The Ten Minute Drill

I guess I haven’t found anyone who wants to take over this blog, and I do watch the games, so even if I can’t put much effort into it, I will give you 10 minutes a day.  You have to supply the rest.

• The Dodgers aren’t making dope-fiend moves, although I still think Dempster can take the Dodgers to the World Series.  I would trade Zach Lee Straight-Up for Dempster (I don’t have high hopes for Lee).
  • Hanley Ramirez is thought by some to be a LF or 1B – many say he can’t play 3B or SS anymore.  I’d put him in LF.  I just don’t know who the Dodgers would trade for him.
  • If they aren’t going to bring Josh Fields up, then bring Alex Castellanos up to play 3B.  Quit screwing around.  He has minor league experience there and he is playing there now at AAA.
  • John Ely deserves another chance.  He has a 3.34 ERA at Albq – Wow!  That is amazing!
  • Expect the unexpected on the trade front.
  • Gould, DeJesus, Castellanos, Withrow and FedEx for Chase Headley.  I’ll take him over Casty…
  • Chad Billingsley –  You can’t kill him…
  • Junkyard Dogism is alive.

49 Responses to “The Ten Minute Drill”

1. Dusto says:

I’m probably too young to write here. It’s the older crowd blog.

2. El_Che says:

Mark you didn’t see anything in Lee when you interviewed him?? Nothing stood out?. And trading him for Dempster is a horrible eyedea . I have no problem trading him but not for a rental.

Many of us, compared to many of you, are old Dusto. But, why would that keep you out? As long as we are respecting each other, it can work.

Thanks Mark. This is the only place I am posting anymore. MSTI is just too damn busy to get any kind of dialogue going. I think that’s true with a bunch of these sites. At least in here, you can have a conversation with Dodger fans.

Interesting that HanRam might be available. (I have no idea if he is even called that) After we get Garza, what do we have left for Hanley?

Watched the dbacks with a buddy tonight. Kennedy is looking like the Kennedy of last year, and those guys can really hit. If Upton and Young ever get it going, they can get hot and put together a very good month or two.

The wife is visiting her family in Orange County and after talking to her tonight, I think she wants to move back there. That is where I grew up, but it was sure different there in the 60′s and 70′s. Not sure I would be a good fit now. Love Northern Arizona, but the wife is allergic to junipers and Arizona Cypress – and we live in a forest of both.

4. Rob says:

If you have an ERA under four with the isotopes it’s a huge accomplishment.

5. ken says:

2nd best ERA in MLB and the Dodgers are looking for another pitcher. Smoke screen or just plain moronic?

Make up for past sins and just over pay for Headley. On the other hand, O’Malley may just decide to never trade with the Dodgers.

Send Tolleson back to AAA and bring Ely up to be the long anticipated much needed long reliever than no other Dodger pitcher is allowed or is able to be. Or fife or Antonini, just get a real long reliever that Donnie T-Ball might have confidence in and will not pull after one base hit.

So far Cruz is a good platoon compliment for Gordon.

Mark – None of the old junk yard dogs want to hit clean up so pick 5 guys to write one day a week.

Abreu is either done or trying to pull too much. Correct your swing or retire.

Uribe – just retire.

Donnie T-Ball sure shows his contempt for Loney and Wright. Why not show more contempt for Uribe? Geeeeeez!

I still question the entire LA farm system.

Logan White is supposed to be star in his position. He oversee the draft and players.

Dodgers are supposed to have many solid coaches in the minors.

I know that in the McCourt years, he did not spend the money on international talent.

But — the Dodgers just do not have any depth at all in the minors.

Pitchers who are wild, trying to find control. Hitters who can hit there, but not up here.

Maybe there needs to be some new coaching in places . . . the new guys (signings) will be moving along — and we do not need to make mistakes with them.

There appears to be some with pitching talent. Withrow, Gould, Reed, Ely, Lindblom, Rodriguez, Lee, Eovaldi, Webster… and others. I guess none of them are considered A prospects, but they are all B’s which means they could easily have respectable careers in the Majors. Castellanos can probably play, FedX can play, looks like Pederson might move up….

but, I would rather see most of these guys moved in trades for bona fides and start over with rebuilding the system. This year’s draft somehow looks better to me… guess we’ll see about that.

