Categorized | David Caldwell

Holes to Fill

1. Victorino               Last   7 games                 .200-HOLE (5/25)

2. Ellis                          Last 11 games              .278-HOLE (10/36)

3. Kemp                       Last 10 games             .410-EXCELLENT (16/39)

4. Ethier                      Last 10 games               .194-HOLE (7/36)

5. Ramirez                  Last 10 games               .205-HOLE (8/39)

6. Loney/Rivera                                                      CRATER HOLE

7. Cruz                          Last 10 games              .235-HOLE (8/34)

8. Ellis                           Last 10 games              .345 EXCELLENT (10/29)

• Rivera-.212 (7/33) & Loney-.269(7/26)
  • Hairston- .133 (4/30)

The way I look at it, we have SEVEN offensive holes on this team including the pitcher…which means not a lot of runs when you can pitch around your superstar for automatic outs in the 4-7 slots.  Add in the pitcher’s spot and the number 2 spot and….

…….we got 99 problems but not scoring runs ain’t one!

•  As much as I like Mark Ellis, he does not get the job done in the #2 spot at the top of the order.  Once this season is over, we must upgrade.  We are the Dodgers, we need an Utley clone.
  •  Hanley Ramirez is a very big name and I was thrilled to have him on board, but not batting .205!
  •  Ethier, aka Mr. Softee, has vanished.  Was the extension a huge mistake?  I THINK SO!
  •  Cruz control, love the kid, just not the long term answer…is Dee Gordon? No clue.
  •  As mentioned before, the Dodgers 1st base platoon is the ugliest monster in the majors this season.  We need some thunder day in and day out from this position!  Let’s go get someone, anyone!  PLEASE, I am begging….

Not an offensive juggernaut anyone should be scared of this season, unfortunately.  There is a lot of work to do this off-season.

On a positive note, Kemp and AJ Ellis are playing great…..

33 Responses to “Holes to Fill”

1. Reggie says:

A- Holes!

I am absolutely speechless. What a pathetic team! They should join the Rookie League and play with Ogden, who could beat them!

Mark: locked out . .

3818-6bd7-34e4-64f9

The sad thing is our pitching has been pretty damn good lately. What the hell happenned to the sticks? Since the team left San Francisco they have looked like a different bunch. Even the sweep of the Cubs was hard to watch.

This next road trip will bury us if this is the production we are going to get.

This team just doesn’t have the hitters that other teams in the NL do. But, they aren’t as bad as they have shown. We have good pitching. We just need a few guys to step up and get some timely hits. I trust it will come together soon. If it doesn’t, then we know what needs to be done in the off season. We all knew this would be a process.

6. The Redhead says:

the truth is definitely hurting :-/

It\’s the Lefthanders that are really killing us:

Gwynn, Jr., Ethier, Loney, Gordon, Victorino, Kennedy – all Lefthanded and all under-performing.

Here\’s what is ironic: Our hitting coach is a LH Hitter and our former Hitting Coach (Mattingly) is a LH.

That\’s more than a co-incidence.

Dave Hansen needs to say bye-bye and Tim Wallach needs to take over. It\’s not too late!

8. Mark Timmons says:

Roger,

Here’s the IT Response:

Logging says that he is using a double dash “- -“ (…Dodgers playing abilities — others would cry…)

The system interprets this as a possible attack on the database and that’s why his posts were being blocked.

He should be able to post now because it only blocks for a certain length of time before it unblocks.

9. Bobbie17 says:

Whoever chose Hansen as hitting coach should be let go along with him. You can’t
    do it now, but when this crappy season is over. I suspect it’s the manager. Hansen was just competent as a player, and less than that as a coach, if results mean anything. Last in baseball in home runs. Wow.

Your length of time is too long.

Only 2 regulars are batting higher than .250 in the last 7 games.

Ellis .353 &
    Ellis .267

Screw the CBA

Require all players who have 5 years of MLB experience or earn $1,000,000 or more to hire their own batting coach. The team batting coach will coordinate with the veteran’s batting coaches and help in the player development of non-veterans.

When a player becomes a veteran they need to accept their own responsibility for their failures.

How long does it take to figure out a player’s change in their swing. About 10 minutes when watching video. All of th coaches, special assistants, and player share in the failure of the Dodger batting. Their swings change for a month with no concequence form the team, coaches, or certainly the hitting instructor.

