Patience is a Virtue Most Fans Don’t Have

Do You Like to Wait?

I didn’t think so.  The same Dodger fans who lament the losses of Pedro Martinez, Carlos Santana, Shane Victorino, James McDonald and others, are also the same ones who complain when a young player doesn’t immediately make an impact.  Look, baseball is not an easy game and for every Bryce Harper or Mike Trout, there are dozens of Cody Rosses, Shane Victorinos, Joel Hanrahans and James McDonalds.  It’s not unusual for a player to take 6-10 years in the minors to realize their potential.  Van Slyke, Sands and many others are still young in baseball years.  Be patient.

First Place at the Break!

I’ll take it! 5th best record in the N.L.   1st in the N.L. West.  OK – next man up!  After the break, the Dodgers need to go into “Beast Mode.”

More Help is Needed!

Well, Kevin Youkilis was 3-4 yesterday for the ChiSox.  Whoever made the call to not get him was an idiot and I will keep saying it.  Friday the 13th is Blogger Night at Dodger Stadium – I wish I could be there to ASK Ned if he was the dumbass who didn’t want to pursue Youkilis.  I can’t be there as my wife and I are headed to Newport, Rhode Island to celebrate out 15th Anniversary – maybe someone else will ask the question.  I doubt it.

Here’s the long and short of it though – the Dodgers need addition and subtraction.  The Dodgers need to jettison James Loney and Juan Uribe.  Loney has some value, somewhere… but not much.  The targets are Chase Headley for 3B and (HERE’S THE SHOCKER) Adrian Gonzalez for 1B.  OK, here’s the deal:  Gonzales is under-performing in the AL and the BoSox have BIG salary problems and need pitching.  The Dodgers can take on salary, so let’s look at what it might take.

• Chad Billingsley, Allen Webster, Chris Reed and James Loney go to the Red Sox for Adrian Gonzalez.  The Dodgers also send $20 million in cash to the Red Sox.
  • Zach Lee, Shawn Tolleson and Leon Landry go to the Padres for Chase Headley.
  • John Ely and Jerry Sands go to the Cubs for Ryan Dempster
  • Release Uribe.  Period!

Here is the Rotation:

• Hairston
  • Kennedy
  • Herrera
  • Abreu
  • Treanor
  • Rivera

The minors are gutted, but Martin, Eovaldi and Pederson and others are still there.

__________________________________________________________________

Update:

• According to multiple sources Ted Lilly is throwing off the mound and looking good.  He’s eligible to come off the DL on around July 28th.
  • According to Dylan Hernandez of The LA Times, Chad Billingsley is now Barbara Billingsley and is no longer the Dodgers #2 Starter.  The rotation will be shifted at the break as I speculated last week.
  • Hernandez also writes about RDLR who is headed to Rancho Cucamonga .  He is throwing off the mound to live hitters and hitting 93 on the gun.  He is hoping to be back in September.  I would guess in the pen.
  • Minor League Report:
  • Matt Kemp was 2-4 in his last rehab game.
  • Brian Cavazos-Galvez was 2-=4 with a HR and 3 RBI at AAA.
  • Andres Santiago went t innings and gave up 1 runs on 3 hits and 10 K’s at Rancho
  • Corey Seager was 1-5 with an error at SS.
  • Jesmuel Valentin was also 1-4.
  • Angelo Songco was promoted to Rancho.  Ho-Hum.

49 Responses to “Patience is a Virtue Most Fans Don’t Have”

1. Mike Dixon says:

Yawn…..

Mike Dixon is a critic. A critic is like a eunuch at a harem. He sees it done nightly, but is unable to perform it himself. All he can do is criticize.

Have at it you chump!

3. Jae says:

Why does that idiot Dixon even post?

If he doesn’t like what he reads he should leave.

I like the Adrian Gonzalez idea. It makes sense.

eh, Mike’s all right. Maybe he’s just upset because he sees how marginal the Dodgers really are. I mean… they are in first place. Could they win a series against any other first place team in the Major Leagues?

That rotation you threw out there would not win a postseason series.

