Barely breathing

When the Dodgers score 5 runs, they almost always win.

It was a win last night.   Clayton gutted out a few innings.  A-Gon hit two home-runs.  It was a team win.

The Dodgers just have to win out to have any hope.

46 Responses to “Barely breathing”

Here comes the last 10 days of this ridiculously frustrating season.

Or here comes the craziest 10 days of our Dodger lives!!!!

2. Billy says:

Win or lose, I’ll be happy if they play the rest of this season with the sense of urgency they displayed today.

3. JOSEPH OLIVAS says:

agreed with billy

4. the truth hurts says:

to little to late…

if this team understood the concept of urgency they would have started weeks ago

don’t be fooled by these lifeless underachievers

5. Rob says:

Keeping the faith until the end! If the bats finally start showing up then we should finish strong.

There is some truth in all of the above.

Dodger fans should continue to hope and pull for these guys in the final few games of the season that they win them all and maybe, just maybe, get that final spot.

But, looking at this team, they have not been playing with any sense of urgency for over a month now. Laid back, not moving runners along, very few key base hits, and very very very little power.

But if the ship goes down for 2012, at least they have to give it a hearty try.

5-5 during last 10 games – A lot to celebrate?

Just a .500 team like somebody? said they would be in early April.

A third of Gonzo’s at bats against that RED’s pitcher are HRs.

The dodgers have proved that they do not deseerve any faith from their fans but only deserve “logical positivism”

I Hope that there is a lot of change after November 1st

8. Nedsucks says:

Did Dee Gordon just become a elite trade chip after last night?

Weekly Report
    Why are there always a lot more position (13) players than Pitchers (12) on the list of Chokers?

7 Days
    Choate 27.00
    Wright 9.00
    Cappy 5.40
    Guerrier 5.40

Players of the WEEK :)
    Uribe 1.000 (2 for 2 in the last month-Donnie picking good match ups?)
    Punto 1.000
    Treanor .500

Mr. Softee Awards
    Rivera .000 6 ABs
    Gordon .000 1 AB (Made up for his AVE w/his ARM):)
    Ellis A .071

Beckett 3.45 #3
    Fife 3.60 #4
    Blanton 4.11 #4
    Harang 4.62 #5
    Cappy 5.93 Long Reliever

10. Gonzo says:

Badger welcome back. The Dodgers are winners in my book regardless of the outcome of the season. I wear my Dodger gear proudly now because I know that the ship is being righted. And it is only a matter of time before the Dodgers are the flagship of the national league – again.

If it were previous years when a certain owner who I will not name was busy making chlorine free swimming pools would not waste a penny on improving the infrastructure of the organization. Yeah he had a a few seasons under his watch where the team made the playoffs but never made an effort to plug up the holes needed to be an elite team.

I still believe in this team and even though they did not learn to how to play together, this is only a speed bump if you’re a bigger picture type of person. If you chose to be on the side of the sky is falling it is your right. Rest assured that since we root for the same team I and the other optimists on this board will save a seat for you on the wagon.

I saw on another site a fake Ned quote “In hindsight I think it was a mistake to have Dee work with Steve Sax in Spring Training..”

I love it!

I want to see the boys finish strong. Come playoffs or not. Show us fans that we have a reason to believe that next year will be our year!

I guess I have figured out this choke thing:

The Dodgers are not Chokers. They just slump in the clutch, but they don\’t choke.

Midgets are not short, they are just vertically challenged. I do not have a bald spot – some of my head is just follically challenged.

I am sorry that I was too stupid to figure out that the Dodgers really didn\’t choke.

I am so glad that they aren\’t chokers. What a relief.

That is not the sun. It is just a bright spot in the atmosphere. I get it now.

I will root for the Dodgers until then end. I\’ll watch every inning. I hope they win out. I hope they make the playoffs, but I will be absolutely astounded if they do. I really hope I am wrong.

14. JERRY says:

well for all you Gordon fan…he need to stay in the minor..that where he belong…he is the type of player that will cost the dodger many games.yes he has speed ..but that it, i dont want him learning at the major league level.

15. Kevin says:

Hey Jerry learn to use the letter “s” It really comes in handy when you are trying to say things like “for all you Gordon fan(s)”, “he need(s) to stay in the minors”, “that(s) where he belong(s)”, “He is the type of player that will cost the dodger(s) many games”, “yes he has speed….but that(s) it”

Jerry, I can name you a bunch of Dodger starting 8 players who played in August and September, and with the stuff they showed us –

MOST OF THEM COULD SPEND SOME TIME IN THE MINORS.

17. JERRY says:

kevin…i not a good speller..but some time my finger dont hit the key hard enough ..and letters get left out, but you new what i was talking about..i dont care that you pick me apart.it about one person,s views.