Rameriz – Move closer to the plate 1.5 inches, shorten his timing step by 1 inche, move his hands closer to his body by 1.5 inches, lenghten the time before he releases his hands by .25 seconds, and attempt to hit the ball up the middle. I saw these differrences between his 2012 swing and his 2009 swing in less than 5 minutes.

Fire all of the BUMS!

Why can\’t they do it now? If they do it will the players stop hitting? They already have. I see nothing but good that could come from a change NOW!

If it\’s broke – FIX it now. Don\’t wait until the season is over!

This reminds me of 2008, when we got Manny, and were all excited, and then somehow lost 8 in a row, only to come back and win 8 in a row.

Thank god we’re only 1.5 out despite sucking lately. Still got 7 weeks to go, and I think we win this division by 3-4 games at least.

Another thing that may help is that I may stop going to games. I’m 1-3 so far this year (only win being opening day)

Who on this team are considered hitters?

I got Kemp, Ethier and Ramirez. That’s it. Victorino is a career .276 hitter, and I hope he can hit that the rest of the way, but, what bat comes to L.A. and actually gets better?

Who else on this team do you expect to all of a sudden have career years? AJ has been a pleasant surprise for me, but Loney, Rivera, Ellis and Cruz are all mediocre hitters. They have been for most of their careers. Do you really think a different hitting coach is going to change Loney? These guys are what they are.

Hopefully these guys will get hot and put together a decent streak, but if Kemp, Ethier and Ramirez aren’t getting it done, we are going to need to hold teams under 3 runs to win.

Again, I haven’t been watching lately with the same regularity as in the past. However, I have never subscribed to the argument I hear over and over again about the coaching. I doubt if the Dodgers need a new hitting coach, and I’m fine with the rest of the coaches. Coaching I believe is the least of the Dodgers problems.

As currently constructed, the Dodgers lineup has some holes, but not so many that it cannot generate more offense than we’ve been seeing lately. Maybe it’s just one of those down periods that happen to teams from time to time, maybe, given the changes that have occurred this team just needs a little time to mesh, and maybe the players are just pressing, and perhaps trying too hard. It may be all of those things, it may be some of those things, and it may be none of them. I don’t have the answer, but I do believe that this too shall pass.

Victorino – At some point I expect him to catch fire, or at least begin to consistently produce at the plate.

Hairston – For the time being (at least until Gordon returns), Hanley needs to be at short and Hairston in the lineup everyday. Cruz is down to .240, and will likely, for the most part, stop hitting, and revert to his historical norms (maybe a little better, since he seems to have added some pop since he was younger).

Kemp – Not yet consistently driving in runs and hitting for the power we’ve come to expect. Hopefully, it’s the result of his extended layoff, and that we will soon begin to see the Matt Kemp we’ve grown accustomed to.

Ramirez – As noted above he should remain at short, at least until Gordon returns. Hasn’t hit like we’d expect, but that could change any second. Maybe he still needs some time to adjust to his new surroundings, but in the long run I believe he will produce. And for certain, he’s a huge upgrade over Uribe, and all the other suspects we’ve played at 3B this year.

Ethier – Hopefully he can come alive, produce consistently, and with power. And he needs to hit lefthanders consistently. Against lefthanded pitching he has become a big out hitting in conjunction with both Kemp, and Ramirez. Our big three is more like a big 2.5. And throw in Victorino, and out big 4 shrinks to a 3.5 (maybe 3.25).

Loney/Rivera – Needs to be replaced. Either Sands gets the opportunity to play everyday and get comfortable, or the Dodgers pull off a deal that gets us an experienced run producing big league bat at 1B. Without a deal I say it should be Sands everyday, because at least he’s an unknown, whereas Loney/Rivera is a known mediocrity.

Mark Ellis – He’s at 2B unless we can find better; which is not likely to occur this season. He’s more than serviceable, but by no means is he a panacea. And if the other parts work, I think he’s OK for the time being.

Luis Cruz – See above next to Hairston. I doubt if he’s the answer to anything for very much longer. Just like I don’t think the current Dodgers hitting outage will continue, I also am not blinded by Cruz’s early success. I believe he is what he is, and was. Hope I’m wrong, but doubt if I am.

A.J. Ellis – I thought going into the season that he was a .260 – .280 hitter. Well, he currently at the high end of that, and has shown a lot more power than anyone expected. And even though he’s done some hitting of late, I think he needs to remain in the 8th slot. It’s where he’s produced the most, and it’s where, I believe, he fits best.

