The Mantra: Win The Series!

The Dodgers won Game 1 of the Marlins series, lost Game 2 and then took Game 3 5-0 when Chris Capuano (He’s done – he ran out of gas) almost pitched a no-hitter.  He now is 11-8 and most certainly won’t win 20, but his 10 K’s and 2 hits in 8 innings should erase any question about his durability.  His ERA is 3.11 and ranks 2nd behind Clayton’s 2.88.  By the way:  Watch Clayton finish strong and get his second Cy Young.

Boy, some of you guys are quick to throw the Dodgers under the bus.  Remind me to never go to war with you.

Some of you think the Giants are the better team.  Others think the Snakes are better.  You are entitled to your opinion.

The D-Backs have been a .500 team all year.  Maybe they will get hot and win it.  Yeah, maybe I’ll be Tom Cruise too…

The Giants have excellent starting pitching, but the Dodgers are 2nd in team ERA and the Giants are 5th.  The Giants have scored more runs and have a better batting average however.  The Dodgers are finally healthy on offense and now have an opportunity to make up ground.  Matt Kemps’ wheels are sound and that in itself makes a difference.

Mark Ellis looks healthy and sports a .359 OB% from the #2 hole – I’ll take that even if he doesn’t do great against RH pitchers.  He defense is among the best in baseball at his position.  I’m sure Kennedy will go against some tough RH pitchers.

Hanley Ramirez is coming around after a hot series in Miami , but the Dodgers need for Andre Ethier to step up.  If Ethier can regain his power stroke it’s all over.  If he doesn’t it will be much tougher.  His lack of power last year was blamed on a bum knee.  There’s no excuses now.  Mr. Softee needs to tighten up.

First base is the Big Problem.  Loney and Rivera look lost at bat.  I thought that when the Dodgers brought up Sands, they would give him a chance.  I’m sure it will never happen, but if I were the GM, I would DFA Loney, Uribe and Treanor.  All are useless.  In their places, I would call up Sands, Castellanos and FedEx.  They can’t do any worse and would likely do better.

Jerry Sands has finally re-gained his power stroke.  Jerry hit his 23rd last night and has 87 RBI to go with a .292 (and climbing batting average).   I have never been a huge Jerry Sands fan, but he looks ready.  Kendrys Morales and a number of other power hitters have not done as well at AAA as Sands.  It’s time for Sands.  Put him at 1B and let him play.  Hit him 6th or 7th.

FedEx is at .296 and Casty is still hitting .363.  The Cardinals called up Freese and Craig last season at about this time and it propelled them to a title.  Both Craig and Freese are hitting over .300 this year.  FedEx will hit better than Treanor and is sound defensively.  Castellanos should get an opportunity at 3B.  It’s time to do something bold, Ned.  Donnie doesn’t trust Treanor, Uribe or Loney to hit and I don’t blame him.  Cut the ties, send the message to the team that you have to pull your own weight.

I’d start this lineup:

1. Victorino  LF
  2. Ellis  2B
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Ethier  RF
  5. Ramirez  SS
  6. Sands  1B
  7. Castellanos  3B
  8. Ellis  C

Make it so, Ned!

The Dodgers just need to win the Series -  this Series against the Pirates and then the next and the next.  Win the Series.  That’s all!

Minor Notes:

• Rumor is that Yasiel Puig is headed to RC.  I suppose that’s OK, but I would have thrown him into the mix at Chatt.
  • Chris Reed is a nice pitcher.  I just don’t think he’s a starter.  He went 4 innings last night with 6 hits and 4 runs.  Put him back in the pen.  He’s effective for 2-3 innings.
  • 18 Year-Old Corey Seager after 124 AB’s in Ogden:
    • 4 HR
    • 21 RBI
    • 19 K
    • 11 BB
    • .306 BA
    • .827 OPS
    • 7-9 in SB’s
    • Did I mention he’s 18?
  • James Baldwin has raised (I said “raised”) his batting average to .210.

19 Responses to “The Mantra: Win The Series!”

Mark, you are right in looking at all three N.L. West teams that have a solid chance of winning the Division. But from looking at the funny turns that baseball can take – one never knows just how it all ends up with 50 games left.

Injuries, being in a bunch of 1 runs games, a number of extra inning games, minor leaguers called up to “play” and not just pinch run or hit or carry towels, etc.

Also, just what a manager does with his pitching staff, batting order, and use of players in general.

I think the D-Backs, Giants, and Dodgers all have a solid chance, and this is what baseball is all about. To “play ball” and see the character, development, and toughness of each team.

