Welcome to the Boomtown

Ned Colletti drives a nine four four
Satisfaction oozes from his pores
He has an All-Star at First Base
Another at Short
Punto in his dresser
Crawford at the door
He keeps his Beckett against the wall
He keeps his Beckett against the wall

So I say
I say welcome, welcome to the boomtown
Pick a player
We got plenty to go around
Welcome, welcome to the boomtown
All that money makes such a succulent sound
Welcome to the boomtown

Handsome James got a little off track
He once was the hero
And he never went back
Now he chokes much too much
He’s got a permanent hack
Plays first base for Boston
Keeps his car running in the back
He always listens to the ground
Always listens to the ground

So I say
I say welcome, welcome to the boomtown
Pick a player
We got plenty to go around
Welcome, welcome to the boomtown
All that money makes such a succulent sound
Welcome to the boomtown

Well the ambulance arrived too late
I guess she didn’t want to wait

I thought it was appropriate I post a video about the effects of cocaine.  I like Adrian Gonzalez… I like him a lot.  He’s a masher as evidenced by his first at bat.  I don’t think he was happy in Boston being a West Coast guy and dealing with the Beantown press.  He should make the middle of the Dodgers lineup extremely potent.  Add in Hanley Ramirez and the middle of the Dodgers order is potentially the most potent in baseball.  Carl Crawford will be back next season (as early as April) and with him at #2, this lineup is devastating!

The Big Blue Wrecking Crew is Back!

Smith, Garvey, Cey and Baker were the heart of that lineup, now it’s Kemp, Gonzalez, Ramirez and Ethier.  It’s not outside the realm of probability that all four can be All-Stars.  BIG BLUE WRECKING CREW.  I like the sound of that.

James Loney is still long on potential, but he had to go.  Hopefully he will realize his potential.  I liked James.  He’s a good dude.  Good Luck to him.  Maybe the change of scenery is all he needs.   I was never a fan of Jerry Sands – I never thought he would be a star, but I’ve been wrong before and IDJ2 had no future in LA.  I am way OK with trading Loney, Sands and De Jesus for the players the Dodgers received back.

What bothers me is RDLR and Webster, both of whom I was really high on.  I think their ceilings are an Ace and a Two.  I know you have to pay up to get quality, but many baseball people are shocked that the Dodgers took on $270 million of contracts and gave up RDLR and Webby.  Some think it should have been one or the other – not both!

It’s easy to second-guess.  I just hope we didn’t do a few lines of cocaine for a short-term high.  I going to enjoy the offense.  I just will wonder for a while what we gave up and if it was indeed very valuable.  I hate dope-fiend moves.  You pay a lot to win now.  The good thing, most of the players are in their prime.

Dodger ownership sure have delivered what they promised.  There should not be an empty seat in the house.  I’m going to make a trip out before the end of the season.

Dodger News

• Chad Billlingsley will probably get a cortisone shot and miss 3-4 weeks, returning strong for the playoffs.
  • In the meantime, Josh Beckett and Joe Blanton are going to have to impersonate pitchers.  Both can do it effectively.  Will they?
  • John Ely will play a strong role in September is my prediction.
  • Shane Victorino will re-sign with Philly… or not.  He just won’t be in LA next year.   Crawford will own LF.
  • Sands hit #25 last night and now has 103 RBI.  Good Luck next year in Boston.
  • Watch Red Patterson (7-1, 3.03 ERA at Chatt)
  • Joc Pederson is now hitting .324 at RC with 18 HR.  He’ll be at AA next year.
  • Puig hasn’t played for a couple of games.
  • Willthe Dodgers make a run at Zach Greinke?  Don’t count them out!

If  Dee Gordon can pull it together like he did last September and hit .300 (humor me), can you imagine this lineup?

