There’s More Than One Way to Skin a Cat

Ryan Dempster wants to be a Dodger, not a Brave.

The Cubs feel they have no leverage on the Dodgers because of Dempster’s 10-5 rights.

The Dodgers need a hitter (or two) as well.

The Cubs are re-building and want salary relief.

The Dodgers want to win and have bucks to burn.

I have the perfect solution and this may be the perfect storm.

Here’s the deal:  The Dodgers trade James Loney, Chris Withrow, Scott Van Slyke,  Juan Uribe and Shawn Tolleson to the Cubs for Ryan Dempster, Bryan LaHair and Alfonzo Soriano.

Hold on, listen up!  This makes sense.  Trading Loney, Uribe and Tolleson clears up roster space.

Dempster is owed about $6 million this year.  Soriano is owed about $46 million over this year and the next two.

That’s a cool $52 million!

Loney is owed about $2.5 million and  Uribe is owed about $11.5 million.

The Cubs save $38 million and get the opportunity (or not) to retain Loney (Fresh Start) and have one more year of Uribe.   They also get 3 good prospects.

The Dodgers get a 1B who hits righties (.315/.385/.545)  and is a perfect platoon partner with Rivera, as well a power hitter in LF (Soriano).  Soriano isn’t what he once was (.274/.324/.505 with 19 HR), but he has played pretty well this year, and can probably play effectively another year.

This isn’t a bad lineup:

1. Gordon  SS (I still believe)
  2. Ellis  2B
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Ethier  RF
  5. Ramirez  3B
  6. LaHair/Rivera  1B
  7. Soriano  LF
  8. Ellis  C

Starters:

1. Kershaw
  2. Dempster
  3. Capuano
  4. Lilly
  5. Harang
  6. Billingsley

When  you can’t trade, buy the other team off.  The Dodgers have that luxury.

15 Responses to “There’s More Than One Way to Skin a Cat”

I had to skin a rabbit once in Marine Corps survival training. Disgusting.

But this plan does actually work….. except for the Cubs taking Uribe part. I might also point out that LaHair is a pretty good hitter that makes less than a half million a year. Why would the Cubs give that up? Just so they could take on Loney?

• Mark_Timmons says:

$38 million reasons. LaHair will be 30 next year. He can\’t hit lefties and $38 million reasons.

2. Mike Dixon says:

You do realize this will never happen right?…

I’ll give you $36 million reasons why it could!

Interesting idea.

I really hope Ned goes for the stud pitcher. I don’t trust any of Bills/Cap/Harang/Lily/Fife in a game 2 of a playoff game. U just don’t know who will show up. After Kersh, we need that #2. Please go get us Josh Johnson!!!!

Playoff game?

If the Dodgers don’t get some bats, I doubt there will be a playoff game this year. This team just doesn’t hit well enough, even if we do get more pitching.

38 million reasons huh? That’s a lot of reasons. I agree it will never happen. I wonder how bad Soriano’s bat would be coming to Los Angeles? He will be 37 next year and is owed $18M per for the next two years. Who the hell gave him that contract? OK…. how does he like hitting in L.A.? Well…… .143 over the last three years so he has that going for him.

Why would we want that guy here? Pretty sure the Cubs would love to dump him on somebody. I just hope it ain’t us.

6. Gionfriddo says:

I could deal with Sorianos’ contract but no to LaHair and his hot April and May.. Get Dempster and Victorino and let’s roll ….

I wonder how the present Dodgers feel about reading names of this guy and that guy might be coming in a trade to LA — now.

I mean, our guys HAVE brought us this far.

And adding this new guy from the orange state — and the Dodgers have lost both games he has played.

Pitching is now falling apart.

I like LaHair and Dempster, but I wish they could work out a deal without Soriano. I hate wasting so much of the new owners money so early.

If Soriano was 5 years younger with that contract I might think it could work. But, come on, his 37 and 38 years? This isn’t the steroid era anymore. He was an All Star seven years running, but that ended in 2008. He might hit .270 in L.A. with 20 homers and 70 RBI’s. For $18 million? Is he that much of an improvement on a Rivera Abreu platoon?

I would hope we can do better.

Having said that, he would be better in lf than what we have now.

I want a Jacoby Ellsbury or Hunter Pence, or David Wright, or Josh Willingham, or heck, let’s go back to Justin Morneau.

I just don’t know what 28-32 year old hitters are going to be available this week.

Roger, if the present guys don’t like hearing all these names, all they need to do is kick it up a notch. Rivera, Abreu, Loney, Uribe – all of them know what they need to do. Just do it. Your time is running out.

10. SpokaneBob says:

If the new owners are going to spend I believe it will be for players who can help beyond this year….players who have some gas left in the tank. Soriano is close to running on flumes and his poor defense will only get worse. Pence would be better and I wake up each morning looking for another Hanley type surprise. I expect some good things to happen between now and Tuesday.

11. Kevin says:

I like your thinking Mark but no way the Cubbies want or need Loney. I’m pretty sure they are set at 1B with Rizzo for years to come.

12. Kevin says:

Also do we really want to get strapped with Sorianos salary for the next few years which would prevent us from possibly making more moves?

1. [...] the rest here: There’s More Than One Way to Skin a Cat Tagged angeles, dempster, dodgers, hanley ramirez, isn, juan uribe, los, los angeles, los angeles [...]