Categorized | David Caldwell

Headache

What I meant to say a couple days ago is that the Giants are going to sweep the Dodgers.

What do you know, the Dodgers once again make a struggling pitcher look really good.

This team ceases to amaze, great road trip against the NL east followed by a possible sweep of the Giants at home, should we have expected anything else?

I think  we all agree without Kemp and Ethier hitting, we are going nowhere.  Thank goodness for Hanley, so we can at least save face.

• Ethier looks AWFUL,  I mean awful in the sense that he is losing all credibility with me.  What happened to this guy?
  • I don’t even know how much I like Victorino anymore, put Cruz in the lead off spot
  • I could vent for days, if this continues, I will

Blanton can’t  buy a win, here is the Lee/Dempster/Blanton ticker since the deadline:

Each has pitched 4 games-

Dempster is 2-1, 28 hits, 17 ER

Blanton is 0-3, 28 hits, 18 ER

Lee is 0-1, 32 hits, 13 ER

The problem is  not pitching, the problem is hitting.

These guys either show or no-show, there is no in between.

I don’t know what else to say, we need to WIN tonight. Period.

38 Responses to “Headache”

Mark, you just nailed the difference between teams that go to the post season and teams that do not.

The Giants are seeming to take advantage of the little things to win games. And the Dodgers are not getting even the basic things, like base hits.

Dodger relief guys last night: Elbert – zip; League – zip; Choate – zip; Wright – zip.

Starter – goes 5.2 with 10 hits and 4 runs.

That is really not so bad, but as Mark says . . . if you do not score you do not win.

Kemp is not rising to the occasion like he did earlier in the season, right now.

Also, Giant pitchers only gave up 1 walk to the Dodgers. I count on more.

Things got to turn around soon.

2. Kevin says:

Want to know the real problem? We aren’t taking care of business at thome. We are 8-12 our last 20 at the Ravine and they’re averaging 1.9 runs a game in the losses. Good thing for that second wildcard….

29th in runs – 20th in avg. – 19th in OBP – 29th in slg. %

3rd in ERA – 1st in Quality Starts – 5th in WHIP – 3rd in BAA

Yeah, it’s the hitting.

Obviously Kemp, Ethier and Ramirez may not be enough. The team needs a lineup that has hitters all the way through it. You know, like the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim or the Gnu Your Yankees of Gnu Yourk – the Texas Rangers of Texas and the St. Louis Cardinals of Missouri.

Kemp and Ethier come out of their comas, we got a shot. They don’t…. this team is done.

I was at the game last night and from what I saw, the Giants hit the ball hard and we don’t. They are doing the basic things correct and we’re not. I still can’t believe Wallach sent AJ Ellis and had him thrown out at the plate by 6 feet. It was not a pretty site in person and I bet it didn’t look any better on TV. What a big let down after a great road trip.

5. Kevin says:

Badger…..you hit the nail on the head, down by 4 with no one out you NEVER send the runner unless you are 100% sure he’s going to score. That play was deflating and took away all chances for a big inning.

Good article below about Ethier. Not newsbreaking stuff but this guys got it right. Despite the big contract Ethier should not be facing lefties.

Where is the Cavalry?

Last 7 Days

Uribe .000 3AB
    Treanor .000 5AB
    Kemp .080 (Post Don Newcomb’s comments)
    Rivera .091 (Where is Sands?)
    Ethier .148 (Platoon guy-Casty?)
    Ellis AJ .200 (Need a 3rd catcher more than 13 pitchers)
    Victorino .207 (Hitting for a new contrct :))
    Ellis M .250

Did anyone else hear Don Newcomb’s comments about Matt Kemp’s 2010 problems on Civil Rights Game Day right after he was talking about substance abuse? There was absolutely was NO segway between these 2 topics and very much implied a connection between the topics :(

Hairston to 60-Day DL?

No Cavalry. It’s Kemp and Ethier or it doesn’t get done. That is why they are paid what they are paid to hit in the middle of the order.

Did not hear Newcomb’s comments. Will try to find them.

8. the truth hurts says:

colon 50 game suspension for PEDS….the truth is, ITS EVERYWHERE!

9. Bobbie17 says:

What has Kemp done since he and his manager got tossed on the road? Maybe someone knows.

If his test was positive I am gonna snap.

11. Kevin says:

We’ve got to find someone else to start in Blanton’s place. Anybody but Blanton! I don’t care if it’s RDLR, Ely, or Fife. If we don’t make this switch soon we are pretty much guaranteeing ourselves a loss every 5th day.

Noticed this on the Dodger site:

Worth noting
    • The Giants head into the final game of their six-game road trip with a 4-1 record.

• The Dodgers are 6-11 at home since the All-Star break.