Aside from Kersh, who’s never really done well in the playoffs anyway, does anybody really trust Capuano, Dempster, or Harang in a Best of 7 series??

Gonzales is owed 21 million for the next 6 years. And you want to send money to the Red Sox along with prospects? I don’t know about that one. And I don’t know why Boston would be willing to part with him. He hit very well last year with 117 ribbies and .957 OPS. A good second half will get him right back up there this year. He is only 30.

The building of the Dodgers might take some time. If we could get Headley this year, and if Kemp and Ethier come back 100%, I think there may be enough here to make a run at it. Let me emphasize MAYBE. But the long term solutions might not happen this month. You talk about patience, and I think you are right about it. I would be VERY surprised if this is THE year.

Agree with you about Loney, but I think we may be stuck with him. Who knows, maybe he continues to hit. A platoon with Rivera the rest of the year makes sense to me.

From what I saw today, up close and personal, I think Abreu would be excellent off the bench but has no business in left field. Van Slyke is very impressive in person, but can’t really anything with authority except batting practice pitching. Hairston is a player, but is really a utility player. Treanor can’t hit a lick. Gwynn is nothing more than a .250 hitting late inning defensive replacement. Cruz? who the heck knows, but I got a feeling the BA will continue to drop. Same with Herrera. Mark Ellis is a fine fielder, but I predict his average at the end of the year will be closer to .250 than .275. The team today was 5 for 31. They got 2 hits in 6 innings off a rookie starter that was drafted last year. 5 for 31. 1 late run. THAT is about as good as these guys are.

I can only hope that Kemp and Ethier light a fire under whoever is left and that we can get one good stick, and one good starter, at the deadline.

6. Broxton's Bunny Soul says:

I agree with you about everything but Youkilis. There is no way for sure to know if he would be hitting the same had we made the trade for him. He’s be in a different league, playing a different schedule, hitting against different pitchers, in completely different game situations.

He’s been injury prone the last two years. He hasn’t had the same production as he did in quite some time. I’m all for taking chances…. but I’m also okay with erring on the side of caution when the question marks are really prevalent.

7. Voldomer says:

Info from Kevin Kennedy’s postgame show: The Dodgers may be interested in the Rays’ LH reliever J.P. Howell, a move Kennedy strongly affirmed, and he also threw out James Shields as a starter possibility. He has info from a very reliable source that the Dodgers balked over the money the Red Sox wanted them to take on in a Youkilis deal.

Elsewhere, Hamels says some interesting things about the Dodgers in particular in this interview. I’m sure his teammates understand his situation, but I can also imagine some not caring for this sort of candor.

8. Voldomer says:

With Gordon down–and with the assumption that Ned can add a power bat at 1B or 3B in a different deal–might he be interested in a lead-off hitting left fielder batting .312 with a .349 OBP and 20 SB? Salary would not be an issue, and he shouldn’t cost an arm or leg in exchange (though admittedly he doesn’t bring an arm with him either). The player has long proclaimed he is in beast mode. ;-)

9. El_Che says:

Mark, what do you think about Joc Pederson should he be traded for a ml ready player to help right now or should we keep him? To me he looks like hell be a solid player

Volds idea of trading for Juan Pierre has short-term merit. He wouldn\’t cost much and would give the Dodgers a leadoff hitter.

On Pederson – he looks to be a stud, but you never know. It would depend upon the deal.

With the Braves,Mets,Reds,Cards,Giants and DBacks all in the Wild Card chase, it may be prudent to win the division.

Fine Wine takes time; but we may be able to pick-up a bottle of MAD DOG 20/20

12. the truth hurts says:

It just might not be our year….

13. ken says:

Verrrry interesting, but…

Season #1 record 9-1 As Mark predicted
    Season #2 record 38-39 As Badger Predicted
    Season #3 record?? 40-35 is Ken’s prediction
    Final 2012 record 87-75

No big trades as other teams do not like trading with Ned and they know how desperate the Dodgers are and will therefore ask for an arm and a leg thus disclosing the patience of Stan.

