A whole bunch of stuff…

• I am happy that the Dodgers are winning, but they started winning when they no longer had control of their own destiny. Don’t pretend you don’t get that.  Don’t hate on me – I am just pointing out the obvious.
  • The first order of business in the offseason will be to sign Zach Greinke.  It’s a warning shot to Arte Moreno and the rest of MLB that the Dodgers will do ANYTHING to get what they need, and that Arte is the LA little brother.
  • The second order of business will be to trade Andre Ethier.  He has value and I am not sure who the Dodgers might want, but how about one of the following:  Aaron Hill or David Wright?  I’m sure there would have to be more players involved, and maybe even a three or four team deal, but the Dodgers know that Joc Pederson is no more than a year away.  Make the move now and sign Victorino for two years or someone else.
  • By the way, Yasiel Puig may not be the heir apparent to the RF spot – Joc Pederson will start next season at AA ball and is on a fast track.  He’s a 5-tool player.  This guy may be better than Puig.  Pederson is a guy who can play any OF spot, steal 30 bases, hit 30 HR and bat .300.
  • Would you trade Puig, Zack Lee and Gordon for David Price?  I would and so would Tampa Bay.
  • Who knew?  Hiroki Kuroda is having  his career year.  He is 15-11 with a 3.34 ERA with the lowest WHIP and BA of his career.  He has eclipsed his previous record in innings pitched and strikeouts.  He has been outstanding this year.  I retrospect, the Dodgers should have signed him, but if I were Ned I would not have signed him either.  He’s almost 38 – who knew he could hold up and pitch well over 200 innings at this level?
  • Why all the hate for Aaron Harang and Chris Capuano?  They are excellent #4 and #5 starters and they will likely be back one more season.  The Dodgers could do a lot worse.  I’m not going to print their stats, but look them up and get back with me if you disagree.  Not many teams have a better #4 and #5… which brings me to next season.  The guy that you all are drooling for  (Zach Greinke) has not been unlike Capuano or Harang this year.  Look at their stats and you almost can’t tell them apart!  However, Zach has ACE potential and they don’t.
  • OK, but the Dodgers could trade either one or both, for some value.  Pitchers with those stats and that low salary level don’t grow on trees.
  • That said, I think the Dodgers will sign Zach Greinke for crazy money (because they have to).  Kershaw has the hip problem that will obviously need surgery.  Chad Billingsley’s elbow is hanging on by a thread and Ted Lilly will also be recovering from surgery.  Kenley Jansens’ heart problem will cause the Dodgers to sign Fernando Rodney as well.
  • Right now. money is no object.  That scares me a lot.  Yes, I said that!
  • Consider this lineup and rotation next year:
  1. Crawford  LF

Rotation:

1. Kershaw
  2. Price
  3. Greinke
  4. Capuano
  5. Lilly/Harang

51 Responses to “A whole bunch of stuff…”

1. Bball says:

I personally think it would be stupid to trade ethier. But that’s just my opinion. And I also don’t think wright will be available. I’m very happy with the offense. I would try for lohse and greinke. Just me

• Mark_Timmons says:

I have no problem with opinions. I have plenty.

I just have problems with people who have opinions and want to bash others\’ opinions.

Lohse scares me, but you may be right.

Peace.

Posted this at the end of the last thread.

And, of course, to get Price the Dodgers would likely have to include more than Gordon and Ethier, since the latter would probably be going to the third team. This is all very complicated, and would likely take some creativity, which I’m sure Kasten, and even Colletti, are not lacking.”

