Josh Beckett Can’t Hit…

Look, I am happy the Dodgers got Adrian Gonzalez and Beckett and the rest, but trading for superstars and signing free agents has not necessarily been a roadmap to success.    Witness the 2012 Orange County Angels.  They have the best Rookie in baseball, the best Player in baseball; the best upcoming Free Agent Pitcher in baseball and a host of others, including Torii Hunter and they are dead in the water.

The Red Sox were loaded this year and now they are re-building.  The Phillies had one of the highest payrolls in baseball and they floundered.

So what happens?  The Dodgers go out and get the following All-Stars:

• Shane Victorino
  • Hanley Ramirez
  • Adrian Gonzalez
  • Josh  Beckett
  • Carl Crawford (OK, he’s not playing, but they got him)
  • Brandon League

and the Rockies shut out a team (the Dodgers) for the first time in 2012.  The first time!  The Dodgers have former All-Stars at 5, count ‘em FIVE positions and they get shut-out 10-0.  10-0!  Go figure.

That was my trepidation about the trades.  I have always hated bullies and have gathered great joy from beating bullies.  When I was young, I remember older kids “stacking” teams so that they would not lose in basketball and I remember beating them.  Stacking a team didn’t guarantee a win.  Stacking a baseball team does not guarantee success.  Money can’t buy me love and money can’t buy me a championship.  Of that, I am sure.

ARE WE NOW THE BULLIES?

That said, all we have to do is win the series.  Last night was just one game.

WIN THE SERIES!

It’s time for Beast Mode.  Do they have that in them?

UPDATE:

I’m not jumping to conclusions on this team.  My hopes are high, but my expectations, not so much!  Time is running out.

Dodger News

• Zach Lee pitched 6 innings and allowed 3 hits, 1 run while striking out 6 and walking 1.   Nice!
  • Josh Beckett deserved better…
  • Dee Gordon was 1-2 with a BB
  • Steve Ames 1.62 ERA – Keep and eye out
  • Yasiel Puig 2-4 with a .375 BA now.
  • Matt Guerrier should be ready Wednesday after pitching a solid inning last night.  He’ll take Wall’s place.

57 Responses to “Josh Beckett Can’t Hit…”

Finished packing . . . game . . . the chemistry needs to find itself or there will be some very very very $%&#@ owners.

See, it is like in New York with the Yankees under George. He paid the money, got the players he wanted AND expected them to win. We have said the new Dodgers are like the Yankees of the West – and with that comes the expectation of winning.

Not – losing too many games against washed up pitchers on poor teams. Gee, if you cannot beat them, then what is left.

Get this train running and moving ahead. The Giants can get caught.

Money can’t buy a championship, that is true. But lack of money is a whole lot worse.

These guys will figure it out. If they don’t? eh, wtf. It’s only money, and the Guggenhymens have plenty more where that came from.

Let’s not jump to conclusions after just a few games. After all, one of the Dodgers that’s been here all year, namely Matt Kemp, is contributing mightily to the stagnant offense. Nobody knows anything for sure, but I do believe that this too shall pass. Maybe when the final story on this season is told, it will be about how the Dodgers got off to a slow start after the arrival of Gonzalez and company, and then suddenly caught fire, won the division, and then swept through the playoffs. Could happen, and then again, not.

Like Badger says, “these guys will figure it out.” After all, they’re only 2.5 games out. Maybe they figure it out in the six games they play against the midgets. Although the way they’re hitting, it’s probably the Dodgers that can be called “midgets”.

Update above!

When we got Manny, we promptly went and lost 8 in a row.

Big picture I see less games like Sunday and yesterday, and more games like Saturday.

Now lets go win the next 2 in col

The Dodgers have too much arrogance and pride to ever promptly figure out what is going on.

The pitchers take weeks to figure out what is wrong with thier throwing motion. Hall of Famers like Tom Seaver never took more than 3 pitches. Ask him.

The hitters take days to figure out that a starting pitcher is not taking the same approach as the guy who started the day before.

