It’s Time for Good Hanley

Happy Labor Day Everyone!

I think we all know that certain players have to be treated differently.  In a perfect world, I would want Hanley Ramirez at 3B and Dee Gordon at SS.  It ain’t gonna’ happen unless somehow someone can get Hanley to get on board with that idea.  He’s not on board now.  It won’t work unless he is.  Hanley is a huge talent but he is very immature in many respects for a 28 (almost 29) year old.  In a lot of respects he’s a little kid who plays with sheer joy… when he can play where he wants… and he wants to play SS.

In 2011, the Marlins asked him to step up and be the leader and in 2012, they asked him to play 3B – all with disastrous results.  Hanley has blossomed when he came back to SS with the Dodgers – just don’t ask him to be a leader.  He’s a kid.  Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier and quiet Adrian Gonzalez are the leaders.  Hanley can be a kid… just don’t ask him to move off of SS – you won’t like the outcome.  It’s called “Bad Hanley.”

It’s not like Dee Gordon is Ozzie Smith at SS.  Hanley had 26, 24 and 22 errors at SS at ages 22-24.  The next year he had 10.  He’s not the greatest SS ever, but his body is slim and sleek and he moves very well.  He also has played the position for years and has experience there.  Witness the bare-handed grab yesterday and the throw out at home.  If I had to choose one SS, Dee or Hanley – it would be Hanley.  That’s not even a close comparison.

I know some of you won’t like the idea of playing a guy at a certain position because he will develop a bad attitude.  Let me put it in perspective.  Since Hanley was a little kid, he has played that position.  He did play 19 games at 3B and 2B in the minors (out of 396) for some reason or the other, but in his mind, he is a short stop… his childish mind.  Hanley Ramirez is an elite talent.  He can hit 30 HR, steal 50 bases, drive in 100 runs, hit 48 doubles, and win a batting title.  He has already done all that… and his best years could be ahead of him.

Dee Gordon has potential but he is only 4 years younger than Hanley.  He has 131 major league games under his belt and has 27 errors – more than Hanley ever had in  a season.   I think he’s going to be  a very good player.  The player he most resembles to me, is Ozzie Smith.  Ozzie finished his career with a .262 BA and .337 OB% and was a wizard with the glove.  While maybe not quite as good as Ozzie with the glove, I believe he can be a very good defender. So far, he has shown a proclivity to make a lot of unforced errors.

Hanley Ramirez is 28 and already is a career .300 hitter who can hit cleanup or leadoff.  Why mess with his head when the guy you will replace him with is obviously a step down?  Someone posted the other day that they had a friend who was in a MLB team front office and they said that Hanley would not be happy playing anywhere but SS.  That’s what I hear as well.  That’s why Donnie Ballgame moved him there and moved Cruz to 3B.

He ain’t going back.  Hanley is the Dodgers’ Shortstop NOW and in the FUTURE!  Dee Gordon is a shortstop – no one on any major league team will ask him to play a position he has never played (like 2B).  Dee Gordon has played SS every game in the minors and majors.  The Dodgers won’t put him there this year and they will trade him in the off-season.  Bet on it.  I don’t know who they can get (I’d try for Wright and/or Pedroia), but you can bet they will trade him.  I’m not sure what his value is.  I know a lot of you are high on him.  So am I.  But, I’m not sure other MLB teams are so enamored with him.  Hopefully, the Dodgers can find a trade partner who will give up something of value for Dee.

It all boils down to keeping an MVP – Type player happy and I vote to do that.  A precedent has already been established by the Dodgers.  Shane Victorino may very well be a better CF than Matt Kemp, but Matt would not be as happy playing LF or RF.  The Dodgers want a Happy Matt… and a Happy Hanley.  Maybe Dee can be a centerpiece in a trade for a 3B (Wright) or 2B (Pedroia) along with another prospect or two (Puig?).

I expect to see Dee soon – mostly as a pinch-runner.  The Dodgers will have a huge weapon on the bench with him.  Think bobby Abreu as a pinch hitter and Dee Gordon as his designated runner.

It’s Time:

31 Responses to “It’s Time for Good Hanley”

1. Jae says:

I was the one who has a friend whose father works for a MLB team. I can’t say who, but that is exactly what he says about Hanley. He did say Ramirez could be the MVP if you can keep him happy.

I would like to see Angle and Herrera DFA’d so that Gordon and Gwynn can be added to the Dodger roster.

Treanor 0-16 for the last month :)
    Uribe 1-11 and that hit came on a fat pitch from his friend as he reached 100 pitches
    Rivera 9-53 as he (along with so many others) tries to pull almost every pitch

Cruz .350 (He’s the MAN)
    Kennedy .349 (He serves a good purpose)

August ERA 3.90 Just average
    August Ave. .258 Just average
    August Record 14-14 Just Average

3. RogerCraig says:

I’m old school – you will play where I tell you to play and love it!

4. jerry says:

i agree with roger..you get paid all that money .and you tell the owners where your going to play..i would bench you..

5. HawkeyeDodger says:

Hanley has said that he was happy to play either position. Maybe that was just lip service. I can’t say for sure, but I tend to think being in the Dodgers clubhouse will do wonders to keep Bad Hanley in line. There’s no need to make changes right now for Dee Gordon, but unless there is a major trade that gets the Dodgers a David Wright or a Chase Headley, Dee Gordon will and should get a shot to win back the Shortstop position. His range is immensely greater than Hanley’s at shortstop.

6. Reggie says:

If the Dodgers could get either Wright or Pedroia, then it’s a no-brainer to trade Gordon. I think Hanley will hit better as a shortstop and that’s what the stats say too.

