Rant and Rave Monday

• Dee Gordon’s injury is bound to keep him out of the lineup until after the All-Star Break, likely longer.  The MRI today will tell the tale.
  • The Junkyard Dogs are back after a brief vacation.   Next man up!
  • Nate Eovaldi who has struggled of late, goes against LH Wade Miley who has been great this year… up until his last start, when he gave up 8 runs.  In his previous 5 starts, he gave up 8 runs total.  Let’s hope for “Bad Miley” tonight.
  • Hiroki Kuroda is pitching very well now, but I’ll still take Capuano and Harang over Hiroki.  Shoot, I’ll take Caps over him.  At the halfway point, Ned looks good on this one.  Maybe not some others…
  • Russell Martin is at .178 with a .297 OB%.  What on earth happened to him?
  • Carlos Santana is hitting .218 with 5 HR for the Indians.  His star is waning too.
  • AJ Ellis is better than both Santana and Martin.   WOW!
  • Kenley Jansen is really varying his speed greatly while using just one pitch.  I guess that works.
  • Josh Fields is hitting .332 at AAA, but with no power.  That is puzzling. He is on track to strike out 140+ times too.
  • Ethan Martin got the loss last night at AA, but pitched 6 innings with 5 hits and 2 ER while striking out 5 and walking 2.  His ERA sits at 2.99.
  • Garrett Gould pitched 6 innings of two hit ball in getting the win at Rancho last night.
  • Matt Kemp played with Joc Pederson and Leon Landry last night and went 2-4 with 3 RBI while playing CF.
  • Steve Nash isn’t the player he once was, but he may be enough to bring another title to the Lakers.  One year, maybe two – then the Lakers will have to blow everything up and move on without Kobe and Nash who will both be in wheelchairs by then.  Rumor has it that Grant Hill might be coming.   Again, he’s not near what he once was, but he’s a smart role player.
  • I’ll take a split with the D-Backs, but a sweep would be better.

9 Responses to “Rant and Rave Monday”

Thumb injuries can be very problematic for athletes. Those of you who have ever had one know what I mean. It could linger. Not much we do that doesn’t involve the thumb.

The junkyard dogs have had very good pitching. They have not scored more than 3 earned in quite some time.

Russell Martin’s body is junk.

Fields BA at Albuquerque means nothing.

Gould and Martin are only B prospects. Martin has been inconsistent and has 49 BB in 93 IP, though his last two starts have been impressive. They start blowing people away at AA and then we got something. Until then.. eh. I would happily use them both in a trade for a legit bat.

I would rather Matt Kemp was not in the HR contest.

I too would take a split with dbacks. They looked good for a few days, then, not so much. Both teams are 3-7 in last ten.

Bynum for Howard and I am a believer.

Badger, I too had a right hand injury.

While pitching slo-pitch softball in Hawaii back in 1975 while on vacation; I was a visitor helping a friend’s church team, I had to cover home on a throw from the outfield (it was the last inning of the game and the team put a young kid in as catcher and I knew he could not handle the throw, so I covered) — anyway, using someone’s else glove — the throw was perfect, but the big glove – ball dropped out — I reach down picked it up with my bear right hand and tagged the runner coming by. Out. But my hand was pushed back by the runner’s hip — and I felt a sharp pain.

That was the end of the game — but that night the hand started to swell. Went to Trippler Medical Hospital the next day — x-ray’s showed a hair line break. The doctor said, it was just like the one Jimmy Wynn had. Doc put a cast on the hand up to the elbow.

I was stationed on Johnston Atoll then, and flew back the following day — when the plane landed our softball team met me at the small terminal — and when they saw me in the cast they all turned away — BECAUSE the Johnston Atoll softball championship was to start the next day. As the pitcher on the Air Force team — I could only watch the games.

Oh, the Air Force flew me back to Hawaii three or four weeks later to have the cast removed, x-rays, and the doc check it all out. He did, and put another cast on and told me to wear it for three more weeks and they could remove it on the Island and I would be good then. So it was six week with the cast/s.

Had to learn to write with my left hand, as best I could.

Lesson learned — hands are important and just a small brush with something can cause problems.

If one has never been to Johnston Atoll (Island; 750 miles southwest of Hawaii) here are some images:

Great softball field, nice par-3 golf course. But everything has been torn down, destroyed and the Island is totally empty now — because of Agent Orange.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Roger,

We are doing a water purification plant at the Bikini Atoll (Marshall Islands). Is that the same area? Actually, it\’s on Kili Island.

“If one has never been to Johnston Atoll?”

Are you freakin’ kidding me? Talk about a spot on the map…. and a nuclear test site to boot. They actually had enough people for a softball league there? Looks like an 10′ wave would wipe the place out.

I had a sprained thumb for one year of high school baseball and it never healed. I just went through various stages of jamming, re-jamming and pain for the entire season. You could be reaching for toilet paper and jam the damn thing. Every move is painful.

4. ken says:

Nice 20 minute interview with Kemp on Dodger Dugout

Was Gordon carrying batting gloves in order to prevent injury? Probably not. There goes the bunting practice for a month. Maybe he can learn how to switch hit while on the DL.

Wow – First place again! Only 3 MLB teams with more wins than the lowly dodgers. AZ lost 5 games in a row – Need to split this series and rest during the All-Star break. 48 wins at the break is cool. A sweep would make 50 wins. Just sayin!

Dodgers have been lucky and taking advantage of the other team’s errors just like in the good old days (MAY 2012) :)

Don’t look now but Kennedy has the best batting average over the last 7 games for any starter with more than 10 ABs. He will be around for a while. Maybe now he will earn his pay. Dodgers need good role players to win this thing.

Bringing up Cruz was a brilliant idea! Even when he goes into a slump he will be better than Uribe.

Nash will help the Lakers to disappoint their fans even more. Lose in game 7 of the Western finals in 2013 unless they find another good starting small forward. World Peace is becoming Uribe.

Jansen’s pitches do not always move the same so it looks like he is throwing more than one pitch.

5. Kevin says:

Never thought I’d say this but Adam Kennedy has been putting together some pretty good AB’s lately. His uppercut swing is ideal when we have a man on 3rd and less than 2 outs. I recall him having a few sac flies over the past week or so. His defense leaves a lot be desired but I don’t cringe as much as I used to when he’s walking up to the plate.

Mark, try Google Earth — place in one Atoll, then the other and you will see the earth spin for a bit.

Video (had not heard the song before, some interesting video) on Johnston Island (or Atoll) —-

Dee out 6 weeks after thumb surgery.

Hopefully this Luis Cruz can handle it!!! If not, Dejesus can go back to SS for us I’m thinking?