Our Dodgers can do this. And we fans have a big part. Showing up for games, watching games, wearing Dodger stuff, talking and posting on shows and fan boards.

For some of us, I was 10 at the time, we remember well the Bobby Thomson HR when the Giants beat the Dodgers in the 1951 post season. I was putting up my baseball card shoe box in my closet the exact moment he hit the HR and listening to it on the radio.

That was the year that the Dodgers has a 13 1/2 game lead over the Giants as of August 11th. But the N.Y. Giants won their next 16 games!!! And Brooklyn finished the season on a 26-22 clip — the Giants went 37-7 in their last 44 games.

Note: only a 14 inning victory over the Phillies, on the last day of the regular season enabled the Dodgers to force the best of 3 playoff games.

The Giants won the first game 3-1 in Ebbets Field. The Dodgers won the second game in the Polo Grounds 10-0.

The final and third game was in the Polo Grounds again and Sal Maglie faced Don Newcombe. The Dodgers led in the game 4 to 1 beginning the bottom of the 9th inning.

You know the outcome. Bobby Thomson hits his famous HR off of Ralph Branca and the Giants won an impossible game.

This moment was named by ESPN’s SportsCentury as #2 of the Ten Greatest Games of the 20 Century.

I have two items in my study at home: a wood piece with two baseballs, one signed by Branca and the other by Thomson, with a metal plaque and a written description of the game. I also have a large framed picture of the HR shot (the famous one) with a white dotted line showing the flight of the ball.

So see, in baseball, nothing is a given thing. And both the Giants and Dodgers know this. And Kirk Gibson knows this with his unbelievable HR in the 88 World Series.

Yes, this last month and a half could be another nail-bitter and a lot of fun. And the Dodgers from the manager, to the players, to we fans will have to do our best to make it a Dodger year.

“Remind me to never go to war with you.”

Did you actually go to war with anyone?

“Yeah, maybe I’ll be Tom Cruise too…”

I seriously doubt anyone will confuse the two of you.

I agree with Roger…. our team CAN do this. But they do need to play more consistently than they have. And just stating facts about our opponents is not throwing anyone under the bus. The best coaches know the opposition and give credit where credit is do. I am surprised a guy like you doesn’t acknowledge that.

Looks to me like Sands does not figure into the Dodgers plans. I don’t know what the plan is for him, but, the acquisition of Victorino tells me Sands is stuck in the minors until the roster expansion. After that, who the hell knows. We have needed a strong young outfielder all year and the Dodgers didn’t trust him enough to give him an honest shot at it. At this time, a Rivera Loney platoon makes more sense than starting a rookie at a new position for a pennant drive. Having said that, it wouldn’t surprise me all that much if they jettisoned either Loney or Rivera. The Dodgers know they have to make bold moves.

The rest of that post I have no problem with. Ellis has surprised me. I figured him to be exactly what fangraphs predicted – .260 with a .348 OBP. He might still end up there. Decent, but certainly not great.

• RogerCraig says:

Sands struggled most of the year until the last month. He changed his swing back to what it was in the past and has been on fire ever since. He can play 1B much better than Rivera, although he’s no Loney. I would try him if I were the Dodgers. His confidence is soaring.

3. DodgerDude says:

This series with the Pirates is a must win series. The way I see it, the Dodgers need to take this series 3-1. A split would be OK, but they need to win it.

Trade Grades

Rameriz .288 – B+
    Victorino .256 – C+
    Choate 5.79 – D
    League 16.87 – F-

E. Martin 1.46 – A+
    Landy .490 – A+
    Bawcom 3.18 – B
    McGough 1.08 – B (BA .313)
    Eovaldi 5.11 – D+
    Lindblom 7.36 – F- (Still better than League)

7 Day (A WHOLE TEAM)

Uribe .000 1AB (Why is he still on the team?)
    Treanor .000 7AB (Retire and start a family)
    Sands .000 3AB – (Sent back to Purgatory)
    Loney .091 (Part of the 2 headed Albatross)
    Rivera .111 (The Other Head)
    Ellis AJ .167 (Needs rest – LAD needs 3 catchers)
    Cruz .182 (15 minutes are over)
    Hairston .200 (He’s just a sub)

League 27.00 Oops!
    Blanton 7.20
    Bills 5.68

Maybe I am being picky but Kemp has been hitting great in non RBI situations. Twice over the weekend with the bases loaded he came up and struck out. We got away with it yesterday but in Saturdays game it cost a chance to blow the game open. I think he is pressing. I honestly think he wants to be the heroe and needs to let the game come to him a little more in the pressure situations. The doubles and singles with no one on are nice but he is being paid to be a run producer.