• Gionfriddo says:

Jerry, I understood everything you said.. This is NOT a college English class so don’t worry about that crap.. Keep posting, my man.. Go Blue

Jerry,

Don\’t worry about it. We know what you are talking about. We all have different abilities. I can spell, but I can\’t touch type due to a hand/finger injury. I\’m a speed-reader, so I make my share of typos because I read too fast to catch them.

It\’s not a big deal.

Don\’t let it get to you.

Peace out!

I like you Jerry!

20. Reggie says:

Yes, the Dodgers have not choked. They have just had to deal with their inner child and everything will be OK once next year starts because I said so and I will wish it so. Just never say anything bad.
    As Mark would say:

JACKWAGONS!

What I find now — it is not choking or anything else . . .

. . . it is feeling embarrassment when I go out and see other friends that talk baseball and are rooting for other teams.

They say things like what happened to your Dodgers, or, who else are you going to bring in . . .

I have Cardinals friends, Reds friends, Giants friends, Yankees friends, Phillies friends, even Astros friends and Rangers friends — and they all are more concerned with their teams, but want to put the needle in on the Dodgers.

Of late, my first line of attach is: we lost our first three starting pitchers. That usually brings out in them, gee I did not know that. I understand, they say.

• DodgerDude says:

We may have lost our first three starters, but it was our choke artist hitters (not our pitching) who only have averaged 2.5 runs a game since the trade who have killed us. Tell them the truth, Dude. The Dodgers are choke artists!

What Gonzo said.

We get on each other here once in a while because of differences of opinion. I just think it’s not very polite to criticize someone’s spelling. I’ve seen plenty of spelling, grammatical, and contextual errors on this and other sites. And I always just ignore them. In the vast majority of cases I get what the person is saying, and where I don’t, well, so what. Because I do this stuff extemporaneously, I read over what I write before hitting the submit button. But even doing that, I occasionally miss an error, be it a typo or something else. Big deal, I’m not perfect, and neither is anyone else. Besides, it doesn’t cost anything to be nice, or at least to not be bad.

23. Rob says:

It doesn’t matter if we win out because the cardinals just keep on winning

• Jae says:

But it’s just that they are not slumping like us. It’s not choking.

I can’t stand the B.S. some of you propound. You use eloquent words, but you are just plain stupid. Of course the Dodgers have choked.

Quit making excuses. Get over it already.

It’s a pure, unadulterated choke job.

• Gionfriddo says:

Jae,

You complain about those using eloquent words and then you break out propound and unadulterated in the same post!! Shut the front door!! And you are calling others jackwagons?? You’re too much..

Finally, you top it off with the time honored 3rd grade smackdown label of STUPID!! hey, the debate is OVER, you win with that one…

And actually, Gordon has a lot more than speed. But yes, he’s still a bit raw. However, after this year he definitely has a much better idea what he needs to do to correct things (his strong performance at the end of last year may have lulled him into thinking he didn’t have all that much to correct). He’s a good athlete and a hard worker. I expect to see better come next year. But that’s next year, so we’ll just have to wait and see. Of course, if as was suggested, the Rays decide to unload David Price (former unsigned Dodger draftee) and ask for Dee, I’d make that deal in an LA/NY minute. And so, I imagine, would the Dodgers. With their resources, finding another shortstop probably would be a lot easier than finding a pitcher of Price’s caliber.

As for this year. Give the kid a break. Thumb injuries have got to be among the worse to recover from. And it was to his right thumb, the one on his throwing hand. Why do you think Mattingly has for the most part limited him to pinch running? He understands that Dee needs the offseason and spring training to fully recover, especially on defense where his throwing is likely to suffer due to the thumb. Mattingly has indicated that he likes Dee a lot. He just understands that a true test of Gordon’s worth to the team is not likely to occur until he’s 100% next year.

And yes, if the Dodgers decided to move Gordon to 2B, I’d have no problem with it. Good range at 2B is also very important. For now, I just think that Gordon has to play. His defense will get better, his hitting will improve, and he’ll also learn to better use his speed.

Jae,

Some of us eloquent folk are just plain, insufferably dull-witted. And what’s worse, we just keep on perseverating about the same old stupid stuff. Must be the persistent dementia that some of us are compelled to endure. Or is it that we’re no satisfied with simple answers to that which we perceive to be less than obvious? Maybe we’re completely deluding ourselves. Problem is, I beg to think not.

26. Gonzo says:

Mark you forgot to mention that a unicorn without a horn is a magical horse. Personally I’m done with the choke and and non choke thing. Just admit you’re wrong;-).

Oh and Kevin, feel free to spell check this.

