What The Dodgers Need Right Now

The Dodgers Bench is in good hands with Rivera, Abreu, Hairston, Gwynn, Hererra and Cruz.  Great Bench!  Unfortuneately, most have been starters and therein lies the problem.  Note:  Adam Kennedy is not on the list, although he isn’t as bad as some may think.

Catcher – The Dodgers need for AJ Ellis to just be AJ Ellis.  .270 with a .350 OB% would be fine.  After a good start, Matt Treanor has become … well, Matt Treanor.  Maybe FedEx gets a look-see?

First Base –  James Loney needs to step up and have a second half like last year (not likely) or the Dodgers need a new First Baseman.  I think the later is likely.  Bye, Bye Sweet Baby James.

Second Base – The Dodgers need Mark Ellis to be the Mark Ellis of April and May.  If he is, second base is no problem.

Shortstop – As frustrating as Dee Gordon was, he was going through a learning process and was taking baby steps to getting better.  The best the Dodgers can hope is that Cruz can step up for a couple more weeks.  Dee should be back by September, if not before.  Cruz is all there is.   Not likely he can keep it up, but it’s a nice story.

Third Base – Hairston has been great, but it’s not likely he will keep it up.  Juan Uribe, by just walking out the door would automatically make the Dodgers better, even if they didn’t replace him.  He’s by far the worst player in MLB and just needs to go away.  NOW!  The Dodgers need help here and they could have had Youkilis, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  Stan Kasten wrote a letter to Dodger fans that I’m not even going to reference because of the Youkilis debacle.  IDIOTS!  MORONS!  IMBECILES!  SAVAGES!  Other than that, they are fine.  Magic WHO?

Left Field – If the Dodgers had power at first base and third base, they could afford Tony Gwynn in LF, they don’t and they can’t.  I am almost of the opinion that you put Sands, Van Slyke or Castellanos there and play them every day.  Pick one.

Center Field – Matt Kemp has to come out in the second half and be the MVP.  Can he do it again?  That’s the question.

Right Field – Andre Ethier need to be what he is capable of being – that is a .300 hitter with 30 HR and 120 RBI.  If he can put up those numbers, the Dodgers will be much better.

The Pitching will likely be upgraded with Ryan Dempster and/or others, but the Pitching is not currently the problem.  Lack of hitting is.  Cole Hamels will take too much in the way of prospects.  Cross him off your list.  Over the winter, the Dodgers may have a shot at him, but the prospects he will require will be just way too much.  Ted Lilly and RDLR will be back as well.

The Dodgers need to upgrade 3B and 1B.  Headley appears to be the only viable option at 3B and he will cost a lot.  An upgrade at 1B may mean taking on a huge contract.  You know who that could be…

25 Responses to “What The Dodgers Need Right Now”

Mark Ellis of April and May won’t likely happen.

Hopefully Ethier and Kemp do happen. If they don’t, this team is done.

What the Dodgers need is great pitching and another bat. If all they get at the deadline is Dempster, that could help IF Kemp and Ethier regain their early season form. Sometimes it just doesn’t happen that way though.

I don’t care what Cole Hamels takes in the way of prospects. I give ‘em up and give Hamels what he wants in the way of a contract. It’s Guggenswindler’s money, what do I care? With Hamels, the Dodgers have Kershaw squared and nobody is going to want to face this team in a short series. The bats can come later. And they will if we have the pitching staff set up.

I agree with most of what Badger said. I Think I like Mark Ellis better then he does. I am hoping for Hamels in the off season just because I want to keep the prospects and believe we can sign him over the winter. It sounds like the Phillies are trying to keep him, according to MLBtrade rumors. I think we have too many positions to fill to make a serious run this year however I’m along for the ride. If we got Hamels, Dempster and Headly, then it’s time to pull up a seat. I was glad to see the NL kick some AL A$$ tonight. The NL homerun derby team was a joke.

I like Ellis. But those months he hit .273 with an OBP near .380. I just don’t think he can do that in the second half. It would be great if he did. And who knows, maybe with Ethier and Kemp hitting behind him, he can do it again. I just am not counting on it. His three year splits have him at .267 and .317. I got a feeling by the end of the year he will be closer to that than his April-May numbers.

Getting Hamels is going to take everything we got that anyone wants. It would be some very creative GM’n to get all of those players you mention, and I don’t see that out of the character we have playing that role now.

I think the talk is the Phillies cannot carry everybody they got. Take a look at Cots and you will see they have a payroll of over 172M now, are crappy and adding another 20+ million a year ain’t gonna change the crappy part of that equation. They should dump a bunch of contracts and re-sign Hamels, but doing that is much easier said than done. I think these guys may be in trouble.