We actually have some of our own grown on a second place team right now. Maybe it’s not as bad as it looks. Kemp’s pretty good. Gordon could be great. Kershaw and Bills are ours. Ethier came in a trade but has become ours. Ellis, Guerra, Eovaldi, Lindblom… the 40 man has several that came through our system. But I agree that it could, and should, be better.

• Roger Dodger says:

Of course, we see on other teams — some great young talent coming up — but many of those teams were drafting high because of finishing so low in the standings.

But what about the Angels and their young studs??? Or were those just lucky picks???

7. Bobbie17 says:

The organization doesn’t seem to be able to give the young pitchers confidence to succeed at the major league level. You have to trust these guys. Eovaldi is being given a chance. The young bullpen is being given a chance. So maybe things are changing. Angels and Giants seem to have more success at this. I don’t know why. It has to be an organizational thing. Maybe the whole minor league system needs a good enema and a fresh start.

8. Gionfriddo says:

Per Bob Nightengale & Ken Rosenthal, both Hunter Pence and Han Ram are being eagerly shopped by the Phils and Marlins, respectively. According to Rosenthal, the A’s, Blue Jays, and Red Sox are in on Ramirez.. either one of these bats thrown into our lineup changes the offense dramatically– the next 7 days are going to be interesting to see how everything shakes out on the trade front…

I’d hate to make rash moves for the sake of making a move, BUT it would be nice to improve this club with at least 1 offensive move by the weekend. Why? The series in San Francisco!!! It would be a huge shot in the arm to this club to have renewed energy and make a move in the standings as well.

I sort of agree with Mark here when he says “Expect the unexpected”
    Something tells me there will be movement and a name we don’t expect is coming to LA

10. Gonzo says:

What Bobbie said. James McDonald. The team wanted too much too soon and our wonderful GM shipped him to a place where young players are allowed to get their feet wet.

The barren minors happened on Logan’s watch. Wasn’t the plan to get young pitchers in the draft to develop and use as trade chips? Yeah McDouche was the man behind the plan but when the dodgers finally have money they don’t have prospects and when these players were considered prospects the team hadn’t any money.

Mark I like kens idea of 5 writers, you should consider it.

11. Anonymous says:

Speaking of the Mets, I wonder if Daniel Murphy is available. I believe the Dodgers were speaking to the Mets about him during the past offseason. He’s got a good bat, and would probably be more than OK defensively at 3B, and could also play 1B if needed. In fact, he’s currently doing a good job at 2B for the Mets, has 30 doubles, and although acquiring him wouldn’t be cheap, it would certainly be a lot cheaper than Wright. Just a thought w/o having any idea what it would take to acquire him, or if the Mets are even interested in moving him.

12. Mike says:

Hey Mark…I’m a lifelong Dodger fan. I’d be interested in taking over the blog. Send me an email and we can chat about it.

13. jerry says:

i like cruise over gordon any day..gordon is over rated..to many mistakes

If Hanley is available, he should be our top target over the Garza/Dempster types.

Kemp Ethier Hanley is a great 3/4/5

To get a quality player like Ramirez from Miami, will take more than a few minor leaguers. Most likely a player or two from the 25 man roster.

Like Eovaldi or Guerra or Lindblom, or Billingsley or Jansen . . .

Just read Jim Bowden says “Brewers would love to turn into Aramis Ramirez into Zach Lee. ”

Do we like that deal? 3B is solved for a few years if we do. Hmmm?

• Michael says:

I would include Zach for Hanley, Headly or Garza but not for Aramis. A Ramirez is 34 now and has clearly seen his better days. He only has 10 HR this season so this isn’t the masher from his heydays. An upgrade yes but if we trade Zach I would expect a player with an upside.

Guess the fat lady hasn’t begun to sing yet because Dempster has the Cubs talking to us again.

17. Glass Is Half Full says:

I’m all for moving Zach Lee in the right deal. I think he is probaly over-rated. I saw him pitch in Rancho Cucamonga earlier this year and was not all that impressed….He blew away hitters one inning and got lit up the next…

I don’t post much but I am a daily reader…..feels like my “Dodger family”!

