Categorized | David Caldwell

Patience

What I think we have here is a major identity crisis and it may take a sweep in Colorado to figure it out.  You have a bunch of superstars with egos the size of Coors Field and it might take a series for them to “get it”.  What “it” is, I don’t know.

I am “hopeful” they will figure it out before we go home to play Arizona.

Hope is the emotional state which promotes the belief in a positive outcome related to events and circumstances in one’s life. Despair is the opposite of hope.  Hope is the “feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best” or the act of  ”looking forward to something with desire and reasonable confidence” or “feeling that something desired may happen”.

Many of you are full of “despair.”

“This too shall pass”- keep the faith!

I see a big win streak in the near future.  This year!

I could post a million things that are going wrong right about now but what good would that do?

Do I think this team is capable of closing a 3.5 game deficit on the Giants with over a month to go?

Does a one legged duck swim in circles?

Abso-fricken-lutely it does!

Go Dodgers!

28 Responses to “Patience”

1. Rob says:

No matter what happens this year we can all be happy that this new ownership is committed to win which we could not say a year ago.

2. mica says:

Hello,
    Even before the collision with the wall, Kemp appeared to be drained. His power has vanished. He’s like Manny after the suspension. I proffer that Kemp was using Test until Melky got popped and then quickly stopped lest his he popped. Think about it…balls he would usually crush to center and right center die harmlessly at the warning track and what’s with all the singles? With the protection from Hanley and now Adrian, he should be mashing. Instead, he looks listless. As someone who has taken Test and then abruptly stopped, I know firsthand your energy and strength fall off a cliff. I’m not accusing him…just a thought

3. mica says:

He’s only hit 2 homeruns since Aug 8th and a total of 5 since July 13th! Where has the power gone? Any thoughts? Remember Manny when he came back? Decent avg. But no power…basically a singles hitter like kemp is currently

4. Bball says:

This is the problem with peds. If someone is not playing to there caliber they quit taking them. If there mashing there on them. Not everyone is doing this. Would it shock me to wake up one day and see kemp has been suspended. No but this guy works his ass off and it’s wronge to speculate like that

I have no opinion really, but mica raises a legitimate point. Where has all the power gone, long time passing.

I do find it hard to believe that a guy his size, with his strength would have trouble hitting a ball 380 ft. I could hit them 350 fairly regularly when I weighed 165 pounds. All he has to do is square it up, and I think THAT is the problem. Why he is not doing that? I don’t know.

Now suddenly the pitching has fallen alongside the hitting. We are now doing it as a team…. so maybe that’s a good sign?

You know, the sad thing for me right now is…. first gints then the Rockies? Geez man, this is the division. These are the guys you are supposed to start streaks with……

I guess we kinda have haven’t we….

ok, take today’s game, then we got Arizona and San Diego. Arizona still hasn’t figured out they have some great hitters on that team. We have a real chance to put together a win streak. It starts TODAY!

6. Rob says:

I am not concerned with Kemps power, every person goes through these slump. I think this team is struggling with its identity. Each player is pressing a little to much especially with runners in scoring position. Unfortunately working these things out takes time in which we don’t have with 30+ games left. The future is brite for the dodgers so let’s stay positive and hope for a nice winning streak.

7. Kevin says:

Please DO NOT play Hanley at SS anymore. A little leaguer could see that he is a terrible defender and he’s hurting us there. I couldn’t care less about his “feelings.” Donnie needs to do what’s best for the team here.

David your positivity and optimism is unacceptable! I will not be deterred from my scheduled panic attack!!
    This team has a huge flaw! Pitching! #2 – #5 is a crap shoot. In the regular season this flaw should be and can be masked by a phenomenal lineup. And we have a phenomenal lineup!! Trouble is if they don’t perform we are totally screwed! Right now this cast of all-star caliber hitters in this lineup are crapping the bed when we need them most. Josh Beckett deserved more 2 nights ago. If he gets some run support he may have gone longer than 5 and change. Cap had a bad start but with a little run support maybe he doesn’t try to be so fine with his pitches?
    The point is in Colorado this line up should average 6 runs a game easy. Humidor or not!

But…. Capuaono is going to win 20 Romey.

Methinks the arms are running out of gas. That is why I mentioned a 6 man rotation. Nobody seemed to think it was a good idea. We have that many starters, or will have very soon. Give the over 30 guys an extra day. Couldn’t hurt.

The hitters are there. Maybe they are pressing a bit. They are all pros, so, hopefully they get it together….. soon.

Dee will be back soon. Is that when Hanley goes to 3rd? Hope so. I think I agree with Kevin about Hanley at SS. We can do better. I think.

• the truth hurts says:

lol, Romo, I have no argument….you are indeed, very correct!

9. Kevin says:

Where is Mark to tell us all how Cap wasn’t that bad yesterday blah blah blah. You know what Capuano is? A left handed Aaron Harang.

10. Bobbie17 says:

To the Optimists out there: Ownership will fail where all other ownership has failed–throwing money around and not focusing on scouting and developing. A free agent here and there is ok, but like this???? Scouting and developing is the hard part. Buying free agents when you have more money than God is easy. Just not effective.
    With the new TV contract, the Dodgers won’t have to be any good. Good luck optimists. This deal set the team back 5 years. It’s a good thing we love the uniform, because the product on the field will continue to disappoint. A pessimist.