I think I had ‘em at 85 wins. That could still happen. But as the season progresses, and the other teams get mahoosive with it down the stretch, this team had better have everybody back at 100% or it could remain ugly.

I thought about Pierre too Voldy. But like Mark says, he is really short term and the way he was treated here he may not want anything to do with the Dodgers.

“it just might not be our year” – truth

uh…. in a word – yup.

We are getting close to the real looney season of trade talks. After this break, the writers, including us, are going to be yackin’ it up with barmy ideas. Phones are going to be ringing (not mine) and with so many teams still thinking they have a shot, getting the guy we want is going to be difficult. Headley will cost us our two best, or they will just go elsewhere. We willing to do that?

I agree with ken on how teams will be looking at the Dodgers so to pull this thing off is going to take a Kempian effort from everyone. If they have one more month of over-their-heads play in them, I’ll pick September for them to do it. In the mean time, we need to take care of business against the West. And be prepared for a whole lot more of “BEAT L.A.!” every game. Man that was annoying yesterday.

btw, in case you didn’t notice, there was only 31,000 at yesterdays game and I would say 20% of them were Dodger fans. For a series as important as that one was, the dbacks just didn’t draw that well. Shame really…. but…. good for the Blue.

Oh.. one more thing. There is still talk over there ———> regarding the dbacks trading of Upton. If they are serious, I would begin the talks with home town boy Ethier. It might even take more than that as other teams will be drooling at the possibility of getting that guy – and trading within the division usually takes more.

• Kevin says:

The Diamondbacks would have zero interest in Ethier after the contract he just signed. We just committed $100M to the guy and the Dbags still operate like a small market team.

Some interesting comments in here today. If the team isn’t currently as strong as it should be in order to compete for a title, is it the right time to gut the farm? I think making one or two minor moves to stay competitive without gutting the farm, pick up a few top notch free agents in the off season and make a stronger run next year. I just think we would need a stronger rotation and two or three more solid hitters in order to make a true run for the title. Get someone to work with Dee in the off season on this bunting skills. Just don’t think we can win the title with Gwynn, Cruz, Rivera, Herrera, Loney, Bills, Harang and Uribe. Just a thought

UPDATE ABOVE

What Bill just said makes sense to me. But, I doubt the Dodgers take a conservative approach.

UPDATE: …….. what about Ethier? Rotoworld says he is hitting now and could be eligible to be back by Friday. That would give the starting lineup a different look to start the second half.

I Uribe in the HR Derby tonight?

Roger, YES, at his son’s little league field shagin balls.

20. Leroy says:

Mark, any idea on when Pweeg gets into the minor league system? Also, what are your thoughts on him?

• Leroy says:

Also, I meant puig. Forget the phonetic part.

• Mark_Timmons says:

He is trying to get into shape. It may be August before you see much of him. I understand he was really out of shape. It makes me question his work ethic and commitment.

I hope I am wrong.

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today announced that outfielder Yasiel Puig has reported to the Dodgers’ Arizona rookie league team to begin workouts at Camelback Ranch – Glendale. The Dodgers recently signed the Cuban outfielder to a seven-year Major League contract.

“We’re thrilled that Yasiel has arrived in Arizona,” said Dodger Assistant General Manager, Scouting Logan White. “He’s athletic, intelligent and someone that’s ready to work hard and earn a chance to fulfill his dream of playing Major League baseball.”

He’s athletic, intelligent and ready to work hard. Heck, getting in shape at that age is easy. If he is in fact intelligent, he knows how important this is. He was signed two weeks ago. Two weeks of two-a-days is enough to get a football player ready, how much time does a guy somewhere between the age of 21 and 23 need?

State Farm is the key sponsor for the HRD tonight.

Too bad it isn’t Allstate instead.

They could take Dennis Haysbert — and have him out there as PEDRO CERRRANO, as he played the guy with the bat in the movie Major League.

Here is a quote from the movie:

Pedro Cerrano: Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.
    Eddie Harris: You know you might think about taking Jesus Christ as your savior instead of fooling around with all this stuff.
    Roger Dorn: Shit, Harris.
    Pedro Cerrano: Jesus, I like him very much, but he no help with curveball.
    Eddie Harris: You trying to say Jesus Christ can’t hit a curveball?