So yes, I would make the deal you propose for Price. However, I do not consider Victorino an adequate replacement for Ethier in the outfield, so like Badger suggested in the previous thread, I’d look to include other teams in the deal and get someone like McCutchen, Justin Upton, or their like, if Ethier is traded. Obviously the deal could include other Dodger prospects, and I’d include them, depending on what was received in return. This would likely get B17 extremely upset, but if I could get a young star in return, I think the price would be worth it. With their resources, the Dodgers will be adding to the prospect pipeline, even if we don’t know the names yet. So I might even include Joc Pedersen as well, since in fact, we really don’t know what he might do as he starts moving up the ladder. He might or Puig, or both, might turn out to be stars. But there is a world of difference between A-ball and AA and AAA, and most especially, the big leagues. Again, I’m not talking about including these prospects in a deal for some aging star. I want a proven young star in return. How about an outfield of Crawford, Kemp and McCutchen, or perhaps, Crawford, Kemp and Upton.

And as I noted in the last thread, I’d like to see the Dodgers sign Victorino as a 4th outfielder, if he’s willing. His price has probably dropped, but he’d still be an expensive 4th outfielder. It’s something the Dodgers can afford, and certainly better than having a Tony Gwynn type. He could start the season in place of the rehabbing Crawford, and when Crawford is ready to play, he could be a super sub at all three outfield positions. He’d be protection against injury, and would help keep everyone in the outfield fresh. And he would add speed.

Agree about Greinke. Probably Rodney also, although I don’t really know too much about him, and will therefore withhold my judgment.

And I won’t comment any further on your opening remarks except to say that I don’t get it, and it’s not obvious to me. But that’s me. Obviously we come from different mindsets. Who knows. Maybe we’re both right, or maybe we’re both wrong. In any case, we just don’t agree.

• Mark_Timmons says:

I’m fine with that.

I’m just a bottom line person. I don’t make excuses and don\’t like excuses. Get the job done or get out is my mantra.

3. Bball says:

Also. Price would be awesome but I’m thinking free agents. I don’t want to give up anybody else. At least not till next years trade deadline. Then we can see what the dodgers need to do

4. Bball says:

Mark I how u don’t think I’m bashing you. Not my intention

Feel free to disagree all you want. Just don\’t call me names.

;)

6. Gionfriddo says:

I’m fine with your plan– Greinke I believe is a must with Bills all but certain to need TJ surgery. Ethier’s inability to hit LH is here to stay IMO.. if he was going to change course on this inefficiency it would have happened already. Pederson and Puig will both start the year in AA Chattanooga and it should be interesting to follow their continued development.

Mark, I don’t know why you continue to put Greinke in the same vein as Harang and Capuano.. No name calling is required I agree, but it’s simply not true.. Did you happen to see what Greinke did this past Tuesday?? First SP since the DEAD BALL ERA to strike out 13 in 5 innings or less. Thats right, the dead ball era!! For the record, he went today and took a ND– He ended up the year with 200 K’s on the nose with a 15-5 record and 3.42 era.. Harang is 10-10, Cap is 12-11.. You can slice it up however you wish, but there’s not ONE GM, pitching coach, or advance scout who would dare put those 2 on the same level with Greinke (this year or any prior year).. Greinke does not have ace potential– he is an ACE who has a Cy Young sitting on his mantle at home.

• Mark_Timmons says:

I don\’t rank Greinke with Caps and Harang. I said he has Ace potential, but he has certainly underperformed at times. His last effort was impressive, but his stats are not a lot better than Capuano and Harang. He would be a solid #2 for te Dodgers and I am down with getting him, however his past mental issues are a concern.

• Gionfriddo says:

Agree with you there, Mark.. The social anxiety disorder is the elephant in the room when you’re talking that type of contract (6 yrs/120+ mill).. Do I want him? Yes, but, they need to be 100% sure Greinke wants to be a Dodger.. Time will tell.

Haven’t seen Greinke pitch in quite a while. I’m not sure I consider him an Ace, but it appears as if he’s pretty good. In this day and age, a 3.42 is very good. And I imagine it would be somewhat better pitching in the pitchers parks that predominate in the NL West (Petco, Dodger Stadium, AT@T). And I agree with friddo that he’s necessary to replace Billingsley, and that he’s definitely as step up (probably more than a step) from Harang and Capuano, who by the way will both turn 35 next year. And once you get to the playoffs, pitching becomes paramount. And by the way, Greinke will not turn 30 until October of next year. And we’ve seen in the case of Capuano, that he’s not the same pitcher in the second half. In fact, given his history of second half meltdowns, perhaps Capuano would be best suited to work out of the pen as a long man and/or a lefty specialist.

