Categorized | David Caldwell

Blanton’s De-Blue

Since the “start of the season” Thursday, the bums are 3-0. Undefeated!

Nice to complete the sweep of the Cubbies at Dodger Stadium for the first time since 1998, but really, did we expect anything less?  If we plan on winning this division, that has to happen.  Vin said it best “We have to continue to beat the teams that are struggling.”

I accept nothing less then a 4-2 record over the upcoming Colorado and Miami series!  Prime time to gain some ground!

The Rockies are 2-8 in their last ten games and currently hold the second worst record in the bigs, another sweep would be nice!  Hopefully the defending World Series Champs can help us out this week by beating the Giants 4 in a row starting Monday.  The snakes hit a speed bump and hopefully continue….

10 games following Colorado and Miami- 4@Pittsburgh/3@Atlanta/3vs San Fran, we are going to learn a lot over the next couple weeks.  Any predictions over that stretch?

The “Blanton-Lee-Dempster” ticker based upon their last start:

Blanton-    6 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, ND (0-0)

Lee-              8 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, ND (0-0)

Dempster-  4.2IP, 9 H, 8 ER, ND (0-0)

Advantage-Blanton/Lee tie…….I plan to keep track of these guys to see if Ned really is a genius!

In case you didn’t know, this guy Blanton, is a STUD in the second half-4th best pitcher in the majors since 2008 in the second half….nice read:

Kershaw/Bills/Blanton is a great 1-2-3 assuming Bills keeps the beard.  Add Harang and Caps as your 4-5,  that has to be one of the best rotations in baseball.   2nd in MLB in pitching proves that!

Now, if Harang bounces back from his shellacking last week and Caps returns to first half form, we win this division.

• It seems like every time I post, HanRam does something spectacular…..We still see you!
  • Victorino-he is ice cold, wait until he is red hot!
  • Cruz control continues-the “Cruuuuuz” jeers coming from the stands is gaining popularity-certainly making a name for himself
  • Nice to see Ethier getting the big hit, I almost fell out of my chair
  • The pen blew it, our offense bailed us out, the pen blew it again, our offense bailed us out, what do you know!
  • How about we sign Melky Cabrera from the Giants this offseason?

16 Responses to “Blanton’s De-Blue”

1. Josh says:

Cruz..It’s really nice to see a long time AAA veteran making an impact when non one expected him to.

2. Rob says:

Cruz will make that decision awfully hard when dee gets back

3. Gonzo says:

Blanton has always been a good pitcher. Nice pick up. I too hope he resigns with us. Advice for my fellow countryman Luis Cruz: WIN THE CROWD, WIN YOUR FREEDOM. He’s doing it and many fans are taking notice. This dude plays hard and the right way. For the millionth time I say Donnie MUST play Cruz when Dee is back.

I’ll also repeat myself in saying that I’m not that high on dee. Unless he has Larry bowa’s schedule and takes thousands of ground balls every day to become a better fielder, I don’t expect much from him. To me he’s Alfredo Griffin 2.0.

Alfredo Griffin who was rookie of the year, a gold glove winner, and an all star?

Umm, I’ll take it

I have mixed feelings about Dee. The dynamic is different now. I had accepted the fact that this was an OJT year for him, and it was fine with me because I never expected the Dodgers to be in a pennant race. Now that we have turned over 20% of this roster in an effort to win the West, what do we do with a rookie lead-off guy that is still making rookie mistakes? Bummer he has missed so much time as all those games would have made his game that much better. I think as long as Cruz is playing well, and the Dodgers are in this thing, sending Dee to AAA for a while should be in the discussion.

I believe it’s obvious that this is going to come down to how we finish in the division. We beat the teams in the West at a .600 rate, we will be in the play-offs. We don’t, and we won’t. I don’t think the WC will come out of our division. Just a hunch.

6. Gonzo says:

Sure bobby if you want to catch lightning in a bottle. I’m talking about Alfredo griffin with the career .249 avg /1688 hits/527 RBIs. Two years of accolades does not a good baseball player make in today’s game. I hear Todd Hollandsworth might be available he won ROY.

Mike Scioscia, who I trust more than I trust my or your opinion when it comes to baseball, called Alfredo Griffin the Ozzie Smith of the AL.

Funny how you compare Dee and his 17 errors to the “Ozzie Smith of the AL”, but like I said, I’ll take it!!

Todd Hollandsworth wasn’t an all star or a gold glove and didn’t play 16 years in the bigs

I’d love to see a ROY award and Gold Glove out of Gordon. I doubt we see either. What I would like to see is improvement in the field, and a .350 OBP. We get that, and this kid will be an All Star. Maury Wills once stole 94 bases with a .330 OBP. I think this kid has the speed to do something similar… ok, maybe not 94 but….. certainly 93. He has Wills to teach him. He steals them now without a good jump.

9. Kevin says:

Surprised so many of you want us to resign Blanton. Joe Blanton…..are you kidding me?? I don’t care what his second half stats are the guy is as mediocre as they come. I’d stay away from any pitcher who has an ERA in the mid 4′s and leads the league in HR’s allowed. Plus we already have too many subpar pitchers signed for next year (Cap, Harang, Lilly)….and what about RDLR? I like the move to help us this year but after this please Ned just say no!

Every Big Deal in July is a FLOP so far!

7 Day Stats

Wright 18.00
    Choate 16.20 Big Deal
    Harang 12.60
    League 10.80 Big Deal
    Capuano 7.50

Uribe .000 2 AB (Who let him play?)
    Treanor .000 2 AB (Watching too much TV?)
    Hairston .000 12 AB (Stick a fork in him!)
    Gwynn .000 6 AB (Better than Abreu?)
    Victorino .118 BIG DEAL (Even SVS could do that!)
    Rameriz .143 BIG DEAL
    Ellis Mark .176 (Platoon player)
    Cruz .188 (Where are Dee Dee and Sellers?)

2 guys have carried the Dodgers over the last week
    AJ Ellis .412
    Kemp .409

And for the last month
    Kemp .344
    AJ ELlis .323

11. the truth hurts says:

ya, Dee Gordon has his work cut out for him….

I don’t think we throw him back into the fire until Cruz proves he does not belong which is far from the case right now.

Send him to AAA and let him work on his bunting, hitting and fielding, fresh start in 2013.

I am perfectly happy with Cruz Control right now.

Keep in the back of your mind. Chicago White Sox are saying they will not pick up the player option for Youklis. Hmmm? 3B? But that’s next season….

This season:
    Hanley looks more natural at SS , Cruz looks pretty good at 3B for now. Dee may be S.O.L. for now. I look for him to see some AAA time then be brought up for pinch running situations. Dee will be good. Maybe very good. He needs to calm down and his errors will decrease. He is young. I see durability being his major issue. For god sake he is 150 lbs!!! What’s his Trde value? You have to at least consider it.

Victorino hasn’t looked great but I still trust him more than the LF carousel we had going. Hanley steals the headlines for a walk off hit but he gives away at bats during the middle innings that are going to cost us ball games. Jansen continues to make me nervous. I sometimes wonder if we are watching Broxton 2.0? Wait until the pressure is really on. Which Jansen shows up?

Ain’t that the Truth………………….

14. Rob says:

With Gwynn DFAed how the hell is Uribe still on this team. This decision puzzles me, firt abreau now Gwynn! I can understand bringing sands up but get rid of uribe please.

Rob,

That is why! Gwynn goes.

16. Rob says:

I just hope when kennedy gets back they send uribe packing