Rant & Rave Thursday

• There isn’t much to rave about, so please excuse me while I rant.
  • The Dodgers looked like Champs against the Giants and Chumps against the D-Backs.
  • Paul Goldschmidt’s body block of Jerry Hairston, Jr. in the 8th inning of yesterday’s game should be reviewed.  I agree with Hairston that the runner at 1B should have been called out.  I don’t think Goldschmidt should be suspended, but it was a dirty play.
  • I understand that Uribe can play all over the infield, but he obviously can’t hit.  I thought Abreu would have been a good pinch hitter.  Mattingly said this:  “He was good with the young players talking to them about hitting.” MAYBE THAT’S THE PROBLEM.  AFTER THE ANGELS RELEASED HIM, THEY STARTED HITTING!  Maybe that will happen here.  Shoot, I am grasping at straws.  Fire the hitting coach – do something, even if it’s wrong.
  • I understand that Lilly’s elbow/arm was sore after his start Sunday.  That’s not good!
  • Assuming the Dodgers will someday learn how to hit, I do not think they can win without either Billingsley morphing into an Ace or trading for Cliff Lee.  To get Lee, I think they would have to pay all of his salary and give up another Lee and more!  Would you do it?  I would.
  • Is Shane Victorino worth a 4 year $50 mil deal?  That’s probably what it will take to re-sign him.
  • Andre Ethier has 3 HR since May 15th.  He is hitting .222 against LH pitchers.  He needs to platoon with Hairston in RF or maybe it’s time to re-call Castellanos.
  • Casty was 2-3 last night with his 15th HR (.365).  Sands was 2-4 (.279).  FedEx was 3-3 (.287).
  • Cole-St. Clair started at AAA and went 5.2 – he’s being converted to starting.
  • Zach Lee’s latest start:  4.2 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 4 K, 1 BB
  • Pedro Baez is back at RC, where he is hitting .120.  Time to pitch?
  • Sellers and Kennedy play last night at RC.
  • Finally, Yasiel Puig made his debut in Arizona Rookie League and hit for the cycle… in his dreams!  Actually, he was 0-4 against rookie pitching.  Everything I have written today is bad.  Let’s move on.  I’m done.  Goodbye!

39 Responses to “Rant & Rave Thursday”

Goldschmidt’s play was, in my opinion, rough, but legal. He didn’t go in spikes high and he was touching the bag. Don’t forget, the Dodgers went after him too.

Victorino needs to prove he is worth anything to the Dodgers. Until he does, my answer to that contract is hell no. If he can get on at his career 2 hole % rate – .352 – then I would consider offering him a contract. But, he made $7MM per (9.5 in ’12) for a few prime years (29-31) where he was an AS, GG and had MVP votes, what is the likelihood he improves on those numbers, in Los Angeles, in his 32-35 years? It bothers me that players are paid now for what they did then. If I had my way, every single contract would be incentive based and only a portion would be guaranteed. Take the NFL model for that. If he is remains good, I offer something similar to what the Phils gave him – 3 years with an option.

Broxton worked the 8th last night. That Reds bullpen looks pretty damn good. That team looks pretty damn good.

Ethier? What is wrong with him? If he and Ramirez don’t collectively bash, this team is not going anywhere.

I don’t think any player we have in the minors will be the answer to our questions. They were there to bring us better players at the deadline. Now they are there for a waiver wire deal. We are either in this thing now, or we are planning for the future. You can try to do both, but, it’s my opinion that both will be difficult to accomplish at the same time.

I did all my ranting yesterday. It’s someone else’s turn today. Magic needs to stick his shoe up about 30 butts today, that would include the coaching staff.

If the Dodgers don’t get their act together soon, then Yogi has it right.

It’s getting late early.
    Yogi Berra

“It’s getting late early.”

It’s that time of year. Days are getting shorter.

Just a quick note…. the midgets are outdrawing the Dodgers. Not by much, but, that just shouldn’t happen. This Dodger team needs to get more interesting or the dwarfs will make more money and be able to sign stars long term. I know this about Bay Area fans having lived up there for years – if their team is out of it, many stop coming to games.

5. the truth hurts says:

the day off could not have come at a more convenient time for EVERYONE….

the cubbies come to town……

big series to get that bats going again….

Andre Ethier SUCKS….read this Andre, let it piss you off and do something about it please…

and ken, a unicorn would be cool to be for a day flying around the sky with a horn, is that the unicorn you were referring too?

I don;t think we have to worry about outspending the Giants. WE WILL! The ticket revenue will just be a small part of the money coming in. It’s all about the TV contract. It will be huge. But that is still about a year away.