1. Gordon  SS
  2. Crawford  LF
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Ramirez  3B
  6. Ethier 2B
  7. Ellis, Cruz, Casty  2B
  8. Ellis, FedEX  C

34 Responses to “Welcome to the Boomtown”

I think Sands and Loney will do fine in Boston. 334 to straight away left field? I think I could hit that wall with some regularity. I believe every pitcher in that park has learned out to hit the corner on the first base side of the plate. One thing I am sure Loney can do is pop that pitch up. Just pop it up to left field. I think Sands is strong enough to pull everything. I wish them both well. But don’t be too surprised if Loney is out of a job this fall.

I guess I am happy Ethier was not included in that deal. Maybe with more power in the lineup, he can relax and do what it is he capable of doing. Same for Kemp. This is actually a very good, and well balanced lineup now. It will be even better next year with all that speed at the top. Yes, I can imagine that lineup mover.

It’s a good time to be a Dodger fan.

2. Dave says:

I can see Victorino in orange and black. In fact, that is my prediction. Then we’ll go back to despising him. He’s got to feel like the odd man out just when he thought he’d finish his career as a Dodger. He won’t agree to be a fourth outfielder no matter how much Guggs and Co. might offer him.

3. Bball says:

Agree Dave. The best news of the day though has to be Scully returning next year. Yes badger it sure is a great feeling being a dodgers fan these day. Go blue

4. gionfriddo says:

Agreed Badger, unbelievable time to be a Dodger fan right now. All of this was surreal until I saw the pic of A Gone, Beckett, and Punto on the Guggenheim private jet. Yes, it stings to give up RDLR and Webster, but, getting Gonzalez without having to give up Ethier is utterly amazing IMO. We have given up 3 top arms in the span of 30 days (Ethan Martin is 4-0 in AA Reading with a 2.48 era)..

Lost in all of this is the incredible talent that is Carl Crawford– IF, big IF, Crawford comes back and is 100 % healthy come April (or May), this team is going to be beyond scary and downright impossible for a SP to get through without losing concentration from inning to inning.. Plus, another IF here, IF Gordon can tap into that talent that is there and put the ball on the ground and come close to a .330 OBP% & hit .275 in ’13, well….. barring injuries that lineup simply won’t be fair..

We need the big Texan (Beckett) to come alive down the stretch now that Bills is out for @ least 3-4 weeks.. Hopefullly, getting out of Boston will help him refocus and become the horse he was in years past in beantown.

5. Rob says:

I think Beckett will pitch with more intensity and will try to quiet the nay sayers who said he was done. Please keep beer out of the clubhouse and we will see a new and improved josh.

6. Gonzo says:

I know what your saying Mark, but I think that the Dodgers just went on their FA signing spree for the next 2-3 years. I don’t expect the team to sign greinke, but I won’t count them out either. This is the team you will see for the next 3-4 years with a tweak here and there while Kasten and White(if he’s here) build up the system. Yeah Rubby and Webster were a lot to give up but if you see what the top 1B are making we got three players 1 of them probably the best all around at 1B and two difference makers for what Pujols is making for the life of his contract. Also the team can now afford to not rush kids to the show. In about 2-3 years Joc and Corey should be ready to take over CF and 3B. Will Rubby and Webster be aces? The chances are very high they may, but I am willing to sacrifice those two for a run at the WS for the foreseeable future.

I am in the camp that says we gave up too much, but, I am also happy it was done. Nobody knows how good any prospect will be in the Majors, but we do know how good the guys we got are. Boston did a salary dump, usually that means just that. This time, they got some serious talent in return.

As for the Dodger future, I have no idea what they might do next. I had no idea all of this was coming, I mean, we did talk about these things in here, but I didn’t really think all of it could actually happen. So many things had to be in place for it to materialize – including a very talented Boston club not performing. Who knows what happened there, it began with last year’s collapse and ended with this dumping. Good for us – we’ll see how it works for them. Somehow, I think they will land on their feet. Same thing in Philadelphia. Those two teams do what they should, we don’t have AGon, Crawford or Victorino.

Ned always pays to much. We will pay more later when the Dodger TV channel is created and our Cable bill goes up $4-5 per month.

