Rant and Rave Friday

• Joe Blanton is making a case not to be re-signed by the Dodgers.  Someone will give him a 3-year deal.  It won’t be the Dodgers who have RDLR and Allen Webster and John Ely and others at the the ready.  Blanton will probably pitch some good games for the Dodgers down the stretch (just not last night), but it won’t be enough to cause them to re-sign him.
  • Memo to Joe Blanton:  You don’t throw an 0-2 pitch right into a players wheelhouse.  It’s not a good idea!  I’m just sayin…
  • I don’t mind Matt Kemp showing his anger towards the umps.  If Blanton could have pitched a little bit, the Dodgers would have won.
  • I love the way Donnie Baseball stands up for his team.
  • I don’t know when Dee Gordon will be back (maybe not until September), but he will be playing nowhere but SS.  You don’t take a guy with that kind of range and potential and put him anywhere else.  He also has a lot of trade value, if the Dodgers want to ride with Hanley at SS, but if he’s on the team, he’s playing SS and if he were to come back soon, I would have him leading off.  He is going to be a dynamic player.
  • Scott Elbert pitched one inning last night and struck out the side.  I’d expect to see him activated on Saturday.
  • Allen Webster won his 6th game and allowed 1 run in 5.1 innings (3.66 ERA).
  • Yasiel Puig was 1-3 at RC and is batting a mere .364.  He was caught stealing as well.
  • Joc Pederson was 1-4 with a 3-Run RH (16) and SB (22) – he is hitting .310.  It’s possible he could see AA this year – possible I said!
  • Ted Lilly pitched 2 innings and Matt Guerrier pitched 1 inning at RC.  I would not be surprised if they were recalled  within the week, nor would I be surprised if they were shut down for the season.
  • Corey Seager was 1-4 with 2 RBI.  He is hitting .301.
  • Jesmuel Valentin is hitting .210 in a league below Seager.
  • Jordon Hershiser has a 2.93 ERA for Arizona.

13 Responses to “Rant and Rave Friday”

Just saw and heard a bit of the game yesterday.

The day prior, Matt Kemp was quoted as saying, something like, “we are going good right now . . . ”

But that good dropped off the face of the earth for him – getting kicked out of the game. Yes, that shows toughness, but it also shows stupidity. They say this is Matt Kemp’s team now – but he needs to lead and not place himself in difficult positions and he cannot win.

But you know, what I did see of the game, it was like the home plate umpire was wanting Pittsburgh to win. Those called pitches were questionable.

Dodger pitching gives up 11 hits and 10 runs, with 5 walks and 3 HRs. But it was only two guys: Blanton and Wright that got hit. Guerra, Choate, and Tolleson gave up no hits.

Go get Atlanta today.

2. Gonzo says:

I disagree with you about Blanton Mark. Yeah he’s not sexy enough during the regular season, but I think that Blanton’s worth comes in the post season, where he WANTS the ball and is not afraid of anything or anybody. I think he would also make a very good closer but right now is an above average starter. I’d love to have a guy of his demeanor as a mid to low end starter.

• Mark_Timmons says:

The problem is, Blanton will have problems being on the playoff roster roster if RDLR, Lilly, Elbert and Guerrier are healthy.

He should be afraid to grove a pitch on an 0-2 count, too. ;)

Grooving an 0-2 pitch is just a mistake. It’s a mistake a veteran pitcher should not make, but it happens. Looking at his line it appears to me it was one of those days he didn’t have it. A guy like him has those days. Take a look at his game splits – he can go 8 or 9, or he can go 4. He’s done both multiple times this year. His ERA with us now is about 9. I expect he will pitch some better games down the stretch, but you are going to get crap once in a while from this guy. He’s a big man, hard thrower, who knows how many years he has left, but I suspect his best years are behind him. He is 32 in December. He hasn’t thrown 200 innings since ’07 – which, by the way, was when he was throwing over 95 mph.

I don’t know he will be re-signed. I wouldn’t do it if it was expensive. He could be a bullpen guy before you know it.

We need to get younger, stronger and faster.

• gionfriddo says:

Mark, the 0-2 pitch was a mistake I’m sure Blanton would like to have back– for what it’s worth, I’ll double down and say Blanton would also like back the grooved 3-2 pitch to Jones on the 1st 3 run HR..That being said, Blanton will show up down the stretch and pitch some huge games for us and when we make the postseason (which we will), there’s no way he’s left off the PS roster. RDLR? Lilly? the brass is going to trust a kid coming back from TJ surg who has never sniffed the pressure of the playoffs?? Or an aging vet with shoulder problems?? Blanton is 1-0 in the fall classic w/14 K’s in 12 inn and 2-0 overall in the postseason w/ 33 K’s in 40 inn (6 starts).. Blanton was brought here to help us get to the PS and once we are there to be that 3 or 4 who gives us a shot @ winning it all.. yes, he has struggled his last 2 starts but his 1st start with LA is more likely the pitcher we will see down the stetch (6 inn, 2 ER, 5 K’s in a ND where the pen blew his Win)…

3. Bobbie17 says:

Well said on Blanton. His greatest asset is his attitude. More like a closer. But he’s not good enough to close. On this team, he’s probably more of a middle inning guy.

4. Kevin says:

I don’t get the Joe Blanton infatuation. He had one reasonably good post season where he won 2 games with an ERA of 3.18 but his other postseason ERA’s are as follows…5.17 and 5.79.

There is absolutely no reason this guy should be resigned in the offseason considering we already have 5 starters signed next year that are better than him (Kershaw, Bills, Cap, Harang, Lilly). We also have RDLR on the comeback trail.

Just say no to Joe.

And Webster and Ely et al.

6. Corey says:

I’m with Kevin. I see Blanton as middle of pack, maybe a 4 or 5 innings eater. If he was brought here to get us into the post season, he hasn’t helped yet. At all!
    I would take RDLR with no experience coming of the Tommy John, or Lilly coming back from his various ailments.

We went to Pitt and took 3-4 there. I”ll gladly take it.

Now 2-3 at Atl would make for a fantastic trip. Can’t wait to see how the guys respond to the ejection filled game yesterday. Hopefully that ump is reprimanded for his power tripping.

I think it’s a given Blanton won’t be back next year, epecially with Lilly, Cap, and Harang all making some really good, back-loaded money next season.

Blanton will get a 3 year/$20 mil plus deal. I say no. I do think he will pitch effectively this season however. He has started 6 games in the playoffs and has a 4.02 ERA

9. Kevin says:

I don’t see anyone giving Blanton more than a Harang like contract (2 yrs $12M). Harang is better and more durable. JMO….

10. gionfriddo says:

I agree with Blanton not being resigned– that is a given for what he wants and who we have ready to step in (RDLR) and Mark your barometer of 3@20 mill is probably about right.. My point was I was ok with a vet like Blanton over a rookie like RDLR or a washed up vet like Lilly (gotta put this in there, he’s a Fresno City alum- with a 6.61 era in 2 playoff starts) in a pressure packed playoff game..