Money Where Their Mouth is and Butts Where The Seats Are

If the Dodgers put their money where their mouth is and take on Josh Beckett, Nick Punto, Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez, then the LA fans better put their butts where the seats are!  That’s all I can say.

The deal can get done and it may not take as many players as I am other have speculated due to the sheer amount of salary the Dodgers would be taking on.  Crawford obviously can’t play if he has had surgery, but Beckett could benefit from changing teams and leagues and Gonzalez would be the missing link.  The lineup would look like this:

1. Victorino  LF (Crawford takes it next year)
  2. Ethier  RF (he’s better here)
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Ramirez  SS
  6. Cruz  3B
  7. Ellis  2B
  8. Ellis C

65 Responses to “Money Where Their Mouth is and Butts Where The Seats Are”

1. Kevin says:

I love it!! Not too crazy about Beckett but if that’s what it takes to get this deal done pull the trigger Ned!

Im so stunned i cant even be happy

this is Salma Hayek saying “yes Bobby I will date you”

I’m down with it.

Will it happen?

I wonder what they might want in return.

According to ESPNBoston (and I think Gordon Edes):

The Dodgers and Red Sox are closing in on a deal that would send Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto to Los Angeles, though a few hurdles remain before it’s official, multiple baseball sources said Friday.

Pitcher Rubby De La Rosa will be headed back to Boston as the centerpiece of the deal, sources say. De La Rosa topped out at 97 mph in his first start of the season last week after coming off Tommy John surgery. Also included are first baseman James Loney and prospects Ivan De Jesus (infielder) and Jerry Sands (outfielder), according to sources, plus another top prospect that is still unknown.

5. Bball says:

Bobby if that’s true. Get it done. Ned gm of year? Money sure makes a difference don’t it

Well, there you go.

I am still down with it.

7. Jae says:

Whoopppppppppppp

8. the truth hurts says:

geez louise…..what are everyones thoughts?

9. Bball says:

Loney scratched from lineup. Holy crap I’m floating on a cloud right now

10. Bobbie17 says:

Deal should be only for Gonzalez. Give up Loney and one major league ready pitcher.
    That’s it. Loney will probably hit a zillion for Boston, but it is time for a change for him. The other guys have had it. Not with a 10 ft pole. A sign of desperation after a sweep and after our Coach publicly said our minor leaguers are no good.

11. Bball says:

AGON scratched too. Not official but this deal is done.

12. Bball says:

Heard on MLB network on the loney thing

13. Kevin says:

No way the Sox do the deal for only Gonzalez. If that was the case teams would be lining up. We’re gonna have to take on a bad contract or two to make this happen. I’m more scared of Crawfords contract than Beckett’s. So we put Beckett in the rotation as our #5 starter and if he tanks next year we eat the $ (which obviously is not an issue).

14. Bball says:

I have to say. I hope ethier is not in the deal. I’ll be ok of he is. I just don’t no who would take his place

15. the truth hurts says:

why is punto involved in this?

I think Crawford will be fine after his surgery. Sure he is overpaid, many of them are. But he brings that element I was talking about with Gordon – speed. He won’t steal 50 anymore, but he can still run. Beckett can still pitch, though not as well as he did a few years ago.

Wonder what the plan for Victorino is? Trade him at next year’s deadline?

This could really work.

• Kevin says:

Victorino is a free agent at the end of the year so we dont even have to worry about that. I think it’s safe to say he ain’t comin back.

17. Bball says:

Badger y would the dodgers even resign him if they plan to trade him.victorino

If Crawford is coming I bet Gordon is going. I’m happy about everything except for Crawford. Wow Beckett and A Gon would be a dream come true. Damn, look what I’ve missed today.

19. Bobbie17 says:

Stupid, desperate deal!!!!The coach tanked the farm system. Now the GM is too. What a terrible signal for the young players on the farm. They will never wear Dodger Blue at the big league level. Yankees of the West–without the success. While the a-holes
    up north developing major league talent and winning. A rotten shame.

I think Bobbie needs a glass of red wine to relax

While THIS Bobby needs to open a bottle of Macallan!!

21. Bball says:

Proven talent for unproven talent. I do that any day. Webster to sox reportedly

22. Bball says:

Bobbie17. Shut up.

23. Glass Is Half Full says:

Holy crap….What a difference a few months makes!