I’m going to assume that neither Capuano or Harang have a no trade clause in their contracts. If so, I think they could both be considered trade bait, even if the Dodgers have to eat some of their contracts.

And I too don’t see why the Dodgers would want to give up prospects to get David Wright. I still think that Hanley Ramirez is perfectly suited for the position, and that he would have no problem making the move. He really seems to enjoy playing for the Dodgers, and I doubt if he has any inclination to make any trouble. I also get the feeling that he wants to win, and thinks he can with LA. My preference now is Dee Gordon at short, Hanley at 3B, and a competition at 2B, with Luis Cruz in the mix with Mark Ellis. Let’s keep in mind that Ellis will turn 36 next June. Besides, if Cruz isn’t a one year wonder, he’s probably preferable when compared to Ellis.

And while I would definitely include Gordon in a trade for David Price, that doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. So for now, he’s my preference at short. If he’s actually traded, then the Dodgers could seek a shortstop in a trade or via free agency. Marco Scutaro might be available, but he’ll be 38 sometime next year.

One other thing. Don’t think that Luis Cruz isn’t trade bait. In fact, it could turn out that that would be the smart thing to do. Right now, given the year he’s had, and given the fact that he’s in his late 20′s, it’s possible this might be a window of opportunity for the Dodgers to capitalize on his performance this year.

Bills – TJ Surgery?
    Lilly – Shoulder Surgery?
    Jansen – Heart Surgery?
    Guerrier – Elbow Surgery?

Elbert – Had Elbow surgery
    Coffee – Had TJ surgery

Yes the dodgers definitely need to work on signing more pitchers. The dodgers also need to shore up their bench with a better C. I am ok with the 8 starting position players for next year and place the retooling of the 8 starting position players as a much lower priority than pitching. Much less choking will occur next year!

Pitching, Pitching, Pitching. And a lot of off season endurance training for everyone.

I really like what Ned said yesterday about having extra position players is never a problem because it creates competition. So yea, Gordon can just compete for a position as the starting 2B, SS, 3B, or LF :). The best will eventually rise to the top and the average will not.

Greinke has finally proved that he can pitch in a high stress environment and therefore is now worth pursuing. I predict that the Rays will not execise their option ($8 mil?) on Shields and he will be available. I would kick those tires.

Put Beckett and Harang on a real off season workout program and their innings per game just may go up one inning per game thus placing less stress on the bullpen. Fife, Lilly or Capuano as the long reliever next year.

The dodgers need a better backup C and AJ needs to be limited to 115-120 games spaced appropriately throughout the year. I am ok starting the year with Rivera and Gwynn in LF for 2 months, and Punto and Hairston backing up the IFs. Never sign a bench player with a no trade clause in their contract.

I guess that we can no longer talk about mental or emotional Choking because the California legislature is going to pass a new law prohibiting anyone from talking ill of the mentally or emotionally challenged. :)

That is ok because the dodgers are just going to press the rewind button and mime 2-3 of the games that they lost and turn those games into victories resulting in them making the playoffs. :)

The weekly 7 day CHOKE Report sure is short this week HURRAH!

10 players batted .300 or above for the week

Gordon .000 1 AB
    Treanor .000 4 AB
    Herrera .143

12 pitchers had an ERA of 1.69 or below for the week

Tolleson 13.50
    Belisario 8.10

10. Donnie D'oh! says:

“If you’ve got stuff going on, it doesn’t mean you can’t play and do some things.”

“I don’t know what’s going to happen next year.”

I don’t know what is going to happen either.

Why would the Pirates trade McCutcheon?

Why would Tampa take on Puig’s money? Nobody knows if he is any good yet. Puig and Pederson are prospects that haven’t even succeeded in AA yet. If you are going after Price, you will have to do better than that.

