control.  Win out.  Just win baby!

38 Responses to “Just a little more time is all we’re askin’ for…”

All right. themountainmover is back in the house!

Win 4. That’s all they can do at this point.

However, I am processing 18 in a row through my hyponoetic visualizations. And, I got my Braves, Nationals and midgets dolls all lined up and pins o’plenty.

for now………..

Go Nats.

Go Reds.

GO BLUE!!!!

Half full. Always. Half full.

2. Bobbie17 says:

Hope is a bitch.

Sounds good to me. Keep processing Badger.

When it comes to the Cards, hope is all we have. When it comes to the Dodgers, it’s about converting hope into action, i.e., playing hard, playing confident, and taking the attitude that they will “never surrender”. And if they acquit themselves well in these remaining four games, and perhaps end the regular season on a six game winning streak, then as far as I’m concerned, no matter what the outcome, they will end the season on a positive note, which they will then use to carry them into the playoffs, or, if the Cards win, will carry them into next season.

Here’s an idea, which admittedly is not worth the virtual paper it’s written on.

Can the Dodgers hire Vladimir Shpunt to release some negative energy into the Cards clubhouse?

I think playing well at the end of the year is a good sign. Looks like maybe Kemp is feeling better. A good finish for this team will be a positive going into the off season.

Glad I don’t live in your world B17. Don’t want you anywhere near mine.

Hope is a bitch? How old are you?

• Bobbie17 says:

Badger: I’m old enough to remember when the Dodgers were really good and won on the field and won World Series. Where were you? I’ll stay in that world, thank you.

1988. I was running a successful business in Eureka. And in 1959 I was actually at one of the games in the Coliseum.

“I’ll stay in that world, thank you.”

Must be cloudy everyday where you live.

I would like to recommend some reading for you… “The Power of Now” by Eckhart Tolle.

6. SpokaneBob says:

In 1962 the Dodgers led the giants by 3 with 3 left to play. The Dodgers (try as they did) couldn’t win one at home and the giants won all three. Did they chock or just get cold?

Brooklyn led by 13 1/2 in mid August 1951 and couldn’t hold on. They had a world of talent on that team…Did they choke or was it just Baseball?

It could be that we are getting hot at just the right time and it may not matter how bad the Cards want to win if the Baseball Gods have another plan…..or not!

Thats the fun of it. And no matter the outcome I am glad they are making it exciting. If we get into the post season and are hot it could be a great ride. If not we have what promises to be a great season ahead of us.

GO DODGERS!!!!

7. Jas says:

Getting cold in the clutch is a choke!

8. ken says:

Periodic update on players that should have been platooning all year

Mark Ellis

LHP .336
    RHP .225

So, would you rather have Punto or Gordon platoon with Ellis in 2013?

If I had to make a choice now, it would be Punto with Gordon playing everyday somewhere. He needs innings and he won’t get enough platooning.

The Nats aren’t cooperating! 5-0 2nd inning! It’s clinch day for them if they want it. Let’s go Nats!

Anything is possible but the odds are long! Why not us? Why not the Dodgers?

It was 7-4 Cards in the bottom of 4th. I asked myself why are the Nats were keeping Chien Ming Wang and his 6.46 ERA in the game to face the middle of the Cards lineup. Maybe the Nats have their reasons, but my skepticism was answered when Carlos Beltran hit a 2 run homer to make it 9-4. In fact, he let Wang hit the previous inning with a man aboard. Maybe the Nats having pitching issues, or they just don’t care.

The Dodgers ended last season on a positive note –

And then started THIS season on a positive note –

THEN went on a deep dive some wondered if they would ever win again –

But, things do come around, and they are closing this season on a positive note.

Alas, will it be enough?

I am just so happy McAnus is out of the picture that I won’t let the lack of a post season harsh my mellow. I had them picked for third in the West. We have power in ownership and more better baseball people in the right places.

It’s a damn good year as far as I am concerned.