11. Kevin says:

Bobbie17…..as opposed to the last few years where we’ve been worldbeaters?

12. Anonymous says:

I’m not surprised by Capuano’s performances. I posted a while back that he has a history of bad second halves. This isn’t new with him, so it shouldn’t be all that surprising. With Billingsley hurt, the rotation, except for Kershaw, is for the most part, quite ordinary. To win they’re going to need run support, which for now they’re not getting. And maybe they can add a pitcher between now and Friday.

But all that said, the Dodgers are probably capable of turning it around on a dime. It’s the old story that you’re never as good as you are when you’re at your best, nor as bad as you are at your worst. So maybe they suddenly reel off 12 in a row or 24 out of the remaining 32.

And B17, your comment that “Ownership will fail where all other ownership has failed–throwing money around and not focusing on scouting and developing”, is utterly false, and flies in the face of the facts. First of all, Stan Kasten has a long history of being a player development guy (Braves, Nationals). Secondly, the Dodgers recently signed 25 or more international players, something the previous ownership never did. The Dodger farm system has weakened over the last several years because of an ownership that refused to invest in it. This ownership is making that investment. So what’s your complaint? They traded a few good prospects to get a superstar first baseman? Yes, those prospects may turn out to be good, but so what. The Dodgers are trying to win now, and next year, and the year after that, ad infinitum. And they know that they can’t without major upgrades NOW and a blueprint to create a steady pipeline of talent going forward. So they’re spending money to bring in major league ready talent to take care of the present, and they’re spending money to bring in amateur players to replenish the talent pipeline that McCourt laid to waste. This ownership is all about trying win now AND in the future.

And to state that “With a new TV contract, the Dodgers won’t have to be any good” is downright ludicrous. Whatever TV deal the Dodgers craft will become all the more lucrative if they field a winning team. Or haven’t you ever heard of sponsorship money? And wouldn’t it be nice to draw over 4 million every year. Do you think that’s possible with a team that isn’t “any good”?

13. Bball says:

Joe Mauer anybody

14. Rob says:

This is the offensive explosion I have been waiting for!

15. jerry says:

where has on the power gone.first off ..if you try and hit them ..it doesnt happen..and that is all we have..even uribe. these guy are all trying to show the other team mate up, back off and let it come on it own, secound ..we take to many pitches..i see so pitches right down the middle ..and we let it go..i not talking about a 3 and o..if we play for one run at a time ..thing will start to happen..

Has anyone heard of this Joe Blanton guy? He is awesome!

Bobbie17, I am not concerned with tis ownership not spending on scouting and development. Because so far it they have done exactly that Puig, Seager, holding on to Zach Lee… Don’t worry these guys have given up some prospects but they have to to build this bridge from single A and AA players to the major leagues. All these contracts they have taken on are not rentals. They are for at least 2 years and expire before all of these players are 36. That is the brilliance here. It captures prime years, buys our young talent time to mature at the right pace, and we aren’t screwed at the MLB level.
    Could it fall apart? Yes! But the money owed will not stop this group from re-investing and going after other prime players.

So far this group has done everything they said they would. I can’t wait to see what they do to the stadium. This is going to be an exciting time to be a fan. Things are changing. Expect the unexpected!

17. Rob says:

Take tolleson out please he is ruining my day

18. Gonzo says:

Like I said in a previous post, the Dodgers did their FA shopping last week. They addressed positions that were not great options for the team via Free agency. The bad part is that we need pitching and the kids that we have left are not ready. Zach Lee seems to have adjusted, but I am not convinced he’s the real deal. I believe Ethier will get traded within two years to make room for Joc and Crawford will be gone in 3-4 years.

The first thing that LA needs to do this off season is extend Kershaw, he’s only going to get more expensive and he finally expressed a desire to signing long term. Now, who will be available besides greinke on the market? That should be the focus of the front office going forward. The Harangs, Capuanos and Lilys should not be expected to make a positive contribution over the life of their contracts.

Do you remember a guy named Hiroki Kuroda who took the ball every 5th day? I wish we could have someone like him. I don’t care what his record is. I care how he is pitching right now and the adjustments he has made. He has been the rock for NY’s rotation.

19. Gonzo says:

So i just got to thinking, who are the Dodgers’ top prospects. Mark or anybody can you provide an updated list now, just for giggles?

20. Rob says:

Our pen looks like crap!

Where has all the pitching gone…. long time passing…..

man, from 10 to 1 to 10 to 8 in one half inning.

Blanton should only have to pitch 7. We should have shut down pitchers for the 8th and 9th. We do not.

Are there still some glaring holes with this team? I thought pitching was our specialty?

That was rather ugly. At least the finish was.

But it’s a W.

Jansen has a bad heart?!? Whoa. He’ll be out a while. That’s scary.

24. voldomer says:

Does anyone have an update on Guerra? Something must be bad for him not to have been called back up already.

Too much real bad news today.

Jansen, Elbert, Kemp.

Guerra being stretched out at ALBA to be the LONG reliever?

2 innings 8/22