• Michael says:

Glass, you are part of the family. You go back years but for the life of me I don’t recall what you used to go by here.

Go Dodgers

• Bobby says:

I agree as well. This board, at least the vast majority of it, has intelligent, varying opinions without badmouthing each other.

People may disagree, but at least their points are based on fact based opinion and not stupidity!

i was in SF the past 4 days. I had to flip off ATT park every time i passed it

• Glass Is Half Full says:

“I had to flip off ATT park every time i passed it”

Hope you used both hands Bobby

• Bobby says:

and a few toes! F em. i hated seeing all those SF hats up there.

I hope I don’t get that job i applied for just so i dont have to move up there!

This will be interesting for sure. But I go back to my earlier point : I want something done before we get to San Francisco. It would be great to hit that series with a little more pep in our step. Maybe its just me?

I heard something about a deal involving HanRam. Boston sends Crawford and a prospect for Ramirez. Could that only be part of it? I mean, why would Miami want that Crawford contract? Could Crawford end up in L.A.?

eh, that trade just doesn’t make sense on the surface. Boston needs pitching and Miami doesn’t need to inflate their payroll.

20. pro867 says:

Badger, I was wondering the same thing about that marlins / bosox deal. The other player I believe was Heath Bell. Maybe the Marlins keep him and flip Crawford and the huge contract for one of our pitching prospects and another of our position prospects?

21. Corey says:

sorry, that pro867 post was me

22. ken says:

Trade for Ryan Roberts before 5 PM today. He is better than Uribe.

On Roberts………I agree with this one. He is a better spark off the bench than our current crop. Kid got some game.

As long as he checks physically, I would love to see Carl Crawford in Blue. He was an All Star, Gold Glove Silver Slugger Award winner before he signed that contract. It doesn’t seem to be working out in Beantown, he needs new life and I think L.A. would fall in love with this guy. He’s only 30 and nobody else is going to want to pick up that contract. Just a thought. I have so few these days, figured I should share that one with you.

When I first heard HRam had punched a fan, I thought it was an actual person he hit… and I figured he was done in that town. Turns out it was rotating cooling device he punched out. Heard it was a sucker punch too… fan never saw it coming. Why he would do a dumb thing like that is beyond me.

Looks like a lot of players are seeking new addresses. Wish I had more confidence in my GM. Come on Jed, surprise me.

I’m glad the ace decided to show up today.

So much for Dodger pitching.

Maybe Billingsley and Kershaw are changing places . . . as #1 & #2.

Dodgers need hitting more than pitching. HITTING. Hitters.

25. ken says:

It takes an intelligent man to manage a MLB baseball team and a man with …. to take out the ACE of the staff when he threw too many pitches in the previous start, it is 100 degrees and he gave up two runs in the prior inning. Naw it just takes someone with brains and someone that does not show favoritism.

26. Dave says:

Latest web rumor is that Dempster REALLY wants to be a Dodger and is forcing the Cubs hand…possibly…just a rumor of course. Centerpiece of the possible trade would not be Lee as the Cubs want but Webster instead.

27. Win for Vin says:

I lived in Miami for 4 years and saw Hanley Ramirez play…nice bat, has a glove like skinny swag Gordon…but is lazy as #$%#. And when he’s doing bad…he gives up…no heart. My two cents.

28. GoNzO says:

Hey Badger…SUPRISE!!!!

29. El_Che says:

Fuck yeaa!!! Hanely for Eo

30. Rob says:

Hopefully a change of venue will make him grow up. I like the baseball player he is but not the man.

31. Bobbie17 says:

More lazy players?????? How about getting some of the hustling A’s players? Or, as usual, when they get to LA they become lazy. Why is that? Let’s get some energy on this team. It usually comes with younger players who have something to prove or nothing to lose. Keep trying, Ned. Ramirez is a good start.

1. [...] link: The Ten Minute Drill Tagged castellanos, chad, chad billingsley, dempster, dodger, don, lee, los, los angeles, play, [...]