All those guys having surgery? I hadn’t read that. Heart surgery huh? Sounds serious.

Where is Gordon playing this winter?

Harang Capuano Beckett Blanton Lilly are all 3 through 5 pitchers. You can never have enough of them. We still need a legit #2. Could one of them be it? Sure they could. But I would still put Grienke at the top of the must-get list.

“I guess that we can no longer talk about mental or emotional Choking because the California legislature is going to pass a new law prohibiting anyone from talking ill of the mentally or emotionally challenged,” Ken

If that happens, then we will have to tone down what we say about some people in here.

“Of course the dodgers are already over the salary cap limit, creating more excise tax, so they do actually need to be careful with the amount of additional contracts they execute this off season.” Ken

Somehow I don’t think this group is all that concerned about paying taxes. Some people realize taxes are the price you pay to live and operate in the United States of America. I think it’s worth it. Some don’t.

Why must we focus on what’s wrong Ken? Surgery. The weekly Choke Report? Why don’t you give us your updates on what is right? The last 7 days both Kemp and Gonzalez are hitting .458.

I think I am going to win my 500 push-up bet. Frankly, I can’t even recall who I made it with, but whoever it was likely won’t do them. Last year, when Mark lost the bet, he told me he did them in one day. Anyone believe that? I haven’t lost any of those bets yet, but if I did I am sure it would take me 3 days to get them all in. Shoulders aren’t what they used to be.

• ken says:

O Magoo you’ve done it again

“10 players batted .300 or above for the week”

“12 pitchers had an ERA of 1.69 or below for the week”

Why can’t you see the positive that I write or the humor that I write? :)

The more players that are Choking, the more coaches that are choking – I think that Ned calling out the coaches last week has turned around the team and there is now real hope for next year. My choke report has always been explicitly about the players and implicitly about the coaches.

• Gionfriddo says:

Ned calling out the coaches last week (if that report is even valid–which I doubt is) has turned the team around?? Ever wonder if Ned did chew some ass, why he waited til the end of September? If you rationalize the idea it’s absurd.

Matt Kemp is 11-20 with 5 HR during this 5 game winning streak– this is the main reason for the stoppage of the “choke” banter. We can debate til the cows come home where Kemps hot streak came from– I tend to think the effects of the cortisone shot in his shoulder on Sep 9 finally began to work in conjuction with the pain easing in said shoulder, along with the pain in his knee slowly going away..

12. Bobbie17 says:

Other than Peterson and Puig, does any minor leaguer have a chance to make this roster. How about the third baseman, Josh Fields? What happened to John Ely? I like Paco. He came from out of nowhere. Let’s look to the minor leagues. I know that is not fashionable, but I would look there first. That’s a whole lot harder than buying “a sure thing.” It’s still the way to go, long term.

I said. “Thinking about a third team in a deal that includes Ethier. Is Andrew McCuthchen available? After all, there will come a time when the Pirates can’t afford him. Since he probably signed a big league contract, I am guessing that Yasiel Puig likely doesn’t fall in the category of recently signed players who can’t be traded for a year. Get me McCuthchen, and I’d include Puig in the deal, even paying the entire $42 million over the next 6 or 7 years.

Badger, I asked a question. I really don’t think McCutchen is available, but, you never know. And in a deal that included Puig, I suggested that the Dodgers pick up the $42 million, not Tampa Bay or the Pirates. But if a deal could be worked out whereby the Dodgers got Price and a player like McCutchen or Justin Upton (another long shot), I’d include Gordon, Puig, Pedersen, Zach Lee, and probably another player or two. If McCutchen and Upton are players that their current teams will have trouble paying over time, maybe they could become available, if the package in return is strong enough. Not likely, but it never hurts to ask.

14. Gonzo says:

Ever since the Dodgers signed Puig and then got Crawford I’ve said that Ethier would be the odd man out. Buster Olney recently wrote in one of his columns that TB would listen to offers for David Price. For those that don’t know the Dodgers drafted him out of high school but he decided to go to school and you know the rest.