RDLR needs to change his follow through toward the plate. When he does watch out.

Go Vinny!
    Victorino – Pissed?
    Ely – DFA Uribe and call him up.
    Bills – Change his diet , his waist is as inflammed as his elbow.
    Ethier – Batting 6th = Donnie’s best decision in a month

Dodgers need 90 wins = 21 – 14

9. SpokaneBob says:

Gonzo got it right Mark. I also hated to see Ruby go, but it ensured that this would happen. Plus it goes way beyond this year. We have this wrecking crew for the next 5 years and there was little on the free agent market this winter.

I too look forward to getting Dee back and having that line up next year.

Go Dodgers!

I think the biggest risk is going to be Crawford. If he bounces back next year to form, then we did pretty damn good. I believe Beckett will be OK, at least I’m hoping. Next year the Ellis boys may be the only weak links in the batting order. At the beginning of this year, the Ellis boys were relied on to provide runs. Crazy what new ownership and a few months can do.

11. Cal says:

Questions?

Are the Dodgers done with building their roster for this season? I still think they might do more. Bench depth? They really don’t have players in the minors who they can count on during a pennant race. Who might still be available to trade for, and who do they trade? What do you think?

Does anyone remember who the Marlins got in the Miguel Cabrera deal to Det?

If I remember, at the time, it was Detroit’s 4-6 top prospects?? Well, it’s been 3 years now, and Miami sucks. Nobody except Dan Marino knows who those players were, and Cabrera is carving out a space in the hall of fame for himself.

Even if RDLR and Web’s ceilings are a 1 and a 2, the probability of them actually becoming 1 and a 2 are pretty low. More likely the’re a 2 and a 4, which is still great for Boston. I’ll be pretty shocked if IDJ2 becomes anything worthwhile, and Sands might be a solid 20hr, 80rbi type, but you can find those around (Juan Rivera). Loney is pretty useless, I doubt he becomes anything in Boston either.

I think we did pretty well, but I also think we didn’t need to take on this much salary; Boston could have paid more. But what’s done is done and we have a stud 1b, a hopefully stud LF next year, and a pitcher who can dramatically change the NL West race (good or bad) this year. Oh, and we got a guy named punto

13. Bball says:

Don’t underestimate punto. He’s not the flashy name but he’s been there( world series), can play just about anywhere, and with Hairston out he could be a valuable player. Just had to show some love for him. Felt so bad for him at the press conference last night. Go punto

What Badger said.

To the loyal out of town Dodger fans who subscribe to Direct TVs extra innings or any other skinflints out there, you may have noticed that the last game of the recently deflating Dodger/battery chucker series was not available for viewing. The reason being that KCAL and apparently Friscos non-Fox broadcast partners carried the game.
    Well guess what. We finish the season against them and there is a possibility that the same thing may occur then also. Anyway MLB.com is offering the rest of the season on your computer for 10 bucks. They have the games even when KCAL does them. Don’t be left out of watching a possible pennant clincher. I already have both and am in no way involved in any way with any of these companies. I believe the offer ends today. Might be a good decision as I can’t find broadcast schedules for OCT 1,2 and 3.

• the truth hurts says:

Mcihael, I gave up extra inning A LONG TIME ago! MLBtv is MUCH MUCH MUCH better, trust me. You can even choose the Dodger feed and it is cheaper! Also, if you have an xbox360 you can download the free app and watch on your television in HD. Every game, all the time.

If you do not have an xbox, on the computer is just as good, HD quality and no worry about missing games.

Thats my 2 cents….

Just found out that KCAL has the Oct 2nd game the day before the regular season ends so that game won’t be on extra innings if the chuckers non Fox affiliate has its rights.

Good question about Cabrera Bobby. All I remember is some guy named Badhop and Cameron Maybin. I know Detroit took Willis too. But your point is well made.

Muy Punto. I like the guy. He is a veteran that can play anywhere.

