30-20: Do The Dodgers Have It In Them?

The Dodgers started the season 30-13, so they are 30-39 since if my math is correct.  There are 50 games to go and this team has shown they are fully capable of going 30-13 or 30-39.  Can they go 30-20 the rest of the way?  Absolutely they can.  Will they?  They have did it before – that’s all I know.  Down the stretch they were one of the best teams in baseball last year.  Through May, they were the best team in baseball (record-wise) this year.  So, to say they can’t do it, especially with the additions of Victorino, Ramirez, League, Blanton and Choate would be just plain ignorant.  To say that they will do it is equally stupid!

The Dodgers are fully capable of running off a big winning streak – they have proven that, especially with their solid pitching (2nd in baseball).  A team with good pitching will always be dangerous.  They have also proven that they can be as inept as anyone when it comes to scoring runs.  Ramirez and Victorino have been pressing – of that I am sure, but they are both too good to have that happen long-term.  Up until last night, the team has underperformed with the bats for a while.  If they can step-up, it could be all over.

The D-Back are 1 game over .500 – I believe they are what they are – a .500 team.  The race will be with the Giants who seem to have a better Tim Lincecum.  I have no clue what will happen.  The Giants are challenged offensively too.  The Dodgers could go 30-20 and win 90 games and the division or they could go 20-30.  Here we go….

Chad Billingsley with another quality win last night.  Can we trust him yet?

If forced to predict, I would predict that the malaise has lifted and you will see a different team on Friday in Miami.  That’s all we can hope for.  Victorino, Kemp and Ethier seem to be awakening, and as maligned as Mark Ellis is, he still has a .360 OB% in the #2 hole.  I’ll take it.  This team can do some damage – IF THEY CAN HIT THE WAY THEY ARE CAPABLE.

Until this year, Loney was a lifetime .290 hitter – he’s at .252.  Juna Rivera is a lifetime .264 hitter.  He’s at .250.  Ramirez is a lifetime .300 hitter – he’s at .244.   Uribe – forget about Uribe.

AJ Ellis, Kemp, Ethier, Ramirez , Victorino and Loney (yes Loney) are all capable of hitting .290+ (some a lot higher).  This team does have hitters, unlike what some fans try and say.  Dodger hitters have underperformed collectively this season, which means one of two things:

1. They suck; or
  2. Watch out when they wake up!

Dodger News

• Congratulations to Mr. Misty May.
  • Yasiel Puig was 2-3 last night and is now batting .407.  He’s a man among men at Rookie League.  Enough already!  Skip A ball and move him to Chattanooga.  Like NOW!  He’s obviously ready!
  • Tony Gwynn, Jr. cleared waivers and is headed to Albuquerque, as is Jerry Sands (Adam Kennedy is baccccckkkkkk).
  • Sands time will be next year.
  • Contrary to reports, Alex Castellanos is not playing 1B!  He’s staying at 3B.
  • John Ely pitched a shutout at Albq yesterday (12-7) and has a 3.25 ERA.  He also struck out 8 and walked 1.  That is amazing for AAA!
  • Elian Herrera was 3-3 with 3 RBI in the second game of a double-header and is hitting .336.
  • Joc Pederson is on fire and is hitting .302 after going 2-3 with 2 doubles and 2 walks yesterday.  His stock is exploding.  He could see some time at AA the last week or two… maybe.
  • Pedro Baez is at .140.  What?
  • Corey Seager is hitting .288 and has 14 errors in 28 games.  And you though Dee Gordon was bad?  He’s doing quite well actually.

16 Responses to “30-20: Do The Dodgers Have It In Them?”

“This team can do some damage – IF THEY CAN HIT THE WAY THEY ARE CAPABLE.”

That is true. And that is true with a number of teams.

“Dodger hitters have underperformed collectively this season”

Yes they have. But I ask again, what bat comes to L.A. and actually gets better? This is a notorius pitchers park. Imagine what Matt Kemp would do in a stadium like the one in Houston. He would put up Barry Bonds numbers down there. Loney? I think Loney has been taken over by a walk-in. Uribe? Anyone really surprised? Same with Rivera.

Yes, it’s true they have did it before. But can lightning strike twice?

Have to be careful with honesty in a biased chat room, but you know I always speak to what I consider truth. And, the truth is, I see 4 teams in the NL that are better than the Dodgers.

I think the Reds can win this thing. I think the Natnals can win this thing. I think currently the Braves and Pirates are better than the Dodgers. I also think that if the Dbacks ever get it together, they can put together a win streak that can get them back into this thing. I have never believed the gnats are all that good, yet there they are, in first place and scoring 15 against another team I think could win it – the defending champions.

Yes, I do believe the Dodgers can also win it. But, the odds are currently 18-1. Another move is likely needed to get them closer. The one thing the Dodgers do have in their favor is Matt Kemp.