27. Billy says:

Does anyone here think that they haven’t choked in the last few weeks? I’m pretty sure we’re all in agreeance. They certainly had the tools to succeed, and in fact played better without them. The chemistry of the team changed after the trades. Fact. Numbers don’t lie. I think the team’s sense of urgency dropped when they got some good players because they figured they were a shoe-in. Obviously not the case.
    If we could answer these questions with 100% certainty we wouldn’t be chiming in on a blog on the internet, we’d be on some ball club’s payroll helping call shots. Thats the magic of baseball. It’s unpredictable. If all you had to do was dump payroll into a team to win a world series people would have lost interest a long time ago.

At least Donnie is better than Ozzie

Are the dodgers the only NL Choke Team?

Colorado – No, Lots of injuries
    San Diego – No, Lots of young players
    Arizona – Maybe
    Houston – No, Just a AAA team
    Cubs – Probably
    Pirates – Absolutely Yes
    Miami – Yes
    Mets – Yes

Great reads in here today. Still on the road now in S.F. Great place to visit but a lousy place for baseball.

Gonzo and Brooklyn, well said as always. Mark, your sarcasm noted, and your point about not playing well accepted, why is so impossible for you to accept a different definition of “choke”? Choking to some of us means that when all the dust has settled, the team did not come through in the clutch. This team in case you didn’t know it, is still in the chase. They just played two division winners, teams that were trying to clinch at home, and they actually held there own against them. I will wait until the season ends before I pass judgment.

Gordon needs time. He is still a rookie as far as I am concerned. I don’t trade him. Second base is fine by me.

30. Anonymous says:

Come on Mark, you dumbass. Just because the Dodgers dropped 10 games behind in a month and averaged 2-1/2 runs a game, they did not choke.

Call it what it is – they are just misunderstood.

31. Bobbie17 says:

The Optimists must love “misunderstood” and “logical positivism.” Put any label you want on it, they are nonwinners– unless .500 is winning. Or to be less nice, the are

LOSERS. The first comments about lack of urgency are right on. Does this manager appear to have an urgent bone in his body? He’s a Yankee, after all. They don’t need urgency. Blue does.

• Ken says:

Maybe you should reread the sentence in which I used the phrase “legal positism” and then find a good definition of the phrase. “Legal positism” is not similar to “Faith”

We’re not optimists about this season in particular, although unlike some of the pessimists, we’re not quitters, and haven’t given up that the Dodgers could conceivably sweep the rest of the season, and hope that the Cardinals and Brewers each lose at least 3 more. Not likely, but also not out of the realm of possibility.

But the pessimists on this site seem to miss the point. What we’re most optimistic about is the full 180 degree turn the Dodgers have made. After years of having to live with the impecunious Mr. McCourt, the Dodgers have turned the corner, and are now pointed in what appears to be a hopeful direction. They’re investing again in player development, willing to use their money to take care of immediate needs, and in general giving us hope that they’re serious about building a championship caliber team. Chances are that without a miracle, it won’t take hold this season. But we can, at the very least, expect an active winter, and we have hope that this years acquisitions will finally bear fruit next year. That is, unless you think Matt Kemp is beginning a long run of injuries, that Adrian Gonzalez is in the midst of an inexorable decline, Carl Crawford is finished, and that Josh Beckett has no more to contribute, even at the back end of the rotation. And some of us still believe in Dee Gordon, and that we may even have some players in our minor league system who may contribute next year. And we believe that there will be additional acquisitions during the offseason, probably via trades and free agent signings. In other words, us optimists believe that this team now has both the resources and desire to build a championship caliber team. Call us the Yankees of the West or whatever pleases you, but understand that the Dodgers are finally relevant again, and a power in baseball to be reckoned with.

YES, WE’RE OPTIMISTIC. AND RIGHTFULLY SO!!!!!!!!!!

33. Bobbie17 says:

Relevancy begins and ends between the lines, not in the accountant’s office. The future is the future, and in the future, anything is possible. Ask Cubs fans. Let’s hope the Yankees of the West aren’t the Cubs of the West. That, too, is possible in the future.

Speaking of next year a little information about some free agent pitchers that I think should be looked into (I DID NOT SAY SIGNED, JUST LOOKED INTO):

Name and 2012 ERA+
    Price 147 (Arbitration)
    Kuroda 125
    Joe Saunders 99/121
    Greinke 119/108
    Edwin Jackson 107
    James Shields 105 (2013 club option)
    Dempster 179/102
    Anibal Sanchez 101/92
    Kevein Correia 92

35. Bball says:

I’ll add Kyle lohse to that list too

A rival GM said this:

“The Dodgers are a Fortune 500 team. They spent a fortune to play .500″

Great, we’re the butt of all jokes now

37. Billy says:

If Cruz doesn’t have a spot on the team next year I’m gonna be pissed. That dude plays like he needs the job, so keep him.