One thing to keep in mind is this year is gravy. I don’t think anyone of us thought the Dodgers would be 1.5 games out on August 2. We wanted to be close. We are close! Damn close! I think next year, with a full off season will be an all in season. I know we all wanted Dempster or a top line starter but we used up Eovaldi for Hanley, Lindblom for Victorino, Could we really justify blowing more prospects for a guy having a career year for only 2 months? The word is Chicago wanted 2 pitchers in return. I say we stand pat do our best. Check the waiver wire for a big contract we are willing to take (Lee?) If not we look at Greinke in the offseason or do what we can to blow Seattle away for King Felix.

7. RogerCraig says:

I believe that Mark is right. Cliff Lee will be put on waivers (if he hasn’t already been). Of the teams below the Dodgers in the standings, I could see Boston or maybe the Mets putting in a claim, but it’s not likely.

With Kershaw and Lee and a good pullpen, the Dodegrs are built to win.

8. DodgerDude says:

Hanley needs to hit cleanup and Ethier needs moved down or rested for a couple of games.

When Abreu and Hatcher left the Angels, they started hitting.

The Dodgers may think hitting isn’t important because the team still keeps Uribe who can’t ever hit his weight.

DFA URIBE NOW YOU IDIOTS!

So Romey, you think adding Victorino and Hanley is enough?

IF Ethier, Ramirez and Victorino all do what they should do, it may be enough. If they don’t – forget it. I also worry about our starting pitching down the stretch. You never know what you are going to get with Bills and Harang, Lilly’s arm hurt, Capuano has looked very hittable and who is Fife?

Yeah, I think money in the future is going to be available. But it sure would be nice to see that park filled again. Watching the dbacks hand us our ass while looking at so many empty seats behind home plate is discouraging. An exciting team would fill that park up again. We looked so good up in S.F. then come home and fall flat. 3 up then 3 down. That’s how .500 teams play. We need to be .600 the rest of the way or it will be another “wait ’til next year” year for us.

• DRomo says:

No I don’t think it is enough. But I would rather ride it out with what we have knowing we held on to pitching in the minors. Go into the winter and flex our monitary muscles with a free agent pitcher like Greinke.

I am happy knowing going into next year we have a solid 3,4,5 hitters! We can build on that. If Gordon is healthy and makes strides even better.

Last weekend the Dodgers and Dodger fans had the world by the tail. Mon-Tue-Wed the tail was gone and reality set in — this team does not have enough to win this season.

Starting pitching is NOT deep. The pen does fine one day and not the next.

Hitting is really the major issue —

Team HRs: Dodgers are second to last in the NL with 64 (Giants are last with 63) — yet the Brewers have double over the Dodgers with 128 HRs.

RBIs with 389 — only the Giants, Astros, Padres & Marlins are lower. The Cardinals lead the league with 499.

BA wise — Cardinals are .277 —- Dodgers .248. About 30 points lower.

Yesterday only one Dodger non-pitcher got a hit.

Most of the season, Donnie has gone with veterans over any of the kids. So Fed-X, De Jesus, Sellers, Castellanos, Sands, Van Slyke, etc. all take a ticket to the minors or a very limited roll.

Donnie goes with Treanor, Hairston, Kennedy, Uribe, Gwynn, Rivera, Abru types.

YET – the Guys are up near the top. But looks to me like the D-Backs have built a nice balanced team. The Giants are getting it together.

Maybe the several new guys can make a difference . . . and this team get a new and continued way of winning.

“Zach Lee, Shawn Tolleson and Jerry Sands should seal the deal with the Dodgers taking all of Lee’s salary. That deal needs to get done if the Dodgers expect to make the playoffs.”

Yeah, I would think that would do it all right. I would hope just taking the contract and an A chip would do it. I still wonder what teams are acceptable to Lee.

I just don’t see a guy like Mattingly trusting those rooks in pennant race Roger. He is going with what Jed has handed him.

12. gionfriddo says:

We could get Lee, Verlander, Price and slot them behind CK right now and that would mean nothing if we can’t hit. Bottom line, even though Capuano and Harang have hit a rough stretch in recent weeks, it is our bats that need to come alive for us to have a shot @ the postseason.. We all know that the current platoon of Rivera/Loney is playing their last games as Dodgers, but I for one want Mattingly to play Loney every day from here on out. Loney’s best month for his career is Sept (.303, 23,102,).. Our 3-4-5 hitters will hit down the stretch but we NEED Loney to get hot to solidify the bottom half of the order and to lengthen it..

If we had Kershaw, Lee, Verlander, Price we could slot Loney in the 5th spot. We might win some 12 or 13 inning games with our bullpen. We could count on winning 3 out of every 5 games I bet. No but I think we all get the point. After watching yesterdays game I decided Dempster would no have helped. Just knowing that Uribe is still on the team now bothers me more then not getting Dempster. I’m just trying to find peace within my soul to be happy and to be a Dodger fan at the same time. It’s very trying.