Patience is just an excuse for moronic players and their left brain dead coaches.

7. Gonzo says:

Man! The sky is falling. It hasn’t been a week and there are doubters already. What I see from this team reminds me of my students on the first day of school. There are 25 guys that don’t know each other still trying to find there place. Remember this is Matt’s team and these newbies don’t want to step on toes. Give them a few more days to gel and find that equilibrium and the team should be ok. Will it be in time to get to the playoffs? I hope so. If we don’t make it I won’t like it, but I won’t complain because this move was not only for the present but future.

What concerns me is if these players can handle the pressure of ownwership, a fan base, media and haters to win it all? Because a championship is expected now, will they rise up to the challenge or wilt?

At airport, free Internet.

I think some thought with the new additions this batting order would be so good, it would be like batting practice every game.

So, Coors, 4b hits . . . Surprise. And it was a big surprise.

Now we will see if they can figure it out.

9. SpokaneBob says:

The offense has enough explosive parts. What we need is a match to set it off. When will Dee Gordon be back?

I believe Dee could be just what we need. I agree its too soon to panic. If we can gel as a team and get it going by September we will be ok.

I’d like to see one of these line ups asap

Gordon

Kemp
    Agon
    Hanley
    Andre
    Ellis
    Dee

Either way we have a better defense and more explosive offense.

• Kevin says:

Under absolutely no circumstance should Dee be put in the lineup over Cruz. He’s the only one who is hitting!!

Now next year Dee should be the starting SS but you can’t take Cruz out now.

I don’t feel championships are expected this year. At least I don’t expect that. I do expect them to hit the damn ball. That skill doesn’t disappear because you change uniforms. Come on men, you are professional hitters making millions for doing one thing – hitting a baseball. Just ef’n go out there and do it!

11. Rob says:

I like Cruz way better then dee, he has that drive I don’t see in Gordon. Gordon has that lost look at the plate. Victorino almost looks a little deflated knowing his time in LA is only temporary, he has a spark but just doesn’t look like the guy in Philly.

I agree with Kevin, maybe Mark Ellis gets more rest and Cruz plays some 2nd. I don’t know what Donnies going to do but he needs to play the hot hand. Punto will probably not see too much action once Dee returns.

13. Bobbie17 says:

When was the last time money bought anything other than blown expectations and headlines? The Yankees have bought headlines, but have not won. Maybe just getting in the playoffs is good enough these days. This manager is not equipped to deal with these expectations. He does have a tough job, with all the new toys, but there is not enough season left to figure out the personality of this current group. It’s nine individuals doing their individual thing. Kemp is the biggest of these, and now the pressure is on him to keep up. These recent deals blew up the farm system/organization that we all know is necessary to compete for a long time. Who would want to play for this team? Most positions are now locked up for years with no place for a young player to go. My belief is that the recent decisions were business decisions, not baseball decisions. The business is to make headlines so that the 4 billion TV deal gets done. The suits will be happy; the fans not.

“Who would want to play for this team?”

You’re joking…. right?

The point about money that you seem to be missing B17 is that the Yankees, though they don’t win the championship every year, are relevant. They make money and a lot of it. They don’t ever have down years. And YES, making the play-offs IS the goal. It’s the goal of every team in every sport in every league on this planet. You won’t win any championships if you are playing golf after the regular season has ended. Money can guarantee that you at least have an interesting team that has a chance. Ask any fan of any team in MLB if they wish their team could afford to take on $200 million and all of them, except you maybe, would say HELL YES!!!

Now the question is, do the current Dodgers have enough drive to push to the finish line? THAT remains to be seen.

“These recent deals blew up the farm system/organization that we all know is necessary to compete for a long time.”

