A Long-Needed Blowout

The Snakes dropped to 5.5 games in back of the Dodgers.  They are what we thought they were – a .500 team AGAIN, for the 18th time this year.

Jerry Sands was 2-6 with a triple and 3 RBI last night.  He has 23 HR, 90 RBI and is now hitting .296.  Juan Uribe is hitting .186 on the other hand, and while he can play several positions and has a good arm, the Dodgers simply don’t need him.  They could us a 1B who can actually hit and Sands is as hot a you can get right now.  DFA Uribe and call-up Sands.  Play him at 1B for a week.  See what happens.  What do you have to lose?

• Yasiel Puig was 1-4 in his RC debut.
  • Joc Pederson hit 2 HR for RC – he now has 15 and went 3-3 to raise his batting average to .309.
  • Ted Lilly pitched one scoreless inning at RC and struck out 2.  Maybe he’ll pitch out of the pen if he comes back.
  • Randy Choate really doesn’t want to be in LA.  He has an ex-wife with his 8 and 10 year-old daughters there.  I think his head is somewhere else.
  • Brandon League is struggling with mechanics and a non-sinking sinker.  Nice trade, Ned!
  • Matt Magill  pitched 7 strong innings (0 runs, 1 BB, 11 K’s) to raise his record to 10-8 (3.75 ERA).
  • Scott Elbert faced 2 batter at AA last night and struck out both.  He’ll be back very soon.
  • RDLR pitched 3 strong innings in AZ Monday and should be  turning it up.
  • Chris Withrow pitched 1.1 innings and struck out 3 to get his 2nd save of the season – he also walked 2 and gave up a hit and run.  Maddening….
  • Corey Seager had a triple and 2 RBI’s last night and sits at a .303 BA.

36 Responses to “A Long-Needed Blowout”

1. emerson-Lake says:

Hey Mark–good to see you’re still here! Do you happen to know what’s up with John Ely? He’s putting up great numbers and is looking like he might actually be a good major-league pitcher–has he developed any new pitches, or had a significant increase in velocity? Also Corey Seager–his error total is scary–any explanation of how he makes them, or if the Dodgers are worried?

I think Chad needs a nickname like Lasorda gave to Orel back in the day. Instead of Bulldog what about Bullfrog? Any other suggestions? Chad looked pretty good last night. Nice to see the bats come around. Has anyone else seen enough of Uribe for a life time? Kennedy is also on my last nerve. Let’s get a win for Kershaw today. Go Blue

Good wins against a good team. A great sign.

Easy Button

4. gionfriddo says:

Everybody feels the same about Uribe @ this point in time– I have been done with Kennedy from day 1… 36 yr old 2nd baseman who have been let go by 4 organizations in 4 years are brought in for pinch hitting and that’s it.. they are not brought in to get starts during the heat of a pennant drive, especially with 45 games left and with every game being important.. I’ve said this for months in regards to Uribe and it applies to Kennedy as well– there is NO reason either should start a game from here on out– With a healthy Ellis @2nd and with Cruz getting big hit after big hit, neither player should see the field unless a pinch hitting appearance is needed in a extra inning game.. If Ellis or Cruz need a breather for a game I would much rather see Herrera get the start to replace either Cruz or Ellis…

I agree with both of you.

As for Bills: Well maybe there is magic in that beard. This guy has been consistently gutless throughout his career and suddenly he is pitching with confidence. Over the last 4 years Chad gets a quick 2 strikes then nibble and gets cute and falls in love with his cutter until he walks a guy or gives in to get lit up. How many times have we seen him strike out a bunch of hitters but have 90 pitches in the 4th or 5th inning?
    Now Chad is throwing his curve ball more and its a good one. He even mixes in that Padilla-style SLOW hook that looks like a bugs bunny pitch. I love it. Plus the ball is in play more. He doesn’t waste a bunch of pitches on batters and he is making it 7 or 8 innings now.
    If this is the new Chad we are locked and loaded down the stretch. If this is a mirage we are screwed.
    I’m rooting for him. This is his shot. If he falters look for him to be in another uniform next year as there is no doubt Stan, Ned, & company will be looking to cash in what value he has left for an upgrade somewhere else.

Interesting matchup at 12:30pm today. Strasberg vs. Lincecum

We have Kersh at 4. This is getting fun!!

Dodgers/Giants neck and neck in mid-August is the way it should be

Agreed Dodgers vs. Giants down the stretch is always fun!

Lincecum has been so bad lately hopefully he doesn’t let us down today! HAHA

Melky Cabrera is suspended for 50 games starting today.

The cheaters in SF continue to cheat.

F em!

10. GoNzO says:

I knew it was too good to be true. Melky, an avg player putting up insane numbers for him. He took a gamble and lost BIG TIME. If the Dodgers don’t take advantage of this we don’t deserve to make the playoffs.