Joc Pederson’s story reminds me a lot about Kemp’s road to the bigs. He looks like the real deal. I hope that the team gives Paco a shot to make the team next year. Who knows, he may surprise people and take over the closers role. He seems to have that it factor.

Greinke hasn’t signed with the California Angels because he and every FA know that the Dodgers will make it worth their while to listen. So when does Kasten back up the truck to Kershaw’s house. The kid has left it out on the field and carried the team. It’s his money and he needs it now.

15. voldomer says:

I’d love to see McCutcheon in blue, but he is signed to a relatively team-friendly contract through 2017 (with a reasonable option for 2018, his age 31 season). He made $500K this year and the deal maxes out at $14.75M.

B17, building the farm system is the way to go “long term”. But to win now the Dodgers have to do more than think long term. They’ve already begun re-stocking the farm system by re-entering the McCourt ignored international market. Fields is not a long term or a short term answer. He’s a professional minor league player, and nothing more. Unless, of course, you’re expecting to have lightning strike twice, and find another Luis Cruz (assuming that this wasn’t his career year). John Ely? Maybe he’ll figure it out. But unless you have your head in a hole in the ground, you’d realize he’s nothing to get excited about. Paco Rodriguez? Maybe he’ll turn out to be good. But for now, I don’t see anything very special. He generally throws between 87-91, hitting 92 or 93 on rare occasions. Looks to have decent breaking stuff. I still haven’t seen what I would consider an exceptional change. He’s young, and relatively inexperienced, so maybe over time he’ll develop. But for now, like I said, there’s nothing very special, and nothing that I see that hitters won’t be able to figure out over time.

If the Dodgers are to find success next year they’re going to have to spend on pitching this winter, and hope that we get the offense that should be expected from Kemp, Gonzalez, Ramirez and company. The Dodger farm system has some prospects, but it’s not overflowing with talent. That will take years to fix. In the meantime, the Dodgers need to use their economic strength to fill the holes via the trade route and via free agency. In time the revamped minor league system will begin to kick in with a steady pipeline of talent. But for now, there’s just not enough there to turn this team around. That doesn’t mean there’s nothing, just not enough to make difference at this time without outside help.

Thanks voldomer. No way McCutchen is on the market if that’s what he’s making and is going to make. I also think that Upton has a relatively team friendly deal. So probably both of those players are out of play. So much for those thoughts.

If the Dodgers were to trade Ethier, I wonder if they would consider entering the Josh Hamilton sweepstakes this winter. I understand the baggage that Hamilton is carrying, and I also understand that he hasn’t always been the picture of health, and that he will be 32 next year. But he does hit lefthanders, and certainly has unmistakable power. I’m not recommending the Dodgers go after him, and I’m not recommending they don’t. Hopefully the Dodgers will do their due diligence, and make their own decision.

18. Bobbie17 says:

Brooklyn: Ely is the PCL Pitcher of the Year! That’s all. He has to be given an strong
    shot in Spring Training. Not just here and there. He’s no bullpen guy because he pitches to contact. No walks. The way I see it: Greinke’s wins vs. Ely’s wins if both are given 30 starts, maybe Grienke has 4-5 more. Is it worth it? I don’t think so. Paco ripped up the entire farm system this year and was lights out in the Bigs as a bullpen specialist. I say keep him in that spot, for one or two guys ’3-4 times a week.
    Look no further.

