Mr. Softee, Steroids and A-Gon

Swept by the Giants at home.  P-I-T-I-F-U-L!  That’s all I’ve got to say!  Things look pretty dismal right about now, however this is baseball and you NEVER know.  The Giants?  [vomiting sounds]

• Years ago, I called Andre Ethier “soft.”  I retracted it when he had a modicum of success in the clutch, but it seems that he reverts to being Mr. Softee year-after-year.  The plain truth is that he cannot hit lefties and needs to be platooned in RH.  End of discussion.  When Ethier plays against a LH, the Dodgers chance to win the game drops appreciably!  Mr. Softee is back!  I told you so – even if I always didn’t believe it.  Yes, he was 2-4 last night, but he’s still soft, and he can’t hit LH pitching and never will.
  • In light of what Ken said about Don Newcombs’ comments, I have to ask “Was Matt Kemp drunk in 2010?”  I don’t know.  Maybe.  Maybe not!  However, I do have to wonder why he wasn’t more upset when a known cheater (Ryan Braun) beat him out for NL  MVP.  I would be upset if I lost to a cheater.  You would be upset… unless you were doing the same thing too, and didn’t get caught… It’s something I don’t want to bring up, but I have to ask the question because baseball is an extremely dirty sport when it comes to steroids.  THINK about it!  He’s our boy – I hope it wasn’t true and if it was, I hope it’s not true now.  That’s all I will say about it, and I’m not accusing my favorite Dodger of anything.  I just choose to have my eyes wide open and I’ll say stuff others only think.
  • Adrian Gonzalez is on waivers.  Not many teams will be able to handle his fat $100+ million contract.  The Dodgers can.  Who can they trade?  I know it would take Zach Lee.  I have speculated that Andre Ethier could do well in Boston with his best friend, Dustin Pedroia.  That would have to happen after the season, unless Ethier could clear waivers now.  He would be a PTBNL.  I think that Zach Lee, Chris Reed and Shawn Tolleson along with Ethier could get the deal done.  He’s from California.  Maybe he’d like to go home?
  • Yasiel Puig can sure mash in rookie ball but is struggling at High- A (.281).  I have no clue where he will be next year.  It could be back at RC.  He really has now displayed anything that would warrant a $42 million contract… except potential.
  • Zach Lee pitched 7 innings last night and allowed 2 hits.  Not too shabby.
  • Corey Seager was 4-5 last night with 2 doubles and a HR.  At this rate, he will beat Puig to the big club.
  • Joe Blanton has looked awful.  I know Capuano gave up 6 runs last night, but he didn’t look awful.  He made some critical mistakes and didn’t have his A – Stuff, but Blanton has looked like a BP pitcher since joining the Dodgers.  I would be surprised if that changed anytime soon.

24 Responses to “Mr. Softee, Steroids and A-Gon”

1. the truth hurts says:

About Kemp, I think he was 25 in 2010 dating a super celebrity in Rihanna and just got caught up in the glitz and glam of Hollywood. It is what I would expect from a 25 year old upcoming superstar living in LA. Was he drunk? I am sure he had a few drinks here and there but wouldn’t you if your a small town Oklahoma boy now at the top of the celebrity spotlight? I’m not going to give the guy a hard time. People adjust to their surroundings and Kemp got caught up! Newcombe was not referring to an episode of Intervention on A&E, but sometimes people make it seem that way.

Kemp on PED’s? Everything is possible in this league. We can’t scold the guys who get caught because it is only a matter of time until one of ours does.

Ethier’s 3 year splits say he usually has a decent August and a terrible September. Maybe he flops those months this year. He is hitting .213 so far this August. Talk about non-clutch. He’s it.

I watched Miley and Skaggs pitch yesterday. You know, there are some nasty young left handed pitchers in our division. It may be time to get Andre the heck out of here. Boston looks like a great place for him to land. I still believe he could learn to pound that wall against lh pitching. It’s only 304.779 feet away. I could hit that thing. 302 down the right field line? Pull the ball Andre.

I still say Matt was distracted around that time. Having your head in Rhianna’s lap could distract any man. I know I couldn’t concentrate if I was hanging around her. No doubt there was plenty of party materials at his disposal, but I won’t speculate on Matt’s drug and alcohol use. If he tests positive, we know. Until then, who the ef cares what Don Newcomb has to say about it? Matt works his ass off in the off season and is one of the premier hitters in all of baseball. He is in a slump. Until I hear otherwise, that’s all it is.

Ethier, a Major League All Star and Gold Glove winner, and Zach Lee should be enough to get Boston interested. They want more than that, one pitcher – I am fine with Reed being that guy. It would not surprise me to see Ethier put on waivers, but I think the PTBNL is a good way of getting this thing done.

Blanton. yeesh. I don’t think he likes being a Dodger. He is getting lit up. Capuano. Yippee-ick. He has gone from 9-2 to 11-9 and given up 5 or more earned in 3 of his last 6 outings.

