It’s all good

I have resolved to only say good things about the Dodgers today.

Here is what I have to say:

10 Responses to “It’s all good”

1. J says:

Damn clever. How about A.J. Ellis leads things off for us instead?

2. the truth hurts says:

Who are the Dodgers?

Not bad Mark, but you forgot to mention……..

4. Bobbie17 says:

To the Optimists: A nod to our great scouting department:
    Zack Lee, 2-3; 5.03era; 54/63/19/39/.267
    Chris Reed,0-3;4.41;33/27/17/26/.191
    Both are in AA not based on A performance. Both #1 picks. Reed is still building his arm strength. A closer at Stanford, the brains drafted him as a starter. The Dodgers had to have Lee because he was a quarterback. Those draft rooms must have been like the scene in “Moneyball.” The whole draft/development department should be fired.

5. Voldomer says:

I think a few positive things can be said despite the tailspin.

1. Luis Cruz has a future with LA. It likely means Dee Gordon doesn’t, but Cruz is the real deal. This is all the more interesting because LA supposedly traded for Gonzalez in part to provide a Mexican star on the team . . .

2. A.J. Ellis has held up quite well over the long haul. I hope it didn’t wear him out for the future (Russell Martin?), but 2012 will be a year to remember for him.

3. Paco Rodriguez had a very nice debut Sunday.

4. The ownership went out and got everything the team needed. They can’t help that things aren’t working out on the field. I wouldn’t bet against this team next year, though.

6. Note says:

We need base hits. Too many guys swinging for the fences.

OK

Maybe they’ll trade Gordon, and maybe they won’t. But it won’t be because of Luis Cruz. Cruz has had a nice year, but his track record can’t be forgotten. He might turn out to be a good player, or this year may well be the high point of his career. He’s not a guy I would hang my hat just yet. In fact, I think there’s a better chance that he winds up as a utility player who can play all over the infield.

As for Gordon, I still rate him far above Cruz. As Badger often reminds us, this was his OJT year. Let’s not forget his performance last year. This kid not only hit well in the minors, but also tied for the Puerto Rican winter league batting title prior to last year. There are innumerable examples of players who got off to slow starts in their big league careers, only to ultimately become all-stars. And we’ve seen the opposite. Players who started out with great rookie years, only to wither on the vine. But why am I not surprised that so many fans have already given up on Gordon. Seems it wasn’t so long ago that people were dumping on Matt Kemp.

Gordon, I suspect, will be spending this winter working hard to ready himself to win back the shortstop job next spring. And I also think that the Dodgers brass still thinks highly of him. I keep hearing that at 25 Gordon should have already refined his rough edges. And where was Luis Cruz at 25? Gordon started playing baseball late (primarily a basketball player in high school, much like Matt Kemp), so yes, he’s a bit behind the refinement curve. But he’s a great athlete with a strong work ethic, and a great attitude. And it doesn’t hurt that he has a father who knows what it takes to succeed in the big leagues.

And how important is money? Well, if the Dodgers had it last year, they probably wouldn’t have had to make the deal with Boston, since they’d probably already have Prince Fielder at 1B. In other words, had they been able to spend the money last winter, they probably would not have had to spend as much as they did in the Boston deal, and likely would still have RDLR and Jerry Sands, unless they were used in other deals to acquire additional talent.

If Dodger Nation has raised the white flag how does this make the team feel.
    We could be in 1st place next week but a little positive thinking can go a long way. THINK BLUE!