Now What?

Realistically, Dee Gordon is out for the year.  Oh, he’ll probably be back but with the amount of time he will miss due to surgery, it’s unlikely he will be much of  a factor.  What should the Dodgers do now?  Herrera is not an everyday Shortstop, neither is Hairston, Jr. and forget about IDJ2 – he can’t cover enough ground.  Justin Sellers is out for the foreseeable future and Adam Kennedy and Mark Ellis don’t play the position.  Dee Gordon struggled, but his bunting was getting better and you had the feeling he was ready to turn the corner.  Not this year.  Oh well!

That just leaves Luis Cruz.  Are you comfortable with that?  I’m not.  I’m sure he can sub there, but is he ready to play everyday?  Should the Dodgers trade for someone else?  The pickings are slim.   With Stephen Drew back, the D-Backs might be persuaded to give up John McDonald, who is a defensive whiz, unless you think Wilson Valdez is an option.

I suppose Starlin Castro might be available, but it would cost an arm and a leg.  Not an option as far as I am concerned.

With the All-Star game in sight and the trade deadline approaching, I would try and trade for McDonald.  Jerry Hairston and a prospect should get that done.  My sights would be on Chase Headley at 3B.  If it takes Zach Lee to get him, I would do it.

Finally, I would target Michael Cuddyer.  He has a big contract that the Dodgers could absorb 100% and he can play 1B or outfield.  I’m not sure what the Rockies would want, but by taking all of his salary, I’m sure the Dodgers could do it.

By July 15th, this could be the lineup:

1. Ellis, M   2B
  2. Ellis, A  C
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Ethier  RF
  5. Cuddyer  LF
  6. Headley  3B
  7. Loney/Rivera   1B
  8. McDonald  SS

Does anybody have a better idea?

The Dodgers are still in 1st Place.  All I can say is that these guys are Junkyard Dogs!  I like that.  I like it a lot!

21 Responses to “Now What?”

Steve Nash.

Really? He\’s plays SS?

Who knew?

Bring up Saeger or Valentin for SS

4. jay says:

zach lee/withrow for mike olt….

5. Bball says:

Get Hanley that’s what u do. When Gordon gets back move Hanley to third

I live 30 miles N of SLC so MLB says I’m in the Snakes viewing area for a big blackout city. Bud should pull his head out. Tried Hidemyass but couldn’t connect. Help Mr. Wizard!

Nats just beat the doucheba_s. Life is good.

Roger, what a small world. I was stationed at Pearl Harbor in 1975 and my ship the U.S.S. Ouelette won the bases Championship that year as I was manning 2nd base. Maui Wowie!

Can’t really expect any offense from a replacement SS unless we go for Hanley or Starlin so I believe Jamey Carroll would jump at the chance. MVP MVP

I selected a set of numbers. I’ll go back and check cities, didn’t notice it earlier. Thanks man

These Dodgers of 2012 !!!!

Injuries like none other . . . key in pitching, hitting, speed, and evening fielding.

Yet, they are in 1st place in the N.L. West.

Many Dodger fans love it when the team calls up a minor leagues to try their stuff.

Sooooo Scott Van Slyke, it is time to earn your money and your position on the team.

Nathan Eovaldi, you need to step it up — or get more work on your game in the minors.

Welcome Luis Cruz, keep banging the ball . . .this team needs you. Hey, he is 6’2″ and 220 — so he is not exactly a 5’9′ short guy . . .

9. Anonymous says:

Would you trade Clayton for Mike Trout?

10. ken says:

Dee Gordon .229 .280 .282 OPS 56 17 Errors
    Wilson Valdez .231 .247 .269 OPS 38 1 Error

Comparing Cruz’ range versus Gordon’s errors I would just play Cruz until his BA drops below .229!

Not much of a drop off – No really!

McDonald on DL with Oblique. Maybe a trade at the end of July if Cruz crashes, D-Backs crash further and Drew plays well. Otherwise D-Backs may not trade McDonald.

Seriously, I think that Seattle’s Brendon Ryan (from LA) would be a great complement to Gordon for a couple of years, but only hitting .182 in 2012. (A career .247 hitter) Only 2 errors in over 600 innings. Seattle should begin selling in a week or two. Should be able to get him for a low level prospect.

Forget about SS for a while. Target Headley NOW!

11. ken says:

Why is Eovaldi not throwing his curveball and change up more often. The Dodger’s AA pitching coach thinks that Eovaldi has a good curve and a great change. Bad pitch selection or more dumb hype from the Dodgers pretending that they have some good propsects?

2 home runs?

Who are these guys?

But, once again, the pitching. Hold ‘em to 1 run. I would say that is a key to victory.

I don’t think a trade for a SS is needed. We got several back-up infielders, let one of them take over for a while. Kemp gets back in 3 games, Ethier will be back soon too… I hope. We can live without Gordon. And if Eovaldi can keep pitching like this, we may not need Hamels either.

It will still be 2 weeks before we really know who might be available. If the right fit is there, say Hanley or Wright, or Hamels, maybe Headley, somebody like that, then make the bid. If not, then who knows, maybe we ride this camel to the finish line. It’s a scrappy bunch and we do have pitching. If the midgets and reptiles that live under rocks don’t want it, then, just take it from them.

13. Kevin says:

I like your idea Mark but I think the chances of us pulling off trades with 3 teams in our division is about as likely as me playing SS for the blue.

14. Xeifrank says:

Considering it is Dee Gordon, Cruz/Herrera (whoever else there is) is good enough. Kemp, Ethier and the Ellis twins are really the only hitters I’d lose sleep over with an injury. Gordon has been improving (or regressing more towards average) but it doesn’t take much to replace what he has given the team so far this year.

1. [...] posted here: Now What? Tagged aj ellis, angeles, back, dee, dodger, dodgers, ellis, los, los angeles, los angeles [...]