Bills is pitching with balls now literaly. I hope he develops a mean streak and figured it out or like it was mentioned before he is long gone.

11. gionfriddo says:

Melky Cabrera– I always wondered how a guy could do so poorly in NY (.249 in ’08) and then completely imploding in Atlanta in ’10 (.255 while drawing the ire of Chipper Jones for a bad attitude) to then suddenly get 201 hits for KC last year.. fast forward to this year and he’s on pace for another 200 hits and a .340-.350 avg.. So, the million dollar questions— Did he finally figure it out all of sudden and put his talent to work or was he helped by IED’s to get to his current level of play??? Will anybody ever know?? Bonds, Ramirez, McGwire, Palmeiro, A Rod, Clemens, Melky, and the list goes on and on… Bottom line, they stain the game

12. Rob says:

Midget fans are in disbelief up here in northern Cali, it looks like someone just shot their dog when they heard about the melk man aka the juice man

Pitt / Dodger series is starting out with definitions, that -

The Dodger might be sending the Pirates down the poll, and out of the race in their division.

That Hanley R. has that “big swing” tapping the ball down the third base line like a bunt and getting a hit, while scoring a run. He has that down pat.

That Jansen can do the job in the 9th inning.

Melky is a cheater. But for me I’m not gonna jump all over the Giants and say that is what they always do or cheaters always cheat. I felt like such a hypocrite after years of booing Bonds in Dodger Stadium then having Manny on our squad post positive test. Finding oout guys like LoDuca and Gagne were cheaters too? It just felt dirty.

I think we never know who is gonna get busted on what team. It could always be one of our guys.

So with that said i think that gives us an advantage! And I will take it any day!! HAHA

Word on the street is the Giants are looking at Soriano who just cleared waivers. I don’t want to see that happen. I don’t know why but that guy scares me…

Perfect Game for King Felix

mannnnnnnn i want him so bad as our #2!!!!! or, 1A

16. Jae says:

Giants Suck!

17. Bball says:

It really just blows my mind that players still think they can get away with this type of thing. I will say this at least he manned up and said he took something he shouldn’t have. Unlike a fake MVP we all no

The Giants just lost…………………

19. RogerCraig says:

The Dodgers are now in sole possession of first place. Hopefully, it will be so after tonight’s game.

I watched the last of the perfect game. Something else.

Watched the last inning of the Giant loss.

BUT I DISCOVERED SOMETHING – saw the Giant mascot. Got me to thinking . . . .

The Dodgers do not have a MASCOT. And here is an idea:

Get one that is puggy – in Dodger dress – and call him TOMMY D.

After the spirit of Tommy Lasorda. Tommy will not be around forever, and this could keep his spirit alive. TOMMY D.

Thoughts . . .

21. Bball says:

I like it roger. Now that u say that that has me thinking of pirates stadium and all it’s statues. I think the dodgers need something like that. Scully, lasorda, robinson. That’s just 3 I’m sure you or others could come up with others. Maybe that’s in the plans of renovation this off season. Thoughts

22. Bball says:

Anyway when September call ups come. We see puig. I’ve never seen him play and would really like to

Another great win.

Dodgers just running away with this thing!!!

24. gionfriddo says:

Jerry Sands tonite(the game is still in progress)– 3-5, 1 HR, 2 RBI.. he is @ .299 now with 24 HR, 92 RBI… I have doubts if he ever puts up half those of those #’s in the bigs.. However, one thing is for certain, HE IS DESTROYING AAA pitching and he has nothing left to prove there..DFA Uribe and bring him up now….

Who are these guys?

They are who we thought they might could be if everything went right. Let us hope this surge continues. The snakes look lost, and the gints best hitter, unlike their former best hitter, got caught. Some people say (don’t you just love that line) that S.F. cannot win without Melky in the lineup. Hope they are right. I don’t know how they have won with Lincecum carrying a 5+ ERA.

Sands. We are all in agreement on him. This is a year that could bring him valuable experience. It’s not like he could do worse than Uribe. Bring him up.

26. Rob says:

This road trip was what the dodgers needed. Get away from home and gel together. No pressing at home trying to get that big hit especially the new guys. So far so good, one left in Pitt and three in Atlanta “let’s do this”

1. [...] A Long-Needed Blowout Chad Billingsley looks like a Number Two to me.  Fear the Beard.  The Dodgers needed a blowout last night.  Almost everyone got in on it.  It’s only one game, so they have to come out and win again today behind Clayton Kershaw.  1-0 or 11-0 count the same. The Snakes dropped to 5.5 games in [...]… [...]

2. [...] – truebluela.com 08/15/2012 Dodgers Minor League Report for August 14, 2012 more… A Long-Needed Blowout – ladodgertalk.com 08/15/2012 Chad Billingsley looks like a Number Two to me.  Fear the [...]

3. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]