12. Bball says:

Badger. Overall I think your right. To pull this out would be great but if not I’m still pleased with the direction they are headed

13. Bball says:

I’ll pull a Mark and ask this of everyone. Beginning the season to where they are now. Is this year a flop or a good year. Yes for good year or no for flop. My vote is yes

American Ryder Cup team is a bunch of chokers :)

15. Dave says:

I’ve seen some wild ass speculation that the Rays may trade David Price. OK, maybe its not such wild speculation as we’ve seen the Rays display a propensity to trade players once they hit their stride/prime earning years and either can’t or won’t pay. In fact, I think someone posted on this site that Price may be on the trading block. If so, in my humble opinion, he’d be THE guy to get in the offseason. Getting him and adding to our bullpen to make it the best (at least on paper) in the MLB would be my focus as GM. So let me play GM for a moment as well as LADODGERTALK geekster. I’d give up both Gordon AND Ethier and maybe even a good prospect arm to get Price. I’d re-sign Victorino and hope that Crawford is healthy and back to form. I’d go with that outfield of Kemp, Crawford, and Victorino hoping that Puig can be Vicotrino’s eventual replacement.
    Kershaw and Price would be the best 1-2 punch in baseball – better than what the Giants have or any other team. We’d have great team speed with Crawford and Victorino and ouldn’t have to worry weather Ethier can hit lefties (not to mention that he is not the speed guy that Victorino is). Ellis could stay at second, Ramirez at SS, and Cruz at third without wondering what to do with Gordon. However, who’s arm would replace Ethier’s? Who would fit best in RF, Crawford or Victorino (until hopefully Puig becomes the guy in a couple of years)? Would the Rays even want Ethier and his contract? Maybe Gugg$ and Co. can send enough $ to the Rays to make it happen. After seeing what was pulled off with the Redsox, I can’t help but wonder about such a deal. Can any of you?

16. Gionfriddo says:

Dave, to me that is an excellent idea from all angles. Kershaw and Price would be absolutely filthy at 1 & 2 at the top of the rotation. Losing Ethier would hurt but Victorino can handle RF (2 yr deal should be the max deal he gets this offseason) until Puig is ready.

Some in here will not like getting rid of Gordon. However, if he brings a 20 game winner in his prime there’s no way LA can pass that up. Ethier is hitting .158 vs LH pitching since June 3– this is not an aberration, he has struggled badly vs LH for several yrs now and I doubt it will change any time soon.

If Price is indeed available, don’t you think somebody would make a better offer than that? Have you seen the extension Ethier signed? Those ain’t exactly Tampa friendly numbers.

• Dave says:

I agree. That’s why I threw in the Gugg$ and co. angle. (See the money issue in my post.) BTW, TB’s outfield is strong on SB’s but not what Ethier presents. At least that’s what I’d be hoping TB would see if I were Ned the GM. I bet he has already thought of this trade idea, maybe even will talk to TB about it.

• Dave says:

Badger, I’d guess that for TB to trade Price, they’d have to get a stupid offer from the other team’s GM. But isn’t that the Dodger’s strength now? Act stupid with money BUT clever with it at the same time? Do what other teams can’t and outsmart/outspend them? If Price becomes available, what smarter move than to outsmart the other teams with stupid money!

18. Gionfriddo says:

Good point, Badger– Guggs would have to eat a significant amount of the remaining 85 mill like Dave suggested.. Highly unlikely but a great idea…

Guggenheim might be eating plenty of green come this offseason if Ned can’t find takers for Guerrier, Uribe (FAT chance), Lilly ( after surgery, no chance), Harang, & Capuano.. Yes, I’m aware of the people who want Harang & Cap back as solid 4 & 5′s.. we can do better..

Maybe a third team, with some Dodger salary swallowing, could make it happen. Methinks the Dodgers overpaid for Ethier, and every other GM is going to know that.

Say, where are all the choke talkers? Haven’t heard that word as much the last few days.

• Gionfriddo says:

Badger, one loss in the next 3 days and the choke crowd will be out in force..

For the time being, the c-h-o-k-e keys seem to be missing on a lot of keyboards..

20. Gionfriddo says:

Crickets…

I mentioned in an earlier post that I’d include Gordon in a deal for Price, no matter how much I like Gordon. You gotta give to get. And I’d have no problem with including Ethier in the deal, although as has been pointed out, Tampa Bay probably wouldn’t want his salary without monetary compensation. All that said, I don’t think Victorino is an adequate replacement for Ethier, especially given that Crawford still has some questions to answer. However, including a third team, as Badger suggests, and possibly including other players/prospects that would net the Dodgers a power bat to replace Ethier might work. Would Arizona be willing to include Justin Upton (I still like him a lot) in a deal that sent him to the Dodgers? Probably not, but you never know. And there are probably innumerable other possibilities I’m not thinking of.

