Some games, you have to win with pitching. The Dodgers didn’t do that last night. Chris Capuano continued to pitch extremely well… well enough to win. Maybe Donnie should have kept him in, but it’s easy to second guess. At any rate, he brought in Belisario who allowed both runners to score, preventing Capuano from winning the game. Brandon League then came in and got saddled with the loss. Right now, League and Belisario are the same pitcher – they can be really good or really bad, from pitch-to-pitch, and Jamie Wright makes me nauseated every time he takes the mound. Brandon League has filthy stuff – he just has no idea where it is going.
Before the season started, I predicted that Chris Capuano would win 20 games – that was obviously wrong. However, as he sits at 11 wins, you need to realize that the bullpen has blown 4 or 5 games for him. He could have 15 to 16 wins right now, if not for the pen that betrayed him again.
Luis Cruz is making a case to keep him on the roster, while Loney, Rivera, Treanor and Uribe simply are killing the Dodgers. If money were not a factor, would those players be on the team? NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT! What would be the harm to DFA all of them and call up Elbert, FedEx, Sands and Castellanos? The team might very well be much better. No way it would be worse. No way!
I talked to old friend Jared Massey last night (he’s doing well after being sick for a while). He’s a fun guy to talk about Dodger baseball. We discussed Puig and Pederson and feel like the Dodgers may call both up to AA by season’s end, so that they can play in the AFL.
Here’s a prediction most of you won’t agree with:
Dee Gordon will be the catalyst that propels the Dodgers into the playoffs and maybe the World Series.
Minor League News:
- Jerry Sands with 2 more RBI (94) is OPSing .913.
- Zach Lee pitched 5 .1 innings and allowed 6 hits and 1 run while striking out 5.
- Yasiel Puig was 3-5 with 2 runs and a SB. He is now hitting .438 after 4 games. He will most certainly go to Chattanooga next week.
- Joc Pederson hit his 17th HR
- Corey Seager was 2-5 with a double and his 5th HR.
- James Baldwin stole 3 bases on 1 hit. He now has 47 SB’s but it’s too bad he can’t steal 1B as he is only hitting .208.
From Justin Gunsaulus:
Live from Atlanta, Georgia
I don’t blame tonight’s loss on any one player. I blame it on our manager, Don who left Chris out on the mound two batters too long. We have a bullpen so use it. Ronald in the eighth and Kenley in the ninth – use them!!!! Don mismanaged the top of the eleventh by letting Juan ground ball into a double play. Rivera swing away instead of bunting Hanley to second, but that’s my opinion. For the first time I saw Matt Kemp jawing with a Braves fan. Maybe he hasn’t got his frustration out from yesterday but I have never seen Matt make an attempt to lock heads with a fan.
As the night progressed a Braves fan kept calling certain Dodger players “fat” or “chunky.” Repeatedly. Every at bat, every play. First Luis Cruz then Ronald but as we went into the later innings his vision was skewed by my friend natty and was calling every Dodger player “fat or chunky.” As I drive back my ears are ringing “fat and chunky.” Thank you Atlanta.
- Ethier had a big night.
- My beard is coming in nice for Chad’s start Sunday.
- Dee Gordon please hurry back!!!! We need a shortstop not an outfielder playing shortstop.
- Can we give Jerry Sands a look at first? Or is Ned set on him like he was with James McDonald who by the way pitched a gem tonight.
This is Nedsucks signing off