It’s going to be a rough ride, folks. You had better fasten your seat belts and pour yourself a stiff drink. There’s a little over a month left in the season and the Dodgers are faced with this:
- Their #2 starter is on the DL;
- Their closer is on the shelf with heart problems;
- One of their LH specalists is on the DL;
- Their #3 starter is not likely to return from the DL;
- Their speedy shortstop has lost his job when he returns from the DL and will be a bench player;
- Their #4 starter seems to be running out of gas;
- Their MVP CenterFielder tried to run through a fence and is out for a time;
- Their recently traded for LF may have a bad attitude because they traded for a better LF who is on the DL;
- Their super sub is on the DL and ready for hip surgery; and
- Their backup catcher could jump out of a boat and not hit water.
I guess it’s all over with right? Not so fast! These may be Destiny’s Dodgers. Let me give you Eleven Reasons why:
- Adrian Gonzalez (the bat the Dodgers were lacking)
- Matt Kemp (last years’ REAL MVP will tear up September)
- Hanley Ramirez (the Dodgers’ SS for the next 5 years)
- Andre Ethier (he’s awesome at #6)
- Clayton Kershaw (Best Pitcher in baseball?)
- Joe Blanton (watch him surge in September)
- Josh Beckett (resurrected!)
- Shane Victorino (pissed and playing for a new deal in Philly)
- Ronald Belisario (his time to shine as closer)
- Chad Billingsley (he’ll make 2 or 3 critical starts down the stretch)
- A.J. Ellis (the sucker is hitting .283 with a .386 OB% – amazing!)
It has taken a few games for the new crew to get their “sea legs” but they are rounding into form. Look out. These are Destiny’s Dodgers!
TJ Simers of The LA Times writes a very good article on Luis Cruz “never quit” attitude.
- Yasiel Puig, Eric Eadington, Red Patterson, Steven Rodriguez, Gorman Erickson, Rafael Ynoa and Joc Pederson are headed to the AFL this fall. It should be fun. There will be one more pitcher added (Steve Ames?).
- Dee Gordon will be traded and Hanley Ramirez will be the Dodgers Short Stop. Get over it already! Gordon could net a closer or David Wright. Dee will see very little action the rest of this season. He was 0-4 last night and is hitting .091 at AAA.
- OK, how about Dee Gordon and Yasiel Puig for David Wright? The Dodgers outfield is set until the 22nd Century so, Puig is the odd man out… and he’s a good one.
Next Year’s Lineup:
- Crawford LF
- Wright 3B
- Kemp CF
- Gonzalez 1B
- Ramirez SS
- Ethier RF
- Ellis/Cruz 2B
- Ellis C
That would be awesome. I mean AWESOME!
Dodger Top 10 Prospects
Someone asked me to list my Top 10 Prospects, so here it is… in order this time:
- Joc Pederson
- Yasiel Puig
- Zach Lee
- Cory Seager
- Alex Castellanos
- Tim Federowicz
- Chris Reed
- Matt Magill
- Angel Sanchez
- Alfredio Silverio
- Steve Ames (I had to throw him in)
Feel free to disagree…
Chris Capuano – I have been mocked for saying that he would win 20 games. OK , that was wrong. What did you predict? That the D-Backs would be tough? That the Giants would win again? That the RedSox would be the best team in baseball? That was Very Wrong! Maybe VERY, VERY WRONG!
Let me address one thing: Chris Capuano has a 2.69 ERA in Dodger Stadium. He has a 7.94 ERA in Coors because he is a curveball pitcher, morons! He can’t pitch there. Clayton Kershaw has a 6.14 ERA at Coors. So, it was no surprise that Capuano got shelled at Coors. Is he out of gas? Maybe. Maybe not. Watch and see. It’s true that he falls off in the second half in the past. So far, his ERA is higher post-All-Star break in 2012. The Dodgers need for him to step up.