John Morosi of FoxSports says its done:

Loney Sands DeJesus, De la Rosa, and Alan Webster

Im still in shock

25. Kevin says:

RDLR, Sands, AND Webster plus they shed $200+M in salary. I think the Sox won this one guys. No reason we should be giving up both Ruby and Webster.

Word was that we’d be getting cash back too. Let’s see if true and how much

27. Bball says:

Webster and ruby might be good in the future. We need now and they did what they needed to do. Love the deal

28. Kevin says:

You do realize that Crawford contract is for 7 more years right? 7 MORE YEARS!!

29. Bball says:

Kevin. Money is no issue. Crawford will be fine next year

Holy smokes Batman.
    BTW Crawford wil be recuperating from TJ surgery for the next year.

31. the truth hurts says:

ADRIAN GONZALEZ….enough said

Carl Crawford had tj surgery last week. For position players, it takes less time than pitchers to recover, roughly 6 months or so. He’s due back by spring training.

Another position player had tj surgery last August and was back by spring training (I forget his name)

33. Bball says:

Exactly. Some will love and some will hate. That’s life. I love. Good job Ned

I’m in but hate to lose Rubby, he’s a real gem.
    Pack your bag James.

35. Bobbie17 says:

To all of you Boston Dodger fans. We got rid of a Boston owner, and now we got their washed up players. When will they ever learn????????

Maybe I’ll see all the details and hate it. But for now, I love it. Gonzalez fills a huge hole in the Dodger lineup. He, Kemp, Ramirez and maybe even Ethier will feed off of each other. Tough lineup to pitch around. And I hope Gordon isn’t involved, because just the thought of having his speed with Crawford, Kemp and Ramirez is making me drool. This team would have power and speed. On top of it all, A-Gon is a gold glove first baseman, and Crawford a gold glove outfielder. Oh, and with all those guys in the lineup, Gordon would get an awful lot of fastballs to hit. Give the kid some time to mature, and he will be one of the top shortstops in the game.

Maybe Punto is being included to replace Hairston, since the latter is finished for this season.

I hate to lose RDLR, but overall this appears to be a good deal for the now deep-pocketed Dodgers. And because they are deep pocketed, I’m sure the Dodgers will be on the prowl for additional pitching help over the winter (maybe Greinke, maybe someone else).

Now not let me wake up and find this deal hasn’t happened. I’m not counting my chickens until the fat lady sings.

And Bball, ditto to what you said to Bobbie17. Farm systems are used to provide talent, either by advancing it to the big league team or by being the currency used to acquire established big league talent. In either case, the big league team benefits. And with a team that has hard cash like these reborn Dodgers, money is still available to sign more amateur talent to rebuild the talent pipeline. Hence the recent return of the Dodgers to the international market. Who knows, maybe they’ve already signed the next RDLR.

And Mark, you’re absolutely correct. If this deal gets done, Dodger fans better put their butts in the seats. And I believe they will. And this has to bode well for the establishment of a regional network or whatever TV deal the Dodgers are cooking up. These kind of players, accompanied by a winning team will bring in barrels of sponsorship cash. It’s the old story. You have to spend money to make money. These owners, given their wealth, appear to have the ability to do it on a grand scale.

This better get done, or else I’ve just wasted a lot of words.

37. Bball says:

Washed up. AGON is washed up. I don’t think so. I really think you will eat your words Bobbie but only time will tell. You might be the only sane person in the room. Just enjoy it though. These things don’t happen that often

38. Bball says:

Exactly Brooklyn. I just bought tickets to tomorrow nights game to welcome them

Bobbie17, this is all about getting A-Gon, who certainly is not a washed up player. The Dodgers know full well that they’re taking risks with Beckett and Crawford. But because they have the money, it’s a risk they can afford to take in order to fill the gaping hole at first base (unless you think Loney/Rivera is the answer). Maybe used in a more limited role Beckett can regain some of his luster, and from what I’ve heard, Crawford played well when he came back. By next year he might be healthy and ready to contribute on a team where he will no longer be a centerpiece like he was expected to be in Boston. Whatever the case, getting Gonzalez justifies the deal, no matter what happens with Beckett/Crawford. This is the kind of deal that our former Boston owner could never pull off.

• Dodger66 says:

Brooklyn Dodger, I saw alot of Crawford this year, and he looked real good reminded me of the Ray’s version of Crawford though he is exspensive he might solve another huge hole for us in left field next year.

Oh, I forgot about Uribe. Maybe the arrival of Punto enables his release. Maybe.