We got Miami, they got Atlanta and the snakes have the Pods. Everybody is 5-5 except the midgets, they are 7-3. Hope they cool off.

3. gionfriddo says:

Blanton has been a huge disappointment, no doubt (a 7.71 era in 4 starts is not what I had in mind)..

Sorry, but Capuano WAS awful last night. When your game is hitting your spots and working off a very goood changeup you can’t repeatedly leave balls out over the plate. Let’s be honest here, Cap could not get an out in the 6th and not only gave up 6 ER but he gave up a HR to none other than Joaquin Arias..

Yasiel Puig— let’s temper are expectations on this kid.. First of all, the kid is only 21 and although he has had no extra base hits in Rancho (9-32 overall, .281), he still has displayed some plate discipline that is encouraging (5 walks vs 5 K’s for a .395 obp%)..plus, Puig has 6 SB’s in 9 games @ Rancho.. Overall, Puig is hitting .339 between the 2 levels with a .446 obp %.. Potential?? That word is placed on just about every stud prospect (especially those with huge bonus #’s such as Puig’s) until they exhibit continued succcess at the big league level…

Ethier has been disappointing but not as much as Kemp to me. LATELY he is Mr. Empty stat guy. The guy I least want to see up with the bases loaded. He is good for a sac fly, good for a solo homerun (when he accomplishes that), or a good 2-4 day with two bases empty singles. This is our MVP? He is trying too hard. He is tired. He is getting worse. I say today’s day off should be followed by another day off for him. Sit him down for 1 game for the good of the team.

As for Adrian Gonzalez, I don’t know if we can make it happen but I wonder if throwing Dee Gordon in the deal sweetens the pot for Boston? I hate to see Zach Lee go or Webster for that matter but Sands, Gordon and swallow hard and pick a minor league A+ pitcher? Gonzo is the real deal we have seen that in SD.

Gordon has been Wally Pip’d by Cruz. I like that guy. plus he can hit his weight which is something Gordon has trouble doing. And thats quite the feat when you weigh about 150 soaking wet!

• Ken says:

Much less than 150, I would know. Dee Dee should work out with the US women’s swim team. There are some strong people on that team.

Gordons Dad played in Boston a long time…

Another point that Newcombe made prominently in his interview was the fact that Kemp’s mom was in LA on a part-time basis in 2010 and is in LA every day in 2012. Newcombe had an alcohol problem and he is Kemp’s mentor, friend and personal counselor. Too bad his old age caused him to let part of some secrets slip. Sometimes he does talk too long and says too much.

Hairston is now gone for the year.

Ned – Have some guts, call up Sands. If not, then – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EouKQBPkD-g

The Dodgers have 2 relievers that could function as long relievers. So get rid of #13 and call up Sands.

Cruz is having a great year and has turned the corner. However, I would plan on him being a platoon guy next year with Gordon. However, I hope that he continues his present skill level and is a full-time starter in 2013.

Yes, Ethier is a platoon player along with Ellis, M.

Puig is extending Victorino’s contract with the Dodgers.

Can the Dodgers place Blaaton on the waiver wire? :)

I saw Gordon’s name mentioned over at MSTI. I’d rather not, but, if Hanley is going to be our SS, he is only 28 so, if that’s the organizations play…… Gordon is a blue chip that we just may not use properly. Like I said, I would put Hanley at 3rd, if not this year, then certainly after he turns 30. I have no problem putting Gordon at 2b for a year or two, but, that’s me. I know that wouldn’t be a popular move with many. I think a guy like Gordon and his 70 steals and 100+ runs a year potential for the next 12 years is something I wouldn’t want to give up. But…. for Adrian Gonzalez? I’d do it. They ain’t getting Lee in that deal. Ethier and Gordon…. and maybe an A pitcher.

150 pounds? He’s listed at 5’11″ 160. Pounds has nothing to do with it. It has to do with heart. Ever heard of Freddie Patek? Joe Morgan was only about 160 when he broke in. Mel Ott was 5’9″ 170 pounds. Gordon is a hard worker that wants to learn how to play this game. That is good enough for me. In the right organization, this kid will be an All Star for a decade. Is this the right organization? Maybe not. Not if after 500 at bats they are willing to trade him.

Every team needs speed somewhere in the lineup. Where do we have it? Currently we are 17th in stolen bases. You trade Gordon and we drop to 28th.

• Ken says:

160? ROFLOL. 143!

ROFLOL? Really Ken? You are rolling on the floor? Come on. Get up man and join the adults.

143? How do you know that?

I saw him up close and I would say he is between 150 and 160. He is 5’11″ and pretty wiry. If he was 5’8″ and looked like that, then, yeah, 143 could be accurate.