• Capuano is 1-5 with a 5.00 ERA in 10 career games (six starts) against the Giants.

• The Giants are 13-2 when they score three or more runs behind Cain, and he is 11-0 in such games.
    ——————-
    Lots to do now . . . and if the guys do not get it going, and cannot make it up on the last series against the Giants – they will have to do in Spring Training in 2013.

I’ll be there tonight. I really don’t want to be there, but I will… :(

On August 18th, Newcomb was talking about 2010, the many talks that he had with Kemp, the changes that were made, right after talking about His own drinking problems. Newcomb could not been any clearer without comimng out and saying that Kemp had a drinking problem in 2010.

Maybe Newcomb will clarify his comments especially

15. Kevin says:

Ken you have no idea what he meant so stop speculating. Your ridiculous.

Gee, I just looked at Kemp’s last 10 games. He is hitting .179 with zero (0) HRs and 6 RBIs and 3 of those were in 1 game.

In that time, his average has dropped from .356 to .333.

Heck, drop him to #7 or #8 in the order, and bring Cruz up, at least he hits the ball hard.

Then, I looked at Ethier. In the past 10 games, he is hitting the same thing: .179 with 1 HR and 5 RBIs.

If the guys do not shake this and win the number of games it takes – you folks are right – it will be this duet of Kemp & Ethier that lost the race.

We do not expect: Ellis or Ellis or Loney or who ever is playing 3B to carry this team on their shoulders – but K & E are paid and placed in the order to do that.

17. Bobbie17 says:

I saw Kemp get tossed in a 3A game in Vegas after arguing balls and strikes. I thought he was a crybaby then. I don’t know what to think now. If you perform, I guess no one cares. If you don’t, you remain a crybaby in the Bigs. Is he still pouting?

18. Jae says:

Adrian Gonzalez was just placed on waivers so that he can be traded to the Dodgers

19. Bball says:

I hope Ned pulls this one off. This is off subject but is any body else just fed up with this strasburg innings limit crap. I have Sirius xm and I listen or should say want to listen to MLB network radio but this is all they talk about. That being said I live in the Bakersfield ca area and was just wondering if there were a dodgers talk station that reaches hear or that’s maybe on Sirius xm. If someone could help I’d sure appreciate it. Thanks

It’s the right fit.

What team might step in front of that punch? There are only a couple that can afford a contract like that, and the one we should worry most about picks after us.

I couldn’t care less about the Strasburg drama. The team has decided it has too much invested in the young arm to have him blow it out with over work. I am fine with the decision. Who wants to face that guy in a play-off series?

Off to a great start tonight. A light hitting SS with 1 career home run goes yard in the first inning off Capuano and the Dodgers so far are 1 for 10.

22. Rob says:

This is depressing, I came to LA for this? I think I brought some bad luck to the team.

Hey, Kemp is improving. He just did a Mark Ellis, that is, grounding out to the second baseman to move the runner at 2nd base to third base. Give him a high-five !!!

24. Bball says:

Headache has now turned into coma. Come on AGON we need you

25. the truth hurts says:

if we lose, don needs to call a mandatory team meeting after the game- or better yet, how about our team leader, Matt Kemp, try to do a little soul searching with the team and do some motivating….

26. Glass Is Half Full says:

Wake me when it’s over!

Kevin

DID YOU LISTEN TO THE INTERVIEW WITH DON NEWCOMBE?

As I said a few days ago if the Dodgers are swept by the Giants then Sands whould be called up. Lets see if Neddy has the guts.

29. Win for Vin says:

In the “for what it’s worth” column…the Brewers released Randy Wolfe…on his birthday (according to mlbtraderumors.com) and is going home to LA to work out…maybe he’s worth a try-out…just saying.

Can Wolf hit?

dbacks win two. They aren’t going away. And it would appear the midgets aren’t missing Melky all that much.

Something is wrong with Kemp. Don’t know what it is, but they better figure it out. I think we have Ethier figured out. Streak hitter. Always has been. Can’t hit lefties. And, his three year splits – ’09 to ’11 – tell me this is nothing new. (.215, .608 OPS) Why did he get that huge contract? FYI, Adrian Gonzalez over that same period hits lefties at .296, .828 OPS. He clobbers righties too of course. 1.001 OPS.

I’m going to bed.

Hopefully by the week-end Adrian is a Dodger. This team needs help.

31. Rob says:

Well for what it’s worth at least they didn’t just roll over. They tried to comeback but the lead was just too much. Kemp striking out to end the game defined how the series played out “Awful”

I was there. That was a total waste of my time (but the ice cream sandwich wasnt bad)

I would LOVE A-gone!! Please make it happen!