If Victorino, Kemp, Ethier and Ramirez give us the production we expect of them, then I believe, the Dodgers will at some point catch fire. And remember, we play the D-Backs 6 more times and the Midgets 9 more times. There’s still plenty of time for the Dodgers to do some damage. Dee Gordon producing when he comes back would be nice, but certainly is not a given.

Bottom line is that I think this team will pick it up offensively. When I don’t know (hopefully soon), and to what extent I haven’t clue. But I do believe it will happen. And hopefully, Uribe will follow the fate Gwynn out of LA.

15. Gionfriddo says:

I don’t subscribe to the “fire the hitting coach” theory.. quite frankly, it is short sighted to go that route. We can analyze players’ #’s, their approach, their stances, etc, but bottom line, these guys are pros who have succeeded at every level in the minors and now the bigs. We are going to bag Hansen for the struggles of Loney? Rivera?? Ethier vs LH’s?? So, using that theory, we can hang ALL of Kemps’ success last year on Hansen’s tutelege (since Kemp struggled under Pentland the previous year)…That is flawed logic fellas..

Dodger Trades – Are the players better or worse for the trade?

Victorino .200 – Worse
    Lindblom 3.86 – Worse
    E. Martin 1.46 – Better

League 9.00 – Worse
    Bawcom 2.60 – Better
    Landry .414 – Better

Rameriz .240 – Worse
    Choate 5.79 – Worse
    Eovaldi 8.59 – Worse
    McGough 1.59 – Better

Looks like the dodger minor league players were not participating in positive player development situations as they have all improved, even if promoted to a higher level, with their new player development programs.

All 4 MLB players are worse than they were at their prior team. Great Dodger coaching and great dugout chemistry? NOT

If Pete Rose is not in the Hall of Fame because of his activities while he was a Manager, then Gil Hodges should be in the HOF because of his activities while he was a Manager.

• Michael says:

Gil should be in for what he did as a player but did he manage the miracle Mets?
      Pete Rose is not in the HOF because he was, is and always will be a Dick.

• Ken says:

69 Mets!

The writers will not vote Gil into the HOF but at least if they have any brains they will be intellectually consistent.

The Dodgers have the second best pitching in all of baseball according to MLB sortable team stats. Unfortunatly we rank 22nd in batting{wow theres’ someone worse}and 22nd in fielding. The teams 67 HRs easily takes the distinction of being last of all 30 MLB teams.

19. LASLIM says:

Is it possible that the Dodgers can move up Yasiel Puig if he continues what he’s doing? The guy is tearing up Single A. Would they move him up to AA or AAA before considering bringing him up?

20. Kevin says:

Not sure I’d lump Mark Ellis and his .278 BA as a HOLE.

I hope that the Rockies sweep the Dodgers tonite. Maybe then there will be a 10 hour team meeting after an all night Ned and crew self evaluation meeting before the Crazy Guggenhiems fire or DFA ten people by Friday.

Stick a fork in the win dodgers, they are done.
    All we need to see is the new ways that the Dodgers will lose the game.

After certain people kicked out of their positions will I have Hope that real Change occur will next year.

Nice pregame interview with Jerry Sands. He went about as far as a young kid can go without saying the Dodger hitting instructors RELLY screwed up his swing and last month he finnaly said to H… with this and went back to his old swing.

23. Bball says:

Wow. What a way to start

Matt played that ball like the Dodgers have been playing baseball – a bunch of old men.

There goes Bills’ no-hitter.

25. Corey says:

I don’t understand why Sands doesn’t get a chance. Give him 10 games and see if he stays hot. We already know what we’re going to get with Loney and Rivera, which isn’t much. There’s no way if you just plug Sands in there he doesn’t give you at least the .250 those two are combining for, with more home runs.

26. Rob says:

I agree Corey, let’s sands play. He cant do any worse then Rivera (0-3 with a double play with the bases loaded) or loney. At least sands can run a lot better then those two.

Agree about Sands. What is here for if not to play?

Did I read that midget score right?

Top of the order getting it done tonight. Bottom? eh, not so much, but who needs ‘em when 1-5 has 9 hits and 6 ribbies through 6.

Now finish it.

27. jerry says:

victorino had a real good game to night..he been on base in the last 2 game..some time by a walk..but stolen 2 or more base now.so he is picky it up..

28. Rob says:

Castellanos is getting his reps at 1st base with the isotopes, maybe he is our future 1st baseman. While we wait please give sands a chance at first for at least a series to see what he can do!

Dodgers – I’m not impressed :)