But of course I am being picky.

This little Puig-gy went to High A ball?

I can’t wait to see Puig at RC. As soon as I get there I will send you all a report/pictures.

To Ken’s post………. Victorino and Ramirez. The rest of those guys didn’t, or won’t, figure into the play-off push. Granted, the relievers we got will be used and certainly can hurt, but I expect them to be better than what they have shown.

If you recall, A.J’s fade was predicted. It’s a long season, and he has never been through a grind like a summer in the big leagues. The most games he has ever played was 109 and that was 5 years ago. ZIPs has him down for 118 this year, and though I did not agree with their prediction (.392 OBP) I went along with the games played, but a .360 OBP. His avg. is higher than I thought it would be in mid August. He already has 89 games played. 118 will come quickly. He needs time off. Treanor of FedX. Take your pick.

We need Victorino and Ramirez to play like they have in the past. They do… we have a shot. They don’t………………

yeah well if the Giants cheat this year like they did in 62, maybe they can win the division again.

I do agree about our 1b hole. Just give Sands 15 games, and he’ll out produce what is a sure .240, 1hr, and 6 rbi from Loney/Rivera in that same span.

Why is Uribe even on the team??

Andre needs to wake up!!!

8. Kevin says:

A.J. Ellis average over the past 10 games is .310. You guys are drastically overdoing it with his so called “fade.”

9. Rob says:

If the dodgers wins the west you can truly say they have a legit shot to win it all. Their schedule is a lot more brutal then the midgets from this point forward and we might need some late year magic like the cardinals got last year. I am still confused why uribe is on the team, he must have some crazy crap as blackmail against Ned.

10. gionfriddo says:

Badger, I’m with you– IF, Victorino and Ramirez get hot we have a shot to stay with SF— IF, another IF I know, IF Ethier gets hot along with them we can be dangerous down the stretch and into the divison series and beyond…the perpetual hole @ 1B will be there til it’s addressed in the off season.. maybe Sands could outproduce the Loney/Rivera platoon– I happen to think Sands is another Greg Brock (albeit the RH version)who has inflated Alb #’s but will always struggle in the bigs just like Brock did due to his long swing and inability to hit good fastballs in.. That being said, he can’t do any worse in IMO and I have no idea why Ned chose to DFA TGJR for Sands only to shuttle Sands back to Alb a week later– rather than dumping Uribe…

Hard to argue that friddo. When they bothered to bring him up, I thought, well here we go… the kid has his chance. 3 ab’s later they send him down and it was like…. wtf?

AJ hit .285 with a .404 OBP the first half Kevin. He is hitting .271 and .363 so far the second half. OK, not that great a drop, but, the summer ain’t over yet.

11. Kevin says:

Badger show me a catcher who does better the second half than the first half? There aren’t many!

Agreed.

But many of the guys who have been around a while know how to get it done. Like I mentioned, AJ has never caught more than 109 games. Guys like Pudge and Piazza did it every day for years. I have no idea what AJ is capable of, but it sure would be nice to be able to give him a break.

Hell, maybe he doesn’t need it, I don’t know. But, I would sure plan for it.

12. El_Che says:

James Baldwin at least has 40 something steals thats alot since he rarely gets on base very disappointing season hopefully he comes back strong next year in RC but really only see him as trade bait since outfield seems set in next couple years.

Mark do you kno when rubby suppose to come back from groin injury, and what are your thoughts on Corey Seager ?

• Mark_Timmons says:

RDLR has a groin injury. He\’ll probably pitch again this week. I doubt that we\’ll see him until September now.

Corey Seager should be stud in 2015… maybe sooner.

13. gionfriddo says:

Hairston to DL– Mattingly starts Kennedy at 3rd and sits Cruz.. wtf is going on?? Kennedy for starters should not even be on the 25 man roster but he gets a start in the heat of a pennant race?? For the life of me I don’t get why Mattingly starts Kennedy; he has obviously drawn a line in the sand that is clear on the Uribe situation but if Kennedys’ in our lineup we are weaker, bottom line.. IMO, if Ned does the right thing and DFA’s Uribe and Kennedy and calls up Sands and Castellanos/Herrera(who will replace Hairston) we are a better team down the stretch…

1. [...] The Mantra: Win The Series! The Dodgers won Game 1 of the Marlins series, lost Game 2 and then took Game 3 5-0 when Chris Capuano (He’s done – he ran out of gas) almost pitched a no-hitter.  He now is 11-8 and most certainly won’t win 20, but his 10 K’s and 2 hits in 8 innings should erase [...]… [...]