4. jeff says:

Would love to get Hamels but I think that is an offseaon move. Headley, Chris Johnson and Aramis Ramirez are the best options at third, not sure of their availibility. I think Dempster is almost a done deal. The only problem is I’m afraid Dempster will be packaged with Soriano, not Lahair. Hopefully the time on the dl will help Ellis do well in the second half.

You are probably right about Mark Ellis’s stats Badger. If he hits in the 2 hole and moves the runners over he will be doing a great job for the team and taking a hit with his personal stats. He may not get the chance to hit to the right side as much with Dee out of the lineup. We’ll have to wait and see but I like him hitting second. All I’m saying is sometimes the stat sheet doesn’t tell the true story about a player.

I know I’m the big minority here, but I won’t be opposed to Soriano in LF for us (provide the Cubs pay a HUGE portion of his contract and we don’t give up super top prospects).

He still has big time pop. Bat him 6th, and he could really help lengthen the lineup.

7. JOSEPH OLIVAS says:

DEMPSTER, B LAHAIR, & HEADLEY WOULD BE A DREAM 2 ME IF THE DODGERS GET THOSE 3 I GUARANTEE A WSERIES!

Maybe the Dodgers get BOTH Soriano and Dempster from the Cubbies in exchange for a low level prospect, IF they take on more of Soriano\’s salary? Soriano would look OK in the 6 or 7 spot.

Soriano. Yeah, he would be better than what we have out there I suppose. 18M a year for a .8 WAR player. Yoiks.

How come the dbacks can sign Jason Kubel and the midgets can sign Melky Cabrera in their off seasons and we get guys like Rivera and Abreu and then end up talking about taking on a guy like Soriano?

I am really looking forward to a different model.

I think the new ownership want to make the post season in the hardest way. So they can say, they came into the Dodger situation when fans physically left the team (attendance) and the roster was terrible because of lack of fund available by the former owner.

That they made the changes necessary to make the post season and put the Dodgers back with pride and a winning attitude.

The key is this — after the last month — they see that this roster cannot win, cannot score, and enough is enough.

Continuing on my thought above:

Overall, the Dodger record is 47-40; 87 total games played with 75 games left.

The Dodger team record for the first several months is as follows:

April – 16 – 7

May – 16 – 12

June – 11 – 17

July – 4 – 4

If we cherry-pick and look at the record since June 11, it is 8 – 18.

If ownership does not make some major changes soon, I do not see a big swing from losses (without much hitting at all) to wins – WITHOUT CHANGES.

Without some major changes – I would not even think of a .500 finish for the rest of the season.

Yes, Kemp and Ethier will help, but then you still have: Cruz (replacing Gordon), Herrera, Kennedy, Uribe, Gwynn, Rivera, Ellis, Hairston, Ellis, Loney Abreu rotating to fill out the lineup.

This surrounding rotating lineup just are not hitters especially facing the other teams the Dodger face. There is better and better pitching out there, and teams with far better production players.

There is work to do . . .

I think that without any moves we could play .500 the rest of the way. That is, provided Ethier and Kemp play strong for us. If they can lift the team on their backs, we may be able to do better than .500, especially with a healthy Dempster added.

Just watched a piece on ESPN about how many teams are looking to be buyers. It’s actually a great time to be sellers. You want to add some minor league depth? ….. now is the time to do it. I agree with Roger that the new owners don’t want to do anything conservatively. As you know, I am usually all for being progressive in your thinking….. I am just not so sure that draining what little we have in our system is a good idea this year. We still have a couple of weeks to figure this strategy out.

11. Corey says:

I would love to see us get Headley for 3b and Morneau for 1b. We get some average and pop at 3b and some pop with at least the same average loney’s been giving us. I think that gets us in the playoffs, where we have a chance with Kershaw, Capuano going well. Wait until the offseason to make a run at Hamels and maybe Josh Hamilton. While I would love to see Hamels here now, I think it would absolutely gut whatever prospects we do have.

12. Kevin says:

According to this we are in talks with the Cubbies about Demster or Garza. Which would you rather have? I know Dempster is having a better year but I might lean towards Garza. I think a change of scenery could be just what he needs….and he was productive in the AL East so he can certainly pitch in the pitcher friendly NL West…..right?

Garza.

I still think whoever gives enough for Hamels will only do so if they are convinced they can sign him long term. It would be to our advantage if a team like Pittsburgh landed him for a run at it. They won’t sign him long term.

14. ken says:

What the Dodgers need now is power sweet power,
    It’s the only thing that there’s just too little of.
    What the Dodgers need now is power sweet power,
    no not just for some but for everyone.