B17 it’s clear that you just don’t get it. They traded some prospects (some of which I was sorry to see go), and at the same time signed 25 or more international amateur free agents. McCourt never did the latter. In fact, if I remember correctly, the Dodgers were #30 last year in international spending. The farm system is being replenished, and Stan Kasten has a history of being a player development guy. The Dodgers are trying to win now, and build for the future at the same time. Problem is, other than Yasiel Puig, you don’t yet know the names of those international players, and therefore have a hard time relating to them. But only a few years ago you probably never heard of Rubby de la Rosa. And it also appears that the Dodger did OK in the draft.

Within the next few years the Dodgers will have a pipeline of talented young players, and will likely not find it necessary to use the free agent market or make trades every-time they need an upgrade. But that’s not going to happen overnight, and in the meantime we’re likely to see more players added via free agency and trades. And yes, we may well surrender some more of our minor league talent to address current needs. And furthermore, the players the Dodgers acquired are not for one year only. They’re building a foundation for the coming years.

Kasten oversaw the Braves player development system for years, and was a big part of what is now coming to fruition in Washington, with the Nationals. I hated to lose RDLR, and I also liked Sands, but giving them up to get an established player of Gonzalez’caliber was a no brainer.

In sum, the Dodgers have the wherewithal to acquire expensive talent for now, and build a productive player development system at the same time. And they’re setting the stage for a huge TV deal that will bring in more money to fund future expensive stars and an endless pipeline of quality prospects.

• Dave says:

Well put. It is precisely because of the lack of player development under the McCourt regime that new ownership is doing what they are now. Kudos to them. Yeah for big money. It is the answer we as fans have been looking for. As far as young players not wanting to play in the Dodger organization…PLEASE. Any kid who gets drafted is thrilled to make it into the minors. Feeling blocked should not be on one’s mind. Developing and making it to the big league with another team should always be a welcome achievement.

This is Matt Kemps team and until he starts mashing and stops swinging at 3rd strike pitches outside 6 inches high we’re going to have to hope someone else has his head on right. When Kemp gets going this could really awaken the offense from its midsummer nights dream.

Badger – On fire today.

Yes we are all complaining about the hitting but

7 Days

Wall 81.00 :)
    RDLR 27.00
    Jansen 21.60

Capuano 10.80
    Bills 8.10
    Blanton 6.35
    Harang 5.06

Good point.

Who was that guy impersonating Jansen?

At least Beckett didn’t blow up. I think he may like pitching in the NL West.

Michael, you’re right about Kemp, at least to a degree. Getting his offense back would certainly be welcome. But even w/o Kemp this team needs to do better than be shutout in Colorado. That’s generally pretty hard to do, even from an offensively challenged team (which I hope the Dodgers aren’t).

Kemp is still getting some hits to center and right center. But what I’ve noticed about Kemp over the years, is that when he’s swinging too hard and trying to crush the ball, he invariably hits on top of or rolls over the ball, and pulls a lot of ground balls to third or short. He needs to just keep going to center and right center, and eventually the HRs will come.

Could also use a little production out of Hanley too. Swinging at too many pitches out of the strike zone, and seems, like Kemp, that he’s trying to crush everything.

Ultimately, however, I can’t see this continuing much longer (at least I hope it doesn’t). This team should be scoring runs, and most certainly they should be scoring runs in Coors.

19. Gionfriddo says:

Once again,Donnie sitting Cruz in favor of Kennedy… I’ve beat this subject to death here but it’s bad enough we can’t score a run off of a pathetic Rockies staff, but do we need to sit one of our hottest hitters …. The writing is on the wall for Colletti– this team gets into playoffs or his bags will be packed… @ this point it’s not a stretch to assume the same goes for Mattingly & his staff… Continuing to give Kennedy starts over Cruz is not going to help your cause, Donnie……..

20. Rob says:

Scoscia might be available if they send Donnie packing.

We should actually trade Donnie for Scioscia.

You guys see Kasten on PTI today? Impressive guy. Said making the playoffs this year is really not the main goal. It’s on the list, but what they are trying to do is build this franchise for the future. I believed him. The guys we got are all in their prime and the minor league system is really not as bad as it appears, and they are doing everything in their power to improve it.