I just might have to look into that MLBtv. My computer screen is pretty small, but I have a Sony Bravia tv and wifi in the house, can I HDMI it there maybe?

I agree with Bill that Crawford is a risk, but the success rate of that surgery is pretty good – even on pitchers. I would think a position player, a guy who doesn’t throw 100 pitches at 90 mph should be just fine. Some say TJ surgery takes 12 months on a pitcher and 6-9 months on a position player. I don’t really know, but I too have read it’s true. I certainly expect him back in the lineup by the first of May. Could be sooner. Hopefully by then Gordon has learned his trade a little better. I wonder if he will play winter league ball?

• voldomer says:

Badger, MLB.TV doesn’t work on Sony products (my daughter has the Sony box in the Bravia line), but pick up a Roku and it easily will pay for itself in less than a season compared to Extra Innings. You’ll like its menus for Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc., much better than the Sony versions too, though Roku lacks YouTube for some odd reason. (I find the Sony box to be better than the Roku in terms of buffering, but that may be due to where they are located in the house in respect to our router.)

Okay, what will happen next?

Next trade up??

Sunday afternoon, and the Dodgers do not have enough so far to beat the Marlins.

A lot of singles, 1 for 9 WRISP.

That’s it. Blush is off the rose. Time to rebuild.

20. Bball says:

Carlos lee makes me sick. Fat ass washed up piece of crap

Third best ERA in MLB, yet starting pitching feels like it has become the biggest problem? Bills is very important to this team.

I really don’t like Hanley at SS. He reminds me of how Jeff Kent played 2b.

Put him at 3b where he belongs, and put Dee (or Cruz even) at SS!!

I also saw that $10 deal on mlb.com last night and got i. This next week I”ll be in the bay, Philly, and Baltimore; I think I’ll get my $10 worth right there!! Watched so far on my iphone and my laptop today and it’s great

23. Bball says:

Does anybody else think when dee comes back it’ll cause commotion when Donnie tells Hanley to go to third. I hope not but isn’t that y he was so bitter in Miami?

Who knows Bball. I would hope not, but, egos with these guys are often enormous.

2 for 17 WRISP. Yoiks, that stinks.

25. Bball says:

You say 2 for 17 and think negative which is crappy but I chalk it up to just a bad day and I’m seeing the fact that they even had 17 in scoring position is a good thing. Bit ya a pretty crappy day. It’s crunch time can’t afford to leave this many on base

2 for 17 is crappy. You have that many opportunities, you should easily be able to match 6 runs. The pen wasn’t good either, but, it was decided with the 2 for 17.

All the Dodgers have to do is win EVERY series from here on.

Just a bad day, I hope. And A-Gon just got under that pitch in the 8th. Otherwise it’s a slam, Kenley comes in, and the Dodgers win. Those are the breaks.

Need to start seeing some power out of Kemp. He still doesn’t look quite right. But that can probably change in an instant. Hanley also swinging at some bad pitches. That blister may be the best thing that’s happened to Ethier.

I loved RDLR, and wasn’t nearly as high on Webster as everyone else seems to be. But he might turn out to be good. But I’d do this deal again in an instant. And I’ll say what I’ve been saying again. I’m not concerned that we’ve given up good prospects because I expect this ownership to replenish the farm system, and make it one of the strongest in the game. They’re spending money on international talent, McCourt didn’t. That makes all the difference. And until the farm system begins to produce, this ownership will spend whatever is necessary to build a championship team because they know that winning will grow the bottom line.

28. Rob says:

Well at least the midgets are getting pounded 7-1!!

29. jerry says:

we are loosing to the rocky bye four in the 8th..to many trying to hit home run..dont believe we will make the play off..we dont hit and run no more..we take to many strikes down the middle ..and then swing at somethig stupid..kemp as lost some of his speed.. and also looks like he lost some of his power..other teems..seem to get two hit and always get some run..we are down in the first inn..in about the last 10 games..so what has happen..