I want you to answer each of these three questions realistically and honestly (no matter how much you hate the player):
- James Loney projects to hit .245 with 3 HR and 44 RBI this season while his seasonal averages are 10 HR/63 RBI and a .284 BA. Do you expect him to keep hitting as bad as he is? In other words, is James through?
- Juan Uribe projects at .187 with 2 HR and 23 RBI. Is that the best he can do, since his average season is 13 HR/53 RBI and a .251 BA? Is he finished?
- Is Adam Kennedy capable of hitting .289 with a .348 OB% like he did in 2009 or is he toast?
I am not being sarcastic here, but my opinion is that the above three players have lost their mojo and it is not likely to come back … in my lifetime. That being said, the Dodgers should move and move swiftly.
The three answers are: Alex Castallanos, Scott Van Slyke, Josh Fields.
Does anyone here think it’s possible that those three players could put up 4 HR and 51 RBI’s(because that’s all that Kenedy, Uribe and Loney have done in over half a season)? 1B and 3B are power positions. Not for the Dodgers! Most teams have 25-30 HR and over 100 RBI from those combined positions.
Nearly two-thirds of the season is gone. I will ask three more questions:
- If James Loney and Juan Uribe weren’t being paid nearly $14 million, would they be on the team?
- Kennedy is not being paid that much, why is he on the team?
- Would the Dodgers be worse with this lineup?
- Castellanos LF
- Ellis 2B
- Kemp CF
- Ethier RF
- Rivera/Van Slyke 1B
- Fields 3B
- Cruz SS
- Ellis C
While they are at it, put Ellis at #8 and tell him to just do what he did earlier in the season to get on base. Now, I know that Casty and Vanny were not impressive when they were up… BUT NEITHER ARE LONEY AND URIBE! Fields deserves a look and Kennedy is not ever close to “below average.”
Josh Fields really does deserve a shot. Kennedy, Uribe and Loney deserve pink slips. Ned should swallow his pride and dump them. Even Ray Charles can see they have no value. Play the kids – it can’t hurt. In fact – it might help! The Dodgers need some new blood. Bring it on!
Maybe they will fall flat on their faces, but Loney, Uribe and Kennedy’s faces are flatter than a pancake!
What is the holdup, Ned? I don’t hate any of those players (OK- I hate Uribe a little), but it’s time to move on. Past Time!
I know this is a difficult trade market, because teams want a bonanza for their players (I get that), and I still believe the Dodgers will make a good trade or two – especially if Stan fires Ned right about now.
P.S. I’ll probably post once a week until someone steps up.