19. Rob says:

20. Gionfriddo says:

McCutchen talk is good stuff on here but I’m with Brooklyn, it’s highly doubtful if he’s made available this offseason– but then again after the BoSox deal I tend to think anything is possible. For now, it will be Crawford, Kemp, and Ethier in OF assuming Ethier IS NOT dealt– IF Crawford is ready come opening day, that is. If not, I’m going to beat this drum early and often– I don’t want to see Gwynn Jr starting in LF on opening day if Crawford can’t go. Yes, we are on the hook for Gwynn Jr’s ’13 salary to the tune of 1.15 mill but I’d rather they cut him a check and say have a nice day. Have an open competition in spring amongst Castellanos, a healthy Alfredo Silverio (hopefully he’s healed up from the car crash and subsequent TJ surgery), or sign a super utility guy like a Scott Hairston to add to the mix. Hairston would come fairly cheap and would be our 4th OF once Crawford is ready (his 19 HR this year is impressive).

In regards to our pen– I trust that Jansen will be 100% healthy and if he is I still want us to resign Brandon League. In the event that Jansen has more complications, I still go with League over Rodney. League is 6 years younger and if you look at his #’s after his first 3 outings with LA he’s been nothing short of lights out. Jansen, League, Belisario, a more mature Tolleson to go with the lefty tandem of Elbert and Paco Rod will be very strong… That would leave Guerra, Guerrier and others (Ames, Wall, Red Patterson, Fife, Ely) to fight for the remaining 1-2 spots in the pen, depending if they go with 12 or 13 arms to start April.

21. Eric says:

Mark
    What do you do with Beckett. It seems contractually he is an albatross. I agree that this would be the time to trade Ethier. But a team like Tampa is not going to want to pay his contract.

If you trade Ethier for pitching and have Kemp and Shane in the outfield — I believe Crawford will not be ready for a month or two. Then we are not sure he can bring his game back to par when he tee’s it up again.

Then, you, what, have AAA fill in’s??

Maybe . . .

Mark, you almost had it, I guess that makes Bills a “hanging Chad”.

If we go down at least we went down fighting.

Playing GM, and that is what this is all about . . .

Last winter, I would have signed Jim Thome to be on the bench and then DH for the Inter-league games, and for the post season.

If not Thome, then some other seasoned hitter that can hit the ball out. Not just a usual Dodger bench warmer that we usually have like Gwynn or some infielder.

I think it has been some time now, since we have had a real HR threat to win a game off the bench in the late innings or extra innings.

A Matt Stairs type of hitter. A manager needs that in his planning.

25. Gonzo says:

Beckett needs to get on an offseason conditioning program. If he were to lose 15 lbs and run twice what he’s running now, he’d be lights out and more than likely gain a few PH on his fastball. He hasn’t lost his stuff; he’s just gotten lazy. A recommitted Beckett would pay huge dividens. The question now is, is he commited to doing this?

So the Dodgers will use Aaron Harang to try and stay alive in the Wild Card chase. And have to beat Matt Cain in doing so.

Hey, Aaron, best pitch a 1 or 2 hitter tonight. The entire Dodger nation is looking in over your shoulder as the game begins.

27. Gionfriddo says:

Josh Beckett as a Dodger– 7 starts. 2-3, 2.93 era. In his 3 losses the Dodgers have scored a total of 3 runs. 6 of those 7 starts he has turned in quality starts.

At the very least Beckett has done what he was supposed to do as a 14 million $$ SP in a pennant race. Recommitted?? Don’t think so, he has done his job.. Beckett will be 33 next May and the drop in velocity is to be expected after nearly 2K innings in the bigs.. Guys nearing their mid 30′s don’t retain that 95-97 gas unless they are freaks of nature (Nolan Ryan) or they have had synthetic help (Roger Clemens).. He battles and has kept the Blue in every game he has pitched in..

“Ely is the PCL Pitcher of the Year! That’s all.”

That’s exciting. And here’s your 2011 PCL Pitcher of the Year.

“The way I see it: Greinke’s wins vs. Ely’s wins if both are given 30 starts, maybe Grienke has 4-5 more. Is it worth it? I don’t think so.”

Am I missing something here? Are you comparing Ely favorably to the former Cy Young award winner Greinke? I’ll admit, Greinke is probably not the pitcher he was when he won that award, but surely he hasn’t slipped to Ely’s level. But I forget, Ely was the PCL pitcher of the year.