He has been listed at 160 since he was in the minors. But I say AGAIN, weight DOES NOT MATTER. Anyone who believes that is hopelessly misinformed.

8. Kevin says:

Pretty much everything Ken says has me ROFLOL.

9. RogerCraig says:

The Dodgers signed left-hander Julio Urias, Ben Badler of Baseball America reports. Urias, a 16-year-old from Mexico, signed for an unknown amount that will only partially count against the Dodgers’ $2.9MM spending pool for 2012-13. The prospect’s rights were transferred from Mexico City of the Mexican League, so only a limited percentage of the bonus applies to the Dodgers’ pool.

Some scouts considered Urias one of the better pitching prospects available. He has reached 92 mph on the radar gun and his change-up is one of the best secondary pitches in this year’s class, according to Baseball America. Some teams had suggested that Urias would sign along with a few others for more than $1MM and maybe close to $2MM, Badler reported last month.

10. Anonymous says:

Above is Dilbeck’s two cents regarding Gonzalez. I wouldn’t want to include RDLR, but I’d sure love Gonzalez. Wouldn’t that be a novel concept for the Dodgers, a lefthanded hitting power first baseman who can hit lefties. As for Ethier vs. lefties, it really doesn’t make sense, since early in his Dodgers career he did hit lefties very well. Probably needs to take them to left or up the middle. But as things stand now, Ethier creates a huge hole in the Dodgers lineup when he faces lefthanders.

Put me in Badger’s camp when it comes to Gordon. This kid is a star to be. Let’s not forget that he started playing baseball seriously only in his senior year of high school. He needs some polish, but, I believe, that will come, and rather soon. Maturity will ultimately take care of his weight, and will also have a positive influence on both his offense and defense. Gordon is a hard worker, and will turn the corner on things like bunting, and every other aspect of his offensive game. And just like many young shortstop before him, he will cut down on his errors, and give the Dodgers shortstop with a steady glove, and off the charts range. He could play 2B, but so could Cruz if he continues to hit going forward. For me, Mark Ellis is expendable. As for Hanley, as he approaches 30 I believe that even he will recognize that he’s best suited for 3B.

And one other thing about Gordon. When he was playing, I began to see signs that indicated to me that he will ultimately bring extra base power into the lineup, due to speed that will get him doubles on long singles, and increased maturity that will give add to his pop and allow him to drive more balls down the lines and into the gaps.

As for Kemp. I just think he’s become overanxious, and needs to go back to being patient, and stop chasing. Adding Gonzalez would probably help in that respect.

There is no way Boston agrees NOW, to a Gonzales deal with Ethier being the player to be named later (wink wink)

Ethier would have all of September, and hopefully most of October, to keep playing for us. If he got seriously hurt, Boston would not want him. They would not risk having Andre as that ptbnl.

Plus for Boston to save $23 mil a year for the next 5 years, they won’t require tons and tons of prospects.

Good point Bobby. I hadn’t thought of that. They might do it if they had a back-up player, or two, to be named.

This is the way I look at it…. Ethier, an All Star GG outfielder. He would demand at least three prospects in return, so he and 1 top prospect would be the equivalent of 4 prospects for Adrian. Add to that the fact we are taking on an inflated contract and it should be enough. If, as Bobby suggests, having Ethier as the PTBNL is too risky for Boston, then we are back to either Major League players or 4 top prospects. RDLR is certainly a Major League player. RDLR, Loney, and PTBNL (something like Lee, Sands/Webster if Ethier falls through – though there is really no reason to believe he will).

However, to Dilbeck’s suggestion:

“So it would be Loney, De La Rosa, Webster and Sands to the Red Sox, and Gonzalez, Crawford, Beckett to the Dodgers. Maybe some other minor players are involved, maybe the Red Sox do eat some contract.”

I would do that in a heartbeat. If taking on contracts is what needs to be done, then a deal like this one should make everybody happy.

if we move any MLB players before Aug 31, they also will have to clear waivers.

Loney would clear waiver if he was the only 1b left on planet earth, but I’d bet every single team in MLB would claim RDLR!!! He’s a top young player making $500k. Therefore, expect him on the Padres, or whoever is the crappiest NL team right now

No chance of that happening until November!

13. RogerCraig says:

PTBNL. It doesn’t have to happen now!

In my opinion Dee Dee is smaller than Bud Harrelson

Could be. Stats say exactly the same. What do I know. Dee is obviously thinner than anyone else on the team, and he has a baby face which might make him look even smaller. Doesn’t really matter does it? I think this kid could be great. What tools. And a work ethic which the many of the good ones have.

Giants getting it done again tonight. Damn.

It ain’t done yet, but I am.

16. Anonymous says:

this guys hates andre LOL

Remember talking about a team putting together a streak and winning this thing? Well, there is a hot team in the NL West and it ain’t the Dodgers. We are now 3 back and within one bad series of moving into third place.

Anytime boys.