Make no mistake about it. The Dodgers are back.

Oswalt anyone?

22. Rob says:

No on oswalt, we have enough #5 starters.

By the way, with all the talk about how terrible Kennedy’s been, he’s quietly hitting .261 with a .342 OBP. Not saying he should be starting, but unlike Uribe he’s not an automatic out. In fact, he hit .342 in July and is hitting .385 in August.

Not saying I wouldn’t prefer Cruz, but I can understand why Kennedy’s in the lineup. Besides, unlike some others in here, I’m not sold on Cruz. Maybe he’s figured it out, or maybe he just stays hot for the rest of this year. But he’s not someone I’d count on going forward, other than in a utility role. And which of us hasn’t seen this before, only too see the player return to normalcy the following year? But there are exceptions. I’m just not counting on it.

And by the way, I’m happy with Mattingly. He’s done a nice job with this team, and I have no desire to see him replaced. Nor do I think he will be. And although I would have liked Scioscia to get the job initially, Mattingly has earned the right to continue what he started. And I’m guessing the players feel the same way.

And by the way, I have no problems with the coaching staff in general.

25. Bball says:

Well said brooklyn

26. Bball says:

He hit that hard. Really hard

27. Bball says:

This is pitiful. I wish I could grab victorinos red batting gloves and just slap every player and coach across the face to wake them up. Wtf

28. Rob says:

Already down 4-0, bats better wake up!!

Time to be swept again. But his time by a AAAA team.

30. Rob says:

YES, no shut out!! 4-1!!!!

31. Dave says:

September call-ups time. Time to rest Capuano. He looks spent. “Barney” Fife time again. Start him in place of Capuano next time his spot is due. Howabout starting Ely in place of Blanton next week if Blanton doesn’t pitch well next start?

“No on Owalt…” I agree.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Capuano is a curveball pitcher pitching in Coors at 88 to 89 on his fastball. It should be no surprise that he gets pounded. Kershaw throws at 94 and get pounded. He\’s not spent. He\’s in Coors!

32. jerry says:

donny has his head up his…a ,,, i would of pulled cap, and hit for him..had two men on base..he dont need to give the pitcher there 5 inning..we need to win game..who give a shit about the 5 innng..

• Dave says:

Since I posted. . .Rivera saved a HR, then Capuano gave up what would have been the second of a back-to-back HR had Rivera not caught that ball. Then Donny didn’t bat for Capuano when he should have. . .etc…etc…

Capuano needs rest. I am convinced. Fife is a young, live arm that filled in well in July. Bring him back. Give Ely a start, too. Our starting pitching is very suspect right now outside of Kershaw.

There’s a reason I said back in March that I’d rather spend $12mil on Kuroda and Eovaldi to be our starters than $20+ million for 2 years of Capuano and Harang.

Kuroda is in the AL East has a 2.98 ERA. Cap is now up to 3.6. Harang is god knows where.

• Reggie says:

Hey Moron,

Kuroda makes $10 million this year.

Capuano and Harang make $6 million COMBINED this year.

Let’s see what their stats are:

Kuroda: 12-9 with a 2.98 ERA (175 Innings)

Capuano: 11-9 with a 3.37 ERA (162 Innings)

Harang: 9-8 with a 3.70 ERA (148 Innings)

So, the Dodgers paid $6 million for 310 innings and 20 Wins and the Yankess paid Kuroda $10 million for 12 Wins and 175 Innings.

What are you? A Freaking Dumbass?

Capuano is a curveball pitcher pitching in Coors. Duhhhh?

Fife? You are an imbecile! He has pitched 16 innings and given up 9 walks on just 7 K’s with a 1.50 WHIP and they are hitting .267 against him.

Never post something unless you want us to know how really stupid you are. Geeezzzzz!

34. Bball says:

Easy Reggie easy. I no these games can be hard but it’s not the end of the world

• Reggie says:

The world isn’t ending, but I can’t tolerate idiots!

