The Dodgers have played 106 games and have won exactly 56 of those games. That means there are exactly 56 more games in the season. If the Dodgers go .500 the rest of the way, they will win 84 games. That’s not enough. They need to win at least 5 or 6 more than that to win the West. The Dodgers are a half game behind the Giants and 2 games ahead of the Diamondbacks. The season starts now.
I am a fan like most of you and wear my feelings on my sleeve. I want to kill the GM or crucify the manager or DFA the players or fire the hitting coach on any given day. However, nn my over 50 years as a Dodger fan, I have learned this:
YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT. JUST WHEN YOU THINK YOU HAVE IT ALL FIGURED OUT… YOU DON’T!
That’s the beauty of baseball. No one knows what to expect. We analyze until we are paralyzed, but we don’t know crap. The stat geeks know what happened in the past, but they have no clue what will happen in the future and neither do I. We make predictions. but I would be surprised if anyone is right 40% of the time. I know some of you think I am never right. I’m right about that!
Here are a few things that I know and I want you to think about them as the Dodgers make this stretch run:
- James Loney can play a lot better than he has this year (so far);
- Chad Billingsley has Ace Stuff;
- Kemp, Ethier and Ramirez can be one of the most potent #3,4,5 hitters in baseball;
- Juan Uribe has played at a much higher level in prior years;
- Dee Gordon is an exceptional talent;
- Shane Victorino can play a lot better than he has this year;
- The Dodger Outfield is one of the best defensive outfields in MLB;
- The Dodger bullpen can be the best one in baseball; and
- Cliff Lee could make a huge difference.
I still believe in this team. The Dodgers can win it all. If I am a Dodger, I don’t look at the Giants or D-Backs, I look at THIS game and try an win THIS game. Forget about the other teams… the fate of the Dodgers rests in their hands. I will be watching and rooting. Hang on – it’s going to be fun. This team has the talent to win (especially if they get Cliff Lee).
BELIEVE IN BLUE!