Lord we don’t need another injury,
    We’ve had 15 Day and 60 Day DL trips enough so far,
    There are road trips and day games enough to bear
    Enough to last until the end of time

What the Dodgers need now is power sweet power,
    it’s the only thing that there’s just too little of,
    what the Dodgers need now is power sweet power,
    no not just for some but for everyone

Maybe if the dodgers had not drafted so many pitchers they would actually have some position players to replace these bums, has beens, and never weres. The Dodgers have 3 Angel rejects that should be role playing bench players.

15. ken says:

Ned – Man up.

Put Coffey on the 60 Day DL
    Bring up Fields
    Send Herrera to AAA for 10 days.
    Bench Uribe and give him 10 days of massive workouts and batting practice.
    After 10 days decide whether to keep Uribe for the rest of the year or DFA him on 7/22/12

Ned – Man up.

“Ted Lilly and RDLR will be back as well.”

I wouldn’t count on it. Maybe Lilly comes back, and maybe not. And if he comes back it can only be hoped that he would be the same Lilly that we had before his injury. He might be good, but he’s not someone I would be counting on.

RDLR?????? I’m not sure I want him back this year. I’ve said this before, and I’ll repeat it again. RDLR coming back for the Dodgers later this season is not the same as Stephen Straburg last year. Strasburg came back last year near the end of the season, and pitched in only 5 games for a total of 24 innings. And it was for the non-contending Nationals. In other words, he was pitching in non -stressful innings, and was under no pressure to perform well. RDLR would be returning in the midst of a pennant race, making his innings stressful, to say the least. It’s not an environment I would like to see him return in, and I’m hopeful that the Dodgers see it the same way. I don’t care how well he’s throwing on the sidelines. Game conditions are a lot different, and game conditions in the heat of a pennant drive are different to the nth degree. I would prefer to see RDLR pitching in games for the first time in instructional league. But that’s just my opinion.

I’m not in the least bit worried about surrendering prospects for Hamels. Under McCourt the Dodgers were non-players in the international market. In fact, I believe they were at the bottom of the barrel with respect to spending. The recent signing of a plethora of international players, including $42 million for Yasiel Puig, signals that the Dodgers have returned to the international market in a big way, and that we can look forward to the farm system being replenished rather quickly. And with money to spend on free agents over the winter, and the ability to pick of large contracts in trades, I am not in the least bit worried about losing a few minor league prospects.

And while more power would be nice, I’d be satisfied to see consistently good hitters at the corners and in left field, accompanied by lots of extra base hits (not necessarily homers ), and high on base percentages. And additional pitching is necessary, if only because Lilly cannot be counted on, and Eovaldi/Billingsley have yet to demonstrate consistency. And in Eovaldi’s case, the inconsistency may be just a case of his being young and inexperienced.

Well said Brooklyn.

Leave RDLR alone for a year. Let him rehab the right way. There is no need to rush him back. Yeah, I know, the drs. say he should be able to pitch competitively before the end of the year. Screw that.

And whatever it takes for Hamels. The package starts with our 5 million dollar bonus baby. He must be included in this as he is our only B+ prospect. The Dodgers just have to let Hamels know that HE is the guy they want. I think he wants to pitch out West – at least that what he is saying. Who knows, maybe it’s a ploy to get more out of the Phillies. But the Dodgers path is clear. Go for Hamels. If we don’t get him, then it’s because HE decided not to play here.

In the mean time, if Hamels and the Phillies take it to the wire, then what the Dodgers do is keep the top 3 prospects and take on Dempster’s contract. That might have to include Soriano, which could actually benefit both he and the Dodgers as Chicago sure ain’t working out and the Cubs want to get rid of him. If the new owners are serious about taking on payroll, here’s their chance to prove it. Let Hamels know that he is their first choice by offering a great package for him. If it doesn’t work, then all we can do is take our chances that he doesn’t sign with the Rangers, Cardinals, Indianns, Nationals or the Yankees. Watch the Cubs get into it if we take on their bad contracts.

19. wayne says:

I’ve always been a “Dodger” and I think I really bleed blue. It kills me that the Dodgers aren’t competitive the way they should be.
    They need to get rid of a lot of dead weight. They say their shooting for the moon, well let’s act like it instead of not even getting off the ground. It’s been a long long time before they won anything.

Please GOD make this team win again!!

20. wayne says:

Hi it’s Wayne again–

Why is it the Dodgers can’t trade for a power hitter. I was going to say another power hitter, but they only have just a very few as it is. The pitching is fine, if I say so myself, and I do say so myself. They should make a package deal, put all the dead weight in one bag, and get someone with some pop. I didn’t say it would be that easy, but it shouldn’t be that hard. If the new owners really want a great team, then they should a little MAGIC!!

1. [...] this link: What The Dodgers Need Right Now Tagged back, dee gordon, james, james loney, los angeles, mark timmons, pitching, problem. [...]