I start think an edit button would be grand….. ;-)

OH Lord

16. ken says:

Victorino wants 5 years – How long until Puig makes it if ever?

Should Guerra been warned for hitting little Pauly?

Yes Ethier has morphed back into a platoon player :(

Ramieriz .185 in last 7 games :(

Baez should have been converted 2 years ago.

When the Dodgers take the same approach to hitting regardless of the approach that the pitcher takes they fail. Doh! They are members of a legalistic cult.

Forget Lee. Too much money for his declining ability.

Cheer up Mark! There is always next year!

Kenny R on the trades that didn’t happen mentioned this:

Lee rejected a trade to the Dodgers in early July. He rejected another one to the Yankees on Tuesday, according to ESPN.com. And the Marlins took a curious approach in trying to move Lee to the 15 teams that could acquire him without restriction under his limited no-trade clause.

Who wants that fat slob anyway…

19. Anonymous says:

I believe that the Dodgers need to get back to the fundamentals of baseball. I dont want allstars, I want Legit baseball players that eat sleep and breathe technique and fundamentals. I want a dugout full of Tommy Lasordas and Walter Alstons. Its ashame that the Dodgers went from ROYALTY to bankruptcy and now a Baketball Player is running a Baseball team? The Bulldog and his crew of DODGERS shouldve bought the Dodgers. Names and money dont matter when your winning. And young talent is inexpensive until they bloosom and their contracts expire. Get it together dodgers.

20. Superman says:

Oh yea I almost forgot to mention that I have seen Ned Colettie or however you spell his name in the dugout these past couple of games. Be patient trublu the new additions need time to settle down, Find a place to live and get familiar with the areas and their teamates. As far as gelling together and understanding eachothers thought process and playmaking abilities.

Philly has a ton of bloated contracts. They would gladly hand Lee to anyone if that team paid his $90mil left on his deal.

we will not have to take on all $90 mil, AND add Lee, Tolleson, Sands, and whomever else.

If we added those 3 guys, you can bet Philly will pay a chunk to basically dump Lee and buy those prospects.

22. Kevin says:

Anyone else think we should just put James at 1st and stick with him? I mean he does have more upside than Rivera right? I can see Rivera in there against tough lefties but Loney should be playing if there is a righty in there.

23. Gdubss says:

I agree with Kevin, let Loney play 1st base the rest of the season. Also I would not give up the farm for a declining SP like Lee, I’m sure other SP’s will pass waivers like Beckett? He might be cheaper and I think he has some life in him still???

Annnnnnd Cliff Lee is now on waivers. This might get interesting the next couple days!

Lee is owed $90 million over the next 3 yrs (approx.)

Puig cost $45 million?

It was reported the ownership group said payroll be damned make the team better.

This falls is line with that.

Kershaw
    Lee
    Bills
    Cap/Harrang/Fife

looks better than what we have now!

Even if Lee says L.A. is ok…. and that is probably a big if…one has to honestly ask one’s self…. will Cliff Lee make the difference on this team?

And you know I am in the leave Loney on the field group. I have been saying that since July the 1th. This is the time of year his history says he can hit. Leave him in there and let his history be re-written.

Victorino, Ellis, Kemp, Ethier, Ramirez, Loney, Cruz/Gordon and Ellis…. with good pitching…. is that good enough?

If they start hitting like they should, I’d take my chances with that team. I’m starting to be a believer in Cruz and Ellis hitting 8th isn’t too bad.

here’s an interesting breakdown on Lee and the value he could provide:

29. jerry says:

i mention yesterday about the scout…i dont think they no a good player if they saw..it start.s with them.

on the bright side the Mets are about to hand the gnats their second stright sweeping at home. OUCH

no giants won game 1 of the series

• Michael says:

OOPs. My bad . We’re going to move within a half a game of first but we have Snakes crawling up our ass.

Badgers correct the d-backs just may leave the rest of the division in their rear view mirror.

Yeah Michael, and they got more in the pipeline. That LHer Corbin, the one who just threw a 2 hit shut-out against us, is their 7th rated prospect. They have 4 pitchers rated above him. And, do you like Goldschmidt? They got 2 more just like him, both 3rd baseman, ready to step in. To me, they are a lot scarier than the midgets.

I agree with that fangraphs article. Claim Lee and see what happens. They’ll bargain hard, trying to get our best prospect, but don’t cave. We’ll take him and give you nothing. We’ll do that as a favor so you can afford those other ridonkulous contracts you have lined up.

32. Bball says:

Dempster gets lit up. Really happy we didn’t get him. We still need a pitcher but he wasn’t the answer. If we’re gonna give up top prospects id rather on lee or garza. Good job Ned for not blinking

33. Rob says:

Love it, dempster tanks

34. Gionfriddo says:

Dempster — 4.2 inn, 9 hits, 3 BB, 8 ER… nice outing in his initial start @ Arlington..