• Mark_Timmons says:

Reggie, you aced it. But, could you be a little nicer?

• Dave says:

Reggie,

Calling someone you don’t know an idiot, imbecile, moron, dumbass is idiotic itself. I’m guessing you’re probably a nice guy. Losing sucks. I’m unhappy as well. I just happen to think Capuano could benefit from rest late in the season so that he can be sharp when it matters most – in the playoffs and a couple of starts leading up thereto. I think using young fresh arms from the farm is not stupid, etc. Fife may not be the answer long term, but short term, having him start again could prove useful. His ERA was 2.18 if I recall. He kept us in games in all three starts. He is a groundball pitcher. Relax Reggie, I’ll post when I feel like it.

• Bobby says:

Reggie’s little rant there was hilarious to read.

He doesn’t seem to realize that Harang and Cap, while making only 6 mil combined this year, make like 13 mil combined next season, when we really don’t need them. He also fails to realize that Kuroda PLUS Eovaldi would have more wins and all around better numbers than Cap/Harang. He also skews the facts ala George Bush and doesn’t realize Cap’s ERA is 3.58, not 3.38. He gives Cap an excuse for pitching in Coors Field but not giving Kuroda any excuse for pitching in the AL East.

Cap/Harang have a combined ERA of roughly 3.65. Not bad by any means, but I’d wager anything that Kuroda/Eovaldi would have much better numbers, AND wouldn’t cost 13 mil combined next season.

Cute try there, son. Try again

This game is so bad I think I will just watch the convention.

36. Rob says:

Bad doesn’t describe this game, the giants look like they are going to win which burns even more

37. Bball says:

Ken nothing is ever bad enough to resort to that

This team has some issues. The Dodgers went out and got the hitters they need, and sudden;y they can\’t hit.

Capuano has a hard time in Coors – so does Clayton. No surprise.

Hit the damn ball.

The Dodgers aren\’t.

Chumps!

39. DodgerDude says:

What a horrendous series so far. The Dodgers have no clue how to hit. It must be something contagious…

40. Rob says:

The west I think is out of reach with the teams we have to play compared to the gints. How disappointing. Next year will be alot better but this stings.

We aren’t eliminated yet.

Never give up.

Coors Field isn’t the problem. Other pitchers have to pitch there. Adjust.

A win streak will solve our problems. We’re due. Hang in there. We have several more against the midgets. Just kick their ass.

41. Gionfriddo says:

Terrible.. Pathetic.. Pitiful.. any word will suffice to describe this act in Colorado.. They have picked a bad time to fall flat but luckily there are 32 games left and let’s not forget what happened during last years pennant chases in the NL and AL.. several teams imploded in the last 4 weeks.. hell, some teams imploded from games 154 thru 162 (hello Atlanta and Boston).. So, that being said I still believe this team has a run in them where they will get hot and rattle off a huge winning streak..

One last item– with our best look at this game in the 4th with the bases juiced, nobody out and the score 5-1 who did LA have walking up to the dish?? was it the guy hitting .400 with RISP (23 rbi)??? was it the guy hitting .500 with the bags packed(2-4, very small sample size, I know)??? Unfortunately, that guy was NOT Luis Cruz who was at the plate… sadly, it was not Cruz, who in 71 August AB’s has hit .352 and in the last 14 days is at .378 (17-45).. Broken record here— Cruz has earned the right to play every day down the stretch. Is he our future at 3rd or SS?? absolutely not, but he has proven to be clutch over and over the last month and what Donnie Baseball did tonite is hurt his teams chances at success by sitting the hotter hand… IMO, if Kasten and the brass are not scratching their heads at this managerial decision, then I am at complete loss for words…

1. [...] Josh Beckett Can’t Hit… … which is why the Dodgers lost the game last night.  If he could have hit a couple or three homeruns, the Dodgers would have had a chance. Look, I am happy the Dodgers got Adrian Gonzalez and Beckett and the rest, but trading for superstars and signing free agents has not necessarily been a [...]… [...]