Bench him and you will have to trade him. I’m in management and the top performers are often the most mentally fragile.

7. Note says:

Is dees arm strong enough to play third base? What about second base?

8. Note says:

I agree with hawk eye but let’s not forget his throwing accuracy looks like a baby giraffe learning to walk

Gordon’s value on the trade market is as a lead-off man and shortstop. If he is hitting 8th and playing second base, well, you don’t get to trade those guys for a Dustin Pedroia or David Wright. In my world, ideally Gordon comes back this month, hits .275 with a .333 OBP, steals 15-20 bases and he does it while playing SS. Tell Hanley what the play is….. SS is yours …… NEXT YEAR.

I already miss Gordon and Crawford at the top of our lineup.

Having said that, I doubt what goes on in my head gets transposed to the Major League diamond. So…. whatever. Just win.

10. Bobbie17 says:

The D’acks are taking on the hated Giants. One thing for sure is that Gibson has them believing they still have a chance in this thing. Regardless of how this plays out, you know that he inspires this team to compete and win. Can the same be said of Mattingly? Not a very inspirational guy; more of a technician/follower than a leader.
    That’s just his personality, I think. If ever there were a group that needed inspiration from some source, it is this Blue group. The players, or some of them, will have to do this. It hasn’t worked so far. Who’s it going to be? The obvious guys, or the group as a whole or someone we least expect. A pitcher; a closer; a bench player?????? Someone, please!

I would hate to sit Cruz in favor of Dee’s bat??? Somebody is crazy!
    It’s September and with Baltimore winning today and the Rays beating the Evil Empire the O’s are 1 game out with TB lurking at 2 1/2 out after playing half the season w/o Longoria. I LOVE baseball.

Go O’s!!! I have been a Mark Reynolds fan since his days here in Arizona. He put on the best show in batting practice and probably still holds the longest per in ML (430′). I heard he is trying to cut down on his K’s so his HR totals are off a bit this year. I say go for it….. 37 dingers with 84 runs scored and 86 ribbies last year… who cares how often he strikes out. Chicks dig the long ball……. and nobody hits them longer than Reynolds.

Anybody but the Yankees.

12. Rob says:

The midgets have 8 games left with the Dbacks and are getting roughed up today. With our six games left with midgets the west is looking reachable. This dback team has a ton of fight in them, I wish our guys showed the same.

Ned will keep the kids with options in AAA unless his veteran choice becomes the next Uribe. If Cruz continues his present abilities then Gordon may be in AAA for all of 2013.

Gordon needs to learn how to hit before he will be allowed to hit leadoff.
    Cruz has RBIs in 60% of his games and
    Gordon has Runs scored in 45% of his games
    Gordon’s OBP is less than Sellers, Loney, Herrera, Victorino, DeJesus, Cruz, Hairston, Kennedy, Abreu, et. al.

I would tell Gordon to go learn to play 2B in the off season and to love it! That may be his quickest path back to starting as Ellis hits .234 against RHP. Cruz should also play 2B in winter ball because the long term plan for him should be to become the Dodger super sub in 2014 replacing the aging Hairston and weak hitting Punto.

Gordon has 525 Major League at bats, not even a full season’s worth, and with those he has scored 70 runs and stole 54 bases. Imagine what he will do when he actually learns the lead-off role.

You need to chill out man. You be wound a little too tight. I read somewhere that those who turn off Fox News and use that time to meditate actually reduce their blood pressure by 15%. I think you should try that.

• Ken says:

Gordon needs to learn how to hit before he will be allowed to hit leadoff.

BA .229

OBP .280

SLG. .282

in 301 ABs during 2012

Now that is half of a season and enough of a sample size to concluded that something is wrong.

Just a prospect?

I agree with roger that you play were you are told to play.

Chill out Badger – I am talking about possibilities. If Gordon can not hit .280 then he had better learn more than one position.

Those that turn off MSNBC, the illegal arm of the Democratic (founders of the KKK) and Communist parties, becomes 99% less delusional.

You are hilarious. Fox and MSNBC serve the same purpose for different perspectives. The difference is, MSNBC does actual research with people who have PhD’s. Neither are illegal. Geez man, you sure seem angry. I still say meditation could help a guy like you.

For a stat guy, you sure don’t seem to read stats all that well. Gordon has hit .261 in 525 at bats. Not the .229 you just posted. I wonder how many Hall of Famers had only hit about .260 with their first 500 at bats? Just curious.

There is nothing “wrong” with Gordon. What’s wrong here is your expectations. Give him some time.

14. Rob says:

Watching this midgets game is puzzling, most managers will not run their closer out after throwing so many pitches in the series with the dodgers. I gave Gibson praise earlier but I take it all back.

15. Bball says:

Man those MFN giants are taking years off of my life. Gotta kee pace

dbacks bullpen, who up until the last two games, had a 1.something ERA since the All Star break. They are collapsing like grandma’s crumb cake.

16. Rob says:

I guess that walk off didn’t spark the club, another slow offensive start making opposing pitchers look like Cy young candidates.

Another no-name pitcher for San Diego?

The thing is, there are some really good young pitchers in the NL West. Some of them you may not have heard of, but, they got names. I think it would be a good idea to get to know these guys. You are going to be seeing a lot of them in the coming years.

17. Rob says:

Beast mode- OFF

18. Bball says:

Been off for a while

19. the truth hurts says:

better start believing people!

20. Rob says:

Cruz is the real deal. No more swapping in players at his position he is a permanent part of this lineup!

Starting to look like April.

22. Note says:

So we won, anymore whining?

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]