Do You Like to Wait?
I didn’t think so. The same Dodger fans who lament the losses of Pedro Martinez, Carlos Santana, Shane Victorino, James McDonald and others, are also the same ones who complain when a young player doesn’t immediately make an impact. Look, baseball is not an easy game and for every Bryce Harper or Mike Trout, there are dozens of Cody Rosses, Shane Victorinos, Joel Hanrahans and James McDonalds. It’s not unusual for a player to take 6-10 years in the minors to realize their potential. Van Slyke, Sands and many others are still young in baseball years. Be patient.
First Place at the Break!
I’ll take it! 5th best record in the N.L. 1st in the N.L. West. OK – next man up! After the break, the Dodgers need to go into “Beast Mode.”
More Help is Needed!
Well, Kevin Youkilis was 3-4 yesterday for the ChiSox. Whoever made the call to not get him was an idiot and I will keep saying it. Friday the 13th is Blogger Night at Dodger Stadium – I wish I could be there to ASK Ned if he was the dumbass who didn’t want to pursue Youkilis. I can’t be there as my wife and I are headed to Newport, Rhode Island to celebrate out 15th Anniversary – maybe someone else will ask the question. I doubt it.
Here’s the long and short of it though – the Dodgers need addition and subtraction. The Dodgers need to jettison James Loney and Juan Uribe. Loney has some value, somewhere… but not much. The targets are Chase Headley for 3B and (HERE’S THE SHOCKER) Adrian Gonzalez for 1B. OK, here’s the deal: Gonzales is under-performing in the AL and the BoSox have BIG salary problems and need pitching. The Dodgers can take on salary, so let’s look at what it might take.
- Chad Billingsley, Allen Webster, Chris Reed and James Loney go to the Red Sox for Adrian Gonzalez. The Dodgers also send $20 million in cash to the Red Sox.
- Zach Lee, Shawn Tolleson and Leon Landry go to the Padres for Chase Headley.
- John Ely and Jerry Sands go to the Cubs for Ryan Dempster
- Release Uribe. Period!
Here is the Rotation:
- Eovaldi or Lilly
- Cruz SS
- Ellis 2B
- Gonzales 1B
- Kemp CF
- Ethier RF
- Headley 3B
- Ellis C
- Gwynn LF (defense)
The minors are gutted, but Martin, Eovaldi and Pederson and others are still there.
- According to multiple sources Ted Lilly is throwing off the mound and looking good. He’s eligible to come off the DL on around July 28th.
- According to Dylan Hernandez of The LA Times, Chad Billingsley is now Barbara Billingsley and is no longer the Dodgers #2 Starter. The rotation will be shifted at the break as I speculated last week.
- Hernandez also writes about RDLR who is headed to Rancho Cucamonga . He is throwing off the mound to live hitters and hitting 93 on the gun. He is hoping to be back in September. I would guess in the pen.
- Minor League Report:
- Matt Kemp was 2-4 in his last rehab game.
- Brian Cavazos-Galvez was 2-=4 with a HR and 3 RBI at AAA.
- Andres Santiago went t innings and gave up 1 runs on 3 hits and 10 K’s at Rancho
- Corey Seager was 1-5 with an error at SS.
- Jesmuel Valentin was also 1-4.
- Angelo Songco was promoted to Rancho. Ho-Hum.