But bottom line is that Kershaw and Price at the top of our rotation, and maybe the addition of Greinke would give the Dodgers a power rotation. And Beckett hasn’t been too bad, and would fit in nicely in the 4th or 5th slot. Harang, Capuano, Lilly????? Any one of them could probably fill the 5th spot. And who knows what else might be available? Any pitchers coming out of Japan this winter? Or maybe someone in another deal, or another free agent I’m not thinking of.

Finally, trade Ethier or not, I’d like to see the Dodgers consider signing Victorino this winter. Perhaps his market value is down enough that he might consider signing with the Dodgers as a 4th outfielder that would see significant action, beginning the season in place of the rehabbing Crawford, and later seeing lots of action subbing in all three outfield positions. If the Dodgers have the money, why not pay a bit extra for a 4th outfielder who offers real value when he starts. Injuries are inevitable in a long season, and it doesn’t hurt to have an outfielder on your bench who is strong defensively everywhere in the outfield, adds speed, and who offers a competent bat when he plays. Or do we want a Tony Gwynn type again?

But this is for sure. I’m not going to join any CHOKE conversation. Not worth my valuable time, and besides, who on this site doesn’t know how I feel about that non-issue.

And friddo, you’re right. It won’t take much for that word to re-appear. I’ll just let its proponents have their say, and then write about what I think is important, if only to some of us.

• Ken says:

Several reports have stated this week that victorino will NOT be a 4th OF for any team.

Price is worth a lot this off season and TB will want many more prospects than the LADs have. Shields is their highest priced player at $7.5 mil-FA with an option. TB will be working had to rebuild their team due to a lot of FAs. Yes TB is absolutely on of the teams to talk to this of season for a pitcher.

They choked a month ago, but are not choking now.

I would be remiss if I didn\’t point out that they choked until their fate was in someone else\’s hand. That lightens the pressure a lot. I am happy they are winning but am still underwhelmed by their timing.

Doesn’t matter what part of the season that the dodgers choked resulting in the best that they can finish is the wild card playoff against a much better Atlanta team.

The European Ryder Cup team partially choked and then turned it around as the USA team completely choked. Pussycat choked on a 4 foot putt resulting in the USA team failing out of a tie and into to a loss.

Maybe the Giants will lose to the dodgers on purpose so that they do not have to play the Cardinals. Or maybe the Giants will try to beat the dodgers just because they can.

Actually I think that I predicted about 86 wins so Bball has a very interesting question to contemplate. I am happy with the results based upon a $130 mil salary but not based upon a $190 mil salary. The dodgers showed their end of the year review after the came today. Wait until next year.

Thinking about a third team in a deal that includes Ethier. Is Andrew McCuthchen available? After all, there will come a time when the Pirates can’t afford him. Since he probably signed a big league contract, I am guessing that Yasiel Puig likely doesn’t fall in the category of recently signed players who can’t be traded for a year. Get me McCuthchen, and I’d include Puig in the deal, even paying the entire $42 million over the next 6 or 7 years.

And, of course, to get Price the Dodgers would likely have to include more than Gordon and Ethier, since the latter would probably be going to the third team. This is all very complicated, and would likely take some creativity, which I’m sure Kasten, and even Colletti, are not lacking.

They haven’t choked until they are out of it. choke: fail to do something; leave something undone.

If they make the play-offs, it’s hardly a failure. That’s the goal. And I don’t buy Atlanta is a better team. If the Dodgers make the play-offs, they will be the hottest team entering the tournament. And if the championship is the thing left “undone”, then every team in the league save one are chokers.

L.A. will more likely go after free agents won’t they? Price, arb eligible, is going to cost the Rays plenty, but it would take Gordon and Lee, plus a couple more top prospects. If Ethier is included, and I am not so sure about that deal as it would be complicated, then swallowing money will have to be involved. If they are going to do that, why not just sign Grienke? or Haren, Jackson, or Lohse, or…. I am sure there are others out there. If Bills and Lilly check out ok, then we may have enough starters – especially if this offense gets untracked.

Why do I doubt Victorino wants to play in L.A.? Is it because he knows he won’t start unless Crawford can’t?