“Paco ripped up the entire farm system this year and was lights out in the Bigs as a bullpen specialist.”

I don’t think 19.2 innings in the minor leagues and 6.2 innings in the big leagues qualifies anyone as having ripped through anything or being lights out anywhere. I’ll admit he had good stats, and even looked as though he could conceivably develop into a reliable left handed specialist. And while his stuff didn’t impress me as being anything special, there’s no reason to believe he can’t develop into a solid lefty out of the pen. And I understand that pitching is more than just having electric stuff. However, on the other hand, his work up until now represents a very small sample size, and certainly not enough to tell us what he might do once hitters get accustomed to him. I mean, given his work load this year, how many hitters actually got to hit against him multiple times?

In summary, just because you might think that Ely and Paco Rodriguez are the greatest things since sliced bread, I remain a lot more skeptical. And because I don’t see anything special about either one, I’d rather bet on more proven commodities like Greinke, and maybe even Price. And again I ask, are there any pitchers of interest coming out of Japan this winter?

“I say keep him in that spot, for one or two guys ’3-4 times a week.
    Look no further.”

I admit that I might be getting a bit dense with old age. So much so, that I don’t even understand what that last sentence means. However, I will say this. Why “Look no further”, when you finally have the resources to do so

I prefer to go along with Rob who says, “I am just happy we are in the discussion when it comes to signing free agents and improving the team. What a difference a year makes.” Try to imagine where the Dodgers might be today if ownership had changed in time for the Dodgers to participate in free agency last season. Prince Fielder would probably be at first base, Loney would never have been an issue this year, Adrian Gonzalez would probably still be in Boston, and it’s very likely that the Dodgers would have clinched the Western Division.

Mistakes can be made, money can be misspent, and the Dodgers are guaranteed nothing. But at least they’re in the conversation, which to me is the biggest change of all. I can’t imagine how any Dodger fan would be upset with that.

I’ll second what friddo just said about Beckett. He’s done a nice job with the Dodgers, and I see no reason why he can’t be a solid starter at the middle or the end of the rotation. He’s not being counted on to be an ace. If the Dodgers score, and Beckett gives us next year what he’s given us this year, then he serves an important role in the rotation.

30. Gionfriddo says:

Well said, Brooklyn.

“Try to imagine where the Dodgers might be today if ownership had changed in time for the Dodgers to participate in FA last season.”

Let’s see where we might be– no dumpster diving on Juan Rivera, TGJR, Adam Kennedy, etc. etc… Fielder would be at 1st base (30,108, .407 OBP%) which would mean the loss of Loney’s prodigious 5 HR outburst thus far in ’12. Kasten and Co probably would have out bid the Brewers for Aramis Ramirez as well to man 3B (.299, 27,103) which would have robbed us of seeing Uribe go below the Mendoza line..

On the pitching side I’m quite certain the Blue would have made serious runs at CJ Wilson and Mark Buehrle.. All are what if’s and pure speculation but thank goodness from here on out we have Guggs and Co and not that carpetbagger, McJackass..

We need to get Al Albuquerque. No brainer

32. jeff says:

If the Rays would do Puig, Lee and Gordon for Price that deal needs to be made yesterday. Don’t want Rodney in any way last time he was out west with the Angels he was terrible. I would rather take a chance on League.

33. ken says:

League = 98 mph, sign him up for 2013

34. Bball says:

Never ever. Never ever give up. Yes

35. ken says:

I’ll live to die
    Die another day
    Another place, another time
    I’ll live to die – Oh Lord I’ll
    Rise to life again
    I will live to die another time

36. Gionfriddo says:

Crickets…

37. Rob says:

Let’s go reds!

1. [...] A whole bunch of stuff… I am happy that the Dodgers are winning, but they started winning when they no longer had control of their own destiny. Don’t pretend you don’t get that.  Don’t hate on me – I am just pointing out the obvious. The first order of business in the offseason will be to sign Zach Greinke.  It’s [...]… [...]