Pedro Cerrano: Hats for bats, keep bats warm.

Kemp shows the nation the true Dodger offensive capabilities!!

23. Gionfriddo says:

Mark, I was one of the naysayers on Youk and @ this point u are looking spot on.. He has something to prove to Bobby V.. Gould & Sands/Van Slyke equals Lillibridge & Stewart @ this point IMO … Should’ve Could’ve Would’ve …. Thx Ned

24. ken says:

Patience??

7 Days List

Treanor .000 6AB Too BAd
    Uribe .000 5 AB DFA Already!
    Gwynn .063 OK trade for Victorino
    SVS .143 Packing bags for AAA as we speak

Kershaw 8.44 Not again
    Bills 6.00

30 Day

Casty .000 AAA
    Uribe .102 “Be Gone”
    SVS .130 Wait til Next Year
    Gwynn .176 Getting Old
    Hairston .197 Ok Trade for Headley
    Herrera .200 Oscar Robles

Tolleson 6.35 He’s Back
    Eovaldi 5.72 # 5 Starter
    Bills 5.25 # 4 Starter

Team not looking so good these days is it.

Didn’t watch the home run contest. Couldn’t care less really, but, I do have a question….. did Kemp only hit 1 home run? If so, I think maybe I could have done that. (if they allow me to use my DeMarini)

25. Kris says:

Sorry Mark, too much for Adrian Gonzalez – 2 big league-rs and two top pitching prospects plus $20M? Gonzo’ stats are down this year, may be start of the long slide.

Interesting take. I just checked his splits and there is no suggestion of a let down pre and post All Star, so, hey, you could be right. Worth watching his second half. I don’t care much for his contract, but then, I don’t care much for any of those long, over 20 mil per deals. I kind of figure Boston is the best place for him to earn that money.

I would still like to see this team find the players that are on their way up. For me, that would be a player 3 or 4 years under 30 years of age. Post steroid era numbers are going to look very much like pre steroid era numbers. Things start dropping right around, and often before, the mid 30′s.

26. RogerCraig says:

Mike Dixon,

How is Mark wrong? He sad he was out of shape and the article Badger said he was arriving to work out. Evidently he is not in shape to play. I usually ignore stupidity but you take it to a level where it can’t be ignored.

Learn to read before you open your mouth and show your stupidity.

27. ken says:

Where is the post for 7/9 and 7/10? :)

Allstar break

Yeah? Who’s the All Star in this group?

Just got back from coffee with the boys in town and we had a celebrity sighting – Tatman was in the house. Once he got recognized he disappeared. Don’t blame him I guess – he was there with his wife and kids.

Anybody interested in the game today? Since we won’t likely be in the World Series, I don’t give a damn who wins. Still think this game deciding home field is stupid. Should be overall record.

Badger, did you ask him if he had fun beating up on the Dodgers before the break?

Actually I wanted to tell him I saw him on Sunday, but then I remembered he struck out three times, so, I didn’t. One of the guys in my group said “strike three” and that pretty much ended any conversation that might have begun. He smiled, grabbed his two kids and disappeared. Good looking family, and he is an impressive looking guy in person. Much bigger than I thought he would be.

And I regurgitate…. the dbacks, when they get it going, are an exciting group. If they get some pitching (2 starters currently down) they could win this thing. And as much as I hate to admit it, Kevin towers has always impressed me. The man knows what he is doing when it comes to building a baseball team. It would not surprise me if he found what he was looking for. He usually does.

30. GABE GONZALEZ says:

I LIKE THE HEADLY AND GONZALEZ IDEA THAT WOULD REALLY HELP US OUT AND I LOVE THE GETTING RID OF BILLINGSLY PART FOR DEMPSTER GREAT IDEA!

1. [...] is the original post: Patience is a Virtue Most Fans Don’t Have Tagged break, dodger news, la dodgers, mark timmons, minors, red, sox, uribe, years. Bookmark the [...]