Matt Kemp is the Good, James Loney is the Bad and Juan Uribe is the Ugly!
I thought that as the Dodgers begin the stretch run of the final 50 games, it would be good to put things into perspective. Until Wednesday, the Dodgers had been Gawd-Awful for a few games, but that is just a microcosm of what is the LA Dodgers.
Here’s the Good (led by Matt Kemp): Matt Kemp is a superstar, that’s the long and short of it. If he had not missed 50+ games this year, where would the Dodgers be? Do you think they might have had 5 or 6 more wins? 6 more wins and they would have the second best record in the NL. 9 More and they would be the best of the NL. I’m just sayin’…
- AJ Ellis has been good – with an OPS of .833 he is great as the Dodgers catcher and #8 hitter.
- Mark Ellis has been good. He may play the best 2B in the league and has a .360 OB% from the number 2 spot. That deserves a “good.”
- Clayton Kershaw, Chris Capuano, Aaron Harang and Chad Billingsley collectively deserve a good and throw in Joe Blanton and it’s still a good. The Dodgers starters are the best in baseball (statistically).
- The bullpen is just slightly behind the starters and the Dodgers staff has a team ERA of 3.35 which is #2 behind Washington.
- Jerry Hairston has tapered off, but he played well for a long time. He’s good… for now.
Here’s the Bad (Led by James Loney): Juan Rivera, Shane Victorino, Luis Diaz, Dee Gordon. Elian Herrera, Scott Van Slyke, Andre Ethier, Jerry Sands, Tony Gwynn, Jr., Bobby Abreu, Adam Kennedy, Matt Treanor and Hanley Ramirez have all be bad. They have had their flashes, but bad is all you can say for their overall body of work. When more than half of your offensive players are “bad” you probably can’t be “good.” I am kind of surprised that Abreu accepted an assignment to AAA, but when nobody wants you, you have no choice. Ditto for Gwynn, Jr.
Here’s the Ugly (Juan Uribe): Ugly does not begin to describe just how bad Juan Uribe really is. Why is he still on the team? This is absolutely absurd! Whoever is responsible for this should be fired! HE HAS TO GO – NOW!
Minor League Report:
- Aaron Miller pitched 5 Innings and allowed 1 Run at AA , while striking out 3 and walking (get this) 5. Still a prospect, but frustrating.
- Corey Seager was 2-5 with 2 RBI last night. He is hitting. 293 and batting 8th.
- Yasiel Puig was 1-3 with 2 runs scored and a triple to go with 2 RBI. He is still batting .400. I think it’s felony stupid to leave a guy you pay $42 mil at the lowest level rookie ball when he is obviously way ahead of the competition. Move him to RC or Chatt already!