Yes. Puig to AA. Put that $42 million to work in a place that could prepare him to step in next year.

Casstellanos and Ely are nothing more than trade chips. The same might be said about Sands.

2. the truth hurts says:

one thing we have learned over the years is that you can NEVER trust Chad Billingsley!

Although he has been very impressive of late, we have been down this road before.

Maybe Hanley has some tension he wants to unleash in Miami? I hope so.

3. Rob says:

I hope Morneau gets put on waivers, we could use him to plug the huge hole we have at first. The twins are reluctant to let him go because he is getting hot but you never know.

Gwynn to AAA and Abreu cleared waivers. I don’t think Bobby will go to the minors however. He would be a good left handed hitter off the bench. Are we keeping Kennedy? Adam and Uribe must have photo’s of Mark and Ned dancing naked with a donkey in Mexico. We need to get hot starting now. Oh where oh where has Hanley’s bat gone?

5. Rob says:

This road trip will define what type of team this is. Hopefully the pressure away from home will help the bats to come alive.

6. Win for Vin says:

LA Times just said Sands is going back down…and looks like we’re keeping Uribe for the long haul…good grief…We might as well get Walter Mattthau to lead us now.

7. Anonymous says:

So this season is becoming – a learning experience for the new owners. That adding a couple of pieces at the deadline was good, but might not bring this team around.

They have a double task: 1) re-build the pitching staff so that the team has 5 or 6 starters without arm problems and guys that can be counted on.

2) re-build the starting lineup. Get a pretty solid 3b, and same for 1b, then I move Dee Gordon to 2nd base. He would do fine there. HanRam at ss is fine.

3) the about works out – then Ellis behind the plate will work, unless a new name comes forth.

Apparently Abreu has agreed to report to ALBQ., and along with Gwynn could be called up to come off the bench in September.

I don’t believe there’s any real reason to move Puig up to A or AA. I believe the minor league season is over at the end of August, and that instructional league begins in September. I don’t think he’s played in quite a while because of a suspension in Cuba, and perhaps the Dodgers just want him to get his feet wet for now, and in the instructional league, before sending him to either Latin America or the AFL during the winter. I don’t think there’s any reason to hurry, and I doubt if the Dodgers are planning for him to play in LA next year. Although I guess anything is possible.

I don’t think “He’s a man among men at Rookie League.” Probably more like a man among boys. Hitting rookie league pitching is not something to get excited about, especially in the offensive environs of the Pioneer League in general, and Ogden in particular. Let him get some playing time over the winter, and see what happens in the spring. It the Dodgers re-sign Victorino (or someone similar), then there is no hurry to move Puig along. Let nature take its course.

By the way, why isn’t anyone calling for Honeycutt’s head? In the past I’ve heard all kinds of suggestions that the Dodgers hire a new pitching coach. Hitting has been a long term problem in LA, no matter who the hitting coach was, including Mattingly. Maybe the problem is having hitters like Uribe, Loney, Juan Rivera, etc. How come A.J. Ellis has figured it out this year. Must be the bad coaching.

Brooklyn, I have called for a new pitching coach over the past several years (several times) – but the reality is, I would like to see a list of names for the position, first. Then some evaluation of their styles and effectiveness.

I’m just saying . . .

Welcome to Los Angeles Dwight Howard!!

Now sign the extension so the drama doesn’t continue next year.

Cool. I think he will sign the extension. Once he gets the feel of a championship environment, that town and that team will become his. Kobe and Pau have a couple of good years left, Howard is only 26, his ego is already the size of Los Angeles… it’s a perfect fit.

Speaking of winning, read in today’s paper that Mattingly believes Ramirez can get it back and be “the” guy. He compared him to Kemp. That would be nice. If he does start hitting, this team just might have enough.

Why did they bother to bring Sands up?

“Why did they bother to bring Sands up?”

Good question. Beats me. In fact, why did they call him up only to give him limited playing time? His only chance was to have gotten hot from the get go, and forced the issue. I don’t see the sense in it, but what do I know?

3 at bats against Colorado and then he was banished. He’s had 221 ab’s in the bigs and hit .244 with them – which is considerably better than Juan Uribe’s last 221. Sands will be 25 next month. If we aren’t going to us him, then just trade him to Philadelphia. They know what to do with ex-Dodger outfielders.

What happens if Abreu and Gwynn play everyday in ALBA and regain their form thus hitting .400 each? :)
    They would then be of help in the playoffs that the Dodgers will not make!

Hanley’s bat has slowed down and he has fallen into the same trap as most hitters. Instead of trying to regain bat speed he has made numorous changes to his swing thus needing a complete ovehaul most likely not attainable until the off season.

According to Mattingly and Mota, they have diagnosed the problem and are addressing it.

Guess we’ll see about that, won’t we.