41. Bball says:

This has me thinking. If this deal does happen. Crawford looks like the long term answer in left. What does this do to the sychy of victorino. He has to no there is no chance he is resigned but the way he is playing who cares right. I just want him to perform still this year and not be like I’m not even gonna try for a team that I no isn’t gonna give me a contract. Follow me

42. Bball says:

And what about puig. I say try him at second. Just ranting now

43. Bobbie17 says:

Brooklyn Dodger: To tell the truth, Punto is a nice player. I like his Minnesota roots and his World Series ring with the Cardinals. But, he is a throw-in. I like the Gonzalez that payed last year, but what about this year? It’s ok to take a chance on him with his relatively young age. The others, wow. Beckett has thrown a lot of balls, going back to the Marlins. How many more? At what price? Crawford hasn’t proven he can play in the spotlight. It was easier in Florida with 10,000 people watching. I hope we don’t give away The Farm.

Yeah, I had the same question about Victorino Bball, but you guys are right. He just plays out the rest of this year and will likely be gone. I’ll bet he isn’t happy about it but, tough. Play like you are in a contract year dude.

I am sorry to see Rubby go too. And Webster also looks like a great prospect. I’ll bet Sands puts serious dents in that wall over there. This is definitely a good deal for Boston and it SHOULD be a good deal for us too.

Carl Crawford MUST be considered a risk. No one knows how players will respond after surgery. I have confidence he will be fine, but that is a lot of money to pay a guy who won’t even be on the field for several months.

45. Bball says:

Mark. Your just say no to uribe sign is obviously accurate but I can’t help but feel sorry for the guy. He’s horrible and not performing bit he’s still a human being. Not knocking you at all just can’t help to feel for a human being. I’m sure he doesn’t want to disappoint like he has. When he goes up to bat I feel so bad for him. I bet he even wishes they would release him. I’m just too sensitive I guess

46. Bball says:

Another thing. What is the hold up on this trade. Everyone on tv is talking like its already happened I need it to be official already. The suspense is killing me

47. SpokaneBob says:

Brooklyn, Dito and Dito.

Badger, you got it. What will motivate Shane more than realizing that he now has to show his stuff to get a big contract for next year.

I so hope this gets done.

48. Bball says:

Lineup next year
    Ss. Gordon
    Lf. Crawford
    Cf. kemp
    1st. Gonzo
    3rd. Ramirez
    Rf. ethier
    2nd. Ellis
    C. Ellis/fed x

That is a pretty potent lineup. Now pitching

1. Kershaw
    2. Resurgent Beckett
    3. Bills/ greinke
    4. Bills/ greinke
    5. Caps

I think that is very worthy of a world series

49. Bball says:

Or instead of Ellis at second.maybe put cano in that spot. You say long shot. Well that’s what you would have said about the gonzo deal. In baseball anything is possible. Ethier just goes yard. Time to step it up. Crunch time

Dave Cameron of fangraphs has an interesting take on this. Can’t say I disagree with him. It’s a great move by Boston. It could be a reckless move by L.A. – or not. Sure hope the fans start showing up to see this.

Speaking of showing up, looks like bad Bills may have shown up tonight. 3 runs in two innings. Maybe he’s just excited.

Wow, I leave for a few hours and we have Greinke now. The new ownership is great. I like Bballs
    enthusiasm

Billy, we too; we take some folks out to dinner, come back — and half the Dodger team might be gone, and a bunch of new faces and some band-aids become Dodgers.

Maybe Cruz is the new 3b for good.

They got their hitting shoes on tonight. Maybe the whole team is lit up.

Settle down Bills. This is your game to win.

Probably another day until all is decided. Crawford and Beckett have trade clause issues – we will see what happens. It could be re-structured….

Wait and see.

55. the truth hurts says:

i’m already 15 beers deep guys, not sure if i can go much longer…

Bills taken out of the game with an elbow problem. Not what we wanted to hear.

Gwynn and Rivera can play LF during April 2013.

Punto to replace URIBE????? PLEEEEEEEASE?

RDLR = Pedro but not with a terrible trade?

Very well thought out article by Nedsucks.

Cost of trade just went up thanks to Bills’ injury?

Call up ELY!

58. Bball says:

If Beckett and Crawford don’t want to come to LA. I think this deals caput. This would sure be a heartbreaker. I thought this would be done by now. I’m starting to worry

59. SpokaneBob says:

I say we hold out until Boston takes Uribe as a throw in.